Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Best opening scene is TCM with the narration, the camera flashes of the dug up corpse in the dark, to the corpse on the monument. TCM is also the best horror movie.

Also,
Jason Lives is the best.
Phantasm I-IV are all good for dif reasons.
Tom Atkins :love:
Linnea Quigley is best horror babe.
Bram Stoker's Dracula is a hilariously bad mess, but a beautiful looking one.
Suspiria is by far the most overrated horror movie, but a beautiful looking one.
Black Christmas is the best slasher, and better than Halloween by a lot.
Rob Zombie is just ok. Eli Roth has never been good.
Evil Dead > Evil Dead II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

A lot of the time, Italian et al. movies were shot for English because they were easier to sell, so actors who didn't understand English were instructed to phonetically mouthe the English dialogue so the lips would match when they dubbed in the lines later. Many actors had no idea what they were saying, and if you were to hear the on-set sound of their performances, it would sound like incoherent mumbling.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Windows 98 posted:

Can anyone cite any films that have someone choke another person out using their own intestines?

Riki-Oh

^yeh

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

King Vidiot posted:

Mancini is still supposed to be making a final movie and also a TV series. He retains the rights to Chucky, Charles Lee Ray et al.

Wait, so the only thing MGM owns is the Child's Play title and nothing else? How the hell did Mancini pull that off?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

A friend of a friend brought that horror trivial pursuit to a Halloween getogether and I owned their p0ser asses.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

I like Phantasm IV. :shrug:

Phantasm V though...

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Has there ever been an in-canon explanation of why Jason almost-drowned and then decided to live in the woods for some reason, even though his mom was right there.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

The movie with the most overt reference to Freddy being a child molester is, oddly, Freddy vs. Jason. Him being a diddler was never the point because his initial motivation in the movies is revenge against the parents who killed him, not creepy ghost lust. Otherwise, he'd just be molesting kids in the dream world and nobody wants to see that poo poo.

His motive gets pretty muddled around the middle of the series though, where he just enjoys killing and wants to kill as many people as possible for fun I guess. None of these long running slasher series can really maintain a consistent internal logic for very long.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

There's really nothing like Henry. It's got a tone that I haven't really seen anywhere else. But something in the ballpark in terms of subject matter and bleakness, but with a more humorous bent, is Man Bites Dog.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Videodrome.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Some more good 'uns.

Chopping Mall

Scanners 2

Scanner Cop II

and of course
Dawn of the Dead

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Karloff posted:

the DVD is also apparently in a cropped 16:9.

Wtf, really?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

So birdbox challenge is def an astroturfed trend by netflix to shore up their turd movie, yes?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

If by movie

Dracula
Frankenstein
Invisible Man
Creature
Phantom

Wolf Man (aside from the sets and Bela, it isn't very good)

Still haven't seen Mummy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

TheKingslayer posted:

Yeah! This poo poo. I want the bad guy from Tango And Cash running around sucking blood.

Or this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCn7N-NGUXE#t=129s

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Some bizarre Friday the 13th takes in here. 6 is best, and most of them are barely watchable, this is canon.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

There are no good Hellraiser sequels after 2. The Christian morality tale in the style of Jacob's Ladder formula ever since part 5 is a total waste of time.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hey, just a heads up that the new season of True Detective premiered tonight and the first 2 episodes are directed by Jeremy Saulnier, the guy who did Blue Ruin and Green Room! I don't know if he's directing the whole season, but I certainly hope he is.

Also I got some pretty strong psychological horror vibes from that first episode. I got chills like crazy near the end. Reminded me a lot of Se7en. I've gotta watch that second episode.

Definitely did not think I'd be saying this show was good again after the poo poo second season, but that first episode was better than that entire last season!

Yeah it's good so far, but Saulnier left the show over differences with Pizzolatto, so he only directed the first two episodes. I'm worried that the rest will suffer from his departure. Hope not.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Liberal Idiot posted:

drat, that triple-feature would have been a trip. "Guardian of Hell" is Bruno Mattei's "The Other Hell," "The Craving" is Paul Naschy's "Night of the Werewolf" and "Burial Ground" is, well, "Burial Ground."

EDIT: Also, LOL at "Hard Ticket to Hawaii" in a theater. I didn't think those movies existed without Rhonda Shear interrupting them.

Word

mychildhood.txt

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

STAC Goat posted:

How do people regard Inferno? All the years I never actually watched Argento I always associated Suspiria as the film I HAD to see and then extrapolated out that the Three Mothers Trilogy was something I had to see (and in fact I'd say part of the reason it took me so long to see Suspiria was because I had it my mind that I had to see Inferno and Mother of Tears as well and it was a small miracle to find all three available or affordable at once).

Now that I've actually seen Suspiria it seems like Opera, Tenebrae, and Phenomena are the next big talked about films of his while Inferno is largely an after thought (and Mother of Tears seems regarded badly). But I've always seen stuff that suggests Inferno is really underrated. So I'm curious.

Basically, if someone hypothetically were to say "You have to see Suspiria" and you were to say "I have, but I'll watch ____" what would be the natural choice? Because I gather "Inferno" is the wrong answer despite it being my first instinct.

