Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m racking my brain trying to remember a film I watched a bunch of years ago, but can’t find in my rating logs or trakt list which is odd.

I might be crossing over or getting details wrong so apologies if so, but I don’t think it’d be anything particular unknown to horror fans I just can’t remember looking through lists.

Believe it to be a 70s Giallo film, set in Germany perhaps? Involved people of an orchestra or drama company being murdered. The killer is eventually worked out due to something on the wall in an apartment hallway revealing them, maybe a mirror? Possibly a painting?

I’m hoping it’ll come to me now I’ve written it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Origami Dali posted:

Looks like you're mixing up Opera or possibly Stagefright (the theater) and Deep Red (the reveal).

M_Sinistrari posted:

I almost want to say there was something with a framed picture regarding a flashback in Stagefright. Only reason I'm thinking it might not be Stagefright is the killer's distinctive owl mask.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Deep Red most likely, the main character is a jazz musician and his friend is a saxophonist (or flutist? something like that) and the reveal of the killer is more or less exactly as you described.

Thanks all, it’s gotta be Deep Red then as I have Opera but haven’t had chance to watch, and don’t think I’ve got Stagefright (maybe I should grab!).

I dismissed it as being Deep Red as I kept remembering just the elements about the doll in the flashback scenes, and for some reason thought that ended in a school. I’m really good at mixing up my Giallos it seems!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Franchescanado posted:

The only list I’d put Cabin In The Woods in is “Movies that Came Out in 2012”

You’re good people. I couldn’t stand it (mainly because everyone said you should go in completely blind, so had no expectation of tone) as I paired it with Berberian Sound Studio and it was such a dull thud after that I’m probably harsher on it than I should be.

When I told my friends who loved it, they were basically ‘well you can’t go compare it to an actually good film’ which made me laugh. I’ll give it another shot one day maybe, but the Whedon dialog is never going to win me over. It’s a shame because the concept is fun at least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching Opera at last, and while I always thought the spikes taped under the eyes makes for an awesome visual it never looked like it would cause any harm. Had to laugh out loud when she visibly blinks without any damage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm intrigued if anyone knows much about a movie named Doreijyu / Doreijuu / 奴隷獣 / Slave Beast. Looks like it was made in 2000, is Japanese, has a bonkers cover of a topless lady with metal spider legs, was only released on VHS and just doesn't seem to have virtually anything online about it.

Censored Cover - http://www.gagays.xyz/site/pic?pic=http%3A%2F%2Fpic.gagays.xyz%2F3f%2F6d3fd93760b08c18e91a0959ff190e.jpg Still :nws: to be honest
Uncensored Cover / Listing to buy it seems? - https://www.buyuru.com/item_836228_1.html :nws:

The only real info I found was on a blog entry of Potentially interesting Japanese Special Effects Movies That Have Never Been Translated into English is as follows:

quote:

Described by the box as featuring “nonstop monster horror”, Doreijuu gets mentioned frequently when folks make lists of obscure Japanese giant monster flicks, yet I have yet to hear an actual firsthand account from someone who’s seen it. It was only released on VHS and isn’t even on amazon.jp, but I’ve gotta say, a 10 meter spider-lady makes quite the sight.  The director, Shuichi Kunigome, had previously worked special effects on a lot of cool stuff (Lady Battle Cop, Cyclops, Jiban, Hakaider, Kamen Riders Black, ZO, and J), but I’ve gotta admit that I haven’t heard of any of the other stuff he’s directed himself (the title Ninja Vixens doesn’t inspire a whole lot of confidence).

But even that is barebones.

I'm sure it's shite, I'm sure if there was info on it I'd just think "ha, crazy" and move on, but the mere fact it seems to have disappeared without trace has me curious. Virtually everything I've found online is just repeated cloned sites, it's not on iMDB or TMDB, and Googling the names of everyone involved didn't really bring up much either. It's one of those films you'd think would be infamous based on its batshit cover, but appears not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Stink Billyums posted:

looks like it's available as a digital rental on dmm, though I'm assuming you'd need to use a vpn.

https://www.dmm.com/digital/videomarket/movie/-/detail/=/title_id=112A10/

otherwise I don't really see anything about it on the japanese internet, or even copies of the vhs for sale. wait, here's some random visuals at least https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx0XGwAlB9b/

Ah nice, I saw the first frame of that Instagram video in my search but didn't realise it was connected to a clip. drat, it does nothing to quench my desire to get ahold of it now!

