Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm trying to watch as much slow burn stuff as I can get my hands on right now. I'm not big on gore or (unearned) jump scares, but I like a movie that either sets a mood or ramps up the intensity. Lake Mungo is probably one of my favorite, but I watched Savageland today which was pretty brilliant considering how so much of it was told through still photographs. I finally got around to The Invitation as well and I thought that was just a fantastic film from start to finish. I love the documentary style film so what else should I look for? I've seen Hell House LLC recently too which was just fantastic. I'm pretty late to the party on a lot of these movies so any suggestions would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I watched Superdeep over the weekend and all in all it's a solid C+, but only thanks to the back half. Some really gnarly body horror stuff elevated it a bit. But holy cow the cast of the movie takes the cake for absolute dumbest horror movie cast I've seen in a long time. Borderline incompetent at every level to a degree that was frustrating to watch. I'd still recommend it for its high points but they definitely come later in the film (late spoilers) That loving amalgam monster was disturbing as poo poo.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
My girlfriend and I are kind of on an underground horror movie kick. We've seen all the good ones (Burrowers, The Descent, As Above, So Below, etc). We were lukewarm on Superdeep last week so we gave The Devil Below on Netflix a go, and WOW what an amateurish film it was. It failed at pretty much every level to do anything interesting. It looked flat and boring, the sound design was nothing, the creatures looked hysterically bad. Felt like some college student watched some of the same films I did and said "Lets do that!". We paused to let the dog out around 45 minutes in and realized that nothing had happened yet and just kind of did the mental math on whether or not to finish the movie. We did and it was just a big ol' shrug.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kvlt! posted:

August Underground 1 is both literally mostly in a basement and metaphorically an "underground" film

Too underground for my blood!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The Hole in the Ground (2019)

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxY2vnJiByw

A24 doesn't gently caress around.

Oh yeah that looks directly up my alley. I guess I just missed it when it came out or something. Going right on the list!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dinosaurs! posted:

Not sure I should admit I clicked on a horror movie review on Polygon, but:

https://www.polygon.com/22559302/let-us-in-review-black-eyed-children

I’m not sure if they’re trying to be tongue-in-cheek, but how many decades does this writer think people have had to make movies in an aesthetic that’s only recently become its own genre?

I mean, I'm old, but the writer is talking about movies like Explorers, The Last Starfighter, Flight of the Navigator, etc. It was a thing for a minute in the 80s but kind of serves as nostalgia fodder for today's entertainment.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
That kill in Fear Street 1 was super fuckin' gnarly and I was not expecting the movie to take it that far. I've enjoyed both of the Fear Streets so far tbh. They are pretty competent movies with some real confidence in their kills. The camera really doesn't shy away from the deed too often. I thought they did a pretty good job of anchoring the movies in their given time periods too without going too overboard with "HAY REMEMBER THIS???" moments.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know from other people that Prime has lost an absolute ton of titles in the last week or so, which might explain the shift in recommendations.

I don't know if this is the case or not, but they seem to be separating quality films in genres and making you pay an additional fee for the experience. I noticed a lot of the horror films I was scanning required some Monsters and Nightmares membership for an additional 2.99 a month.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Alhazred posted:

Whoa, the Babysitter was an actual good movie by McG.

I thought it was tons of fun, but I've found myself a bit less critical of McG's "style" (for lack of a better term) as I've gotten older. I felt like the cast all did a really good job with the material and had a lot of chemistry which is kind of underrated in horror flicks, I think.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Chris Rock is easily the worst part of Spiral. The man cannot act. He looks like he's trying really, really hard to act and then you just get his perpetual wincing face in every single scene. I liked Spiral overall but his performance didn't do it any favors.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

M_Sinistrari posted:

30 Coins is one of the best horror series I've seen in a while.

30 Coins was bonkers good and I hope so hard they make more. Just a weird, gross, fun series from start to finish. Tonally I never really knew what to make of it but I could not turn it off. It was just fantastic.

I finally watched the Empty Man and while I really enjoyed it I honestly can't say I understand it too well. So, bad guy from Iron Man 3 is told near the end that he's a Tulpa, which is cool. But the way the film focused on his memories (that he was told he was given) at the end made it seem like maybe that was bullshit? It seemed odd to tell him that those were all implanted then focus on them like they had actual weight or something. I suppose it could be what Amanda said - that the grief is necessary for the Other thing to slip in. If anyone understands it better, please share. Overall, very few movies really drive home that pervasive sense of dread for me like The Empty Man did. Caveat did too and left me feeling similarly confused.

