Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just watched Rings and my main takeaway was "wait holy poo poo that was Leonard from Big Bang Theory I was watching"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

This is just barely horror I think, but I watched Anna and the Apocalypse; I quite liked it. The zombie stuff is the usual fare but the songs were quite catchy, which is the important thing for me in a musical. My main complaint is that the number of songs slowed to a trickle a little past the midpoint of the film, but fortunately they started singing again towards the end.

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 30, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Not available in my location but here's another:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5lCpB_RLaM

How fuckin old are we that Aubrey Plaza has to play the mom now instead of the monster in a horror film

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

You're the second person today that I've heard not like it, but I had a blast with it :shobon:

It expands on the first one by having a series of entertaining deaths, restarted loops, etc. while also introducing some fun time fuckery improperly controlled by a group of dumbass college kids.

I don't know what you were expecting from it, because what I expected was more of the first one with a twist and I got that from it!

Just came from seeing it and at this point it probably doesn't qualify to be in this thread anymore, but I don't think there's a better one. I quite enjoyed it, but it's certainly not a horror film and definitely a sci fi comedy now. Once I got past the trailer lying to me (the trailer makes it look like it's about a new killer and the whole gang is in the loop but it's Tree repeating the loop from the first movie, but in an altered timeline) and the contrived plot device that got her into that situation, it was almost as fun as the first. Midcredits scene was fun and I want a sequel following up on it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I liked Us, but I think it could have done without the whole explanation at the end of what was happening. Why not just make it some unexplained Silent Hill dual world poo poo? A government cloning facility was... uh... pretty out of nowhere. I also ruined part of the final act for myself by looking up the Bible verse they kept namedropping when I went to the restroom, so uh, don't do that.

Also, something minor that bothered me in retrospect was (mega spoiler) if the woman we were following was the tethered Lupita, it didn't really make a lot of sense for original Lupita to explain anything to her. She would know!

All things considered though, I liked it. It had this weird Twilight Zone feel where it wasn't necessarily scary but played with a lot of weird ideas. I'm looking forward to the show.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

a few very spoilery thoughts about Us

2. I am having trouble finding a deeper meaning to Us that was found in Get Out. Are the holding hands supposed to represent that the underclass will be peaceful after violent overthrow of the upper class? That seems too simple and on the nose for Peele. Maybe its about our subconscious warring with our conscious? Not sure.

I think Peele said somewhere that for this film, he was leaning more towards making a horror story than doing social commentary a la Get Out, so I didn't even try to assign meaning to what was happening and more or less just took it at face value.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

They're not soulless; they share a soul with the original, but they're all mad from living down there. He put the dad in a trash bag because the tethered are all unique and not robots that are programmed to behave in a specific or consistent way. They did have a plan involving everyone taking largely the same actions but nobody was compelled to follow it. Not to mention that real-Adelaide, being the originator of the plan and the leader, wanted to torture fake-Adelaide and probably her family by extension.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Watched Savageland and it's pretty fun. I think I like this format; are there any other horror films in the form of people trying to piece together what happened, while never actually coming across the horrors themselves? No straight-up found footage please, unless it's particularly clever.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Thanks for the recs, I'll scope those out; keep em coming if you got em. On my part, I think the closest thing I've seen to Savageland is Ghostwatch, which just straddles the line between normal horror and the kind I want to see more of.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

gey muckle mowser posted:

Butterfly Kisses is like that. Found footage but it’s like a documentary about a guy trying to make a film about some creepy footage he found. More about the character than the horror part.

e: don’t want to spoil it but the creepy/supernatural stuff doesn’t happen to the documentary crew, they sort of observe it third-hand

I just watched this on your rec and I really liked it, more than Savageland actually. Of course, it shares plenty of redundancies with Marble Hornets on Youtube, but if you like that kind of horror this is more of that. I think this meta-documentary style framing device really works much better for found footage horror than just straight up found footage, because the additional layer of skepticism and explicit calling out of horror tropes by interviewees actually works in the film's favor rather than making it seem too wink-winky. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more films in this format in the future.

