Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

SMP posted:

suggestion for a future thread title: Bela Lugosi's Thread

God drat I love and appreciate this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Kvlt! posted:

i finally understand those dudes who nut on action figures

I scrolled past the link, so seeing this post out of context was quite a surprise.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

The closest releases to my birthday are Re-Animator and Nightmare on Elm Street 2

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Franchescanado posted:

I started watching that Eli Roth History of Horror show, and it's a little frustrating? It's more interested in name-dropping some movies, convolutes the evolution of genre's to the point of misinformation (without any real benefit to this), and it has Eli Roth in it. And Chris Hardwick.

I thought it was pretty funny that they had Rob Zombie as a talking head for the zombie episodes, except all he did was nod politely at Eli Roth whenever he had to share that he knew something.

Eli Roth: 28 Days Later is most famous for having introduced running zombies. EXCEPT THAT FULCI HAD RUNNING ZOMBIES IN CITY OF THE DEAD.
Rob Zombie: :hmmyes:

I know it's for a mainstream audience, so I shouldn't gripe about it mainly focusing on The Walking Dead instead of fun stuff like Dead Alive, but then it spends a while on Shaun of the Dead but brushes over Return of the Living Dead.

I'll watch more, but it's all pretty rote for a regular of this thread.

I was mildly interested in this but glad to see not to waste my time.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I bet that Blu-ray of just Giallo trailers is probably a good choice

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I’ll be honest I was expecting something more like this

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Kvlt! posted:

i remember a while ago i found this gif and for DAYS nobody in the discord could find where its from and we posted it itt and some guy found it and it was from like an obscure German short film that if you googled you'd barely even find evidence existed. That was p impressive

Anyone remember that? It was like witches eating a baby in a barn or something like that

I remember that. It was like the most amazing thing I’ve seen and it really solidified this as the best thread.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

s.i.r.e. posted:

This is where Nickelodeon succeeded well, Global GUTS and Legends of the Hidden Temple was all about kids doing awesome poo poo that other kids would have killed to do and not about their backstories. I think at most it was like, "I'm from Florida and I'm here today with my brother!" and boom, off to the races.

“Im from Florida, and no, I don’t know how to assemble the shrine of the silver monkey”

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's pretty much the consensus that Lovecraft had issues on top of issues. And since I had to look up what shoe fly pie was, I actually feel pretty queasy at the thought of it.

I’m the opposite, I now want to try Shoofly Pie but also I’m afraid it’ll make me a racist like Lovecraft.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Iron Crowned posted:

I really should watch more giallo

There’s always room for giallo

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm still bummed that the scariest scene in the book got cut. The scene where IT becomes the Creature from the Black Lagoon and stalks that kid through the junk yard is scary as hell.

I was doubly disappointed because I was hoping they’d update it and make it Jason Voorhees.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Undying is one of those games you needed to play when it was contemporary not 20 years later

I replayed it recently and the things that made it so interesting just don't stand out as much anymore

Thats a bummer to hear. I loved that game.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

T Bowl posted:

He didn't actually attack her. It's this weird "dream" thing where we assume what she heard from Mrs. Voorhees was enough to have her traumatically dream of him.

It's just a false scare that in there but also a pretty good one.

The entire serious is a loving disaster in logic, timeline, and continuity, just enjoy it for what it is..

Also listen to In Voorhees We Trust with Gourley and Rust

Chasin' More Pees.

In Voorhees We Trust is so great. I firmly believe their theory that Jason did drown, and was dead for the first movie, but the butt worm from part 9 reanimated him and aged him up.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Groovelord Neato posted:

there's a crystal lake by me i should go sink a life size jason there.

I passed a Crystal Lake sign on the way to a wedding at a Summer Camp in the middle of nowhere and frankly I was prepared to die.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Lurdiak posted:

Anyone who picks Jigsaw is a criminal.

But I'm going with my boy Jason.

:same:

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I always thought of this as the best rap sampling horror

Also why has no rapper sampled the Deep Red theme? It slaps.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Snack Bitch posted:

Lol, are you in for a treat

Holy poo poo

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I dehydrate myself for a day prior to seeing any movie

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Neo Rasa posted:

Is the Castle Rock series good?

I can’t speak for what other people thought, but I thought it was dreadfully boring. It might pick up later in the season, but I just got bored and quit as it’s a lot of people being passive aggressive to show off there’s tension between them.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

david_a posted:

Based on the screenshot it looks purple.

I now want more than anything for it to just be purple. Like, the producers asked the director how he planned to show a color outside the visible spectrum and he was like “it’s purple” and said it with such conviction that they couldn’t argue against it.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Basebf555 posted:

There's a major payoff to the slow buildup but yea, there's not a lot of ghost "action" in the movie. Might just not be your thing.

Part VI wins again, gently caress yea.

I never realized how much Part VI filtered into my brain until I saw a cop car turn on its lights and zoom down the highway to catch a guy and I instinctively said “hit the noise and the cherries”

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

That looks amazing. What are you coating it with?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Shudder worth trying out?

Yes.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Blast Fantasto posted:

Phantasm -> Phantasm 2 is another great shift in tone from original to sequel. The original is this pseudo-art film with a lot of genuinely creepy moments and the second one is all quad-barrel shotguns, chainsaw fights, and hats that say Boogie Down.

I love both movies.

Phantasm 2 is one of my favorite movies. I love how far it veers off the first.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

For sure watch FWWM if you haven’t, and even better, watch the Missing Pieces (the scenes cut out from FWWM). There’s so much from the movie that plays a bigger part in The Return.

