Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Am I the only one who thought the Suspiria remake was kind of bad? So many people, ones I generally consider having good taste have said it's great and I just don't get it. Thought it was extremely corny and pretentious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

I will say this. The scene with Olga in the empty dance room was loving insane and maybe even made it worth watching. other than that, I can't think of much else good to say about it.

Tilda Swinton in old man makeup was also just distractingly awful. After watching it, I read something about how they tried to dupe people into thinking it was some actual old guy, which made me laugh. Because 5 seconds into the movie I was like "what is this Benjamin Button poo poo?" I didn't know it was Tilda Swinton until I paused it and X-Ray came up, but it's extremely obvious that it's old person makeup from the second you see it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

STAC Goat posted:

I had no idea it was Swinton until I read the cast list afterwards and didn't even think anything odd about him so I guess I'm just easily duped.

To be fair I am extremely sensitive to old man makeup/CGI changed faces. It's like my least favorite thing, so maybe I am overly critical of it. poo poo like fake Grand Moff Tarkin in Rogue One is like torture to me lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Kvlt! posted:

you know she did the soundtrack too

I thought it was Thom Yorke

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

:hai:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Hollismason posted:

Wake Wood , Let us Prey , A Dark Song , Shrooms are all good Irish Horror movies.

A Dark Song is so underrated.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I will, it doesnít look great and the trailer basically gave away the whole movie

Yeah seriously. I felt like I had already watched the movie by the end of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

He's got a demeanor that people like, and I can sympathize because I kind of feel the same way myself. I wouldn't call him a particularly talented actor though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

I always watch it whenever it pops up on Netflix and I I've regretted it for years lol.

Tbh I can't even remember when the show got terrible. It was never good but at least at one point it was entertaining and had nice production values. Most of the series is just a blur to me at this point. The first season was the only one I remember actively liking. It's not even entertaining anymore. But once it's free it's like "alright let's see what these morons are up to this season"

Negan is legit one of the worst characters in TV history.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

I think more than anything a cinematic quality, super bleak zombie show had a ton of appeal when it showed up. Most non HBO TV at the time was still pretty bad and Zombies hadn't really saturated the TV market yet. In retrospect it seems to me like it was mostly a right place, right time thing. Even the Shane/Rick thing was tedious well before it was over.

The show has also just gotten noticeably cheaper, lazier and all around crappier over time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Nah he's more like Weezer. Two good albums followed by years of trash.

Keep it thematically appropriate and go with Marilyn Manson.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Speaking of Irish horror, I just watched The Hole in The Ground on Prime and really enjoyed it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Tart Kitty posted:

I've been playing Days Gone and while it's a bold choice to cast the player as a walking Monster energy drink can, there is a huge missed opportunity in not making Skoal cans healing items.

But it got me to thinking; when was the last time zombies were truly scary? I'm wracking my brain and I can't think of much recently. And I'm talking real-deal Zombie zombies.

Resident Evil 2 remake?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Alehkhs posted:

I'm looking for recommendations of films with a specific similarity to Hereditary - specifically, I'm looking for movies with heavy occultism, "the occult is real," and/or the cult wins in the end. I'm already familiar with and a fan of The VVitch, and I'm eagerly awaiting Midsommar. Been playing a lot of Cult Simulator recently as well.

New or old. Modern or period. Cheesy and fun or serious and slow-burning. Let me have them! :cenobite:

We were just talking about it a couple of days ago itt but watch A Dark Song. I think itís exactly what your are looking for and you wonít be disappointed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

I wish I was seeing Midsommer instead of Brightburn in a couple of hours

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

What was the name of that Swedish? Movie with the lady security guard that looks like the Geico caveman? I cannot remember for the life of me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Brightburn wasn't as bad as some people have made it out to be, but it was also completely unremarkable. Felt like a decent episode of an anthology TV show and not something that anyone should pay $15 to see in a theater.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Catfishenfuego posted:

Just watched Revenge and it's going on my list of 'Films I really enjoyed but probably wouldn't ever recommend someone else watch unless I really knew their taste'. Beautifully shot and the climax being Totally nude guy with his dick out getting chased comically around in circles, before getting defeated mid-misogynist rant by the heroine fisting his yonic shotgun wound through his prophylactic bandage was so on the nose that I loved it.

My expectations for Revenge were very low because the subject matter is so well worn, but it loving owned. It's really entertaining and stylish as hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

It's good someone relegated this scene to Youtube because no one should watch this whole movie ever. it's like 2 straight hours of rape.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

What is some good non horror, horror stuff to you guys? Like, stuff that doesnít fit the horror mold at all, but still manages to invoke fear, dread etc. and give you the same general vibe you get watching a good horror film.

