Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The Stand is coming out as a 10-episode series.

I have a real soft spot for the old miniseries - they casted pretty well and the first half is good, even if the back half is fairly lame with a terrible ending. Great use of Don't Fear the Reaper though. CBS All Access is doing pretty well with The Good Fight and Star Trek Disco, so I'm optimistic on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

The Scary Stories illustration of the girl with the spider babies in her face haunts me to this day.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Finally got around to watching Mandy. Mandy owns. I can see that first hour throwing people off with its pace but if you're in the right mood it's a really hypnotic experience.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

The first IT movie was a great funhouse horror movie that audiences loved. The 2nd IT will also be a great funhouse horror movie that audiences love, and there's nothing wrong with that.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Any thoughts on Black Summer on Netflix? Eight episode series after a zombie outbreak that doesn't really explain much of anything about the outbreak, characterization is mostly based on how people respond to life-or-death circumstances and there's just really a lot left to viewers to fill out on their own.

I'm not really sure I'd recommend it but I do find it interesting. The directing & acting can be quite good at times and they do a good job of creating some really tense, memorable sequences. The best episode might be one where they pull of a heist that pretty much comes of out nowhere without any build up to it where you just kind of guess that one character knows how to pull of this heist with inside info, but it's never explained.

But then the episodes vary wildly from 20-50 minutes? And there are a bunch of meaningless chapter titles? And there's an emotional monologue in a late episode that's in a foreign language without any subtitles? And there's a badass hobo guy that never speaks any lines and just disappears with his cool dog? And everyone knows they have to shoot the zombies in the head but they never aim for the head? And then at the end everybody has automatic weapons? And a main-ish character's fate is never accounted for?

I liked it but have never really seen anything quite like it. It's pretty frustrating but compelling as well. And it's the most obviously "filmed in Canada" series I've seen in a while.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I've been watching horror movies for my entire life and somehow I still have never seen Hellraiser despite being freaked out by seeing Pinhead whenever I was renting movies as a kid and seeing it discussed all the time in here.

That's changing now. :getin:

e: Yeah, this rules. DON'T LOOK AT ME.

el oso fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 22, 2019

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Phantom of the Paradise is such a fun movie. I could watch it over and over. So glad that Shudder made it available.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Watched Summer of '84. I think I liked it? The tone is all over the place and it felt like it was forcing nostalgia too much most of the time but it had good performances and a great, unexpectedly bleak ending.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

ReapersTouch posted:

Watched House for the first time last night. Kinda of a mess, but it had heart. Gonna watch the sequel later tonight.

I was always creeped out by the House poster as a kid but I never actually watch it until tonight and it is cheeeeeeeesy. Entertaining but not very scary at all. Reminded me of Evil Dead quite a bit.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

George Wendt is really great in House, and he's still alive today!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Finally watched Ravenous tonight. Ravenous owns.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I loved Mandy sober. I need to watch Mandy not sober.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Finally watched Us. It's really good.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Escape Room was pretty entertaining. Fun and creative for most of the running with a lame ending. Horror movies in general have trouble with their endings since they are usually endlessly setting up sequels and this was no exception, but there was no real way to wrap up a premise like this in a way that made any real sense at all.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

My god Color Out of Space is a real one.

Do tell!

I'm so bummed I wasn't able to get tickets to this at TIFF :(

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

It certainly has a scene I will never forget.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

They haven’t cast the Trashcan Man for the Stand miniseries but that’s the one person I believe they should just pull from the original miniseries, gently caress it just throw Matt Frewer in there again

He’s only 60 and I always pictured Trashcan Man as an older man anyway

Absolutely yes to this.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

If any of you host Halloween parties, I have a playlist of horror trailers, tv spots, show intros, theater bumpers, and hotline commercials that I put on my TV whenever I throw my shindigs. I'll sometimes put it on throughout October too when I'm doing every day poo poo like making drinks or grading papers. Have at it.

The Video Dead: A Horror Trailer Compilation

This is fantastic.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

T3hRen3gade posted:

Dolls loving rules.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Hell House LLC: 8/10
Hell House LLC II: Shouldn't exist
Hell House LLC III: Should't exist slightly less

I still can't believe that the creator of this series made the sequels. The first movie was delightful; it had an incredible sense of its physical space, good, naturalistic performances and a restraint from going over the top on its scares.

The sequels were so disappointing. Terrible performances, repetitive sequences, over explaining bullshit.

I admit I did get excited seeing the original cast back in action at the end of III but I can't say I'm optimistic based on how the sequels have gone.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

One Cut of the Dead is absolutely fantastic. There's not really any horror in it but any horror fan should love it. Very creative and fun. Can't wait to watch it again.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Creepshow is good fun. Only thing I don't like so far is its look, it's got that kind of cheap digital visual you get from sci-fi shows filmed in Vancouver. You lose a lot with these little anthology segments without that grainy film look.

