Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just watched Green Inferno, baffled by the choice to have both diagetic and soundtrack drums in one scene and NOT have them be in sync. Why?

Also the whole time I was just thinking Eli Roth should just get a print of Cannibal Holocaust and gently caress it, in private, rather than subject me to his clumsy remake

Fart City posted:

I mean have you seen the latter Hellraiser sequels?
I will go to my grave declaring Hellraiser 7 to be not just the best Hellraiser, but a good movie

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which, nastiest food in a horror movie (not counting cannibalism or the pizza in Driller Killer)?
The soul pizza in NoES 4 is top tier imo

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I just watched Venom (2018) and while it is incredibly dumb, I have to appreciate it for bringing back my all-time favorite movie thing, a rap song over the end credits clumsily explaining the plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVbaYFVUbLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRtM1jsoNl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CdcCD5V-d8

I'm posting in this thread because if a space monster bites people's heads off, it's a horror movie :colbert:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 24, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Are... are we in the supernatural reboot of scream
I will go to my grave declaring Unfriended a good-rear end movie.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I know we've been talking about Hellraiser and I stan the series pretty hard, but holy poo poo does Judgement take a huge steaming dump on the canon by just outright saying "yep, they're demons from Hell, fighting angels, it's exactly as boring and stupid as it sounds, nothing to see here about realms of experience beyond humanity that can only be reached by the extremes of physical sensation. Demons!" :devil:

deety posted:

my beloved Ghost Ship.
Ghost ship's first and last ten minutes are both all-timers, but the middle 70 could be cut and lose nothing.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 25, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Not really in the mood for anything in particular, and my Amazon Prime is expiring in a week so I wanna watch a bunch of stuff. What should I do next:

Bloodsucking Bastards
Strangers II
Dan Curtis' Dracula
Jigsaw
mother!
GOZU
It Comes at Night
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Handmaiden
Irreversable

I have no strong feelings towards any of these, so you guys pick.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Stink Billyums posted:

Gozu is very, very Miike. That can be good or bad depending on what you think of his style.

And Handmaiden is good.

I love miike, so it looks like asian double feature tonight. I'll report back with my findings.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

kinda inappropriate considering we are talking about irreversible but to change direction i'm going thru a bad breakup and what are the best romantic horror movies i can cry to

I thought Burying the Ex was an adorable RomZomCom sendoff for Anton Yelchin, :rip: Bonus: It's Joe Dante! This too. What a sweet movie. :3:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 25, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Handmaiden is absolutely the best movie on that list by orders of magnitude. GOZU owns too. Jigsaw sucks rear end. Irreversible is a great movie but not necessarily one I'd recommend, everyone else already posted why.

Well I tried to soldier through GOZU but couldn't make it more than an hour. I don't go for the "disjointed scenes and aggressively anti-plot" device that gets used a lot in horror. Experimental is not my bag.

Lemme fire up Handmaiden, be back in 2:27

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Trip Report: Handmaiden owns. I was expecting a little more spooks, but Gothic Thriller works too.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I got Christopher Walken, so even odds that he and I are the killers.

I also get Obi-Wan Kenobi (MacGregor Version) and Adam Green, so maybe we can get our hands on the script ahead of time.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 26, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is there actual death in faces of death?

I never watched it but I always assumed it was just a bunch of mondo b-roll

One of the later ones opens with R. Budd Dwyer's press conference, but it's honestly all pretty tame compared to ten minutes on /r/watchpeopledie nowadays. Goddamn there's a lot of OSHA violations in India and China.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm fairly certain I'm going to make it, but it doesn't look good for my horror buddy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnzk5qAaNLk

What about Jessica Rothe, certainly shes gotta be up there just on the back of Happy Death Day

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Non acting stunt casting gets me Selena, Chance the Rapper, and Kareem Abdul Jabbar so I have a pretty kick rear end movie here if someone wrote a script.
You are confusing him with Roger Murdock. He's just a co-pilot.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gejimayu posted:

What cut would you guys recommend for someone who has never seen Nightbreed before? Its been on my radar forever but id heard bad things for so long I haven't gotten around to it yet.

To me, Nightbreed is basically District 9 but with monsters instead of aliens. It's just such a stupidly on-the-nose allegory that you aren't being subversive, you're just proselytizing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think I'm the outlier in finding something worthwhile in each of the Hellraiser films except Revelations. That one sucked so hard it blows.