I did laugh at the cameo of the director of The Blair Witch Project playing himself.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Anyone know if Shudder works over VPN? (I'm using Nord) After a lot of browsing, I think it's safe to say I've exhausted Netflix's catalog of English language supernatural horror films in both America and my region, so I need to find other ways to get my fix.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Huh, I didn't know Netflix made a sequel to The Babysitter. Guess I know what I'm watching tonight!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Argue posted:

Huh, I didn't know Netflix made a sequel to The Babysitter. Guess I know what I'm watching tonight!

Just finished! I enjoyed it, but it did have some weirdness that was a bit awkward for me. I don't remember how the first film was shot but I don't recall it being so... I don't have the word for it, but it has moments reminiscent to me of Scott Pilgrim or Detention--both movies that I like but which I don't really remember as being tonally in line with the previous film; in this one those parts just made me cringe.

That said, it was a lot of fun; it had goofy deaths and a surprising amount of heart, which is enough for me to really enjoy most films.

I saw one plot point coming, but I was way off on another. I thought that the new girl was the final girl from her own run in with the cult (or possibly even a completely different horror story) in an offscreen adventure, but that part did play out more typically than I expected.

Argue fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 10, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Benito Cereno posted:

Oh poo poo, new Christopher Landon joint is a horror comedy Freaky Friday

https://youtu.be/EHRC4VkiQcI

Oh my god I'm digging how they keep merging teen screams into other well-trod genres of film. What other scenarios are there that haven't been combined with slasher films yet?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

BisonDollah posted:

Am I the only one that hated The Babysitter 2? I thought the first one was fun but just could not stand this, the tone was just all over the place. Pop culture references are not character development or a fast track to enjoyable dialogue. King Bach's lines in particular stunk.

While I liked it, I did notice what you were saying too, so I rewatched a bit of the first one yesterday to double check if it also had that vibe, and I realized that it was very much like that too. I don't think the problem is that, but just that it had so many jokes that didn't land, or were even cringeworthy. I still liked it in the end because of the silly kills and a decent emotional core, but I do think the first one was better and I'd still like to see a third one.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Well Escape Room was way better than I expected

Can you clarify which; there are three movies by that title, two of which came out in the same month of the same year, and all of which involve people getting suckered into an escape room game that turns deadly.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Wow Shudder is pretty rude to foreigners; if you go to their site from a region where it isn't available, all you get is text saying "Sorry, we are not available in your country". That's literally the entirety of the data they send you, no HTML formatting or anything, just plain text rendered by your browser. They're too cheap to even spare an extra byte of bandwidth to end the sentence with a period!

Burkion posted:

Also, Are You Afraid of the Dark was brought up recently

I watched both seasons and they're both pretty disappointing, just the Midnight Society fighting a single supernatural thing, definitely trying to go for a Stranger Things vibe rather than any kind of horror. I admit I was amused in the second season when they became like a ghostbusting Avengers team, where they each wielded a different light-emitting weapon, like the girl with xmas lights wrapped around her fists or the guy using a ring light as a shield. Also it was neat to see the reveal that Sardo was the son of the OG Sardo, who cameos in the last ep

Argue fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 28, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

What are some good Christmas horror films that are not campy, and also not about a Krampus or other famous Christmas cryptid?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Are there any ghost-type horror films that take place in a Star Trek-esque future? Like, for example, a group of rowdy teen humans, salarians, and geth have a party at a turian mansion built on an old krogan burial ground, etc. Event Horizon and the usual space slashers are the closest I can think of, but they aren't quite right; if there isn't anything else... well, there should be.

Argue fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

What are some good entry-level horror films for almost-teens who are starting to get interested? I mentioned the classic slashers (with Jason, Freddy, etc), plus Exorcist, Evil Dead (not sure if this one's too hardcore for almost-teens), and The Descent. I'm also lacking in contemporary starter recommendations; the most recent one I can think of is Jeepers Creepers... maybe Deadstream.