Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not sure Lamb actually qualifies as a horror movie, but it's being advertised as one and I don't know where the gently caress else to post about it lol. I really liked it but I'm also not sure wtf I just watched. I am extremely glad I hadn't even seen a trailer for it going in since it completely blows the twist. It still feels like a bunch of nonsense and is maybe the slowest paced movie I have watched in the last 5 years but yet I really liked it.

Levantine posted:

Watched V/H/S/94 last night and I think it was the best of them all. Not that the bar is super high or anything but I genuinely enjoyed every vignette this time around. I think all of them were good which isn't something I can say for the previous films. I really enjoyed How the slow funeral home tape is followed by this balls to the wall, weird Tokyo Gore Police/Doom mashup that left nothing to the imagination. Also, gently caress white supremacists. That was a cathartic ride.. The wraparound was pretty dumb but the rest of the movie was fantastic.

Agreed. None of them are terrible which is pretty much high praise for V/H/S. The Indonesian one was like three times as long as it should have been though, and the last one was super mediocre. Rat Man and the funeral were good.

the bookend skit was terrible, but they always are. That was probably the worst one of all of them. The actual shorts were all ok to good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Vigil is on Hulu and it is dope.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

U start writing this yet?

Hot rod psychobilly, rolling on a mutant bear
human skull face bear motherfucker
high way bear satan rat fink drag race
mutant
BEAAAAARRRRRR yeah
and frogs toooo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Horror movies sure like influencers these days

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Seems like a pretty easy way to have your characters not have to worry about a job or anything so they can get into more spooky situations

Plus everyone resents them so it’s easy to get people cheering for them getting picked off.

And you can pretty much use them for almost any theme by just saying they have a YouTube channel that has compelled them to explore whatever the horror entails.

Also they can have ridiculous means despite being like 20 years old and no one will question it.

I guess it’s basically the perfect setup but Think the last 4 horror movies I watched were about influencers. And none of them were good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually thought Host was pretty good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s so bad

Also yes it appears leatherface farted. That literally happened 1 second after I read your post lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only thing that would have redeemed Tcm 2022 is if the two main girls were killed by the self driving Tesla on the way out of town.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I tried to make a list of everything that baffled me in that movie it would take a while.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The bus driver also peeled out of there and everyone was still just casually lounging around the bus like never moved.

There's barely a single scene in that movie that works. Don't even get me started on whatever confused social commentary it was trying to pull off.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just watched Martyrs for the first time and it was revolting. I think 80% of the entertainment I consume is bleak as poo poo and frequently violent, but Martyrs just kind of had me going "why the gently caress did you even make this?"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven’t seen titane yet but it sounds like it would qualify from what I’ve heard about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ah, all I knew about it was that it was French and was supposed to be kind of gross.

Yeah I can’t think of anything recently then .

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If nothing else it’s pretty original

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got around to seeing Men. loving wild movie. Loved it. Was not expecting that much body horror.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is it streaming already or is it just still chilling out in some theater near you?

You can rent it for $5.99 now

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Up until 2 or 3 days ago you could get it VOD but you had to buy it for $20.

I'll probably just grab it on 4K BR when the price comes down. I always like buying his movies on Blu Ray even though I rarely buy discs anymore.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't want to spoil anything but the end of that movie. holy gently caress.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They/Them was astoundingly bad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hollismason posted:

They/Them is just boring. Like no good kills , no suspense, no gore.

It's just really boring

I was sitting there thinking "how loving long is this movie?" because it felt like I'd been watching it forever and absolutely no slasher stuff has happened. Pause it, and there is only 10 minutes left in the movie and the slasher shows up immediately after the pause, does almost nothing, is immediately revealed/thwarted and the movie ends. Also the reveal was about as lame as it gets. Absolutely nothing that was built up had any payoff or amounted to anything interesting.

I also turned it off during the Pink dance scene and didn't return to finish it for almost 2 weeks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And the worst part is that gay conversion camp nightmare is a drat good concept for a horror film and the idea deserves a much better movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom Hardy's underrated twin

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That Firestarter remake was not good, but the abysmal reviews seem dramatic. Was pretty watchable overall, although the kid really wasn't able to pull off the finale at all so it felt really corny.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

New Hellraiser is entertaining enough but not great. Too long, too much exposition, and the Cenobites mostly come off more as purely malevolent, sadistic torture demons than they do Barker’s notion of beings genuinely and terrifyingly beyond human notions of morality. The first two movies were good but not masterpieces, so it’s not like they set some unattainably high standard of quality for a 2022 reboot. Oh well, could have been much worse at least

Could have been much worse was my takeaway as well. I'd give it a B- or a C+. I'm not super into Hellraiser to begin with though.

I wish the billionare got turned into that dumb CD throwing dude instead of whatever that was at the end lol

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 9, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol deadstream is so good. Thanks to the goon who recommend it a couple of pages ago

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To be fair to the new Hellraiser the idea that pain and pleasure are the same is the dumbest thing ever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Disposable Scud posted:

While Deadstream was dope Bloody Hell reminded me of why I don't really check for horror comedies. Wasn't bored at least.

Horror comedy is the diciest genre because if it fails at being either horror or comedy it's crap.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One of the things I loved about Deadstream was that it riffs on the stupidity of influencer/engagement culture, without any pretensions that it's making some broader statement on society. It never forgets that it's just supposed to be a fun movie and mostly uses the absurdity of modern life as a setup for fun gags. It also really helped that the main guy had excellent comedic timing. Also, even if most of it's cliche stuff, it never forgets to be a horror movie and has some good creepy moments.

Some standout laughs to me where the main character absolutely refusing to swear, even while being physically attacked and hunted by ghosts because he doesn't want to get demonetized "again". Him watching ritual instructions at 2x podcast speed and switching windows between that and a zombie. Him naming literally every camera. The chat in general, but I lolled so hard at "did anyone see the feet going up into the ceiling?!" literally 15 minutes after it happened. Also, the video advice from children and "this one is for the blacks and Mexicans"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The main characters in Speak No Evil might be the stupidest movie characters ever. Like, B movie characters would just be shaking their heads at them.

Tbh it made the whole movie feel dumb as hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Called the twist in bodies bodies bodies the second the first kill happened, to almost a perfectly accurate degree, mostly thanks to promo stuff constantly pointing out there was a crazy twist.

Still a pretty fun movie regardless.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don't get me wrong V/H/S has always been stupid, but the first one was kind of edgy stupid in this way that was sort of? interesting I guess. The new one felt like it was funded by giving each director a $100 gift card to Halloween superstore. The first segment has a part where there is supposed to be human torso and they put a bloody shirt over some white styrofoam and the styrofoam is just blatantly popping out. Like that would even be questionable in a haunted house ride, but a movie...

The only good one was the Nickelodeon half of the dungeon game segment. And even with that one, the last 2/3rds were tedious and basically ruined it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bump Deadstream up to number 1

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also just watched barbarian and liked it, but I felt like a lot of the stuff that goes on is just unexpected for the sake of being unexpected and felt extraneous.

It was fun though and it certainly…wasn’t what I was expecting, so mission accomplished I guess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In regards to Barbarian, I feel conflicted between how it's overall just an enjoyable movie, and wondering what the point was of a lot of stuff in it.

One one hand it was really entertaining. Liked the cast, it was shot well for the most part. There was a couple of really cool ideas in there that didn't really get the attention they deserved. I loved how she drove up to the air BnB in the dark and in the morning, it turned out to be a lone, nice little house in the middle of total urban decay. But they didn't really do much with it. Very cool reveal though. Even if it was implausible I liked the concept.

The way it was presented is fun, but idg why most of the events even matter to the story which is a pretty basic freak locked in a secret room tale. You have the initial red herring, which is that you think the movie is going to be about how Bill Skarsgård is secretly a psycho or something. But he's not. He's just some guy. They have crazy coincidental stuff in common, it's just a coincidence. She catches him having night terrors, I guess that's just something he deals with. She does all this weird poo poo like rummaging through his stuff and taking pics of his ID. None of it matters, because he really doesn't exist in the story in any meaningful way other than to eventually get his head smashed.

Then the movie takes a left turn to Justin Long. We get all this setup about how he's some hollywood creep that got me too'ed. Really didn't seem to matter for any reason other than to set him up as a prick so no one cared when he died. Like Bill Skarsgård, he could have just been random that walked into the story and it wouldn't have changed anything.

Then we get a flashback to the serial killer guy planning his abduction. I could have figured out any information in this flashback from the scene near the end where Justin Long finds him in bed. Seemed totally unnecessary.

Tbh very little that happens plays together in a way that feels like it needed to be in the movie at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rental Sting posted:

Counterpoint: Narrative misdirection can be fun and cool. When it's used well, as in the case of Barbarian, the device can enhance the film viewer's experience. Not every character detail or incident has to be woven into the plot or be critical to the denouement.

That's where I'm conflicted. I don't know if I feel it was used well. You could argue it's used well in the sense that it's entertaining to watch, but at the same time it felt pretty meaningless to me. I'd say good narrative misdirection is setting up something the audience expects to see and turning it on it's head. Not setting up a bunch of plot points that go nowhere or add almost nothing to the overall story. I think lot of it just felt random and could have been replaced by anything. There's not a single moment I can think of where the movie makes clever use of it's misdirection.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really can't help but wonder what the process was that landed on the protagonist being the way she was in Dashcam.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watched Sissy on Shudder and I think this is third horror movie in a row that made me roll my eyes because it was about social media/influencers and then I actually ended up really liking it. The scene at the end lmfao

Don't get me wrong it was no Deadstream but it was still solid with some pretty great practical effects and some fun twists.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

davidspackage posted:

Okay, fair, I uh did forget about that part from the opening, that goes some way to explain his reasoning.

Yeah I definitely did not get the impression that he was coded to be neglectful. I think he was just meant to be a lovable oaf that you hate to see sacrificed.

Just finished the murmuring and in some ways it was probably the best episode, but it also felt out of place. it was just too classy and not scary for a horror anthology but it got me in the feels and was beautiful to look at and the cast was way better than anything else in the show. Felt like it should have just been it's own movie or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing about The Outside that annoyed me so much was that they went through so much work to make a loving recreation of the late 70s/early 80s(?) and for some reason they inexplicably have a LCD TV from like 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

I feel like he was written to be quite a bad communicator and listener - his reassurances that she is beautiful feel much more like appeasement rather than genuine consideration of her crisis. she is secondary to his goal of maintaining the status quo; his ultimate contribution is to essentially keep telling her "this problem isn't real".

in that regard he is quite familiar as a face of probably unconscious misogyny. I feel like the 70s/80s vibes really contributed to this interpretation as well, LCD tv notwithstanding

I don’t think that’s true at all. The only thing he didn’t do was actively support her melting her own skin off. He clearly didn’t know how to deal with it and pleaded with her to go to a doctor. He didn’t just dismiss it as nothing.

I don’t think his character was meant to represent misogyny at all.