Yeah that DMM site seems similar to a lot of the ones I came across, although it has a different description to the identikit one I've seen (maybe it's incorrect? it doesn't mention 10 METER SPIDER WOMAN afterall). I might have to go the VPN route and try finding a way to capture it if it actually has the film on it. I've checked places like RareLust, My Duck Is Dead, Kara* etc and just nothing comes up so I'm not sure if a print has ever been traded before.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't see "horror" and "hospital" and not recommend someone watches Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Just an absurd parody that everyone should try at least once.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how he just quit a travel show he’s done for 10 (British length) seasons because he realized he hates traveling.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched Guinea Pig 4: Devil Doctor Woman tonight. Mainly because the cover looked fun and I wanted to see how it differed to the more gore driven ones (which I’ve just skimmed through and never really watched).

It’s a frustrating film because even at 45 minutes there’s chunks that really drag, but it got some good laughs out of me and the Doctor character is awesome. If it was less inconsistent it would’ve been a really fun watch I think.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

COOL CORN posted:

God drat it we're gonna find something you haven't seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQsX352KCts

They were showing this in a local bar because one of the characters was wearing their shirt. That appeared to be the only reason to watch it.

MacheteZombie posted:

Also Series 7: The Contender

This was good. I remember there being a deleted scene or alternate ending that explained something the film itself didn't, thoug.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

feedmyleg posted:

I'm going to stay up late and watch two movies on Halloween night (I'm thinking Society and Halloween III). I'm also thinking of pre-gaming with something a little offbeat, maybe a campy TV halloween special, trick-or-treating safety videos, a halloween-themed episode of a TV show from my youth, etc. Something that really captures the spirit of Halloween night. Any suggestions?

I'm going to watch the WNUF Halloween Special which I'm hoping will fulfill a similar need.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

feedmyleg posted:

Where the heck did you find it? It seems to only be available on DVD.

I don't think it's on any streaming services, unless someone else happens to know of one (Shudder, perhaps?)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DC's Swamp Thing?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I might put a complaint on Nextdoor about someone in the neighborhood playing a 'foul version of Monster Mash' while the kids do their trick or treating, just to get everyone clucking away.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sponges posted:

A Quiet Place is a perfectly enjoyable movie if you don’t think about it too much

I'm guessing it was more fun in the theater, because my wife and I couldn't stop talking through it, going "wait, why did..." every few seconds. It just made no real sense.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Joined the From Beyond club last night, I enjoyed it. Good effects and design, pacing is decent, and a great descent into madness. It's been decades since I've seen Re-Animator, so it's definitely making me want to rewatch that again at some point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve never seen any of the evil bong films, but I do appreciate that the dude who directed all 8 (?) of them is doing so in his 60s. Rock on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't think of anything this decade that got me as good as the final sequence in [Rec] where they're using the IR camera and have to go into the loft area, and the buildup works so well that I absolutely do not want to see what's up there.

e: out of curiosity, do they do as good as job with this bit in Quarantine? I've never seen it, but have read people say it's a decent enough remake. It just looks a bit pointless, and I'd rather watch the original each time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of Nightmare 2, has anyone seen that documentary about it yet - Scream Queen, My Nightmare on Elm Street. Looks like it’s doing the festival circuit at the moment.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also Mysterious Skin. Which at my local cinema was written up in their description as a science fiction movie, and kind of didn't mention the main plot of the film. That caused some walkouts.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I will never not read that movie title as Nekromantik, and I kinda like it that way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve only seen the extended, and people seemed to like the extra stuff that was added so sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rageaholic posted:

Saw In Fabric. That was great! I know this is a completely different movie but it gave me some serious Beyond the Black Rainbow vibes.

It’s an incomprehensible mess? That’s a shame.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the people who made it seem quite annoying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Karloff posted:

PG-13 horror films often fall into the 15 rated category in UK cinemas. But then so do R rated horror films. So, the 15 rating in the UK interestingly incorporates a wide swath of horror content, there are a number of films that I was surprised to learn were PG-13 because they were a little harsher than I would expect for that rating - for me it's not necessarily always a bad thing .

Yeah growing up in the UK, the ‘cut to 15’ mentality drove me mad. It would’ve been so much easier if the BBFC just copied the same rating system as the country of origin for a massive amount of the movies then applied their own laws on top (ie no martial arts weapons) rather than having to constantly deal with studios trying to maximise sales. I don’t even think the 18 rating was that big a deal, especially back in the day, but the studios treated it like an X. Always had to look out for imported copies and the like whenever I saw the cut list.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I looked it up on the BBFC (the British system) and it's a '12' on there, and it would be unusual for an R to get reduced down to that. Perhaps it was rerated between theatrical and video releases?

e: looking at the full disclosure for it, looks like it had a cinema release in the UK as a PG with a minute of cuts, then a PG video release presumably with the same cuts (no cut is mentioned, but that probably means the distributor submitted the version that was already cut) a year later, then the 12 version came out in 2015 with a longer runtime and is presumably uncut.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 11, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

weekly font posted:

The Soska Sisters are obviously really huge horror fans and also evidence why you can't just give a camera to any nerd at a HorrorCon with encyclopedic knowledge of the genre and get a good film.

