Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't watch a ton of horror movies these days because my wife is a scaredy cat, but with all of the extra time around the house due to the pandemic I've been taking recommendations from friends and trying to 'catch up' so to speak. In the past couple of weeks I've watched Train to Busan, The Guest, You're Next, Hush, Attack the Block, Happy Death Day, The House of the Devil, The Guest and some others (recognizing some of these are more thriller or scifi than horror).

I really liked You're Next - what would be some similar movies that might scratch that itch (I've seen Ready or Not)? Also just in general what are some of the best horror movies of the last decade or so? I've seen most horror movies that hit the popular zeitgeist (Babadook, It Follows, Jordan Peele stuff, Ari Aster stuff) but feel free to list them since I've likely got gaps. Or should I just pick a list online like this and work my way through it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Basebf555 posted:

What streaming services do you have?

I'm in Canada so my services may not have whatever gets recommended anyway, but I have Netflix and Prime Video (and Disney+), I'm also fine with renting videos from Youtube or whatever. I could also sign up for a trial of Shudder and keep it if it hooks me, so I would say just recommend whatever.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That one isn't on Netflix Canada, and I've already seen Green Room (which was excellent), but otherwise these are all easy enough to track down. Thanks for the recommendations!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I watched Possession for the first time today. I need to go lie down.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Working my way through the recommendations I got in this thread and from friends, I think the last thing I posted about was Possession which was incredible. Since then I watched Blood Quantum, which I thought was pretty solid - the colonialism as zombie virus thing was done well, some cool deaths. Now I am starting my day off with Crawl, which is very stupid so far, but that's okay because I expected it to be very stupid.

After I get through this junk food I'll have to go see where we're at in the Director tourney thread.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

XIII posted:

Semi-related: I really miss watching movies in the theater

Me too, especially the weird, usually empty, (literally) underground theater near my work. Hell, I miss going to work.

I watched Color out of Space and Mandy today, back to back. I am exhausted. What a fun ride.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

alf_pogs posted:

quarantine has pushed my enjoyment of weed to its limit. not good for the vices, this whole distancing thing

same

I'm still working my way through some recommendations I got earlier in the thread. Should the next movie I watch be Villains, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, or Cold Skin?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I watched the 13 Minutes one earlier and found it soooo boring. The lack of a narrator really kills it for me

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I watched One Cut of the Dead today because of people posting about it here, and while I was ready to turn it off at the start I stuck with it and I am glad I did because it was a delight.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

What is the October challenge anyway, I've never participated. I've been cramming for my horror exam this year, I've watched almost 70 movies this month alone, mostly horror. Is it just watching a movie every day? I've been doing that since like July.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hollismason posted:

The real question is what's going to be your horror movie horror challenge for this year. Not just watching movies but a challenge you give yourself.

This will be my first year participating but I've been watching a ton of movies since March (mostly horror) when the whole lockdown, working from home thing started. So I don't want to give myself too tough a challenge, but one of the things I will be trying to do is finish series. I haven't watched the last couple Phantasm movies, I recently rewatched the first couple Rob Zombie Firefly movies but haven't watched 3 From Hell, there's a Re-Animator sequel I haven't seen and so on. So that will be part of my goal.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

This is not movie-related, but I just found this and I'm incredibly excited. Archive.org has a collection called "It Was Once Music Television" which is mostly composed of full MTV VJ sets, complete with music videos, introductions, commercials, everything. It also includes the full 5 hour MTV Elvira Halloween special from 1984!!!

https://archive.org/details/1984.10.31_MTV_Halloween_Special_5_Hours_with_Guest_VJ_Elvira_October_31st_1984

This is extremely awesome and thank you so much for posting it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

If you put Halloween masks on the nazis in Green Room you'd basically have any movie in the vein of The Strangers etc.

I watched the Babysitter sequel, it was a lot of dumb fun

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I used to hide during the opening for Tales From The Crypt because the puppet popping out was so scary to me as a kid. I'd say it worked.

Oh man, same. I'd have my finger hovering over the "last" button on the remote to flip to some other channel, and try to hold out as long as I could without pressing it. I usually gave up when the camera was going down the winding staircase into the crypt. Some of those old episodes really stuck with me since I didn't see a lot of horror as a kid. The one where Joe Pesci gets split in half stuck with me for years.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've been doing the Hooptober thing over on Letterboxd for the past week which will carry me into the SA spookadoodle marathon. Just drown me in the spookaroos to distract from the horrible world we live in

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I also watched Grey Gardens for the first time recently and found it really sad and grating. I would have enjoyed a documentary about Little Edie but Big Edie is so mean. I like DDD's posts a lot!

In more horrory news I watched Tetsuo the Iron Man for the first time today and it ruled.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Dragula is coming to Shudder!

