Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Is anybody else excited for the Jaws 4K release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
I just finished Hereditary on Prime. My brain is struggling to process what I just saw.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

THE VAST OF NIGHT was alright! Worth a watch, but not really a horror movie-- this is lighter fare. I will say the writing for the entire first act is borderline insufferable. I have a high tolerance for that kind of thing, and even got close to turning it off a few times until act 2. Glad I didn't!

This was my exact thought as well. It felt like a short story stretched. The writing in the first act would have made Joss Wheadon embarrassed for how clever it was trying to be.

The long takes were fantastic, and the aesthetic of the time period was dead on. The physicality of the actors was awesome; it seriously felt like Fay had worked that switchboard for years.

It looked beautiful. So many great things about it, but the overall story kind of just falls flat.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Just finished Dead Heat (1988). Very much a product of its time. There was a script there, but at some point got reworked into a Joe Piscipo vehicle.

He can’t act his way out of a wet paper bag. Bonus points for any shot that has him in frame, and you can see his eyeline watching cue cards set up for him to come in on his dialogue, presumably because he couldn’t memorize his scenes.

On the plus side: Chinese restaurant kitchen scene. 😲

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Treat Williams makes it for me.

He loving carried it.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Are there any good Hellraiser Blu-rays? One and two would be wonderful if there were a UHD remaster.

Edit- I can’t even find a collection on amazon.

Wake_N_Bake fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 22, 2020

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

The Arrow releases of Hellraiser 1 and 2 are pretty definitive. The transfers are way better than those Midnight Madness blurays from Image.

Awesome. Picked those up. Shudder is running the Hellraiser series on shudder tv right now.

Also, don’t bother with Scare Package. I love anthologies, but it’s bad. Like reddit wrote it bad, and they couldn’t even afford to lock off the camera, so every shot is handheld.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love anthologies, and I just finished Scare Package on Shudder. Um, that was certainly something.

The bad was bad. The wraparound story was painful, as well as the dialogue in it. At least until it turned self-aware.

The acting and direction were all over the place, which is understandable given the myriad directors.

That said, short, quick segments worked well for this. If you can take the subtle and not so subtle references to other horror, it’s kinda fun. By the end I kinda appreciated the fan service. Which this is: 100% fan service.

Bonus points for the gore. Holy poo poo, awesome practical effects. Also a cameo in the final act.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

VoodooXT posted:

They charge immediately. One of the reasons I'm thinking about canceling my preorder with Shout once the preorder goes up on Amazon.

Yeah, charged me immediately. I figure it’s worth it. My gas budget is now firmly in ‘eh, spend it’ territory.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Thanks!

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

I have the 4k Halloween and I keep getting tempted to throw it on. Maybe even this weekend.

Do it. It’s a decent transfer.

Is Jamie Lee Curtis the best final girl?

Also turn on the commentary to hear her and John Carpenter snark at each other for 90 minutes.

Edit- watching Nightmare 3, and forgot Laurence Fishburne was in it, credited as “Larry Fishburne”.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

are those new Ft13th box sets still for sale? did anyone snag one what did u think

It’s pretty nice. The transfers that I’ve watched so far are really great looking. There’s a shitton of extras, of which I’ve barely scratched the surface, but there’s others here that can speak to those.

Worth $150? I’d say so; this is gonna be THE definitive collection for the foreseeable future.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

There’s four new Blumhouse flicks that just got dumped on Amazon. The Lie, Black Box, Nocturne, Evil Eye.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Any of those new Blumhouse movies on Prime worth watching?

Who am I kidding I'll watch them regardless

The Lie is about tension, not scares. It’s well-acted, competently shot and edited. 3/5.

I’m halfway through Black Box and I’m bored as poo poo.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Ramadu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUGfkayica4

yall

you need to check this poo poo out

A quick 90 min. It drags a bit in the middle, and any attempts at character development are laughably thin. The third act has some really fun effects and scenes- not gonna spoil it, but it’s worth the wait. Goofy but fun.

Thin characters and plot, fun gore and plot premise. Killer tension when a character is tracing network cables! I was waiting on him to bust out wire shark haha. (Not really a spoiler)

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Gary the Llama posted:

Don’t sleep on The Mortuary Collection, streaming on Shudder. It’s probably the best anthology since Trick ‘r Treat. The production design is off the charts impressive, and the practical effects are plentiful and lovely. The whole thing felt way more cohesive than most anthology films, which probably makes more sense once you’ve watched the whole thing. Hard recommend!

I LOVE a a well put-together horror anthology! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

For anthologies, I always enjoyed A Christmas Horror Story. Same guys who did Trick ‘r Treat (a great movie).

Also, Bill fuckin Shatner