Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

weekly font posted:

Just checking in to say that hospital scene in Exorcist III is so loving good. I knew what was coming and I was still completely on edge.

The head scissor scene? My favourite part of that movie will always be Brad Dourif's "Don't you know you're in the presence of an artist!" speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Did anyone else feel that Mandy kind of lost steam after she got set on fire. Instead of following her journey into some intense psychological horror, we instead just got this extended power fantasy with Cage running around with plot armour. That said Ned Dennehy has such dreamy eyes :allears:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

I'm wondering if anyone here can help me out with some recommendations for movies where the clergy basically has its rear end kicked by some Satanic or otherwise paranormal force. I'm thinking about the scene in Amityville Horror where the entity basically walks into a church and beats up a priest, or even The Fog where it turns out that the local church is hiding something and is actively targeted by the ghosts.

It's a weird one, I know, but indulge me. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

There's some nice priest abuse in Exorcist, Exorcist III, and I think I remember a priest being killed in Prince of Darkness?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I was being very dismissive and judgmental, but it turns out anime titties Pinhead is everything I've ever wanted

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

At the risk of sounding stupid, Boyz n the Hood?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Gay Horney posted:

Favorite movies with a creepy and charismatic devil/Satan figure? Along the lines of the Prophecy or Constantine or even Dogma?

David Warner in Time Bandits. I love that he's a sub-Giger, middle management version of Satan, whose idea of supreme evil is digital watches and microwave ovens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEenKy1S4S0

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I just finished watching The Lighthouse and I loved it. From first glance I'd definitely say it's horror, it's just more of a classic Gothic Horror than anything else. You could do Goth bingo with the imagery and themes. An ominous, and desolate location. Jagged rocks. Spiral staircases that descend from light to darkness. Burials. Storms. Curses, and bad luck. Descents into madness, emotional distress, and nightmares. Supernatural creatures. The protagonist is even an anti-hero with a mysterious past. As a result it probably isn't scary, but I don't think that was the point. It's supposed to be rich, and atmospheric. It's supposed to ooze around you like a thick mist, envelope you, and give your nerve endings a tingle. It's all about feeeeeeelings

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

Eraserhead is a movie I can totally appreciate but also never want to watch again because it wasn't any fun.

You say that, but it easily has the most entertaining scene of a grandma mixing salad that has ever been committed to film

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Untrustable posted:

The Lighthouse unsettled me greatly. I found it bleakly funny but at the same time I could straight up feel the frustration of Pattinson pushing that wheelbarrow. I had a weird panicky moment during the scene at the end where he touches the light and it's just that long, drawn out distorted screaming and my home theater is so good so the screaming was everywhere and hyper loud and my brain was like, "you gotta get out of here!" and then it was over and I realized that the movie is really about two guys who don't want to admit they're gay so they live in seclusion and pretend that a boat will one day come for them. The boat is a metaphor for the acceptance of their feelings. Then the movie ended.

I like that interpretation. Maybe there's an alternative universe where they smooch and it turns into San Junipero.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This interpretation fits in surprsingly well with the scenes of masterbation to the mermaid statue. Patterson's ideal woman is one who does not exist from the waist down, for he is in reality not attracted to women at all. The fantasies about mermaids thus allow him to maintain his illusions of heterosexuality. However, in time this illusion is shattered (symbolized by the breaking of the statue) and he is forced to confront the reality of a mermaid vagina and the lack of arousal it brings him.

And the image of Dafoe's character naked, with those piercing lighthouse eyes that see right through Pattinson as he squirms in agony

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

teagone posted:

I watched Ready or Not last night, and I'm not sure what I was expecting to be honest, but I really liked it. I remember seeing the trailer a while back, and thought the movie was gonna play up the dark comedy bits way more, and while they were there at times, they kinda/sorta felt out of place as the general tone often came off as more serious; it never really felt like a natural mixup of the genres, like say, Shaun of the Dead. Still though, the ending was hilariously cathartic and overall I was super entertained. Though from the marketing I was expecting to see Samara Weaving use that nitro express elephant gun to blast some fools, and it turning out to be a display-only model bummed me out hard lol.

