Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

chitoryu12 posted:

It's something to be taken in context with other evidence, like if you see someone wearing a Thor's Hammer necklace and find out that they're actually just Norwegian.

FYI even in Norway 9/10 times that means they're a Nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

The stream last night was great. Watching Suspiria (the original) by the fireplace now. Good Christmas spirit.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Watched The Ritual, the first 3/4 are a perfect update of The Blair Witch Project for late 20's/early 30's millennials. The last fourth is real good monster/lovecrsftisn stuff, but ultimately not necessary, and maybe even harmful to the prior tone of the movie. It feels like something they had to add to appease modern audiences, but they did the very best of it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

The Guest

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II are legitimately good horror movies.

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth and Hellraiser IV: Bloodline are amusing schlock, worth it for the fans.

The rest of the movies are absolute garbage and a waste of time.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Doctor Faustine posted:

Am I missing something with Hellraiser? I thought it was really boring, and Iím the type of person who gets a little wet for slowburn horror that most people consider boring.

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I like the Lovecraftian implications of the cenobites in the first two movies. The leather-culture/BDSM connotations of the villains are interesting too, and reflects Clive Barkers complicated relationship to sexuality (I'd love a queer analysis comparing Hellraiser to Nightbreed).

The first movie has some really good performances, but it can never quite decide whether the Frank plot or the cenobite plot is the B plot. Both are solid concepts for a horror movie though so I am not too bothered. The second movie doubles down on the cenobites as the main appeal, but it's messier and the performances are not quite as good.

But yeah, if you don't find the hell-dimension / cenobite stuff interesting I can see there not being enough there to hold someones attention.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 13, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Having Pinhead deliver quips as he is murdering kids and razing churches is actually a good thing for a franchise to start doing in its third film, and the series becomes unwatchable after the fourth partly because they stop doing that and ineptly try making serious movies about bdsm monsters.

Friday the 13 similarly becomes more darkly comedic later in the series, and I think that's a good move if you're gonna turn your monster movie into a franchise. The novelty is long gone at that point.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

SMP posted:

I'm a bad horror fan because the only castration scene I can think of is In the Realm of Senses. Please recommend me some great castration scenes.

NSFW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSPzsV2YN6Q

thotsky fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 16, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bluedeanie posted:

Shaun and Hot Fuzz own. World's End does not own, however.

I have not worked out the dates, but the possibility that the movie served as an elaborate intervention by Wright for his Alcoholic buddy Pegg intrigues me.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Aliens
From Beyond
The Fly

The Hitcher
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Critters

Chopping Mall
Class of Nuke 'Em High
Trick or Treat

thotsky fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 11, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 :colbert:

Really? Is that not a bit like saying Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bill not living up to some standards set by the medical community and being denied treatment hardly disqualifies them from being trans though; I mean, does not that stuff happen a lot to trans people in this world? You're taking Hannibal at his word, because the audience is being keyed to view him as an authority figure, but he's a deranged homicidal cannibal, lest we forget.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 17, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Yeah, I'd lean towards the theory that Bill just hates women and the interest in transitioning is mostly a useful excuse so Bill can justify kidnapping, torturing and killing them, but I don't think there's anything in the movie that we can say really decides whether or not Bill is trans one way or another. Reading Bill as not trans might go some way to "redeem" the movie as far as portrayal of trans people, but I don't think it's necessarily unproblematic to deny that Bill is trans since the character seemingly identifies as such.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 17, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Hollismason posted:

The book an the movie make clear that Billy repeatedly tried different identities in order to del with the disassociation and dysphoria that was caused by childhood abuse. Some outside force enacted itself on Billy which caused these associations. People who are transgender are born trans there's not a outside force that causes it.

You may be born trans, but that's not the same as knowing you are trans from birth, or even having the vocabulary or opportunity to express that part of yourself. People "come out" as trans at all ages, how does one account for that? And who is to say they've not experimented with various identities, ways of presenting or coping mechanisms in the time leading up to them being able to do so?

Hollismason posted:

I hope that clarifies why he specifically is not transgender. He has multiple mental illnesses caused by trauma. In away he has such strong disassociation and dysphoria ( really a type of disassociation) that he as a way of coping obsessively tries to adopt identities.

That's Hannibals interpretation. It's tempting to take everything he says as fact because he is so charismatic, but I don't think he's an impartial or infallible party in this case. Even if believe that that these are simply the professional opinions on a possibly trans person made by a psychiatrist, that's not very reassuring, then or now.

I think one can read it either way. Trans people (or anyone) have good reason to be upset with the film, and one cannot just explain that away as long as the villain wants to transition.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 17, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Fart City posted:

Expand because this is a fascinating concept.

