Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was surprised not to be too into 3 From Hell.

Showing it in a double billing with Devil's Rejects seems like a mistake, since it makes much of the film feel redundant.

The best beats of 3fH are where it diverges into new territory, but it's all still so tethered loosely to remapped themes and scenarios from TDR that they're nearly completely downed out.

Potentially great character material like Baby's moment with Sebastian, Winslow discovering he's like an outsider, and Otis' newfound insecurity ("But I'm Satan!") was hopelessly overshadowed by the rest of the last act's remix of TDR's familial vengeance and uniformed goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I thought that was meant to be a gag that fell flat. (Capitalism is a good idea to a literal child who has all the power.)

Ads were lame though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was pretty cold on these event screenings of stuff ...but getting hype for 3 From Hell and The Shining taught me that many acquaintances were actually horror friends waiting for a chance to come out.

:gbsmith:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

gey muckle mowser posted:

I like the ace detective work in Pieces, where the cops just ask everyone "can you tell us anything?" and then immediately dropping it when they say no

"Could the killer have used this chainsaw?" He asks, picking up the blood-covered chainsaw with his bare hands.

"Yes."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You jerks had me scared that something had happened to Brad Dourif.

I saw the 4k restoration of The Shining last night, and couldn't believe how much of that film I'd forgotten. My friend asked if they'd added footage, so it wasn't just me.

Sadly they weren't giving away the new cool poster, and the Doctor Sleep stuff looked like a made-for-webisodes adaptation after seeing the real deal. They recreated the blood elevators with the fakest blood, and the whole vibe seemed to be "Hey remember the Shining? Scary right?"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

False. He’s a really mean floating nerd guy that looks kinda like Gilbert from Revenge of the Nerds.

Wasn't Tony eventually revealed to be teenage Danny or some dumb poo poo?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I feel like Kubrick's version is a peek into a better universe where King has a competent editor.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

King's great and I say this with love, but Kubrick is the only one to ever tell him no and look at what the world got.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Find me a picture of a werewolf that's cooler than Count Orlok

It's arguable, but this is the werewolf from Brotherhood of the Wolf.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Megasabin posted:

If I remember correctly that is a normal lion or tiger in armor.

It was! Events around the real-life Beast of Gévaudan gave rise to some werewolf lore, like the idea of silver bullets. It seems like this interpretation should at least be an affiliate in the Kool Werewolf Krew.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

As good as The Keep is, its Tangerine Dream OST is better. It's unfortunately also what's keeping it off bluray.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

I read it before it was changed to part of a series. It was very good.

Same, I didn't know it had become a series and now I'm very excited to look into this.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I loved the series, but I still wish the Phantasms hadn't gotten so Phantasmy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I really enjoyed the Exorcist TV show. I thought they did a great job of incorporating elements of the first and third movies, while steering sagely clear of eveything else.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I ended up missing much of S2, did the show conclude or did the cancellation leave the story hanging?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You can safely skip 2. Three is really loving good and I don't even care this kicks off another Brad Dourif appreciation session. (He would deserve it.)

2 goes into some Poltergeist-era psychical research nonsense and James Earl Jones is great as always, but it shouldn't be sandwiched between two fantastic Exorcist films.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I appreciate all of these.

Also Blasting the Poons is beautiful.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Raimi & Campbell?

I was beaten to this, so joke answer of Rob and Sheri Moon Zombie.

Serious answer: Roger Corman and Vincent Price. Corman let Vincent go full Price, and his performance was inevitably a highlight of whatever he appeared in.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

This reminds me of the Cabin Fever DVD, which featured "Girlfriend-Vision" that would automatically put black maquettes of hands over the picture whenever something scary happened.

I remember Cabin Fever having a four-minute cut where everybody just has a good time and it ends.

E: Oops, i misremembered the run time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

PYF horror circle

Race with the Devil

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is the show worth checking out?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Pumpkinhead is a demon IIRC.

Mothman Prophecies was fun but all I remember was that the Mothman prank calls Richard Gere from another dimension.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've wanted to enjoy the Subspecies series so many many times, but it's just not good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm almost certain that the tie-in will be the "some of grandpa's things" the kids found and at least one of the movies will take place chronologically earlier.