Speaking of, Body Bags just showed up on Shudder and it was thoroughly enjoyable. Two segments from John Carpenter and one from Tobe Hooper, plus Stacy Keach with an incredible mane of hair.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'd heard good things about The Ruings and yeah, that was a solid flick. I always appreciate horror that mostly takes place in daylight and this movie does a great job with that. It ratchets up the tension really well and it's a unique premise.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Holy poo poo, I watched pretty much all of Lair of the White Worm without realizing that Angus was Peter Capaldi. He looked familiar but I couldn't quite place him, I guess because of the big hair and glasses.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Haunt was a pretty good watch. I'll always have time for haunted house and/or escape room movies and this one had a great set design, interesting enough premise and a really visceral feel to the violence. I've seen a lot of gore but that scene with the dude's face being pulled off with the claw hammer was gnarly. As mentioned there were some odd choices with the story like the abusive boyfriend storyline and Harper walking right up to the shotgun very stupidly and then it clicks like it's empty but then a few minutes later it's loaded again and shoots the bad guy??? and they should have just not done those things, but oh well.

I got pretty excited when it seemed like the antagonists were weird demons or aliens stealing human essences one body part at a time but I guess it wasn't that and they were just weirdos? Too bad, that would have been cool if they went that way - the makeup was quite good though.

el oso fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 26, 2019

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Holy loving poo poo Zombie's Halloween II is a great motherfucking movie.

It rips. Don't let the haterz bring you down

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

mikeycp posted:

so I saw this and realized joe bob sucks rear end

https://twitter.com/therealjoebob/status/1199802820289011712?s=19

and THEN i found out he writes for a nazi rag about feeling bad for nazis. jesus christ

Directors in the 70's and 80's not having a message in their movies is a loving WILD take

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Just gonna leave this here...

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Finally got around to IT2 and it was pretty disappointing. It is way long but still woefully manages to not adequately develop any of the adult Loser characters, there's way too much CGI, the pacing is bizarre and there are just too many "Hey, remember this from the first movie???" scenes.

Bill Hader is very good in the movie and pretty much carries it by himself. James McAvoy ended up being bad casting and he doesn't seem like the Bill from the first movie at all - he's weirdly happy-go-lucky too often in the movie instead of being the traumatized but brave leader they mean him to be. They did Mike real dirty in both movies - I was hoping he'd get a chance to shine in the 2nd movie but they decided he would be a weird crackpot. James Ransome is pretty great casting for an older Eddie but they dial the character up so much you can't like him at all. Chastain is fine but is given nothing interesting to do.

I quite like the first film and it's obvious that it works because the kids in it are so good and bounce off each other very well. But they over rely on them through the frequent flashbacks in the 2nd part, almost as if they were too scared to just be focused on the adults the whole time. Also they lost a lot by not going with the structure of the book and focusing on the adult & kid stories being told at the same time. I did like that they tried to incorporate the Ritual of Chud for the ending but then it turned into them just yelling at IT for a while and that ended up being D-U-M dumb. I never thought that I'd end up liking the 90's miniseries more than these two IT movies after the first part worked so well, but here we are. Props to Skarsgaard who was pretty good despite having to try and live up to Tim Curry.

e: I also feel that they totally whiffed on the subplot of Derry itself being infected by IT and allowing terrible things to happen. The first part had a few scenes where people ignored/enabled violence (loved the creepy TV bits) but that was pretty much absent in the 2nd part.

Anyway that's a lot to write about IT2 but I also finally watched Midsommar tonight and it was excellent. I'll take all the folklore horror you got!

el oso fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 14, 2020

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

It had some horror elements but yeah, it's really a weirdo black comedy and I think most posts in this thread recognize that. Dafoe's "HARK!" rant is amazing and then Pattinson's response to it is absolutely hilarious. Great flick.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Saulnier's episodes of the last season of True Detective were excellent

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

The Stand mostly had excellent casting with Gary Sinise, Matt Frewer, Miguel Ferrer and M O O N standing out. It does a great job in the first half but the 2nd half is fairly meh. Great soundtrack though.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I saw Triangle show up a few times in this thread and watched it tonight. I'm a huge sucker for time loop movies and this absolutely scratched that itched for me. A very fun watch.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Man, Screamers owns. That's just some grade-A 90's Canadian sci-fi horror schlock. The last 20 minutes are so stupidly great.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

IT2 is on tonight and goddamn the CGI kids faces is poorly done

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Unfriended is good, Unfriended 2 is not bad

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

I watched IT part 2, and aside from the grown ups being perfect casting for the kids (was there some prosthetic/cgi work to make them look so spot on?), it felt remarkably weak compared to 1.

I think Hader and Ransome were really good, Chastain was pretty good, Ben was blah and McAvoy was badly miscast (and isn't helped any by poor writing). He doesn't act like young Bill in any way, he's goofy and manic and doesn't seem like an inspiring leader in any way. They did Mike dirty with the way he's written as well.

I thought IT2 was pretty good the first time I watched it but a 2nd viewing brought it down to like a 5/10. Part of what makes IT a good story is the child and grownup stories happening side-by-side - the grownup stuff on its own isn't nearly as interesting, which is why they shoehorned in an hour of flashbacks.

I also think the massive success of IT1 was problematic as it seems like after that they let Muschietti do whatever he wanted to do with the sequel, which is how you end up with an indulgent 3 hour movie with huge pacing issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Swiss Army Man is so good