E-la-bo-rate.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

I'd be totally cool with a new actor playing Pinhead as long as it is not some chubby nerd who makes it look like cosplay. Get Hugo Weaving to do it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Kvlt! posted:

Not slimy enough is a complaint I have a lot

Learn foreplay.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bluedeanie posted:

Oh yeah lungs go over your ribs I forgot

Have their ribs forced apart like a maw, with the pulsating lung-breasts inside. Nobody custom text me that.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Generally, if you've heard a story about the origins of a beer style you can be 99% sure that it is absolute bullshit.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

For all the cool Lovecraftian stuff in Hellraiser 2, it's sort of where they lay the groundwork for the Cenobites being demons from Hell. Pinhead saying cool stuff like "your suffering will be legendary, even in Hell!" is one thing; worse is his explanation that the protagonist and her father are in their own personal hells and Frank explaining how he is being "punished" by being denied any stimulus. Like, the labyrinth should be full of people experiencing the extremes of sensation. There is one scene where the doctor comes across something like that, so it is not all bad.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Jedit posted:

I don't know, I thought that was laid when they called the first movie Hellraiser. As in, one who raises Hell.

Nah, the Cenobites spell out their raison d'etre in the first movie and it's sort of ambiguous. Like, they don't mind using human allegory, but they're not there to punish any sort of transgression, just facilitate a new kind of existence that for most, but perhaps not all, would be horrible.

The Hellraiser name is just Hollywood marketing bs, and the Satanist angle explored in the second and especially third movie is just a way to dumb down the concept and make it more relatable to most people.

Origami Dali posted:

The idea of them being from Hell isn't a confirmation of some Heaven/Hell Christian distinction, but rather us being shown that what we've been calling Hell and how we thought we understood it was very different from the reality. It's the same as the hedonists in the novel/first two films thinking they understood the concept of pleasure until the Cenobites showed up.

That explanation sort of works for the second movie, but breaks down in subsequent ones, I feel. It also sort of ignores that in the first movie the Cenobites claim that some people are apparently happy with going to their dimension and the experiences they will find there. If what we consider Hell is actually the labyrinth, but it's not a Christian Hell then why is Pinhead leaning into the church desecration in the third movie?

I think it's more interesting (and scary) when the puzzle box is not some trick to punish the morally repugnant, but just some Lovecraftian artifact that summons being who care little for our human sensibilities.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

I never read it, but I remember Abarat being pushed really hard, possibly even being considered culturally relevant.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

K. Waste posted:

RE Korean horror, Bunshinsaba (2004) is on YT and is so drat good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvrwXIPsxc

Thanks, it was alright. The first half is paced like a bullet train, but the latter half was real slow. Also:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

What famous person's height (in cm) most closely match those three crazy digits on the back of your credit card?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

I think I mostly heard of it on Loveline, but he sounded really excited with doing stuff for kids, and rising above the horror guy image with his paintings and stuff.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 27, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

I like Hellraiser 3 more than 2. Yeah, it's hammy, but so is a lot of the second one as well, especially anything with the doctor cenobite. The first movie is the only Hellraiser movie that nails the tone, but at least the third one is a lot of fun, where as the second is confusing and weirdly paced.

Nightbreed is awesome for two reasons; the first is the sense of real potential behind it. I think it definitely could have been a new Star Wars, or rather something akin to Harry Potter, if they had made some different decisions and had the resources to fulfill the vision. At least there is something there that makes me feel like there was a non-zero chance of something like that happening. The second is Cronenberg as the villain; he is really good, and the role seems kind of made for him.

I think the LGBT/racism angle might play better today (if you stripped out the kink bits) to a woke audience, not that I am arguing for a remake.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Basebf555 posted:

Everyone mark down that Biomute has used their official horror thread allowance of 1 terrible opinion. Thank you for your attention.

Apparently I already spent that on not liking feta cheese.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

The John Wick movies are incredible in part because it is so refreshing to see movies made by people who actually enjoy making movies and this movie in particular.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

What do they mean, once every 90 years, we do this every year.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Anime is bad and nobody should watch it, but Ghost Hound might be interesting for people who liked Stranger Things.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: like Hellsing is one of the very few genre works that makes a point of Nazi ideology being based on literally nothing but a love of perpetual violence, with everything else just serving as a convenient excuse, that's pretty loving impressive for an anime

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Hellsing Ultimate is very much aimed at horny teenage boys, but LORD OF BOOTY isn't kidding re: how much it dunks on nazis

I mean, yeah sure, it does that, but it also implies that having a strong ideology, even if it is bonkers and ends up getting you killed, is really cool. The show itself never criticizes the Nazis for being monsters, it just shows them monstering it up and enjoying it, until they're killed off by one of the other murderous and fanatical factions who hate them. One of the most popular scenes from the series, which is clipped all over youtube, is of faux-Hitler giving an impassioned speech about how much he loves war and murder. People like that because they think it's edgy-cool and darkly-humorous, it's not an exposť. Make no mistake, the show goes out of its way to make the Nazis look cool while they're chomping on babies or whatever; it's not an anti-fascist piece of work.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 9, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like, the Major's war speech is all about how fascism is a completely empty ideology that's purely an excuse for endless violence... and how he loving loves it for that

