Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Acht posted:

Is the original a lot better / different?

Outside of the name, the basic premise, and a few winks and nods, Suspiria 1977 and Suspiria 2018 are completely different movies. Your opinion on one will basically have no bearing whatsoever on your opinion of the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

A lot of Italian horror has a tenuous relationship with reality (often to its benefit, in my opinion), but what's nonsensical about Suspiria? It's a haunted house movie with witches instead of ghosts.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Basebf555 posted:

the main Mount Rushmore guys, so Argento, Bava, and Fulci(we always debate who the fourth should be)

I feel like the only real possibilities are Martino and Deodato.

You could make cases for Lenzi or D'Amato, but... you shouldn't.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Liberal Idiot posted:

Clearly it should be Bruno Mattei.

Mattei, Fragasso and D'Amato are hellworld's Italian Horror Mount Rushmore.

Also I can't believe I forgot Soavi. Though he was far less prolific than the others, and wasn't really a part of the Italian horror boom in the same way the others were.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 6, 2019

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that's what holds him back from being an obvious choice, but he's my personal pick because I really am not a Martino guy. I think he's pretty overrated actually.

The only Martino films I really love are The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh, All the Colors of the Dark, and Torso. His other gialli are fine but nothing amazing, and outside of gialli he was pretty awful, but I love those three movies so much (Mrs Wardh in particular) that he still manages to rank #4 for me (and if I'm totally honest, I like Wardh far more than anything I've seen from Bava).

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Origami Dali posted:

Also, they should make Pinhead an androgynous creature with the high breathy voice of a girl, like in the book.

Tilda Swin-

Drunkboxer posted:

Tilda Swinton, maybe.

Not even remotely surprised I wasn't the first to say this. "Androgynous character who projects both icy detachment and deep perversion with a humorless grace and sense of absolute authority" is so within her skill set it almost feels like cheating to bring her up.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Basebf555 posted:

Tilda Swinton disappointed me for the first time ever, in Suspiria. Maybe it was Guadagnino's direction or something, but her performance was way too low-key and blah for me. I wanted something a bit more overtly pretentious and aristocratic than that. Not necessarily chewing scenery....but ok yea maybe some scenery chewing would've been nice.

I kind of agree, but I think that's because I went in expecting Madame Blanc to be the arch villain the character was in the original, when she was more of a pawn here who was actually supporting Susie. I think Tilda played the character just fine, it just wasn't the character I was expecting it to be from the previous movie and the trailers. She definitely ate all the scenery she could as Helena Markos, though.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think the problem is that it explains enough to explain not enough

Like, if it explained less, the things would be ambiguous enough to make the matters not important, but the explanation ends up removing enough ambiguity that what remains is distracting in its unansweredness

Yep, Us explains enough to kill the intrigue, but not enough to be paint a clear and satisfying picture.

Picnic at Hanging Rock's unpublished (for a long time anyway) final chapter is a good example of the mistake Us makes. You're still left with plenty of questions after the reveal, they're just much duller ones.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Jason Clarke was the only person who seemed to have any idea what kind of movie Serenity (the 2019 Matthew McConaughey movie, not the Firefly one) was turning out to be, so he probably emerged from it the least-embarrassed.

That movie also makes one hell of a triple feature with Collateral Beauty and The Book of Henry.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Now that's a hell of a way to commit suicide

Sometimes you just want to bask in the glow of talented people desperately trying to save the most ill-conceived scripts of their careers.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

mikeycp posted:

i honestly don't care very much for hellbound

don't really know why i guess it maybe just felt like Too Much?

like it's fine. i just don't like it

The goofy doctor puns near the end absolutely kill it for me, like a premonition of where the series was about to go.

And I'm not usually one to turn down a good pun.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

After The Witch and The Lighthouse, I really wish Robert Eggers had been the one to do the It adaptation. He seems to just know New England, and I feel like the themes of It would dovetail nicely with what he's put out so far.

At the very least, he'd definitely be able to take more from the book than "scary clown."

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

CelticPredator posted:

He didn’t so oh well.

What ifs can be fun.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Retro Futurist posted:

Yeah I looked Malignant up and it's just The Dark Half with superpowers? . Be a perfectly good thing to pop on Netflix in a few months

It's all about the execution with this one, the third act just goes for it.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Gotta agree with the people saying The Book of Henry, but Malignant comes awfully close (and as a bonus, it's actually good).

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Origami Dali posted:

I've been thinking about it for a couple of days, and I kinda wish it had leaned just slightly more into self parody before it shifts gears, because it's on the border of being really interesting instead just being fun as hell for a good chunk. Then again, if it were, maybe the latter bit wouldn't have been as effective.

This is where I land. You really need that "does this movie know how stupid it is...?" build for the punchline to work as well as it does.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I remember liking Saw V significantly more than most people did, and Saw VI significantly less.

But also they're all largely the same so I think it comes down to whatever my mood was when I started 'em up.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Hmm

I guess they figured there's only so much they can do with the mythology they've built while keeping it found footage, so they had to ditch one or the other and decided to keep the mythology.