Hellworld is more irredeemable imo. At least the found-footage one didnt have Bradley in it. Hellworld is literally worse than Stay Alive, a movie with the same premise written by CliffyB

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 28, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hellraiser 3 has a special place of hate in my heart, because it so fundamentally mis-understands the place it nominally takes place in. Yeah, sure, it's "New York City," but when the streets are totally empty at 9pm on a weekend, and the response to a nightclub massacre is that 'all 8 members of the NYPD respond,' it's a little off, y'know.

Like, set it in a small town. Set it in England. Set it anywhere but the place literally called "the city that never sleeps" if you're not going to have the budget for any extras or even a big fight scene.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

It's a website where you log and/or review what films you watch when you watch them. It's fun, visually appealing, easy to use and most goons in CineD use it.

Here's mine. Here's a thread for it.

Think Goodreads for movies, but actually good and with a user-base that is fun and interesting and not dumb as gently caress.

edit: It's handy because you can easily adjust it or add movies to your list, create list to share, and find a bunch of films you might otherwise not know about. And you can spy on other goons and laugh at them when they log and review tentacle hentai films to their diary.

I joined Criticker 10 years ago and now I can't switch because I'm not re-doing 1800 mini reviews. I know there's an XML export/transfer, but too many movie titles and my mini-reviews have "'s in them and so it's all hosed up

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I got into a semi-angry fight with a friend at a bar last night when he said he thought Gremlins 2 was terrible

I will spill blood for that movie

Gremlins 2 is the last time we will ever see a studio go out of its way to get the original director back. Dante begged off for years, saying he didn't have a story to tell. When they gave him final cut, he let loose and essentially carpet bombed the idea of sequels.

Hollywood has since figured out there are a million Brett Ratners who can convincingly play another director and come in under budget with a simulacrum that appears to be a sequel to a hit.

Seriously, Institute for Gremlins 2 Studies is a lot more correct than it is wrong about a lot of stuff.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Adlai Stevenson posted:

My vote is for '88 The Blob. Everything is gooey and amped in the right ways.
This is pretty accurate. I just listened to Mick Garris' podcast and he had David Russell on to talk about Blob 88 and Freddy 3, and he was just so happy to have done so many practical effects in that, and how he thought they held up. They absolutely do! It's so good!

However, there's no reason to have "best Horror IP relaunch, because The Thing (82) exists.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fart City posted:

Not enough people credit Blob ‘88 with the bravery of straight up melting a kid.

Yeah, it's really something. You have this square-jawed football hero high school kid, set up the whole time as the male lead who will need to rescue Shawnee Smith(!!) in act 3... and then he just gets melted the gently caress down at the break into act 2. It's the best swerve of its kind until probably Feast or (out of the genre, but also stellar) Executive Decision

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Army of Darkness is a very good movie, but it is in no sense of the word a horror movie. It has literal "sproy-yo-yo-yoing!" sound effects in it. It is wholly uninterested in being horror, just in using horror trappings to tell its comedy tale. Gremlins has more legitimate scares and frights in it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's definitely not The Raft since I would've remembered that as the short story was good but the adaptation in Creepshow 2 was a bit lacking.

Wrong. The Raft is the best story in Creepshow 2 and the spookiest one that stuck with me when I was a kid.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gremlins 2 has a making-of featurette on the disc hosted by the Brain Gremlin, which goes exactly like you'd expect. It is a flawless film.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Godzilla 2000 is amazing.

It's on Netflix.
Is that the one where Godzilla '96 shows up for like two seconds and the real Toho Godzilla loving clowns him and like melts him with atomic breath then suplexes Godzilla '96 into the Sydney Opera House and he's never mentioned again?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Horror is the best genre because it could be just a movie about a bunch of young people trapped in a neo nazi bar and be scarier than any supernatural force or slasher character.

I loved Green Room too, my dude.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ruddiger posted:

(all comedies are existential horror movies)
This tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WKgNyvsNDM

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Null of Undefined posted:

Everything A24 makes is great.

Incorrect, A24 is responsible for The Lobster, which is the honest-to-god worst movie I've seen in 10 years. gently caress mumblecore.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK let me explain about The Lobster, and why it's mumblecore (and what mumble, to me, is):

1) It's plodding. The characters talk in an incredibly artificial, obtuse and useless way. Dialog is not there to advance the plot, or build character (the two uses for dialog), but to enhance the mood of the scene.

2) It's flat. It looks like garbage. It's cheap, it's uninterestingly framed and is seemingly designed to frustrate the viewer who is trying to enjoy the movie. I will concede, this is possibly what they were going for.

