Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

80s Horror Based on Then-Current Trends, Ranked:

Death Spa > The Stuff > Chopping Mall > TerrorVision > The Video Dead > Evilspeak > Trick R Treat > Killer Workout > Video Violence >>>>>> Microwave Massacre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Is Videodrome too highbrow for this list or what?

That's one way to say it. Another, more accurate way of saying it is that I forgot about it. That says more about me than it does about Videodrome.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Pomp posted:

Shin Godzilla owns so hard

Shin Godzilla is a masterpiece. It's remarkable how it manages to feel like a complete 180-degree turn from the rest of the series while following the same basic beats as many of the previous entries. I love that within two years there were two Godzilla movies that took essentially opposite positions. The 2014 American Godzilla treats him with near-religious reverence, while in Shin he's a ecological problem. I love both of those movies.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I still haven't seen Heavenly Creatures. I suspect his work on The Frighteners played a role in getting him LotR as well. That was a good movie, though very different from what I suspected.

I think Heavenly Creatures might be my favorite Peter Jackson movie. It's no wonder that Melanie Lynskey was catapulted into similarly meaty, challenging roles such as, uh (checks notes) Charlie Sheen's stalker on "Two and a Half Men." Hm.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

So we have, what, less than 27,000 hours left at this point?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Has there ever been anything in a comic book or novelization or anything like that to explain why Gizmo seems to be the only "good" mogwai? Even before they become full-on gremlins, the rest of his spawn are always portrayed as malicious. Does it skip a generation or something?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Look what my friend gave me for Christmas:

Is this the most iconic horror movie t-shirt by default? I'm having a hard time thinking of another one off the top of my head that would be instantly recognizable like that. Ed's "I got wood" from "Shaun of the Dead," maybe?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Windows 98 posted:

Monster from Bird Box that was cut from the film

Be vewy vewy quiet. I'm hunting Sandwa Buwwocks, hehehehehe.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Also can anyone tell what the difference between these two is? Did I just find some weird Amazon bug or are they just different printings of the same thing that weirdly got priced differently? Obviously I won't buy either if I decide to buy the big one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H45YSO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A18YXWJH0T98I6&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Mo...7PNK7YFCJQYBZ69

The cheaper one is a UK release, but it should be region-free. That's the one I have and it works fine in my Region 1 player. That more-expensive set is actually only 6 movies, compared to 8 in the UK set - it's missing Creature From the Black Lagoon and the 1943 Phantom of the Opera. The '43 Phantom was an iffy addition to the set, in my opinion, but Creature is absolutely essential. If you're not sold on the complete 30-film set, go with that UK box.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I totally agree that Creature From the Black Lagoon is essential. It's easily one of the two or three best looking films in there, although of course it has the advantage of having been made a decade+ later than most of the others.

Edit: ninja edit, drat you

Sorry, I mixed up which set I was recommending and had to clarify.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

It’s pretty impressive how well the suit in Creature holds up in HD.

There's a reason the Creature has become iconic - that suit looks fantastic in the water and out of the water. There really aren't any monster designs from that same period that were as well-realized. You look at other movies from that time that ended up being regarded about the same, like "Thing From Another World," and it's not the monster's look that makes them work.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

What's everyone least favorite Universal monster movies of the ones in the 30 film set?

I'm also firmly in the "The Mummy isn't interesting at all" camp, but like I mentioned earlier the 1943 Phantom of the Opera doesn't really deserve to be included with the rest of the Universal Monster movies. It's an upgrade from the 1925 version only in that it has sound and color. Nothing beats Chaney's makeup from the original and it feels like all of the effort went into making the opera portions look lavish. It's watchable, but not much of a horror movie.

But as far as my least-favorite of that entire set, it has to be "She-Wolf of London," for reasons that I can't get into due to spoilers. The rest of those movies are either absolutely brilliant or at least stupid-fun.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Wait which movie is this?