They were also in a Lucifer Valentine film which... yeah. That's not great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Franchescanado posted:

Polite reminder: posting NWS or NMS stuff without labels, even behind spoiler tags, is 100% asking for a probation.

And further to note - images embedded behind spoiler links are still downloaded and could screw people on work connections.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

To continue the horror/thriller debate, I’m putting together my pool of movies for October to pull from... would Let The Corpses Tan be a good Halloween month pick? I’m trying to keep the list varied somewhat but I know absolutely nothing about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks, the genre tags I was seeing around were putting me off but thought best to check. Supposed to be good so I’ll have to find some time at some point!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Actually, it seems not. Not seeing any evidence they went anywhere outside of dvd releases.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching Troll 2 and it truly is everything I dreamt of. I’m not the only one who thought the dad was going to piss over his kid, right? Didn’t think I’d be typing that sentence tonight.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gaz2k21 posted:

If you haven’t already watched it you should watch the Documentary “Best Worst Movie” it’s wonderful, Eureka! Released a Blu-Ray of both Troll movies and the documentary it’s a pro purchase.

I started that last night after watching the movie, I love George Hardy more than I thought possible. Throughout the actual movie I was just imagining each scene but with Henry Rollins playing his part in a wig.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The hype felt manufactured. Everyone I know who watched it said it was fine but that’s about it, but the wider picture made it look like it was something unmissable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah ended up watching it last night. They did a decent enough job given the circumstances, but it still just felt recycled from other movies (ie doing the Paranormal Activity 2 kitchen thing not once but twice and the attic bit felt more than a bit reminiscent of Rec) and somehow it did feel dragged out despite the short length. But hey, I've spent an hour doing worse things. Plus people say it's better than the Unfriended movies, so now I feel I don't ever need to bother with those.

Finished 'Best Worst Movie' too, wild ride. I couldn't decide whether I felt sorry for or hated the director (it feels a bit cruel getting him involved with events where people are full on mocking his movie that he obvious doesn't feel the same way about), but man Margo Prey.. what happened? When she said she was inbetween agents and hadn't worked 'this year' I knew I was going to see a barebones iMDB resume. I'm guessing she was always a bit burnt out as the cast seemed to know what to expect but yeesh. I'm glad I got to back-to-back them together, it's still kinda crazy I just never got around to watching Troll 2 until now, but hey Godfather 2 has been sitting on my shelf for like 20+ years too so.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Decided to finally bite the bullet and do Martyrs tonight. Also half way through I decided to bite the bullet and do the washing up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

What a great movie, I wish I could go back and see that for the first time again.

I still haven't seen the remake.

It was a wild ride, which was what I was expecting but a lot of it was different to how I was expecting it. Definitely a film of two halves for me, and personally I preferred the first half where you're wondering if her delusions have caused her to mess up and target the wrong people, how they were going to get out of the situation, discovering she wasn't in fact wrong and then having a whole new set of questions... but almost immediately we're then thrown into a secret cabal plot with "reasoning" and ehhhh I'm always disappointed when it's a cabal thing. Like, I get it - the film was barely an hour in and it needed to do something big to keep going, and at least the cabal stuff had more purpose and idea than most do. During the torture scenes I felt like they were just running down the clock and showing me things I didn't really need to see, as I already knew the results which were horrifying enough. But I quite liked the actual ending, so I can't complain.

Yeah I doubt I'll bother with the remake, I read the plot overview on Wiki and I know it was generally despised by everyone who saw it. That's enough for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I started early, without really meaning to but then it became a conscious effort, because 1. the mood took me and it's the same way as dieting and saying "I'll start tomorrow" and now it's been 3 years and I'm still fat, and 2. I know I'm away a ton in October so I won't make a particularly big dent in my list if I left it til then.

Here's my pool/watches so far, I added the Hooptober criteria in so I'll be adding to the pool to cover those but I'm not going to do the reviews because I'm super lazy. https://letterboxd.com/jayx/list/october-horror-film-pool-and-hooptober-attempt/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

After bailing out of Edward Penishands after less than 10
minutes, I’m not sure it’s a challenge I would pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I finally got around to watching Tetsuo, after first attempting it back in 1993 or so when I was 11 or 12 years old. I wish I'd stuck with it back then ha (I did afterall make it all the way through Urotsukidoji at the same time). Not sure I'll be rushing to watch it again, but it's definitely a very cool and art as gently caress film. Lead actor kills it the whole time, I'll probably find some time to do Body Hammer as I heard some people dug that one more.