Any other recommendations along those lines are welcome.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

gey muckle mowser posted:

poo poo, I was only mildly interested in 30 Coins but now I’m bumping it up to next on my TV watchlist

30 Coins is kind of a bonkers ride that absolutely just does its own loving thing from start to finish. I absolutely had no idea where it was going to go next and it was great. It felt like a super R-rated Millenium to me from time to time, though that might just be me.

I'd never heard of that other movie so that's getting bumped to the top of my watchlist now.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I watched a movie on Prime today called The Last Shift, on a whim, and it wasn't bad! It was a slow burn with a real creepy, believable atmosphere for the first third of the movie. I've done solo shifts in buildings like that where things just feel "off" and the paranoia felt really relatable. It kind of fell apart for me towards the end a bit but overall was a good watch. Definitely solid atmosphere and some decent scares.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Basebf555 posted:

Check out The Void if you want something that's similar but imo better.

Yeah I really enjoyed The Void! Anything else in that vein I might enjoy?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Franchescanado posted:

In The Mouth of Madness, Baskin, and maybe As Above So Below

From Beyond! Event Horizon, The Resurrected

drat, I've seen all of those but The Resurrected. I'll have to peep that. Thanks for that!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Thanks for all the recommendations. I have seen literally all of them other than The Resurrected so I may hit that up tonight. I've seen The Void several times and really enjoy it. I know opinions on it are mixed but I really like how dreamlike it feels. The Prince of Darkness is similar and is near The Thing for me for favorite John Carpenter flick.

I liked the Empty Man and Caveat for similar reasons though they are generally not much like any of those movies other than tone, IMO.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ghosts of Mars is one of the messiest films I've ever seen but it's charming in how dumb it is. A character in a flashback has a flashback sequence and it's just mindboggling that made it to print. But like most Carpenter movies there's something about it that works for me(even when it doesn't).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I watched a movie on Shudder this weekend called Host (not the Korean one). I've been on a short-form horror kick and when I saw it was like 50 minutes I jumped. It's basically a horror film over a Zoom call. Given that's been my life for the last year and a half it felt super relevant. Overall I thought it was really well done. The acting was low key and pretty believable and the few effects that were in the movie were pretty good! The attic bit when she pans the camera around and sees the hanging legs made me legit jump . Some decent, earned jump scares too. It was nice and short and never overstayed its welcome, I think. All in all a really enjoyable movie.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
My girlfriend showed me a movie this weekend called Extremity (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6664700/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0). I'd never heard of it before but she's a big horror fan and has seen some obscure stuff so I'm always along for the ride. It was a really engaging film, if maybe a bit too much for me. It felt like maybe a kickstarter film or something where they had an idea and just ran with it doing the best they could. The level of sexual violence on display was uncomfortable and some of the regular violence was super brutal. I'm fascinated by the whole "extreme" haunt culture and I enjoyed the movie's deconstruction of that.

I know I'm definitely a lightweight compared to many in the thread so I'd definitely recommend it. It doesn't pull many punches.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

alf_pogs posted:

same director as Last Shift, which i really enjoyed, so i'll definitely check it out. your girlfriend sounds tough and cool

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize the director was the same! I just watched Last Shift and enjoyed it overall, even though I don't feel like it stuck the landing. The atmosphere was legit though.

She is tough and cool and keeps me safe during extra scary movies.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

gey muckle mowser posted:

The first section/prologue of The Empty Man could stand on it's own as a really excellent short film

That was easily my favorite part of the movie, though the whole journey was pretty weird and tense. I definitely give the film high marks. The opening is so strong the rest of the movie kind of pales in comparison though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Memnaelar posted:

Crazy to me to see so many people hating on Midnight Mass in this thread. Yes, it wears its influence on its sleeve, but it's also, I think, one of the best explorations of its chosen genre, which is normally either about good people ALMOST doing bad things but doing right in the end or complete monsters doing monstrous things that have no impact because those people weren't ever human to begin with.

I thought it was real good and particularly impactful if you were raised Roman Catholic (I was). I feel bad for the folks who didn't derive the same amount of pleasure from it that I did; I think it's Flanagan's best yet.

