Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fart City posted:

TOM ATKINS

Maniac Cop 2 >> Maniac Cop

Finding out recently just how much better Maniac Cop 2 was than the (cool and good) first was such a joy.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Someone make that zoom into his mouth and become an infinite loop.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

You guys are not doing a good job on this first page.

More content like this plz

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Pomp posted:

Watch The Thingy on Amazon, thank you

Care to make a pitch for it?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Seriously, his claim to fame now is doing a standup book tour.

In all fairness, his books are great.

Also, I keep meaning to catch his one man Christmas show one of these years. Probably not too many of them left...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Creepshow tv show episode descriptions sound pretty fantastic. Very optimistic for this now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've got Deadly Friend 8 days after my birthday :/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have that Times Square theater release date list? That one had much better results for me...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Speaking of Re-Animator and Creepshow, Jeffrey Combs is in the new TV version. And man oh man do these episode breakdowns sound amazing:

quote:

All Hallows Eve

Written by: Bruce Jones

Directed by: John Harrison

Even then they’re a little too old, this group of friends still want to trick-or-treat but getting candy isn’t all they are looking for.

Bad Wolf Down

Written by: Rob Schrab

Directed by: Rob Schrab

A group of American soldiers, trapped behind enemy lines during World War II, finds an unconventional way to even the odds.

By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain

Story by: Joe Hill, adapted by Jason Ciaramella

Directed by: Tom Savini

Her dad died looking for the monster living at the bottom of Lake Champlain, and now, will she?

The Companion

Story by: Joe R. Lansdale, Kasey Lansdale & Keith Lansdale, adapted by Matt Venne

Directed by: Dave Bruckner (The Ritual)

A young boy, bullied by his older brother, sneaks into an abandoned farm that is protected by a supernatural force.

The Finger

Written by: David J. Schow (The Crow)

Directed by: Greg Nicotero

An unhappy man discovers a severed, inhuman appendage on the street and brings it home, where it grows into a loyal companion with some deadly quirks.

Gray Matter

Story by: Stephen King, adapted by Byron Willinger and Philip de Blasi

Directed by: Greg Nicotero

Doc and Chief, two old-timers in a small, dying town, brave a storm to check on Richie, an alcoholic single father, after encountering his terrified son at the local convenience store. The story, first published in 1973, is part of King’s best-selling 1978 collection, Night Shift.

The House of the Head

Written by: Josh Malerman (Bird Box)

Evie’s discovers her new dollhouse might be haunted.

Lydia Layne’s Better Half

Story by: John Harrison & Greg Nicotero, adapted by John Harrison

Directed by: Roxanne Benjamin (Body at Brighton Rock)

A powerful woman denies a promotion to her protégée and lover but fails to anticipate the fallout.

The Man in the Suitcase

Written by: Christopher Buehlman

Directed by: Dave Bruckner (The Ritual)

A college student brings the wrong bag home from the airport only to find a pretzeled man trapped inside, afflicted by a strange condition that turns his pain into gold.

Night of the Paw

Written by: John Esposito

A lonely mortician finds company in the ultimate ‘be careful what you wish for’ story.

Skincrawlers

Written by: Paul Dini & Stephen Langford

Directed by: Roxanne Benjamin (Body at Brighton Rock)

A man considers a miraculous new treatment for weight loss that turns out to have unexpected complications.

Times is Tough in Musky Holler

Written by: John Skipp and Dori Miller, based on their short story

Leaders who once controlled a town through fear and intimidation get a taste of their own medicine.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have any suggestions for some old-school spooky horror with a touch of camp? The more they resemble an episode of Scooby-Doo the better. I caught a couple William Castle flicks, House on Haunted Hill, and City of the Dead the other day and I'm in the mood for some spooky swamps, creepy castles, and hilarious hijinks. Ideally in contemporary times.

I asked in the general thread and got a few suggestions, but figured y'all would know more deep cuts.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 8, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Vincent Price is definitely your best bet but a lot of those are period pieces. But The Haunted Palace, Tomb of Ligeia, and Masque of the Red Death come to mind right away. And yea Abominable Dr. Phibes and Phibes Rises Again also fit the bill.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Theatre of Blood. Vincent Price at some of his best scenery chewing and hamming it up.

Perfect, these look like exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!

I'm also not opposed to period pieces, I just tend to vibe a bit more with a modern setting. But I adored Night Creatures with Cushing in this same vein so I'm open to period suggestions—though I've seen a good chunk of the Dracula/Wolf Man/Frankenstein stuff and enjoyed it, but when those try to incorporate humor it hasn't ever hit for me. But maybe I'm just watching the wrong ones.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

You know what? It's not really what you're asking for at all, but if you haven't seen A Bucket of Blood, you should. It's a really fun flick with a strong Beatnik setting.

Finally caught this a couple of months ago and loved it.

Basebf555 posted:

I was gonna recommend The Asphyx, but it looks like it's not on Prime anymore, that's a shame.

I'm assuming if you've seen Night Creatures, you've also seen Horror Express.

Looks like YouTube's got Asphyx, I'll pop one on the list. Caught Horror Express last year when I was on a big Cushing kick, but that's right up my alley.

After a little digging I also found Horror Island, Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow, Hard Rock Nightmare, and Graveyard Disturbance on Youtube, which all seem like they're in line with my ask. Can anyone vouch for any of those?

