Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fart City posted:

TOM ATKINS
Wait a minute...how old are you? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A reminder that when it comes to horror movies currently in theaters, The Possession of Hannah Grace is loving poo poo and a waste of your time!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OldTennisCourt posted:

Unfriended: Dark Web was both one of the dumbest and most fun movies of 2018. Also creepy as gently caress sometimes. I really hope we get more Unfriended movies and the next one focuses on creeps on Tinder and stuff :allears:
:same:

It was so much better than the first it's not even close

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

War is horror, right? I saw They Shall Not Grow Old (Peter Jackson's World War 1 documentary featuring restored 100-year-old archive footage from the actual war) tonight and it was heartbreaking but really well done. Lots of gnarly shots of hosed up corpses, people that had trenchfoot, etc. The footage looked way better than something from that era, too. It didn't look like a movie made in 2018 obviously, but the footage looked several decades newer than it actually is.

Basically, if Peter Jackson is putting anywhere near the level of care into the restoration of Dead Alive as he did this one, it's really going to be something special.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The House That Jack Built was certainly a Lars Von Trier movie! It's sadistic as gently caress, but not in an entertaining way (at least IMO). It has a unique style and it's pretty meta (LVT even includes footage from his previous movies in this and repurposes it), but I didn't enjoy myself while I was watching it.

I've seen enough Lars Von Trier movies that I should know by now that they're deeply unsettling experiences. I don't know how I feel about them. I mean I guess they're well made and have a very distinct feel, but I don't know that I'd say I love any of them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hollismason posted:

Just a nice time with friends sitting around the ole yule log with some hot cider settling in to watch

*checks notes*

Cannibal Holocaust
Your friends own

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I only have one of my annual Christmas movies left to watch in order to officially feel the Christmas spirit, and that, my friends, is Silent Night Deadly Night 2.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm watching Silent Night Deadly Night 2 on the biggest TV I have ever owned for the first time. It's 49", so not the biggest one available, but still. Seeing close ups of Eric Freeman's face this big has me howling with laughter. This rules :allears:

e: Also, Ricky and I are a lot alike

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 25, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

I paid full price for it twice and I disagree. It sucks!
Why'd you see it twice if you thought it sucked? Haha

Although I can't really talk since I've done that before myself. I paid full price twice to see The Last Jedi and thought it sucked both times.

I disagree about Overlord, though. Sure, it's not great, but it's a fun enough little movie that's not like a lot of what you typically see in theaters. It's not going on my favorites of the year list, but I had a good time watching it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

axelblaze posted:

https://twitter.com/JordanPeele/status/1077564905258020864
:vince:

Seriously inject this directly into my veins RIGHT NOW
I'm into it! Looks freaky as hell

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/PackBenPack/status/1077669507492020224

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tolkien minority posted:

bird box looks really bad and it makes me sort of irrationally annoyed that its become a hit off some sort of viral meme marketing campaign despite this
It is and when I see some of my friends saying it was really good I think "Is this the only movie you've ever seen?"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ReapersTouch posted:

Watched The Endless last night and also thought it was good.
The Endless was great! I actually put it on my favorite movies of 2018 list.

I had no idea it was a spiritual sequel to Resolution because I'd never seen Resolution and had probably never heard anything about it outside of this thread's ancestor (and didn't remember what I'd heard about it there), so it wasn't exactly on my radar. After watching The Endless, I watched Resolution about a week later and that was great too! Although I didn't feel like I had missed a ton watching The Endless first. The two movies share a lot in common, yeah, but I think they can be watched independently of one another and not suffer as a result of not seeing the other one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

STAC Goat posted:

I think Endless doesn't lose anything by you not seeing Resolution, you just get a couple of extra kicks out of it if you recognize the parallels. But it seems like watching Resolution after Endless would kind of sport that movie a bit. I mean, Resolution is really more about the journey than the destination so it wouldn't do it entirely. But you do basically learn exactly how the movie ends in Endless.

Also if you like those movies I'd recommend Spring from the same filmmakers. Very thematically similar. Discovering Moorehead and Benson was one of my favorite things of the October marathon and I look forward to whatever they do next.
Eh, I still thought Resolution was a well-made, solid movie despite knowing ahead of time kind of what was going on in that universe :shobon: And a lot of that journey isn't shown in The Endless, only part of it.

I'll check it out! Before seeing Endless, all I had seen from them was the Bonestorm segment of V/H/S Viral.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Franchescanado posted:

I'm saying it everywhere, but Unsane is really good.
:yeah:

It made my favorite movies of the year list. I saw it in theaters, loved it and rewatched it a week or two ago. It's still great! The whole part about it being shot all on an iPhone is just an extra reason it's so cool, not the main focus of it. I've seen Claire Foy in a few other movies and I think this is the only one I've really enjoyed her in.

