Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hollismason posted:

Howard also wasn't racist and actually pretty progressive. Like for his period he had pretty progressive views.

Robert Howard was anti-imperialist (in a sense) and did hold some other cultures in high esteem, but he was still heavy into racial science and similar bunk. He might have been anti-WASP but he wasn't anti-racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

holy poo poo

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

King Vidiot posted:

I'll tell you what doesn't eat rear end, Color Out of Space. Holy poo poo was that good, like a modern retelling of that meteor story from Creepshow by way of a Brian Yuzna-esque Lovecraft adaptation. All it needed was Barbara Crampton, but then you could say that about any movie.

Its a very solid example of horror as the monstrousness* of getting exactly what you want.

*Don't know if that's quite the right word.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

STAC Goat posted:

Werewolf? Uncertain. Could splatter him to hell but werewolves have tricky iffy regeneration/reincarnation magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgkIRE1TIf8&t=176s

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lurdiak posted:

Why's that video 360p lol.

They had one HD machine and it was already in use making Sleepaway Camp.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This just makes me think of the KC Green's Jason comics:

http://www.gunshowcomic.com/494
http://www.gunshowcomic.com/533
http://www.gunshowcomic.com/572

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I love the opening to The Host. Just super highlighting the corporate malfeasance, no pussy footing around.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Thundercracker posted:

Shin Godzilla is so perfect, and using "Decisive Battle" from Evangelion is chef kiss good. I really love how level 1 Godzilla is just googly eyed doofus, but at when he's evolved and unleashed it's just awesome and horrifying.

I know people love the laser show, but I think the biggest "holy poo poo" moment is when the big floppy googly fish stands up.

"Oh right. This flat gently caress is Godzilla."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The writing in the last two Alien entries flat loving sucked. Full stop. They ignored the internal, logical consistency of the previous movies

In a horror series?!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Timeless Appeal posted:

I just want to win the lottery and pay someone to make a movie about mobsters going on Crystal Lake for vacation at their boss's cabin, not realizing it's their bosses plan for Jason to kill them while they're there.

Key Largo with Jason as the hurricane.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest has a lot of weird sexist undertones. All the patients are men and all the problems they have are because women have emasculated them, the only good women are prostitutes and what makes them good is how they are readily available to men sexually.

Actually, it's not so much undertones as it is overtones. The entire story is about an intense fear of women being put in positions of power and authority.

This ties into what Franchescanado was saying earlier about how most people in the institution are there on their own volition and don't see themselves as victims until McMurphy tells them they are. Their abuse in the institution is being compared to domestic abuse, with the inmates as the battered wives.

Although I wouldn't say that the story is about a fear of powerful women as such. Chief wasn't emasculated by a women, but by racism and the US government.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 10, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

She sold her soul to be "Camp Champ", so like she condemned herself to eternal damnation so she could be popular for a few weeks at a summer camp.

There's a weird secular Christianity to the Care Bear films (and shows of that ilk) where its basically sunday school but with God and Jesus crossed out (so to speak) and Brave Heart Lion penciled in.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, if you go with the "love one another" idea of Christianity then yeah, I guess "love and caring stops evil" is kinda the same thing. I'm not sure the Care Bears were really indoctrinating anyone though. I guess maybe I should rewatch them and see.

It's been a while since I've watched them myself, but I remember them being fairly preachy. I remember thinking they weren't too different from the weird cartoons that Focus and the Family and similar groups produced.

There share a structure where the protagonist kid will be tempted to Do A Bad Thing, be warned against this by the stick-in-the-mud friend, ultimately succumb (frequently from peer pressure), but ultimate be saved by faith in Jesus/caring a whole heck of a lot. Same with the DARE cartoons now that I think of it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, maybe, but is not doing bad things because you care about others really a bad thing to be preachy about? I mean, yeah I guess that's the basis of Care Bears. They're magic teddy bears who look after kids who need someone to care about them. It strikes me as sweet and basically good.

If they were telling the kids it was bad to be gay or to give them 10% of your stuff it would be a different story.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say the films are somehow malicious or anything like that. I'm just saying that it's weird. The suits at American Greetings decided to design a story that wouldn't be of offense to anyone and the committee came up with a "vulnerable child tempted is by Satan, is saved by teddie bear." That's wild!

There's also the angle where the kid being corrupted by a book a magic came out at the start of the D&D moral panic.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't remember the original Care Bears movie at all but Care Bears II was the poo poo. That's when they expanded beyond bears. Love the CBEU

11-year-old me thought it was bullshit Dark Heart lost his powers when he became nice and 11-year-old me was right.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 13, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hollismason posted:

Started Halloween a little bit early with watching Hammer Horror's The Mummy.

I saw that and The Revenge of Frankenstein last Halloween at a community owned theater last year. I hadn't seen much Hammer Horror at all before then, but they were both hell of good films.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

it may be a weird derail but i'm kind of glad that happened because now i actually get why people mock that idea so much; it seems like the robot devil is in the details, so to speak

If Robot Satan did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him. - Deus Ex (2000)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Oh dang, I remember seeing the trailer for that a while ago and thinking it looked rad. I'll have to make time for this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Bedamned with the full fury of one-and-a-half Satans.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FreudianSlippers posted:

Misery in general is just hilarious

Yeah, but that was Rob Reiner.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Iron Crowned posted:

Maybe you should do more drugs, I would watch a movie where a dude wrassles Jason, Dracula, and Satan in a two hour span.