Iím thinking of stuff like Green Room, The Hunt, HBOs Chernobyl miniseries...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Personally I would definitely call the perfection a horror movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

COOL CORN posted:

The Act Of Killing hands loving down.

It also doubles as some extremely dark comedy. Another genre which it isn't billed as.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

King of Bleh posted:

The Perfection is a lot of insane fun but wow does it shoot itself in the foot with all the expository flashbacks. The big one in the final act even has the gall to include a second, nested flashback.

Agreed. The flashbacks pretty much ruined the movie imo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

I started watching the Possession of Hannah Grace since it is on Prime and loving :lol: the possessed girl's dad is the same guy that plays the dad in the Exorcism of Emily Rose. Anyways it's loving unwatchable and I couldn't make it 20 minutes in but that made me laugh, I guess that is that actor's niche now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Shoulda stuck with it, it's a nice, low key, moody flick.

Hmmm. All right I'll give it a shot then. I was just put off by how generic the exorcism scene at the beginning was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Oh poo poo I meant the dad from The Last Exorcism not Emily Rose. i haven't even seen Emily Rose! haha. Last Exorcism is good though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Shoulda stuck with it, it's a nice, low key, moody flick.

So I went back and watched it and yeah , it was actually pretty enjoyable. I kind of wish it was a little more stylish. It sort of had a network TV vibe to me but the premise was more original than I expected and it had a good pace to it. I feel like the scares could have been a lot better if the movie didn't show so much.

Most of the spooky moments had me armchair directing it. Just a little more subtlety and weirdness could have made it creepy as hell. Small things like when the corpse first moves they show it front and center. Just to cut to the main character with the corpse slightly out of focus, doing nothing. Have it move in the background while it's out of focus! there was a lot of moments like this. Also, the corpse comes in with her head half cut off as well as her torso. And the makeup on that was actually really good! It was unsettling. I was like "oh man, this thing is gonna start walking around with it's head dangling and it's gonna be so hosed up". But instead they just had her crawl around on all fours like every other exorcism movie. :sigh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

I don't even know what a Jaws remake would even have to offer? There's already a million Jaws ripoffs so it would just be another one on the pile. I guess the name would probably sell tickets.

Franchescanado posted:

Except for The Shallows. That's kinda like the stranded boat story from Jaws 2.

The Shallows kicked rear end. Definitely my favorite shark movie since Jaws.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Eli on Netflix is so catastrophically bad it's almost worth the watch just to gawk.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

I thought the Ritual was awesome. Can't really think of any other Netflix horror movies that weren't duds off the top of my head though. I guess Velvet Buzzsaw was ok but it was massively disappointing after Nightcrawler.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Just watched Haunt and it was pretty fun.

I can't get over how pointless the abusive boyfriend character was though. Like, why the gently caress was he even in the movie? That guy, and her whole backstory had no reason whatsoever to be in the movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Is the Scary Stories movie worth checking out at all?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Man, I was warned about it all over but the Scary Stories movie was still alarmingly bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Despite its failings I will still contend Scary Stories is a fantastic intro to horror movie for kids.

I probably would have liked it as a kid.

The whole thing is just so weird. I don't know why they went with this narrative that has nothing to do with the books and let it eat up 75% of the screen time, while ignoring half of the stories. Would have made way more sense as an anthology. I don't know why they geared it at teens so much when it's based on a book for children that is mostly beloved by people in their mid 30's. It's in this weird zone where it's probably too graphic for children, but too dumb for the adults who read it as children.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Someone recommend me something overlooked, bleak and creepy to watch tonight. TIA

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Firing it up now. Thanks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Was just watching Insidious for the first time since back when it came out and it's really close to being good, at least for the first 2/3rds and then just totally ruins itself at the end. The end is seriously like "you know all that spooky stuff in the movie? it's actually not that spooky . Here, take a real good look at it until you forget it's even supposed to be scary" Also making the Demon look exactly like Darth Maul was a huge misfire.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

alf_pogs posted:

i dunno, the first time it shows up on camera is a great dreamlike reveal and its just shockingly weird. it loses that, though, i agree

Yeah his shadow in the bedroom followed by the jump scare with his face was good. Everything after that not so much.

Kvlt! posted:

im 21 i was 12 when insidious came out

I always just assume everyone here is 35 lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Zwabu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgmfV5VLHvs

And Pleasure Island seemed like such a cool place, too!

I forgot about the shadowy faceless minions.

Goddamn, Pinocchio had some good rear end animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Man that creepshow TV show on shudder sucks