I feel like Flanagan's passion is character drama that may or may not have horror elements and your enjoyment is directly proportional to how much you enjoy that in a given setting. I'm with you, it totally landed for me but I understand why people going in expecting something else wouldn't be super into it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

So while watching this zoom call of Jamie Lee Curtis and Neve Campbell interviewing each other it occured to me: is it just me or is horror fandom surprisingly chummy? I feel like you don't see the kinds of jealous rivalries with other media like Marvel & DC, Sega & Nintendo, Biggie & 2pac, etc.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1319031959792869377?s=20

Let me know if I'm wrong and if you all personally witnessed the epic schoolyard fights between the Jason kids and the Freddy kids or whatever, but with horror I feel like everyone's generally on the same team, so to speak.

That's been my experience too. Even though horror seems really divisive, horror fans as a whole seem very inclusive. We may disagree on Rob Zombie vs. Mike Flanagan all the time but everyone is usually pretty good natured about it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

WeaponX posted:

Agreed, it clearly owes a lot to Grave Encounters but I actually liked Gonjiam better

I think both movies have some things over the other but they are both totally worth watching. I wish I could watch them both again for the first time tbh.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kvlt! posted:

I need the deepest of the deep weird cuts. I've been on a kick of Jodorowsky type stuff. I've seen all of Ben Wheatley, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Tetsuo, Tarkovsky, Cronenberg. Go deep and go weird. Gimme the weirdest poo poo.

I dunno, I liked Extremity and no one but my girlfriend seems to have seen it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Watched V/H/S/94 last night and I think it was the best of them all. Not that the bar is super high or anything but I genuinely enjoyed every vignette this time around. I think all of them were good which isn't something I can say for the previous films. I really enjoyed How the slow funeral home tape is followed by this balls to the wall, weird Tokyo Gore Police/Doom mashup that left nothing to the imagination. Also, gently caress white supremacists. That was a cathartic ride.. The wraparound was pretty dumb but the rest of the movie was fantastic.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

I don't know why everyone is so hard in the VHS 94 wrap around. Like yeah, it's not the strongest story and the ending's dumb, but the individual interludes are like 30 seconds each

I don't think anyone is "hard" on it. It's dumb, like you said. It's just not good. It being short doesn't really improve it in this case. I think you could have shaved some time off the Indonesian segment and maybe cooked the wraparound a bit more so it felt like it had any impact at all.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Chas McGill posted:

Malignant was hilarious. I haven't seen much James Wan before but I assume the writing and acting was deliberately, ironically bad/cheesy? It did feel like a throwback to the late 90s. I really loved the moodily lit police station.

I choose to believe that every single thing in that movie was 100% intentional and everyone is in on it. It makes it way more fun for me to watch. It's definitely not a standard Wan movie though. I wish his other stuff was that much fun.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Parrotine posted:

The Empty Man is one incredibly well shot film, hard to put into words but the cinematography is outstanding.

I agree completely. Visually, The Empty Man grabbed me from its opening scene and while the story didn't entirely stick the landing for me, I was totally sucked in. It's a really gorgeous movie. I found myself commenting out loud how certain shots were framed while watching it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kvlt! posted:

Empty Man was so good I wish there were more tulpa movies

My first introduction to the concept was in an early season episode of Supernatural and I've always wondered why we don't see more movies with that as a concept.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Okay

Deep House loving ruled

Underwater haunted house movie. Deeply unsettling

I HIGHLY recommend it

Where can I watch this? Looks like it was made directly for me based on a dream I had once :v:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The Deep House is pretty fantastic. It's a slow burn and pretty low key and does a lot with what amounts to a little. It is straight out of my nightmares though. Your mileage may vary but underwater stuff gets under my skin in general. I find myself holding my breath during anything that takes place under water for an extended period of time. That said The titular house is kind of an amazing set and well utilized. The way the "zombies" or whatever move under water is absolutely terrifying to me. The movie does have a dreamlike feel to it which helps the atmosphere.

I thought I was going to have some trouble with the main dude. He was giving off Paranormal Activity Micah vibes at first but after a while I was like "this is a guy you want underwater with you when things go wrong". The way he was able to calm down his girlfriend felt really genuine and helpful. The cast were overall pretty likeable despite the main dude's obsession with "views". They didn't overdo that aspect which helped.