How hard is it to track down the Blue Demon films?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lurdiak posted:

Sorry to get some Christmas in your Halloween, but...

Merry Deathmas, boils and ghouls! This December 23rd, starting at 6 PM grab a cup of hot jones and some gingerbread cookies and join us for a night of holiday chills and spills! We'll be watching a series of jolly holly horror films as well as assorted Christmas nonsense! What kind of nonsense? You'll just have to tune in to find out! We will be watching:

Gremlins

Dial Code Santa Claus

Krampus

Silent Night, Deadly Night 2

I hope you can find time to gather round the yuletide log with us at the official Scream Stream cytube channel (remember to install the extension), and don't forget to join us in the official horror thread Discord!

This should probably not get lost on the last post of the last page.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

What about the First Slasher? Why haven't we seen more slashers in a period setting? Like, it's a clan of Vikings and they're having a big three day long feast and they're all drunk on mead and there's lots of naked Viking women but oh wait there's a killer in their midst who is picking them off one by one?

You just invented Beowulf.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

In my hearts of hearts, my ultimate slasher is Behind the Mask.

God help me, but I saw CelticPredator's avatar and mistakenly read this as "In my hearts of hearts, my ultimate slasher is Son of the Mask."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Iron Crowned posted:

Fantasy as a genre has mostly fallen out of favor. It was practically dead when the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter movies were coming out, and nothing else really took up the mantle. If anything the Hobbit and Fantastic Beasts movies are the nail in the fantasy coffin for a while.

GoT's conclusion certainly did it no favors.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

gey muckle mowser posted:

there's really only one you need:

I'm pretty sure I read the sincere version of this out of a scifi discount bin several years back.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neo Rasa posted:

Just want to mention here that Son of the White Mare is insanely loving good and everyone here should watch it, and it does kind of have that vibe too even if it's not gory per se so thanks for reminding me of it. :D Gonna give it a re-watch soon now.

Son of the White Mare whips rear end. Absolutely gorgeous animation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Halloween Jack posted:

If you like Conan then you will certainly like Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd & The Grey Mouser stories.

I love Moorcock and Zelazny as well, but Fritz Leiber's work is really a cut above.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I understand people not liking Prometheus and Covenant, but at that point I wouldn't expect then to like the earlier Alien films either.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Franchescanado posted:

Stuff is from straight outta the ground.

geologists be like

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

married but discreet posted:

When you think about it, a multinational company mass producing a magic board to summon demons and evil spirits is pretty spookadoodlish.

Zack Parsons wrote that something like that years ago.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/ouija-mexico-ghosts/1/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
watching gvk and trying to decide which scenes were filmed with a giant ape and which were filmed with a man in a giant ape costume

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

She got people mad online a little while back when she compared There Will Be Blood to all of her bad ex-boyfriends

Wasn't that a comic book a few years ago..?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

anatomi posted:

Actually Halloween (2020, delayed to 2021) and Halloween (2021, delayed to 2022).

H(2O)2

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Drunkboxer posted:

The hosed up thing is that Pizzagate and Qanon are basically just the Satanic Panic bubbling to the surface again, it never went away.

In the early 00s the panic was about Pokemon and Harry Potter.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Who shot 3-CPO?

Gilbert Taylor, I think.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah do they ever address why everyone just immediately jumps to murder? It’s always the rich people going on poor person hunting safaris. Isn’t it supposed to be anarchy? Why is it still just The Most Dangerous Game style capitalism? Why are the rich teens with baseball bats so invincible? Where are huge drug fueled public orgies that all the freaks would actually be doing? Where are the huge contraband farmer’s markets that would definitely be there? Where are the killdozers knocking down bank vaults? Why does everyone want to murder so badly?

Maybe these things are all in the later movies I guess, idk.

The 2018 film addresses most of those questions.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

Risking overplaying the joke, but here's Castrating Car sequels. This was a bit tough to reign in. Not so sure about some of these... NWS?

I'm losing my loving mind between "...But I'm A Heterosexual...And I Find You Fascinating!" and "How I Lost My Dick And Regained My V-Card..."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t want to say too much bc it could go bad but let’s say it goes well I might be working with someone from PG on my next short.

🤞

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dorium posted:

A semi-recentish episode of an online movie chat about show talked about PG and they really nailed down that the girl character is the lynchpin to it all. Either you learn to love her or she just runs rough shod over the easily enjoyable parts of the movie. It can be a hard movie to love and that’s alright.

Agreed. She's terrible in the very specific fashion of a certain sibling dynamic, and I don't know what I would have thought of her if I hadn't been familiar with that.

As it is, I thought she carried the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

Also I’m making a dope rear end short film the end of this month and it’s gonna be rad, and my lead actor is cool as hell and starred in my favorite movie this year and I’m doing this while also not being a bigot like you.

Sam's Treat was mad solid so I'm thrilled to hear your next thing is coming along well.