Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

AKZ posted:

Not gun related, well the movie is, but not this particular scene. In the vein of realistically approaching things other movies take for granted in Blue Ruin when Dwight slashes the tire on the limo and his hand slides up the blade. Goddamn was that visceral for me.

Blue Ruin is really great at shattering revenge fantasy tropes, and showing how the reality would be sloppy and full of mistakes. Simple little stuff like slipping on the blood on the floor, or how not a lot of things are really effective cover in a firefight. It's like how everyone thinks they could disarm an active shooter if they had a gun, but they'd probably just endanger themselves and everyone else around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

Null of Undefined posted:

I loved The Lodge and it has one of the most effective gunshots that I've ever seen in a movie. It felt powerful in a way that they just don't in other movies.

I actually didn't even recognize Alicia Silverstone at first because I hadn't seen her in anything in years, and it wasn't until after that scene that I realized it was her.

I wouldn't say I loved it, but I appreciated that it's one of the few horror films in recent memory that pulls off several explanations which in the moment could each be equally plausible. Is she doing it to herself in a fugue state? Is she just crazy? Are the kids just extremely cruel? Are they all dead? Is someone else doing this to them? Is the cabin haunted? So I really liked that instead of just picking one of those ideas, it became a combination of a couple of them.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

weekly font posted:

Yeah thatís how/why Twitter tried to cancel him, he was exactly the kind of edge lord a decade or so ago as youíd expect from someone writing for Troma
Twitter didn't try to cancel him, it was a QAnon pizzagater with a bunch of chud followers who dug up dirt to smear him specifically because he disagreed with Gunn's politics. Disney just panicked when it went viral.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Anyways Hereditary was okay as a family tragedy but the minute it starts actually being about the Goetic demon stuff it disappears up its own rear end and loses any kind of emotional weight whatsoever. It's not a bad movie, particularly not by horror standards, but I'll never understand the people putting it on their best of the decade lists.
That was my problem with it too. It seemed like it was building a really good parallel of two ideas the whole time, and the last 10 minutes or so ruined it by doubling down on one instead of exploring alternatives. It also retroactively made the dad character completely oblivious and a mostly useless character. I will say it's a great looking film and nails the tone of growing dread, but the characters exist just to serve the plot instead of the other way around. Midsommar is pretty much the same way - it doesn't ruin its buildup at the end, but it has the same issue of characters making decisions based on what the plot requires them to do, rather than the characters moving the plot forward.

It does, however, have a great example of my favorite type of jumpscare: Where the scary thing is already in the scene, but the actual 'jump' comes as soon as you notice it (the mom on the ceiling). Other examples of this are the xenomorph head in Alien cosplaying as a pipe in the escape pod, and the creature in The Descent standing behind the group in the night vision shot. Anyone know of any other horror movies that do that kind of thing?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

Retro Futurist posted:

I think it's more that bad horror is still watchable. Like, a lovely horror movie can still be entertaining, but a lovely comedy is just a chore

Scifi is like this too, mostly because even bad scifi is often based on a halfway clever high-concept premise. Bad fantasy usually gets a pass for the same reason, especially dark fantasy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

I've seen plenty of sci-fi/horror, but have any movies - for better or worse - blended supernatural forces with aliens? Like alien demon possession, or undead/ghost extraterrestrials? It seems like it could be an interesting combination to mine content. I wouldn't really count Event Horizon, but maybe something with a similar feel.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

dorium posted:

Possessor is still good ya'll. just wanted to keep everyone aware.

Been meaning to watch this. Is the Uncut version better than the original release?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

As much as I love Sigourney Weaver, the Director in CitW really should've been Jamie Lee Curtis.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

FreudianSlippers posted:

Good fólk horror:

Not sure if it quite fits the mold because it's more of a mystical object than a folk creature, but Sauna is another great one that's pretty underrated. It's extremely good at slowly growing atmospheric dread, and it has gorgeous cinematography. I'd put it in the same category, at least tonally.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Anyone seen Synchronic and have any thoughts on it? I really liked Resolution and The Endless.

I enjoyed it a lot. It's not quite on the level of The Endless, which I think is easily their best, but it has a lot of interesting concepts. There's a great tie-in to the other Benson/Moorhead films if you're paying attention too. The drug is made from the same red flower.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

I didn't understand in Possessor why Vos had trouble using guns only sometimes. They make it a point to highlight that she chooses not to use her gun several times, but has no hesitation blowing away some people like Ava. Is it supposed to be a metaphor for her self-control? It felt like an inconsistent plot point.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Maximum Overdrive
Contains strong language, violence and bloody horror

And a whole lot of dragged out scenes where nothing happens for several minutes, but they don't spare a second of it. I rewatched it fairly recently and holy hell is it ever boring. Especially for what should be a fun concept.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

flashy_mcflash posted:

Goddamn Spiral sure drops off a cliff in that last act, huh? I was sort of digging it (or at least parts of it) until then but woooof that ending.
I thought it was pretty consistently weak throughout. The traps were kinda boring (and often not how human bodies work!), and as with the last several installments it relies far too heavily on everyone doing the exact right stupid thing at the exact right time, and conveniently being alone. They did a flashback montage of important lines 30 minutes into a 90 minute movie. There's also ZERO connection between Jigsaw and the copycat, so it's a very obvious handwave to use the gimmick. On top of all that, I really, really don't need topical social messages from Saw of all things.

I guess I watch these because I'm a sucker for puzzle horror, but I hoped that with a few big names it might be better than some of the franchise's stinkers. At this point they should do what every long running horror franchise does. Bring Jigsaw back through supernatural bullshit, then go full camp: Set one in medieval times and use ancient torture devices. Set one in space. Make Jigsaw an AI and upload him to the internet, and if you die in the game you die for real. Otherwise it's the same exact thing, just diluted a little more each time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

Benito Cereno posted:

Iíve been seeing the poster for this at the theater for the last few weeks and it piqued my interest, but I finally saw the trailer for it in front of the Conjuring today. Looks pretty sick

https://youtu.be/40ub6aBk4fo

Architectural horror and surreal dread? Sign me the gently caress up.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

flashy_mcflash posted:

Every time I've tried to watch an Underworld movie I've found myself wishing I'd put Blade on instead, or even one of the Blade sequels.
Worth it to see Triple H play Jarko Grimwood.

Jarko. Grimwood.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

It's really funny to see the disparity in quality between Rob Zombie's movies and Glenn Danzig's movies, as contemporaries of spooky 90s metal. Makes me wonder what a horror movie directed by Peter Steele would've been like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

So he'll direct the first act and then bail on the rest of the movie? :v: