Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fart City posted:

Has there ever been a release of A New Beginning that has all of the gore slashed by the censors restored?

Sadly no. Which is a shame. I believe the materials might just be lost, or else we would've seen a release by now.

gently caress the late 80s/early 90s MPAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's no pretty much about it, that's the literal text of the film. Which is a much better way for him to come back to life than a loving lightning bolt. God I hate part 6.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't rank every single kill in the series, but we all know there's only one choice for best Jason kill ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzJStkVC0U

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m fairly certain it gets used in the Friday the 13th game too

It is not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's funny how you never hear anything bad about him as a person.

Ask his former bandmates lol.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lmao Hard Ticket to Hawaii.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Please tag that as NSFW. I know the context implies it, but still.

E: Thanks. :)

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 16, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I still really like Cabin in the Woods.

That’s a helluva snipe.

I hate that film.

Wark Say posted:

Greetings. Habitual lurker here. Decided to post since I feel like I'm running into a dead-end: If I have Amazon Prime and Netflix, are there any horror movies in either that I might be overlooking worth the while?

On Netflix I'd recommend: The Ritual, Veronica, The Babadook, Cult of Chucky, Apostle, I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House, The VVitch, Krampus, Train to Busan, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Scream, Coraline, Monster House, Scream 2 and Let Me In.

I'm in Canada so some of these may not be available to you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Netflix is really bleeding licenses lately, last time I checked their horror section there was at least 30 more "names" on there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I like meta movies. Any genre any kind.

Also the scene is the monsters escape scene which rules so much and I wish more movies would just let loose a bunch of creatures.

That scene's good and I appreciate the work of all the various special effects people who worked on each monster to give it a distinct look, but I don't think the entire rest of the movie is even mildly enjoyable so that sequence alone can't hold it up for me.

The biggest problem with the movie is that it thinks it's clever and funny, and it's neither, and that's really grating.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Looks about right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

That reminds me of the guy (I forget if it was in the Traditional Games board here or on some other RPG board but it was infamous in the grognards.txt threads) who kept asking and seemed dead set on running like a tabletop gaming/D&D sort of thing as junior high after school program at his local school.

:yeah:

Using the Gor setting.

:wtc:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gor

:siren: :siren: :siren:

Both the Gor fan website with the whipcrack audio clip and the youtube video of the audio clip have disappeared from the internet. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

As I said in my 'rawr' post over in the October challenge thread, the monster design was nice, but that was it. But then I think we're tied in our hate of the movie.

Nah you've definitely got the edge on me I think. I always sound like I have stronger opinions about media than I actually have because of how I express myself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Please change back that is too scary.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Shining for TV is basically the Lifetime channel adaptation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Test post so I can see it.

EDIT: OMG thats actually hilarious i love it. Ive been going through some some lovely health problems recently and that totally had me cracking up! you made my morning dude thank you haha

Feel better Kvlt!, you need to be in top form to defeat James Wan and send his cursed castle back to the chaos realm for another 100 years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

Compared to how Netflix has been, I'd say Shudder's still knocking it out of the park. While they're dipping into the original material/exclusives waters, they're still not sacrificing what has built them up so far. Netflix on the other hand's been cutting their movies catalog and going heavy on the original programming which might not appeal to everyone.

Not to defend a corporate entity, but I don't think Netflix is cutting that stuff cuz they want to. All the rights holders want a piece of that streaming pie now that Netflix proved how profitable it can be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

When I was a kid, I just wanted to find some proof of the paranormal because it would've been rad, so I watched those drat shows all the time. They ruled but also made me mad because they never found poo poo.

There was an infuriatingly bad children's show up here that was basically ghost hunters but with kids, and it made me really mad with how blatantly dishonest they were. It took me all of two episodes to realize that not only did no one involved believe ghosts were real, but also that ghosts definitely did not exist.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Deadguy2322 posted:

Maybe more accurate info came out since the article I read in the 90s, but what I had read was that she had no native status and the organization she claimed to represent was a sham.

That sounds like a typical smear.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Christine is a legitimately great film despite the stupid premise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Carpenter shot the gently caress out of that car, there is some really beautiful stuff going on in that movie.

There were so many loving cars playing Christine in the shooting of the film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

I think there were 16 cars used and only 3 remain since they mostly got hosed up.

28 cars, and only 2 remained. And most of them weren't even Plymouth Furies but you can't really tell at a glance.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Deadguy2322 posted:

You’re missing a third, key component.