Yeah I think there are three parts of the film where she could have shot someone, but whoops wrong ammo/no ammo. I was worried that they were going to keep her as a virginal damsel until the end, so it was definitely very cathartic when she gave Andie MacDowell a facelift with the Lament Configuration. That and the exploding relatives.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

The Shadow Over Innsmouth could be a highish budget creature feature. It's one of the more adaptable Lovecraft stories and has a pretty decent mystery/reveal. Lots of fishmen and even a Shoggoth name-drop that could be expanded into a scene in a film. I know we got Stuart Gordon's take on it, and I do like that movie, but it's far from his best work. Actually I should probably rewatch that, it's been a long time.

It's definitely worth a rewatch for the squid lady and the old man having his face ripped off

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

the thing i found most distressing / nightmarish was when the mum and the boy get fused together, nobody really talks to the boy or worries about him. it's entirely focused on the mum, despite them both obviously being utterly hosed.

Absolutely. Usually things in horror don't affect me at all, but the attic scene with the mother/child being in obvious distress really got to me. The imagery of hospice care, disease, dying loved ones, helpless relatives at the bedside, mixed with those The Thing-like effects of twisted flesh... It was really powerful.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I watched The Greasy Strangler yesterday, and I went into it not knowing anything other than the fact that it was being talked about in this thread.

Whilst watching it I loved it, but afterwards I started to really turn against it. Just coincidentally I rewatched Pink Flamingos yesterday, and PF just feels like if you were to earnestly go out to be gross, crass, and funny. Whereas The Greasy Strangler feels like it really pulls its punches. It feels like if Tim and Eric remade Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer with a soft R rating. Even then it doesn't feel like an incisive genre parody, it feels a lot closer to just a straight gross out comedy, but then most of the humour seems come from a disdainful look at the living conditions of working people, and the end just seems really misogynistic.

I still think it's good, I enjoyed myself. I just feel like it's missing something. It needs more grease

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Spiders have their penises (pedipalps) on their faces

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

An R rated Spider-Man movie where whenever he punches someone it's like a brown recluse's venom and that part of the punchee's body starts to go full necrotic in like 45 seconds.

The sequel needs to be Spider-Man vs The Fly

e: When venom and vomit collide

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 28, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Yarbald posted:

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen it, but I thought Feast was a lot of fun. Incredibly mean-spirited, but fun.

Ditto. I thought it was pretty inventive that they killed off the stock hero character two seconds after introducing him

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Ehud posted:

I’m gonna go see it tomorrow. I’m a little concerned it’s a January horror dump because the review embargo is taking us to the final hour. But Oz Perkins hasn’t led us astray yet!

I just finished Marianne and I really like their portrayal of the witch. It got me thinking - what are some of the best witch movies/shows? I want to go on a witch binge.

Neon Demon! It's not really scary, but it's beautiful, and haunting

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I thought there was a very Lynchian quality to some of the scenes in Baskin. They contrasted really well with the ugly grittiness of the rest of the film.

Agreed. The dreamlike diner scenes were especially cool. I kind of wish it didn't end the way it did though, with the spooky infinite time loop thing

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'm still thinking about The Greasy Strangler, and specifically the scene in which Robbie and Brayden murder Janet in a cinema, and then eat her eyes. The location really seems like an obvious hint that she is a proxy for the audience, and that consuming her eyes is the filmmakers consuming our attention. Is she an audience surrogate throughout the entire film, though?

The majority of the film revolves around Robbie and Brayden attempting to seduce Janet (the audience), and hold her affection. Brayden attempts this by being open, kind, and loving, but ultimately boring. Robbie on the other hand is awful at every level, he's a selfish, lying, greased-up serial killer, but he's interesting! Robbie is a smoothie when it comes to gaining Janet and the audience's attention. It is then only when Brayden decides to investigate the murders, and ultimately kill Robbie, that Janet returns to him. He becomes interesting only by embracing the negative qualities of his father, and ultimately by becoming another greasy strangler.

After murdering Janet the father and son reconcile, and say something to the effect of "Janet was gross". Is the whole film then just a meditation on all of the awful poo poo you have to do to get the audience's attention, and the sense of hollowness that comes from appeasing "gross" people?

Lurdiak posted:

Well according to the director the movie is about these characters being in hell so that ending makes sense in that context.

I definitely get that. It makes sense. I just wish it was different, it didn't feel completely satisfying, you know? But it's not a deal breaker for me

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 31, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

There's an argument for not showing the monster, but imagine John Carpenter's The Thing without the mass of dog alien weirdness writhing around in the kennel. Sometimes the monster is too cool to stay hidden

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 3, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'm trying to remember a 70s/80s Spanish or Italian horror film. All I can remember is that towards the end of the film there's an old broken down house, and a guy investigating a murder. There's also a scene of the main character talking to an old man, and nearby there's a little kid who kills a small animal I think, and it's implied that the kid plays at the old broken down house.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Adding that to the watch list, that looks fantastic

Neo Rasa posted:

This is Deep Red.