3) It's nonsensical. Not, "there's a hotel you go to find love or get turned into an animal," that's generic high-concept stuff. Charlie Kaufman throws out three ideas like that before breakfast. But the entire plot - it meanders, exhibits almost no concern for moving forward at a sensible, rising pace but rather in lurches and fits. The entire second half with the Anti-Hotel people is at least as bad. Again, I will concede, this is possibly by design.

When I think Mumblecore, I think boring, uninspired dialog matched with aggressively neutral framing and staging. It's a movie that rejects the idea of theatricality, as if *I'm* the rear end in a top hat for wanting to be entertained/spooked/laugh for 90-120 minutes.

Anyway The Lobster is the drizzling shits and I'm mad I wasted my afternoon on it.

Although I do take it back, I've seen a *few* worse films than The Lobster in the last 10 years:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 6, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's worse, its Dogma94 minus scripts

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Just... you ever have a movie that just takes your breath away literally? And it just gets under your skin? And you don't really know what to do with yourself right after? You can't like just detach and watch or do something else. You're just filled with energy, but not the good kind of energy, that weird kind of energy like when you're tired and you're stretching your limbs because its got a weird uncomfortable tingling thing or something? And you just want to find someone who can empathize or something but you're just bouncing around your house alone in the middle of the night?

Hereditary.

Yep. It's the best horror movie of 2018.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Null of Undefined posted:

Truth or Dare, okay I get it now, you hate fun.

To be clear, that's the Asylum-level knockoff one that came out the same year, not the "The Demon is represented by Snapchat Filters" one that got a theatrical release.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like Unsane sort of gets buried in discussion of good horror from last year.
It's because it's a thriller, not a horror.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Blood C is this super-super-super (I mean realllllly super-)slow burn show that starts out as generic "magical girl also fights monsters" and slowly morphs into an absolutely BONKERS mindfuck with some of the most over-the-top visuals I've ever seen in any form. Like, legit made me a little sick, and I've never had a problem with anything in Hostel or Miike's ouvre or the 70s rape-revenge flicks.

Do be aware, it's a soft prequel to an entire other series and ends on a complete blue-ball ending since there's another anime to sell you after it, but yeah. Fuckin' Blood C.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 9, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Regarding horror anime, there's a 1987 one called Lily C.A.T. on Prime that's a little longer than it needs to be but still worth checking out. A mashup of Alien and The Thing, with creature designs by Yoshitaka Amano!

Man gently caress you, this "movie" was mostly plagiarism down to the yellow-lit mainframe room and computer called Mother. I want my 70 minutes back for this turd.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

Alien is kinda same thing except not as blatant as Lily Cat.

What movie did you think I was accusing Lily Cat of plagiarising from?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Vampire Hunter D is good and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is near-perfection

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Neither is set before or after the other, theyre each self contained. Bloodlust was made 20 years after D though, so its infinitely better looking, but D probably has the more satisfying story and gorier kills.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Pirhana 3d was always very upsetting to me because it seemed a movie that wanted to be seen as silly and fun despite a lot of unchecked misogyny and general misanthropy
The whole point of Piranha 3-D, the reason it exists, is to suppose that the audience has arrived with the intention of seeing some blood and some titties. Aja responds: "you're all here for blood and titties, so I will give you blood and titties. Only I will make the blood so over-the-top and horrifyingly intense that you will regret that you asked for a movie with blood and titties"

Like, the big setpiece is 'Spring Break, :toot: let's all get hosed up and party' and of course in addition to the beer bongs and wet T-shirt contests, the Piranhas arrive with a remarkably similar thesis: "let's gently caress up all these partiers"

Gianna Michaels being shredded while parasailing topless is like the perfect example. Here's legitimately the biggest adult film star in the world, with the bottom half of her body chewed to bits and innards plopping into the water below. Did you get to see some titties? Sure, some of the best titties according to some. But you also saw them attached to a mutilated, grotesque corpse. So did you get what you wanted?

Piranha 3-D is the best movie of 2010 and better version of whatever the gently caress Haeneke was trying with Funny Games.

One of the problems with a lot of people who decry misogyny in film is that there is a legitimate reason to include it, if you're criticizing it. Not just in Hayes-code level morality either. People can embody traits you find distasteful and exist in film. That's kind of the point. If everyone was completely correct in all their opinions, who would we cheer for to get eaten next in a monster movie?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I may be a sick and bad person because I love Piranha 3D and find it hilarious.

Piranha 3-DD is a worse film by every measure, but it does have two things in it that are an upgrade over the original:

1) Katrina Bowden

2) The line "Josh cut off his penis because something came out of my vagina."