Financing.

He has said he stopped making movies because it got too hard to get the backing to do so, which is a sad loving state of affairs.

Much like Romero, Carpenter's movies were all great but on the whole they were only moderately successful. You'd think being film-makers that influenced 30 years of cinema and counting would be enough to secure some financing, but nope.

Meanwhile if you're the worst director in the world you can get unlimited financing and complete creative control of tentpole franchises.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Carpenter's extremely good but he's not exactly "safe." Like, one of the man's best films is about a heroic domestic terrorist fighting against capitalism.

Also a few of his otherwise great films also have some bafflingly terrible performances in them. Not everything he made is necessarily shoestring budget, but a lot of it feels that way because there's always one or two elements of the production that look or sound like crap, often in the same movie as e.g. amazing practical effects.

Those are all fine rationalizations, but keep in mind Carpenter's movies cost less to make than half of a John Carter or Bloated 80s Remake or Failed YA Series First Book Adaptation or whatever. There's no such thing as a safe bet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dick Miller was in so many B movies, many of them horror classics. He was always a delight and he'll be missed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1091510228376444929

:getin:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKuvOrCmFTY

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

It needed more of everything. More nazi monsters, more of Kurt Russell’s son, more insane poo poo like the screaming head. It teased me and just ended with that fight without the villain turning into some kind of insane creature or something. Anything.

It just felt really dull.

I'm glad K. Waste showed me Frankenstein's Army because THAT is what I wanted. That movie is bonkers and kept getting more and more bonkers as it went along.

I like a film that takes its premise seriously and doesn't feel the need to escalate the third act into an Avengers-style mess of a big battle, personally. I mean Dead Snow 2 is fun but I'm glad Overlord isn't that, being slow and understated makes it work for me. If the bad guy had turned into a Resident Evil boss monster or there were thousands of nazi zombies jumping all over the place being mowed down by the hundreds, I would have completely checked out of the movie. Instead I cared about the small group of characters and their simple mission.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I have not seen the remake but I have heard that it is much different from the original, which I can recommend wholeheartedly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Suspiria is actually very sensical it just holds the answers hostage for a very long time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

For the record whenever I talk about Suspiria I mean the original because I have not seen the new one. I couldn't tell you how much sense that one makes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Canadian Horror Rushmore

Cronenberg
?
?
?

loving James Cameron and Denis Villeneuve, for a start. And let's just slap Ivan Reitman on there for Ghostbusters. And that's just sticking to the anglos.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

Cameron’s only true horror movies are Piranha 2 and The Terminator. I’ll give you Aliens I guess, but I think that’s more of an action movie.

That's still 2 incredibly important movies that have greatly influenced the horror genre. Like Fran said about American directors, it's difficult because a lot of the greats aren't really horror directors primarily. Carpenter is a good example, he made a bunch of weird action and comedy stuff, a lot of people still think of him as the Big Trouble in Little China guy. And Sam Raimi made 3 entries in one of the most important horror series ever, then no horror movies for a really long time, then a mediocre horror movie that is largely forgotten, and yet a lot of people will still think of him as a horror guy and not "The Spider-man guy".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is a perfect representation of the relationship between capitalism and art.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Presenting Basebf555's third place prize from the January Horror Essentials thread, a customized doodle of a horror character of his choosing...

THE JUICY ZOMBIE!

Credits to my good friend and talented artist LandsharkRAWR for the artwork.

For those of you who couldn't participate in the thread, you can still look through the list to see if any of the classics are something you've been meaning to watch! I think it's a pretty good list and the participants seemed to agree.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 7, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/MKupperman/status/1093696315542904833

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

For the record I could beat up every horror movie monster, even the ones that are elder gods, disturbances in the fabric of space time, or metaphors for damaged psyches.

I can kick the Overlook's rear end and body slam the Babadook.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Even Vigo the Carpathian, the greatest horror movie monster, couldn't defeat the power of love.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Honestly they should just put Chucky in a safe. Sure he always inexplicably comes back to life because of voodoo curses and being fixed and melted into slag used for other dolls or whatever other poo poo, but what's he gonna do in a safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

Couldn't he just do the voodoo curse on the safe and become a lumbering, murderous hunk of lead and steel?

You put the safe in concrete. Even if he possesses the concrete, concrete ain't got moving parts.