Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You guys are not doing a good job on this first page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

No I don't.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I'm glad we didn't even get to page 3 before someone was a huge rear end in a top hat to me. Keeping the spirit of the horror thread alive.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

https://twitter.com/JordanPeele/status/1073264456140898306

Kvlt! posted:

LMAO at the posers itt who dont think the Santa episode is the best tales from the crypt one

id also accept the one with bill paxton and brad dourif

The best episode is the pilot or the Bobcat Goldwaith one.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I'm a little late on zombie social commentary chat but it's important to remember that 95% of the time, when there's an obvious parallel to police/military abuse in zombie media and the zombies are framed as a metaphor for minorities or just the proletariat, the movie wants you to feel bad about it, and is very very obviously not endorsing it. That 5% that thinks soldiers shooting thousands of unarmed civilians is badass does exist but they're all really bad movies.

Like almost every good zombie movie has man as the real monster, and a huge number of them have the military, the police, and people in positions of authority who can decide life and death in general turn out to be the worst of them all.

That doesn't mean you can't have a cop be the protagonist of a zombie movie without it being some weird blue lives matter ethnic cleansing fantasy.

Untrustable posted:

Is there a new way to do zombie movies? No one has come at it from a new angle in a long time. I liked Fido but that was like 12 years ago. I'm trying hard to think or something interesting or original in zombie horror from the last 10 years and I can't remember anything super good. Except Savageland. Even though that movie's premise could have worked with any kind of horror movie creature.

You don't need to reinvent the wheel to make a good zombie movie. Just don't half-rear end it and be sincere. That's what Train to Busan did. Sure there's a tiny gimmick with specific rules of how the zombies work that plays into all of one scene, but for the most part it's just a zombie movie, it's just not a lovely, half assed, constantly quipping, tone deaf zombie movie. It has real characters you care about, a sense of scope, a good score, actual cinematography, a script that isn't completely stale, etc.

People who think a twist on how the infection spreads or whatever is what's gonna save zombie movies are missing the point entirely and usually end up making the most forgettable zombie media of all.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Popelmon posted:

Does Inferno hold the record for most cats thrown at an actor in a horror movie? Or are there any other contenders?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emagoveDoIg

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I don't think you can find an Italian movie from the era that isn't dubbed. Certainly not an Argento film.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Some movies are a lot more obvious than others about it, to be sure.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I mean that's what she's famous for, of course they're going to reference it.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Jedit posted:

It's still tacky as gently caress and not a little misogynistic.

Yeah, it was pretty misogynistic of her to exploit people's fascination with the sexual lives of young women to achieve fame.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Fallen is so freaking good.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Ho ho ho! It's almost time for the...

I know everyone's excited about Joe Bob's marathon tonight, but if you still have room in your stocking for more holiday horror, Tomorrow at 5:30 EST I'll be streaming 4 holiday horror classics, along with a bunch of holiday themed nonsense in between. Which nonsense? Well...

Gremlins

Black Christmas

Krampus

Silent Night, Deadly Night 2

I hope you can join me on my cytube channel (remember to install the extension if you didn't do it in October or you won't see much), and do join us in the official horror thread Discord!

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 is basically a double feature because 50% of the film is footage from the first movie.

Yeah one year I showed both of them and that is not really necessary. The original is a really good slasher, but if you've seen it once, just watch 2 instead because you get the highlight reel and the stupid bullshit.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Ho ho ho! It's almost time for the...

I know everyone's excited about Joe Bob's marathon tonight, but if you still have room in your stocking for more holiday horror, Tomorrow at 5:30 EST I'll be streaming 4 holiday horror classics, along with a bunch of holiday themed nonsense in between. Which nonsense? Well...

Gremlins

Black Christmas

Krampus

Silent Night, Deadly Night 2

I hope you can join me on my cytube channel (remember to install the extension if you didn't do it in October or you won't see much), and do join us in the official horror thread Discord!

The x-mas horror stream is going live in less than 10 minutes, so grab a cup of Hot Jones and tune in!

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

ZearothK posted:

So, our crew is doing a horror marathon for Christmas and New Year's Eve, not a themed one however. I actually haven't watched Horror movies in a loooong time, so recommend me some good ones from the last ten years. I am down for anything that doesn't involve animal cruelty.

Define animal cruelty.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

ZearothK posted:

One of the guests lost their dog last month, so no murdering pets.