And Abominable Dr Phibes has been on the list for a while, I'll re-prioritize it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Those things are written by bots in the same way that your text messages are written by predictive text.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only way I could see that remotely working is if the time gap is essential to the story and the characters experience the same time gap as the audience. Not sure if it would add anything, but it could be a neat gimmick if utilized well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Though not as weird as the other opinion I’ve sometimes encountered that the original Nightmare on Elm Street is a good idea poorly executed

I'm probably in that camp, to a degree. Don't get me wrong—it's a good movie and terrifically fun to watch, but I can't help but be left feeling like it's got a lot of missed opportunities. For a movie where dreams are at the forefront, it's not really all that inventive nor surreal nor does it lean much on dream logic. There are a few moments for sure, but for too much of its runtime Freddy was just a standard slasher.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Speaking of idea guys, does anyone know why Stan Winston's directing career was so short? Was A Gnome Named Gnorm put him in directing jail or did he just want to return to special effects? I though Pumpkinhead was extremely well directed for a first-timer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like Crawl is getting solid reviews. Sounds like a lean, streamlined thriller.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Creepshow.

Pomp posted:

Carpenter slowly declined into mediocre before checking out to focus on music, fried chicken and video games. Argento immediately went to borderline unwatchable then just kept going forever.

I wish these kind of guys would put together a Masterclass series or something. Even if they're not able to make great movies anymore, I'm sure they're full of some pretty incredible wisdom about how they pulled off what they did.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Update: Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow was exactly the feature-length Scooby-Doo episode I was looking for. It's weirdly episodic and has a baffling lack of drag racing, but the kids are all charming, the man girl is a terrific character, the spooky castle hijinks are a ton of fun, and the kids throw a Halloween party then gather to yank a rubber mask off of a villain who has been trying to scare them away. Five out of Five Scooby Snacks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I get him through my digital antenna on MeTV for free. Might be worth looking into if you'd get it, because Svengoolie is worth a $20 antenna.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Riverdale isn't horror per se, but Season 1gets gothic as gently caress and there's certainly significant horror/thriller DNA in it. It's semi-satirical melodrama dressed in genre trappings.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Heresy! Jughead would never step out on burgers!

Don't worry.

https://i.imgur.com/Jhs20bu.gifv

e: But also.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 14, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Much like the Fermi Paradox, I often wonder if there are other little quiet corners of the internet where small groups of horror nerds discuss things like we do here and we just aren't aware of each other's existence.

I really don't think so. I'm on a couple of private horror trackers, and even there discussion is pretty surface-level. At least the taste is decent, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Right, but where do we hire the flirty wine drunk goths to populate them?

I mean, LA. I think half of the girls that I know there are wine drunks who frequent barcades and are part of a witch coven.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 18, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

T Bowl posted:

I guess people think just because they like movies and can nerd out to them that people will enjoy them babbling? You need to make it funny/witty and not just recite opinions and trivia about the movies.

I mean, I've listened to some pretty bad podcasts just because the subject matter is up my alley. But yeah, I'd love a good horror movie podcast in my rotation.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Creepshow gets a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inzsKlVR_N8

Looks a bit cheaper than I expected, but thankfully maintains the general stylistic approach of the films and has some terrific looking practical effects on display. I'm very very in.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Colossal is so, so good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Speaking of standing at attention, I was told this alien fellow was supposed to be a giant penis—but I've never seen a penis with legs and arms before. Nice try, film analysts, better luck next time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Don't get too excited yet, Quibi is that new nontraditional short-form network that's meant to capture Gen Z, so episodes are going to be like 3 minutes long.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Zwabu posted:

Picking a random old trashy looking horror title from Amazon Prime I watched something called Night Tide. Early 60s vintage, I think, black and white, featuring a very young Dennis Hopper as a young sailor who gets involved with a mysterious beautiful woman who might or might not be a murderous mermaid!

It was strange because it was basically a straight up drama with some horror elements. Complete with a Scooby Doo resolution! Anyway I had fun. *shrugs*

Thank you. This is very useful for my Movies That Are Basically Scooby-Doo Letterboxd list.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Goddamn was Quatermass II ahead of its time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

Script's done for Gremlins 3. Still not sure what to make of it.

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/gremlins-3-script-finished-2017-8

No Dante, no deal.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Man, I was really confused on this page until it just clicked. I kept reading NOES2 as NOS4A2 and was wondering where this critical reevaluation was coming from.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Monster that Challenged the World looks so terrible in the trailers and posters, but it ended up being one of my favorite monster movies of the era.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
gently caress. I can't get the idea out of my head of making a b-movie style short film about lighthouse keepers battling a giant stop-motion sea snail. This will haunt me for years unless I do it.

I don't have time to built a snail puppet, dammit.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 5, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

sponges posted:

Plan 9 From Outer Space is a good movie.

Correct opinion. I was shocked at how legit great it was compared to many of its contemporaries when I finally watched it last year. The worst movie of all time label is a total joke—try watching any beach party monster movie and get back to me with that poo poo. Hell, it's not even the worst alien invasion movie from '59—Teenagers from Outer Space is a snooze compared to Plan 9. I could see "best worst movie" being an appropriate label though because it's super watchable.

Plan 9 is super weird, tons of fun, and has a really specific vision and POV behind it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 6, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Horror at Party Beach can't be the worst movie ever, because it has the song "The Zombie Stomp" performed by The Del-Aires. :colbert:

True. It's the one time I perked up during the whole runtime.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I'd seen a lot of Cushing highlights previously, but I really started diving into the deeper cuts a few months ago and I've yet to see one I didn't love.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Suggestions for something with good ol' fashioned ghouls? I'm thinking the sort of ghastly creeps you'd find in EC Comics, bonus for graveyards, extra bonus for lots of color and style. Ideally from the 50s-70s, but none of the actual EC Comics adaptations as I've seen those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Watched it too recently! But that'd be perfect. Went with The Plague of the Zombies instead, been putting that off for ages.

Also, just saw that Ed Wood's infamous nudie cutie Orgy of the Dead is up on byNWR for streaming.