Highly recommended for me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Duckula posted:

The Deep House spoilers within

Holy poo poo I did not see that bleak ending coming and was glad it cut to the credits instead of some kind of improbable happy ending / it was all a hallucination type of bullshit.

I found it appropriate because She lied about her time in the beginning. She held her breath for like 1:22 but told dude it was 3 minutes. If she had been able to hold her breath that long, she probably would have survived! I

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm in the "enjoy a movie for what it is" camp. I tend to just give myself to the experience of a movie - I don't play on my phone or distract myself and just enjoy the ride. I can pick it apart afterwards if I really want to, but I rarely do.

Most horror is pretty scary to me. I don't necessarily like realistic violence, though it can be effective. The Invitation had a couple scenes in it that absolutely turned my stomach The wine bottle to the cult leader just felt so brutal and nasty, with him laying on the ground just moaning. Ugh. But it worked! My absolute favorite movies are anything that slow burn or provide mounting tension. A good ghost story or gothic horror is right up my alley.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Heavy Metal posted:

As a fellow Gundam enthusiast, I'd have thought your favorite films were epic stylish heroic space war sagas?? But it is tough to pick a favorite.

On the thing about enjoying a movie for what it is, usually not picking it apart etc. This sounds like achieving zen. How did you do it? A movie doesn't sometimes not do it for ya?

You know, it takes a lot for me to really bounce off a movie. I don't necessarily "like" every movie I see but most can draw me in. I think a lack of internal consistency is what really turns me off to films. That Superdeep movie was a good example - the cast of characters were so stupid it was hard for me to suspend my disbelief. I still enjoyed it overall though.

I have noticed that my girlfriend struggles to get into things when she watches them alone, but really digs into things when we are together. The difference seems to be when she's just watching movies by herself she's constantly distracted by other things like her phone or whatever. She will rewatch something with me and talk about how she missed X, Y or Z about the movie the first time. Maybe that's the key. I don't do horror movies as background noise, personally.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
My Halloween movies were There's Someone In Your House and No One Gets Out Alive as a double feature on Netflix. Both were pretty solid! The first one had some Scream vibes and was pretty fun. Lots and lots of red herrings but kind of predicable by the end. The latter was super moody and wore its commentary on its sleeve (not a bad thing). The whole weird Mexican death god thingie in that Lovecraftian box gave off really strong Ritual vibes, which makes sense since I guess both stories were by the same author? Definitely would watch again.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Watched The Medium last night on Shudder and I can't say I've been that stressed out by a movie in a long time. The setup is masterfully done and the payoff is bananas. Probably one of the best possession type horror movies I've ever seen.

I'm not sure if the movie was intentionally ambiguous or if it's more an issue of not understanding some cultural things. I have more than a few questions about things that just sort of happened, but I'm still putting my thoughts together.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 28, 2021

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I thought Chris Rock was doing a parody of the Saw cop thing when I first saw the movie. I liked the movie overall but he was easily the worst part.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

STAC Goat posted:

The last act is completely bonkers and just abandons the entire found footage premise in anything but a symbolic gesture. I feel like how you feel about the movie rests entirely on how you feel about that. The first two thirds is a fun found footage film. The last act is an insane schlock fest. If you can go with it its fun, but if the shift bugs you the film is very dumb.

Like Malignant had the same "go insane in the last act" thing but it was much more tonally consistent. Next of Kin just becomes another movie and neither movie have anything to do with Paranormal Activity. Which is fine...but weird.

I watched The Medium right before Next of Kin (it really shouldn't be called Paranormal Activity tbh) and that movie has the market cornered on completely bonkers last acts. Next of Kin felt like a wet fart in comparison.

I didn't hate the movie but it also didn't do a lot for me either. The setting was cool but ultimately wasted. The cast were fairly likeable too. I feel like there was a much better movie in there than what we got.

The ending also precludes any sort of realistic sequel structure unless they want to do Found Footage about the literal apocalypse, which I admit would be pretty baller if they could pull it off. Realistically they'll just forget how it ended and make more anyway.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Chucky and Evil!

I just caught up on Evil and while it has some good ideas, it'll be ten seasons in before we ever really see the plot unfold, it feels like. The show moves at a glacial pace. It's weird and funny though and the cast is (mostly) really likeable.

I need to binge Chucky next.