And if you want to be a hyper nerd, read The Secret History of Twin Peaks before watching The Return and The Final Dossier after. Secret History gives a lot more depth to the story (and legit is a good read) and The Final Dossier will give you more closure. Both are written by Mark Frost.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

It’s also just a beautiful critique of the current nostalgia mining. Love catchphrases from the show? here, take a “cherry pie” from Dougie.

I will say it took me a little while to come around on the ending. I even woke up at least twice the night of the finale to read the internet to see if someone else had parsed it more than I did before I went to bed.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Franchescanado posted:

All of the character arcs and the overall arc makes a lot of thematic sense, though. You can't change the past, but you can improve the future with hope, optimism, love, kindness and determination. All that stuff is pretty cohesive.

I'm due for a rewatch.

I really like this reading but I’d also add:

And don’t gently caress with forces beyond your comprehension because you’ll get hosed.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

ruddiger posted:

Speaking of Misery, the new season of Castle Rock is fantastic. Lizzie Caplan is killing it as Annie Wilkes.

It’s separate from the first season right?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Garbage sequels is what makes Friday the 13th wonderful

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Lurdiak posted:

Making analogies on this subforum is pretty perilous, because half the time you're going to get someone saying "I loved Batman and Robin, Exorcist 2 AND Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, so this movie sound right up my alley!"

That's why I try to stick to similes and metaphors. I've yet to have someone reply that they love eating a pile of rhino poo poo.

I don’t know if I’d say I love eating it but...

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

gey muckle mowser posted:

From a Buick 8 is one of those King books that sounds dumb as hell but is actually pretty decent. At least I thought so when I read it over a decade ago.

Ive been reading through King’s stuff, and after like 1992 I’m unsure in what is worth reading after that other than a few suggestions (11/22/63, Revival, Doctor Sleep although this thread seems against it for the most part) so anything worth catching after Dolores Claiborne, according to everyone here?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Franchescanado posted:

I'm laughing at all the posers in this thread that aren't listening to the podcast In Myers We Trust. Only posers don't want to listen to 4 hour episodes of cozy conversation about each Halloween film.

They did two episodes for Part 6, for the theatrical and producers cut, so that's more like 7 hours.

The H20 episode is pretty fun, because they make a lot of comparisons of H20 to Friday the 13th Part 2, since both are directed by Steve Miner.

edit: I could be wrong, but in Jason X, doesn't the doctor mention he's blind in his eye when she cuts the mask off his face and starts digging in his head with forceps?

Everyone should also listen to the previous one, In Voorhees We Trust

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Franchescanado posted:

Yes, absolutely. And informative, like going into explanations and fan theories about Jason's deformities and why he wears masks.

Also, it's just really funny. Paul Rust and Matt Gourley would be wonderfully entertaining people to talk horror movies with.

It’s because of that show that there’s finally a suitable fan theory for how Jason drowned in 1 but didn’t really and lived in the woods (the butt worm from Jason Goes to Hell went into the corpse and reanimated it).

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Speaking of the Willard Remake, enjoy Crispin Glover singing Michael Jackson’s Ben to R Lee Ermey and Hitler.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YTKNahASSDI

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Franchescanado posted:

Seconding the Maniac remake. Really disturbed me the first time I saw it. Really impressed with Elijah Wood on that one, and how well the cinematography and direction made me feel implicit with the crimes I'm watching.

It’s honestly one of my favorite horror films. I put it up there with Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer and Rosemary’s Baby in that way they make you just feel so bad.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Drunkboxer posted:

The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill easily, but I love them all.

I watched Creepshow and Creepshow 2 on my wedding day with my groomspeople while we waited til we needed to go to the venue, and I think this was the consensus for the best (with the cockroach one being the one that had almost everyone but me going NO NO NO WHAT THE gently caress)

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Lurdiak posted:

The Raft blows. Creepshow 2 would probably not get included in my Halloween marathon every year if it didn't pair so well with the first one, it's a really big step down. I mean it's still good, but the first two segments are insanely dragged out, and there's not enough variety, and the animation on the framing device is godawful.

Rewatching The Raft after having just finished reading the story really shows how much pacing can change a story. They both hit pretty much the same points, but the short story really makes a meal out of lengthening the time that they’re out there and really lays on how hopeless the situation is, while the segment blows so fast through everything.

Plus you don’t get the main characters thoughts so you just see a dude swim to a raft then IMMEDIATELY start screaming about how this...black trashbag pile is alive.

(I still love the ending of the Creepshow one more, though)

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Franchescanado posted:

I remember watching Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments growing up, and they chose the ending to Don't Look Now to be pretty high on the list. Had never heard of it before, and while they completely spoil the surprise, it effectively sold me on the movie. Still took me a few years to finally watch it, but it's worth it.

I still love that show. I go back and watch a recording of it sometimes.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Franchescanado posted:

I hope it continues to exist on YouTube in all it's glory. It's a weirdly great piece of programming from a different time in Television, all of the talking heads are interesting choices (which even the sequel series failed at accomplishing), and I have a lot of nostalgia for it. I rewatched it every Halloween season for a few years in a row, easy.

I think the only list show I thought was better was VH1’s 100 Most Shocking Moments in Music, which is next to impossible to find anywhere other than short clips.

And same about the yearly rewatch of the Bravo one. It also brought a lot more films to my awareness so I owe it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

aware of dog posted:

On the topic of slashers, are any of the Sleepaway Camp sequels worth watching?

2 and 3 absolutely are.