Yeah, and the shows does nothing to frame that as a bad thing. Yeah, it's obvious that he is crazy, but so is Alucard, the Priest, the entire Vatican, and most of Hellsing. It's established in the show that most of the actors are fatalistic, fanatic and extremely violent. It's a bloodbath, and the Nazis are just another faction, they are only special in that they start the fight; everyone were clearly itching for it. Violence for the sake of violence is a perfectly valid ideology in this universe.

The show gives the Major everything he asks for. He basically wins in the end. It never really shows him to be anything but cool and self-realized apart from making fun of him for being short and fat. You all as viewers are saying that "violence is a hollow ideology", but the shows does not think so; the Major dies smiling.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 9, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Okay, now I see what you missed.

There actually is a pretty big contrast between the Nazis and everyone else in this regard. Everyone else has a legitimate reason of some sort to fight; Integra wants to protect the world from the supernatural, Alucard believes in her mission wholeheartedly, Anderson is devoted to the integrity and authority of the Vatican. Even Pip Bernadotte is loyal to money, and eventually to Seras (and, in turn, the desire to avenge his death is what turns Seras from ineffectual and aimless to a heroic slaughter machine). The heroes all have some sort of goal to achieve or some sort of better world they want to make, and it's for that reason that they commit violence; by comparison, the Nazis just commit violence to make more violence happen.

Like, sure, the show doesn't come out and outright say that one of these is worse than the other, but... I kinda feel like that's mostly because outright direct political soapboxing is kinda outside the series' lane. The political stuff that is there, really feels like it's mostly Hirano's own personal views sneaking into a story he really didn't intend to express them in, and... it seems like he's someone who basically Gets It, because his portrayal of Nazis is pretty loving unkind and pretty on-point with regards to how.

Nah, I think you're the one who does not get it. They're all the same, the other factions just go to the trouble of trying to justify their bloodlust and fatalism, until that too finally falls away. They all have arcs where this is shown to be folly:

Bernadotte realizes that him and his crew, who are willing to kill and be killed over petty change, were really only in it for the thrill anyway, so why not throw away your life for a pretty lady instead? Anderson ends up betraying his faith and becoming one of the monsters he's ostensibly on this earth to kill, because he just wants to win (kill) that much. Integra, the supposed Hero, is just another death-dealer; she's driven by revenge and pride, willing to sacrifice anything and anyone, and her pretensions of saintly knighthood are scoured away by Alucard who requires her explicit orders for his atrocities. Seras herself is a prime example of this being the prevailing theme of the series, her transformation into a murderous beast relieving the tension of her not fitting into this universe. Alucard is not just prompting her to drink more blood or whatever, but to adopt the same bleak and bloody outlook everyone else in the series has.

The author chose to put Vampire Nazis in his book because he thought they were really cool villains. They've got an "edgy" history and their uniforms look good. I think they even comment on that in the fiction itself, that Nazis are the "ultimate bad guys of history" or something. They happen to be the faction that embraces the outlook of the series itself from the start, that violence and war is cool and fun. Which is alright, I play shooters and stuff, whatever floats your boat, but the series is not "hard on Nazis". They're never really shown to be wrong, they're mostly competent and having a grand old time, and all the good guys are effectively as morally corrupt as they are.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 10, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

There's a good few horror movies that have won Oscar's and stuff, but I guess you need a combination of critical acclaim, pop-culture relevance and film geek wankery to be Real (Art) Movie.

So, The Shining?

Horror is no more looked down upon than any other non-drama genre.

And people tie themselves in knots arguing that Ghostbusters is the perfect movie or wank off to Wes Anderson or French surrealism so don't get me started on comedy.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

I want to watch some Horror movies with my girlfriend this October, but she's not that into movies, and especially weak to horror movies. She likes Alien for some reason, but I need some horror movies that are neither gory nor particularly scary, yet good. Halloween theme might be nice too. Any suggestions? I was thinking Trick'r'Treat and Black Christmas but it's been a while since I saw either of those...

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

We watched Ready or Not. I loved it, she was not happy about the gore.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Man, I love Black Christmas. That ending is so effective. Thank you Scream Stream for introducing me to it last year.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

dracula untold was a really good horror movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyBzJw0z2yg

I kept seeing thumbnails for this and laughing at it but clicked in a fit of pique - you have to take my word for it that this thing is good. Genuinely freaky with a bizarre "hype youtube content creator" vibe. It's like a lost V/H/S segment.

dude, this place is trash bro

lol why does he drop his watch