"The Mummy's Curse" takes place 25 years after "The Mummy's Tomb," which is supposed to be 30 years after "The Mummy's Hand." It's worse than the Friday the 13th timeline!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Are these by movie, or by monster? Because if by movie:

Frankenstein
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Dracula
Wolf Man

But if by monster:

Creature From the Black Lagoon
Wolf Man
Frankenstein
Dracula

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Chaney Jr. is a great Larry Talbot and that's about it as far as he goes. Broadening the scope:

1. The Invisible Man
2. Bride of Frankenstein
3. Frankenstein
4. Creature From the Black Lagoon
5. Dracula
6. Son of Frankenstein
7. Dracula's Daughter
8. Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein
9. Werewolf of London
10. Ghost of Frankenstein
11. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man
12. The Wolf Man
13. The Mummy's Curse
14. House of Frankenstein
15. The Creature Walks Among Us
16. The Invisible Woman
17. House of Dracula
18. The Mummy's Tomb
19. The Mummy's Hand
20. The Mummy's Curse
21. Phantom of the Opera (1943)
22. Son of Dracula
23. The Invisible Man Returns
24. Revenge of the Creature
25. Invisible Agent
26. The Mummy's Ghost
27. The Invisible Man's Revenge
28. Abbot & Costello Meet the Mummy
29. She-Wolf of London

I haven't seen A&C Meet the Invisible Man yet.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Dude what. How can you rank Lugosi's Dracula lower than the wolfman, but rank his movie higher. He's the best part of the film!!!

My rankings do not reflect how thin the margins are between each entry, to be fair. I think Chaney's Wolf Man is a better monster than Universal's Dracula because I like the cursed/conflicted aspect of his character. Lugosi is great and there's a touch of that in his performance, but with only two "official" appearances as Dracula he doesn't as many opportunities to show as many facets of the character.

Of course, Christopher Lee's Dracula blows them both out of the water by having literally ONE facet to his character, but that's a whole different thing.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

"Remember, Renfield...*HISSS*...yooouuuu...are my number one guuuuuyyy..."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

drat, that triple-feature would have been a trip. "Guardian of Hell" is Bruno Mattei's "The Other Hell," "The Craving" is Paul Naschy's "Night of the Werewolf" and "Burial Ground" is, well, "Burial Ground."

EDIT: Also, LOL at "Hard Ticket to Hawaii" in a theater. I didn't think those movies existed without Rhonda Shear interrupting them.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I really wanted to like Nightbreed more than I did, after knowing it only by reputation for a long time. I was way more into Cronenberg's thing than I was with the "city of monsters" concept. I wanted the whole movie to be about the interplay between the hero and his psychiatrist and none of the sympathetic monster stuff.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

The shoestring budget crap-tier Italian film Dawn of the Mummy is orders of magnitude better than the 2017 movie on every level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzMER37eV8g

Dawn of the Mummy is great because it's your prototypical Italian zombie gut-muncher movie with mummy window dressing. That and Stan Winston's Mummy for Monster Squad are the only two times I can think of where there was basically no distinction between "mummy" and "zombie."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

For some reason I’ve always felt that the ideal late-career move for John Waters was for him to host The Price is Right.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Clearly it should be Bruno Mattei.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I watched The Lift on Shudder last night, which is the story of how an elevator repairman's dedication to his job ends up destroying his marriage. There's a subplot about an elevator with a brain made of oozing microchips that wants to kill Dutch people.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Popcorn also has a really great Scooby-Doo villain and all of the fake movies are really well-observed.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Acht posted:

Hey, if you want to see more of us Dutch people get slaughtered, watch Amsterdamned too.
Also by Dick Maas.

I harbor no ill will toward the Dutch, but this is already on my watch list because I've heard good things.

On the subject of Ninja III: The Domination, one of my favorite things about that movie is that the Japanese exorcist is played by James Hong, Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China, because it was the 80s and close enough, right? James Hong was born in Minneapolis, by the way.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Does that beer can say "Dekker" instead of "Miller?" Fantastic.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

It made me think of a manga I flipped through once where a woman has a crush on an actor who's really into anime and she has surgery done to make herself more animelike to appeal to him and at the end after having several surgeries, she's like an anime version of a grey alien.

There was an issue of Ghost Rider a bunch of years ago where he fought a demon in Japan whose specialty was "flesh sculpting." It chose to manifest itself as an exaggerated anime schoolgirl and it was really disgusting-looking.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The year I was born also gave us Suspiria, Eraserhead, The Car, Rabid, The Hills Have Eyes and Death Bed: The Bed That Eats. My favorite from that year is Hausu, though.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

amenbrotep posted:

Renfield is one of the best characters in Dracula imo. Dwight Frye is fantastic in the ‘31 Universal film.

Dwight Frye is the MVP of Dracula '31. That shot of him at the bottom of the ship's hold is just creepy as gently caress.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Hellraiser Judgement and them being straight up demons from hell meshes fine with the rest of the movies if you look at the dynamic of Judgement's opening scene. The cenobites WERE explores of the edge of experience angels to some/demons to others etc., but the intro is like Pinhead's first day on new job, he has a personal administrative cenobite guy that fills him in on how it works and everything.