Glad the next movie is Dunwich Horror, but we already had a film of that in the 70s! Lavinia was originally a character from DH, so I wouldn't be surprised if she makes an appearance in that film as a past life or something. (Which also ties the color to Yog-Sothoth in a cool, trilogy appropriate way. )

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Completely agreed. Most Lovecraft adaptations feature a weirdo loner protagonists, but Color was family-driven which makes it categorically similar to Hereditary. There were often families present, but as background at best or props at worst.

A lot of that results from strict adherence the source material, which nearly universally shies away from interpersonal relationships. Which is a shame, since Color shows what happens when you incorporate them.

Dunwich Horror had a lot of family themes, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ties that family to this one.

E:

Relevant Tangent posted:

They've said they want to use the same character, the hydrologist, in all three films so probably no shenanigans.

Huh. They laid a lot of groundwork for prequels, but maybe that was just setting up flashbacks.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 23, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

gey muckle mowser posted:

that doesn't really seem like a spoiler to me but everyone else is doing it, so :shrug:

It is definitely a spoiler, as it gives away how that character fares throughout the film.

I talked about elements of Color, but forgot to mention that I loved it. It took a while to build momentum, but was completely worth it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Green Inferno was pretty garbage.

I remember liking The Pyramid, but it got very mixed reactions. And I guess As Above So Below is technically exploration?

Season One of The Terror is as good as expedition horror gets IMO.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Well it kind of did work if you consider that 1) she absorbed the color without getting freaky, 2) the forehead cutting matched the shrine on the plateau, and 3) she got swept off by the color tornado but possibly survived.

I'm still fairly certain she'll return as Lavinia Whatley in Dunwich Horror. Her Wicca stuff in the beginning having been replaced by whatever hardcore hyper-witchcraft she picks up in space. But it also perfectly answers her "get me out of here" prayers from the opening scene.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

He'd have thought Hitler was ok until they stopped getting along with England where all the real white people live.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They mentioned it at the advance screening Q&A I think - I vaguely remember thinking "Not that Varg I hope" at the name, then forgot it.

Does anyone else have a better recollection?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

david_a posted:

Was that supposed to be Nyarlathotep in the vision at the end? It was a Crawling Chaos anyway.

I think there were a few things going on: The tornado-tube was meant to be a tunnel to that other realm, which (I guess) was the Plateau of Leng (since that's the only alien plateau featured in Lovecraft.)

Interestingly, the first GIS result for Plateau of Leng brings up this:

Which could easily have been inspiration for some of those visuals.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think the Willows book was a reference to the particular scene it appears in - an invisible thing fucks with him and his vehicle as he is trying to enjoy nature.

Leng has varying roles and locations in the original stories, so who knows. I expect any "power behind the color" will be the same as the outside power from Dunwich Horror, but really we won't know anything until part 3 happens.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I saw the preview for Swallow, which is my pick for biggest "no, it's a horror" derail of 2020.

It's a drama about a bored housewife with pica.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wasn't that Tooth Fairy?

That seems really familiar - I think they'd only come in the dark and one character has an absurd amount of lamps and everyone thinks he's nuts.

E: or Darkness Falls?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah she's basically "Something's wrong with my baby!" for the first two acts and then the punchline is "yep."

I feel like it benefited greatly from being a mainstream take on a genre theme, but I haven't done the research to see how popular devil-babies were prior.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's an area where I'm not familiar, but I have the impression Polanski was a huge name outside of horror in the late 60s. Rosemary's Baby was a big deal because it was a major studio putting big money and names into what typically wouldnt have been a "serious" film.

In that way, you got this crossover appeal - like the Exorcist or Jaws later, you've got a professional execution of (what was traditionally) a drive-in concept.

I didn't realize that William Castle produced Rosemary's Baby, though! I just discovered that now, and that's a cool thing to find out.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thrillers yeah, I should have specified supernatural horror. I don't think there were any monsters or witches pre-Rosemary, which probably increased the shock of the "twist" ending.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Antebellum looks like a time-traveling Confederate South that kidnaps people, based on the preview.

It feels like an jaded corporate reaction to Jordan Peele. Some boardroom asked themselves "What would be scary if we were black?" and landed on the Bermuda Southangle.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh.

Jeez ok that sounds even dumber, I thought the disappearing plane was some time and space weirdness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

david_a posted:

Has there been official confirmation that Tony Todd isn’t playing Candyman again? From what I can tell he was, he wasn’t, but now he is. The Wikipedia page currently lists him in the role.

I think the confusion is because a different actor is playing young Candyman in a flashback or something.