:toot:
I am very excited by this news.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

yeah The Void isn't amazing but I thought it had some cool effects and was worth a watch

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think he threw it in a car driven by another member of the crew to further distance himself from the gun. Could be misremembering. I believe he tells the story in the Savini doc on Shudder?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

EL BROMANCE posted:

He tells the story during the Maniac episode of Last Drive In.

I've never seen that so I guess he also tells it in either his doc, or that four hour In Search of Darkness thing

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Timeless Appeal posted:

WNUF Halloween Special

This is on my list for this month, and all I know about it is the premise (pretending it's an 80s news broadcast, complete with commercials etc.) but I'm super stoked to watch it. Are there other movies in a similar vein out there?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

When I google Ghostwatch, it says it's on Shudder, but when I search Shudder for it, I can't find it. I guess this is a :canada: issue. Well, if I find somewhere to watch it, I will.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I always forget to check archive, even after referring several friends there for Possession. Thanks, I will add it to the watch pile!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Reality Protester posted:

in this post, I may have confused slumber party massacre 2 with sorority house massacre 2. I dont think it makes me wrong though.

I haven't seen SHM 2, but Slumber Party Massacre 2 features a minor character from the first one (except played by a different actor). SPM2 doesn't require watching the first one though I did watch the first one anyway.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Awesome, thanks both. I’ll try sneak in the originals to both of those but if I don’t at least I’m know I’m not gonna be lost.

Prom Night 2 is incredibly fun and much more fantastical than Prom Night. Prom Night is fine, but Prom Night 2 slaaaaaps

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Lumbermouth posted:

Does anyone know if any of the streaming services have the good version of Deep Red? I think both Prime and Hoopla have the 100 minute cut.

Shudder's is 104 mins, so also not the theatrical.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

3 From Hell is on my list for this month. I don't much care for Ho1KC but I think Devil's Rejects is good. I don't like his Halloween movies at all and I also didn't like Lords of Salem.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

graventy posted:

I hate to ruin this surprise but please give this song from the end credits of Haunt a listen. It made me laugh a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbUVVxoCkBE

I put this on and laughed my rear end off, then I played it for my wife and watching her face go from uninterested, to "trying to think of how she knows the lyrics" to the horror on her face when she figured it out was just :discourse:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Ashamed to say I hadn't seen it earlier, but I watched Let the Right One In today and it was so great.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone here still play Friday the 13th for the Xbox One?

You can try this thread in Games

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

I watched Vampires for the first time this summer and yeah the only likeable one is the priest. Woods spends the whole movie treating everyone like poo poo and being a giant homophobe and so on.

I have a harder time listening to music made by awful people than watching movies made by awful people. Like for example I recently rewatched Rosemary's Baby, I also recently watched Brawl in Cell Block 99. It definitely changes the context of how I perceive what I'm watching but maybe I don't find it as hard to watch because I'm not physically seeing or hearing the director whereas if I listen to music made by an rear end in a top hat I also have to listen to the rear end in a top hat's voice etc. to listen to the music. I don't really know what the point of this post is I guess I am saying I agree with Fran.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Chris James 2 posted:

Maybe I’m being overly harsh but forty minutes in I really hate this Castle Freak remake

Nah it's bad, and the guy who plays "The Professor" is one of the worst actors I've seen in a while. The last 15 minutes are hilariously off the wall but not really worth the first 90 to get there.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

KISS are funny, Gene Simmons sucks. Who cares. Let's talk about the new movie Freaky, which is a very silly fun time.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Timeless Appeal posted:

I was very scared of Dolls.

We had an old set of dresser drawers acting as a TV stand in our basement growing up, which is where we kept all our VHS tapes. The Dolls box art scared me so bad even just the spine of it when I would open that drawer. I watched it this year and it was fun.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I watched Diabolique last year and loved it, it's just so goddamn tense the entire time.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I finally caved and watched Possessor (I was saving it until my new TV was set up) and boy oh boy that was excellent.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

married but discreet posted:

Yeah that's a neat little movie. Aubrey Plaza nails it.

This is true. She was also great in Black Bear which I watched this week

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I hate eye trauma and I hate this page. Bless.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

posters questioning their world views and learning from it: the ultimate non-poser move :)

I watched the 1999 Haunting this week, and oof what a swing and a miss that was. One of the most wasted casts I can remember in some time. Also, it was weird for me to see Owen Wilson in a horror movie.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I read a review of Willy's Wonderland that said Nicolas Cage doesn't speak at all in the movie, which sounds very stupid. Is it true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Continuing to fill in my most shameful horror gaps, I finally watched Ringu, and it was tense and mysterious and great.

I'm hoping to have half of the They Shoot Zombies, Don't They top 1000 horror movies watched by the end of the year. Currently in the high 300s.