It's on Prime, so you should definitely check it out if you have that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

i watched this movie at someone's house who I couldnt yell at for having motion-smoothing on and it ruined the film for me. im waiting for enough time to pass so I can revisit it anew.
Did you show them Tom Cruise's PSA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbCZpcy0eAk

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Went and saw Escape Room, which was essentially a cross between that Saw sequel where everyone turns out to be linked together by the insurance scheme and the Resident Evil movie where the locations keep shifting. Not anything great, but not as lame as I thought it would be either.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hollismason posted:

Is there a scene where someone solves a riddle to find a key hidden in a sink?
Pretty much! Hahaha

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So this happened

https://mobile.twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1081379118904688642

And one of the first things in the Escape Room movie is a character reads a newspaper about 5 people dying in a fire in an escape room
Was there a sole survivor?

(This is horrible news :ohdear: )

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lmao what the gently caress is up with those accessories?

Those shots are dope though, CP!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Windows 98 posted:

Monster from Bird Box that was cut from the film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ze-8PbK3kw

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

Bird Box sucks rear end

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

Bird Box sucks rear end
This should be the thread title, honestly

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Easy Diff posted:

Just watched Green Inferno, baffled by the choice to have both diagetic and soundtrack drums in one scene and NOT have them be in sync. Why?
Green Inferno still a better movie than Green Book

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hey, just a heads up that the new season of True Detective premiered tonight and the first 2 episodes are directed by Jeremy Saulnier, the guy who did Blue Ruin and Green Room! I don't know if he's directing the whole season, but I certainly hope he is.

Also I got some pretty strong psychological horror vibes from that first episode. I got chills like crazy near the end. Reminded me a lot of Se7en. I've gotta watch that second episode.

Definitely did not think I'd be saying this show was good again after the poo poo second season, but that first episode was better than that entire last season!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah it's good so far, but Saulnier left the show over differences with Pizzolatto, so he only directed the first two episodes. I'm worried that the rest will suffer from his departure. Hope not.
Aww man :( I hope whoever directed the rest of 'em took cues from his work on the first couple. They're SO GOOD.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LesterGroans posted:

Daniel Sackheim and Pizzolatto himself trade off directing duties for the rest of the season.

I've only seen the first 5 episodes, but none of them are as well-directed as Saulnier's episodes. Which is to be expected.
Well poo poo :negative:

How'd you see the other 3? Only the first 2 are on HBO's site. Are they available in another country or something?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1086332668483035136

This is pretty cool of them, and it just got moved up by one day so it's not like a significant delay or anything.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Uh... is there some kind of connection between HDD and Parkland? Because they're not just changing the date, they pulled the movie from that area as a whole (including areas around Parkland) and aren't even showing ads for it there.

That seems genuinely over-the-top.
I guess just because it's called Happy Death Day and it's set on a school campus and it's coming out on the first anniversary of the Parkland shooting, so it's taunting people in that market who are trying to heal.

IIRC there wasn't any kind of school shooting scene in the first one. Not sure if there is in the 2nd one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stonklol:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Origami Dali posted:

I'm an audio guy and that is incomprehensible to me.
Then you'll probably appreciate this horrific thing that Propellerhead (makers of Reason) retweeted the other day:

https://twitter.com/daktyluk/status/1084899945843372033

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/paulmac708/status/1086369219107786753

I say A Serbian Film, but what do y'all think? There are a bunch of good Lars Von Trier candidates too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/panoscosmatos/status/1088271963989000192

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fart City posted:

I think your mileage may vary depending on what your own family is like, because the family in Hereditary felt very real to me, and was one of the reasons it was so unsettling.

Tolkien minority posted:

I didn't find the family at all unrealistic, maybe you just had a good home life
:same:

If generational tragedy/abuse isn't something that happened to you/your family, then you likely got off easy and the film probably won't have the same effect on you.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished watching People Under the Stairs for the first time. That was completely absurd and hosed up and also hilarious hahaha

I love how evil white people took all the money out of the ghetto, then at the end it was all given back to them.

Also, drat, Everett McGill and Wendy Robie play reeeeeeeeally different roles in this than they do in Twin Peaks :staredog:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Velvet Buzzsaw was disappointing as hell :smith: Nightcrawler is still one of my favorite movies of the decade, but I'm convinced that was a fluke from Dan Gilroy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

K. Waste posted:

No, Roman J. Israel, Esq. was good, too.
Not from what I remember!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The arm getting torn off was pretty good but that was like the one good part of that whole movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

No I donít think thatís it. I paid 20 bucks to see it twice and itís just the most unsatisfying film Iíve seen in a really long time. Itís almost there but it ends when it shouldíve continued.

I want more of Kurt Russellís kid tho

I saw it twice to be nice to friends.
How was it unsatisfying when you consider most of the poo poo landing in theaters nowadays? It was a neat original concept that wasn't a sequel or remake or part of any pre-existing franchise brought to life by a director without many credits to his name that accomplished pretty much everything it set out to do.

I'd love to crack the code to why you didn't enjoy that film one day haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is one of the best posters I've seen in a while.