It Follows, Get Out, The Vvitch, Let the Right One In, Train to Busan (foreign and has subtitles if that's a dealbreaker).

In Zombieland and Krampus a dog is implied to have died off screen but it later turns out they did not.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

Everyone should watch The Vvitch but that doesnít fit their criteria.

e:

I don't even remember that and I just watched it.

Dogs dying is like the most natural thing in horror, it's so counter-intuitive to me to try and avoid it.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I really liked Overlord.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Yeah if you're into Weird World War II stuff it's awesome. If you ever played the Wolfenstein games that have a theme of horrible Nazi experimentation to create supersoldiers, this is like the exact movie of that.

I think a lot of people are frustrated because they wanted it to turn into Red Snow 2 in the third act, but instead the structure remains that of a war movie, despite the insane poo poo happening. And it's a drat good one.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

In the 90s you could be the lead singer of a hit "punk" band and be really really really untalented on every level. It was a magical time in the music industry.

Now now, that was exclusive to the late 90s. In the early 90s you had to be in a hit hair metal band.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Curse is almost a Giallo, right down to the ending.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Are we still doing the Horror Missed Classics thread for January.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

There's also an American Psycho 2 and it is the worst.

Like how dare you even try that lol.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I made that thread about catching up on classic horror movies we still haven't seen cuz no one else did.

Check it out and PM me classic horror movies you haven't seen or movies you feel are absolutely essential viewing.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

lol, why the gently caress is Ong Bak coming to Shudder?

No idea but I ain't complaining, that movie rules.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

Discussion: The Friday the 13th remake is actually pretty good.

Resolved: The Friday the 13th Remake sucks.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

Has there ever been an in-canon explanation of why Jason almost-drowned and then decided to live in the woods for some reason, even though his mom was right there.

This should've been in the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwXz8vDjOqg

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Jay and Silent Bob are in that movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

they're also in the music video for Afroman's because i got high lol

I feel like that's a better fit.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

https://twitter.com/nobojackcontext/status/1081917305431281664

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

A Scanners remake/reboot/sequel would need to have at least one exploding head per scene to live up to its legacy. Preferably having the very first shot be s head exploding and then exponentially increasing the number of exploding heads per scene until until it ends in a psychedelic orgy of combusting craniums.

They'd all be CG so it would be devoid of any merit.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Whatís the best exploding head in movie history? I vote Dawn of the Dead, which they actually shot with a shotgun.

It's Scanners, sorry. You can't really debate that one.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Speaking of Dawn of the Dead, it's today's January Horror Essential. It's not too late to join in and start filling the gaps in your watch history, horror goons! Start the new year off right.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Not if the film goes wildly over budget!

The most expensive, meticulously rendered CG head explosion isn't worth a 15 dollar dummy with a ziploc bag of fake blood in its head blown up with a firecracker.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Liberal Idiot posted:

Are these by movie, or by monster? Because if by movie:

Frankenstein
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Dracula
Wolf Man

But if by monster:

Creature From the Black Lagoon
Wolf Man
Frankenstein
Dracula

Dude what. How can you rank Lugosi's Dracula lower than the wolfman, but rank his movie higher. He's the best part of the film!!!

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Mummy and Returns are great. The latter being kind of bad but itís still the main cast having a blast doing the sequel. Plus the best score ever.

Dragon Emperor sucks rear end entirely. Itís not redeemable at all. And the score is the worst score ever.

The Mummy Returns is many times worse than The Mummy. It has atrocious cinematography, much worse CGI (and much more of it), and like the first half of the movie is just the first movie but sped up?

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah but the characters are on point and they're great.

The mummy himself is wildly out of character. He shouldn't even be in the film, really, but if he's going to be in it he maybe shouldn't be a pathetic shadow of the villain he was in the first one.

Neo Rasa posted:

Everyone brings up the gif earlier, but it really is crazy how bad almost all of the CG in that movie is (even for it's time).

That whole chase scene in the middle of the film is spectacularly terrible.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

They wouldn't have gotten the budget to make Anarchy for the first one.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

We may fight over the best Ft13 but we all agree 4 and 6 are essentially 2 of the top 3, though the order may change. I think that's a good thing.

That's where you're wrong kiddo.

FvJ
remake
X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

It is illegal to put 6 that far down the list. Youíre under arrest.

When a president does it, it's not illegal.