Deep Red.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

I'm an audio guy and that is incomprehensible to me.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

The thread consensus that it was a horrible idea made them back off.

Also, the worst thing to "watch" in a chill situation would be something far more boring than Serbian Film or Antichrist or whatever, because at least that poo poo gets your pulse up. I've dated girls who would've been totally into it, for better or worse. The worst possible fiction thing (so excluding Shoah) would be some poo poo that's just dead on arrival, like a bad Adam Sandler comedy or a Hallmark original.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Yeah, Linus Roache is the best performance in Mandy for sure.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Bad cgi aside, yeah, and it sucks. It's hard for Steven Webber to come off as really threatening, TV movies always feel neutered and this is no exception, and the kid who plays Danny has a weird rear end face.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think my grail is going to the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre house, which is now a very cute little coffee house.

If you ever go, you should check out the gas station from TCM too. They serve bbq and the inside is a gift shop. They even have a big green hippie van out back.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Well that commercial was a nostalgia bolt I didn't expect, holy poo poo.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

From what I remember, Stanley was fired before Brando even made it to set. Most of his experience was bad circumstance, like Brando being delayed by a death in the family and a hurricane submerging the set. His awful experience with an actor was with Kilmer, who was apparently worse than Brando. Once Frankenheimer took over is when the shoot really got underway and became the Kilmer and Brando shitshow. I remember there being a quote from Frankenheimer about Kilmer like "I wouldn't put that prick in my movie if it were called 'The Val Kilmer Story'".

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

I've never read Christine, but since it's Stephen King I'm assuming that Arnie fucks the car in the book, yeah?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Yeah, I have a sentimental love of People Under the Stairs too. When I was around 9 or 10, my mother and I rented both it and Lawnmower Man (my choices) and spent the afternoon watching them and laughing our asses off, eating Mike & Ikes and hot Warheads. It's a good memory.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Can't wait for the Halloween expanded universe. They'll have a prequel involving Laurie's struggle in between the original film and the last one, where she's stalked by a Myers copycat a-la Friday the 13th 5. It'll be called "Strode". Then a Loomis spinoff prequel from the days where he tried to reach Michael before he finally gave up. Maybe they'll even bring Jamie Lloyd back where she teams up with Michael to see who can accumulate the highest body count before Nov 1, in an alternate timeline flick where 4 and 5 are canon but 6 is ignored, because gently caress it. So many avenues full of potential!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

I want one of those super realistic silicone masks, but of Tom Atkins. That way, my getting insanely drunk on Halloween will be completely in character with my costume.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

ruddiger posted:

Haha, I just took a look at the other pics and one of his accessories is a little can of Miller High Life.

Lol I want this dumb thing now

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

The horror section at my mom n pop was like a candy store. Crazy huge selection. And they didn't police what you rented as a kid. I remember when I was 9 or 10 and this one girl who worked there recommended Henry. But that cover with Michael Rooker's blank stare made me think that I probably wasn't ready for that.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Neo Rasa posted:

Instead of whatever they have planned for now as a sequel to Halloween 2018, they should start making a Halloween H20 but 20 Years Later from Halloween Resurrection with Busta Rhymes/etc. back.

I was going to say the time wouldn't match until I realized that Resurrection will be 20 in three years :stare:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

My birth year horror: Evil Dead, The Howling, Scanners, Possession, The Beyond, Halloween II, The Burning, The Prowler, An American Werewolf in London, F13th part 2, The Funhouse, My Bloody Valentine, House by the Cemetery, Happy Birthday to Me, Dark Night of the Scarecrow, Just Before Dawn, ok wow what a year

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Any of y'all so unapologetically nostalgic that you collect VHS tapes? The horror tape scene seems to be booming atm.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

ruddiger posted:

I don't like that prices have ballooned up just to gouge the collector's market, some maniac paid a few thousand dollars for a VHS bootleg of Black Devil Doll From Hell recently. As much as I love that movie (I own a VHS copy of it myself, but I only paid 2 bucks for it when my local mom and pop went out of business), there's honestly no reason for someone to be dropping that kind of cash on an old piece of obsolete media, especially if it's been remastered and resold on DVD/Bluray.

e: just looked it up, and it was Chester Turner's other movie, Tales From the Quadead Zone, that sold for a thousand.

http://www.lunchmeatvhs.com/blog/a-...nalog-treasure/

One of the benefits of going back to my dead, hole in the wall hometown over the holidays is that there aren't enough people there to give a poo poo about things like tapes or retro gaming, so I picked up a Halloween III tape for a dollar and a refurb SNES with Tetris Attack for 35 bucks.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Dec '81, Ghost Story. Could be worse I guess.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Me reading the new thread title: lol look at all these lightweights who have never experienced the sheer unrelenting pain and boredom of Jack-O.

Scarecrows '88, Dark Night of the Scarecrow, and the F13th series episode are by far the best scarecrow poo poo around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Sheet ghosts: you're made of fabric, what are you gonna do, tuck me in?

Witches: pssh what are you gonna do, sweep my floors?

Zombies: pssh, what are you gonna do, slowly stumble me to death?

Chucky: lol it's a literal toy, just kick it

Demons: hah I'm an atheist, gently caress you

Nothing is scary if u think about it