Oh right. I was really going to recommend Deep Red to someone who doesn't like Deep Red. For some reason my brain separated it in two films, a cool one about an old house and a lame one about the little red headed kid.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Hammer Horror TV Anthology is the real gem of unseen horror anthologies.

Agreed. I really love the Amicus horror anthologies, they're great if you like dumb, campy stories told on a shoestring budget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWUMlQBHHpg

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Btw for those of you who haven’t seen it, which is probably most people cause it’s been kind of a hassle to find, The Tenant is streaming on prime now. The third of Polanski’s “apartment trilogy” of horror movies and every bit as good as repulsion and rosemary

Just watched this. I really enjoyed it, but the third act seemed a little weak. They did a good job up until that point of demonstrating that the main character was an unreliable narrator, but also maintaining a sense of threat, and I think that balance was thrown out of the window in the car accident scene. I really love how moody and paranoid the film feels though, and the one practical effect as he moves towards the window was excellent. It sort of reminds me of Pi

The ending also reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SqHtWudI24

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The only film which really scared me as a kid was The Lady in White, and it actually holds up pretty well today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAgGmUAk2X0

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Which is a shame, because spiders are awesome

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Society could do with a remake. You could do a ton of cool body horror stuff with that concept, but the direction of the original feels like an r-rated episode of Goosebumps

e: I probably do mean AYAotD
vvvvvvvvvvv

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 11, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

That's maybe why I was a little disappointed. I was sold it as a milestone in body horror and intense social commentary, and then for the first hour it was just kind of twee and inoffensive. I'll have to revisit it

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I haven't! I'll have to give it a watch.

For some reason I was allowed to watch Naked Lunch when I was about 7 or 8, and I think that's heavily skewed my taste in media. I have this typewriter-cockroach shaped hole in my psyche that I keep trying to fill. So the weirder the better really

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

M_Sinistrari posted:

Only reason I'd be iffy on a remake of Society is I feel the practical effects really added to the body horror and a remake now would likely end up CGI in full or an overlay like they did with The Thing prequel.

If the people who did The Void remade it I'd be in love, though hopefully with a better script than what The Void had

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Thanks for recommending The People Under the Stairs! Just finished watching it, and my first thoughts are just that it was extremely fun. I especially liked Wendy Robie chewing the scenery, the only other thing I've seen her in is Twin Peaks and she apparently has a talent for playing severely unhinged characters

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

It's just a shame that Morrissey is a huge oval office

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Pomp posted:

Troma movie where an old guy gets so many STDs that his dick starts blasting acid and at the end be blasts his own face off

They did exactly this on Troma's Edge TV, except the punchline was that the guy's doctor had burns all over his face

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Would Man Bites Dog fit on the list?

https://youtu.be/SwRxZlTGbjU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

Man Bites Dog is so weird, because its a fascinating and great movie right up till the ending that is so hilariously 90s post-Quentin Tarantino gangster movie explosion

That ending has confused me for a long time. The final image of the poem, and the crew being murdered is a nice touch I think, but the preamble where they try to make Ben sympathetic by killing his family/girlfriend really falls flat. We just watched this man gang rape a lady in front of her husband before disembowlling her, and now we're supposed to care about his wellbeing?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I've only seen one Freddy movie, and one Jason movie, and they're both Freddy Vs Jason. So don't worry, there's always someone even more shameful out there.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus it's always great to spend some time getting your holes filled.

:hmmyes:

e: Ravenous is worth watching for the soundtrack alone imo

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Scream was released when I was about 10, and I definitely internalized a lot of the Freddy/Jason backlash that was prevalent during that time. I should really give them a chance.

I remember being very pleasantly surprised by The Slumber Party Massacre franchise, so who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

SPM owns because it was written and directed by women and is feminist as hell

Hell yeah! I couldn't tell you who the killer was in the first film, beyond "creepy guy with a huge drill", but I can vividly remember the movie stomping all over the Bechdel test

e: what tonedef131 said

e: And holy poo poo, the director went on to write Beethoven (1992)

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 19, 2020