Now all I want the next Hellraiser to be is a Cenobite performance review:

"You've blown past your Flaying numbers for the month, and that's great. But where we'd like to see some improvements is in your Genital Inversions, because those are way down compared to last quarter. You're doing a good job overall, but we want to see you rely less on the hooks and chains, okay? If you can bring those numbers to where we'd like them to be, I think we can start thinking about moving you up to Eyeball Bursting full-time."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The streaming issues with the first marathon bummed me out substantially because my wife and I just happened to be taking our kid to see Incredibles 2 at the last functioning drive-in within 50 miles of us. I was very excited to watch at least some of Joe Bob on my phone while sitting at a real drive-in, but I couldn't see diddly until I think Boggy Creek the next day. And the drive-in's Facebook page now just says "Our status for 2019 is unclear, stay tuned." Life's a fern bar, indeed.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jedit posted:

Critters trailer not available in my country. :smith:

Best original IP horror remake - go!

I think I'm going to go with House on Haunted Hill. It's not the world's finest movie, but it's got some nice atmosphere.

The Fly.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Godzilla 2000 is phenomenal for its closing moments, when the lead tries to say something profound and empathetic like, "It seems there's a little of Godzilla in us all." Cut to: Godzilla just hosing down all of downtown Tokyo with his nuclear breath for absolutely no reason.

Angry Bastard Godzilla is my favorite Godzilla.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Mothra is the one I enjoyed the most because it's tonally, visually and structurally bizarre in the most charming way. The next sequel, Ghidorah, loses some of that in favor of spending the majority of the film trying to work out how these three monsters are going to fight Ghidorah, instead of inventing more ideas like miniature twins that travel in a magic bubble that sing to giant destructive moths.

Ghidorah is the better shot film, and it's more grounded, but also tame.

None have been as intense as the original, of course. But that's like asking a Jaws sequel to match the original's greatness.

Now I wish they had taken the Godzilla approach to the Jaws series, where four movies into it you get stuff like the shark talking and imitating pro-wrestling moves. "Jaws vs. PVCdorah," where Jaws fights the embodiment of the Pacific garbage patch.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Big Bob Pataki posted:

Final Wars is the best because they decided to have one American character for the big send off to decades of Godzilla movies and they chose Don Frye, an MMA fighter with a thick mustache who talks in one of the thickest Southern accents I've ever heard. Also he has a sword and fights aliens.

Um excuse me Don Frye is NOT the only American character in Final Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz0ED9BB-VA

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Popelmon posted:

I just watched Jaxon X for the first time and I think I'm in love. That movie couldn't be more late 90's/early oughts if it tried to.

Ditto - I love it when the "future" is incredibly dated. The entire movie looks like it should have been on TV Saturday afternoons after "Xena" and before "Relic Hunter."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Stink Billyums posted:

Considering which studio they filmed it at, Jason X may literally have had staff overlap with Relic Hunter.

That's fantastic, of course it did. I love that "cheap Canadian sci-fi" is an aesthetic.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Last night I watched It Stains The Sands Red because it had been a while since I've seen a recent zombie movie and the concept sounded interesting. The marketing makes it sound like it's going to be a stripped-down survival story, but that aspect is really just a jumping-off point. Anyway, as the credits are winding down the filmmakers include their special thanks. Two of the three are thanks to my wife, my kids, etc. But one of them says thanks to "Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, Charles Manson and Anton LaVey" and it's like settle down, Beavis.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What is straight up the worst horror film you have ever seen

not even funny-bad or ironic bad, just straight up "gently caress this movie" bad

For me, its S.I.C.K. Serial Insane Clown Killer

To this day I still get angry at that film, half because the grammar of the title makes no sense. He is an Insane Serial Killer Clown, not a man who consistently kills insane clowns

Bigfoot Vs. Zombies - They never even bother to zip up the back of the Sasquatch costume in most scenes.

Sharkenstein - Part of the magic of filmmaking is being able to hide your tricks from the audience. So why orient your camera in such a way to let everyone know these World War II soldiers are wearing black Sketchers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Would anyone care to help me pick what I watch next out of my Prime queue tonight? Looking for something fun. Keep in mind that I have exactly three beers in my fridge at the moment. Thanks, Horror Thread.

Alpha Wolf
Bloodrayne
Night of the Living Dead: Re-Animated
Blackenstein
Satan's Little Helper
Maniac Cop III
The Horrors of Malformed Men
Frogs
Breeders II: Slay Bells
American Werewolf in Paris
Lord of Illusions
The Vampire Doll