I don't know if that's the right or the wrong way to go here. Paranormal Activity without the mythology is just another one of the dozens of PA ripoffs at this point, so I get not wanting to go that route, and trying to build the mythology entirely on people constantly filming themselves was stretched well beyond its breaking point a few movies ago as it is, but I just can't imagine people being excited about a PA movie that abandons the thing that made it popular in the first place.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Benito Cereno posted:

Any folkies in here watch the new Ben Wheatley joint, In the Earth, on Hulu? It’s been up for the last week or so and I just watched it today. It’s got a strong Nigel Kneale energy with its look at the collision of science and the supernatural, filtered through Wheatley’s penchant for hallucinogenic plants and fungi, layered with contemporary pandemic anxiety, and sprinkled with a soupçon of Heart of Darkness

I dug the concept, but this is one of those movies that really felt like it would have worked much better as part of an anthology with all the fat trimmed out. Too much of the movie is spent writing a check the ending just isn't prepared to cash, and I think you could easily chop out half the running time and lose nothing of significance, including the foreboding atmosphere.

Speaking of endings not living up to the movie preceding them... Come True. Hoo boy. It wasn't the most original story, but it was consistently atmospheric and anybody who has ever suffered from night terrors will definitely have some visceral reactions to parts of this, but the literal final scene does its level best to undermine everything that came before in the worst possible way.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

an owls casket posted:

lol, yeah, I think i tried to warn the thread last year when I saw it. It's very good right up until those last ten seconds, and then it whizzes all the goodwill it spent the last 100 minutes earning right down its leg. It's almost impressive.

I'm not one for fan edits, but I legitimately think you could just cut to credits after the previous scene ends and have a significantly better movie. The final shot defangs the threat, makes the mysteries more mundane, and offers absolutely no extra depth anywhere else in exchange. It's the definition of tacked-on.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Hedrigall posted:

This movie intrigues me from what i've heard about it. I've never suffered sleep paralysis, at least not the vision-inducing kind, but the idea of it terrifies me enough to never ever sleep on my back - I literally haven't since I was a teenager and found out about it. I always sleep on my side. The fear of experiencing sleep paralysis and seeing something (fear of fear itself?) has literally influenced my behaviour for decades. So I'm drawn to this film from the description, as well as that documentary The Nightmare, although I've been too chicken to watch that so far.

I'm also interested in how much the very end ruins the film? Without spoiling anything, does it relieve the dread by presenting a happy ending? Because I'm okay with that. Or is it more of a ridiculous/stupid reveal?

Definitely a stupid reveal.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

ButtHate posted:

I really liked Come True, even though the reveal sucks.
The music is the best part of the movie, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5N5wguYV7o

Oh yeah, I really do want to emphasize that up to the reveal, the movie is fantastic. It has one other part that's... pretty icky in a way that doesn't seem completely intentional, but I'm willing to overlook that scene for how good the rest is. Then the ending comes and makes me wish I turned it off two minutes earlier.

And yeah the music is fantastic, which isn't a surprise considering the writer/director/DP/etc is a musician first and foremost so he did his own score as well.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AKZ posted:

I thought the ending of Come True was ok? Like the fangs were a misdirect for the cell phone message that was like "Holy poo poo she's in a coma/nightmare that the people trying to communicate with her are influencing, maybe inadvertantly, in unpredictable/nightmarish ways and this is now her existence."

Unless I'm misunderstanding it that seems pretty decent and unsettling.

My problem with it is that it's a tired cliche, it adds absolutely nothing to our understanding of the protagonist as a character (which is typically the main benefit of an "it was all a dream" story), and it takes the central mystery ("are these just nightmares or are they something more?") and gives it the blandest possible solution ("they're nightmares").

The last bit is the part that really sticks in my craw: the whole premise is that it's taking a common thing many people experience in their sleep and working with the possibility that it's more than just a sleep-induced hallucination. So to wrap that up with "you're seeing them because you're dreaming" just takes us back to the baseline assumption before the movie started. And all we get in return is the suggestion of why she's dreaming about sleep doctors in the first place, but that was never a question I considered asking and the answer is, again, a mundane age-old cliche. And the movie doesn't build up to it enough as a conclusion to make it feel otherwise earned. If you cut it out entirely then there are no plot or thematic elements that are left dangling which are otherwise solved by making it all a dream.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

On the topic of runtimes, it's funny that I'm always in favor of shorter runtimes for just about everything, especially horror and comedies, and yet one of my favorite horror movies of the past decade is The Wailing, which at over two and a half hours long is the longest non-anthology horror film I've seen.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Inland Empire isn't my favorite Lynch movie, but it is the movie that scared me the most (and not just out of Lynch's films). Everything about it comes together to be profoundly unpleasant and wrong in a way I can't fully articulate, like a sleep paralysis demon in cinematic form.

I absolutely adore it, but I also fully understand how if it doesn't connect with you, it really doesn't connect with you.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

My problem with Final Destination 4 is that it felt a lot meaner than the other movies and it wasn't able to make that work.

As for best death scenes, I don't know if it's the best but the ones that immediately come to mind for me are the final death in Tenebrae and Barry Convex in Videodrome.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The problem with that trailer for The Munsters is that it mistakes looking cheap and lazy for being campy. The original show's presentation was about on par with its contemporaries on TV as far as sitcoms went, and the stuff it was spoofing was indeed cheap and schlocky but in a totally different way. It doesn't look cheap like an old second-billed z-grade horror movie or a lovely beach party movie, it looks cheap like a modern direct-to-Amazon horror flick shot on a buddy's A7sII (I saw someone describe the lighting as "it's like he was aiming for Mario Bava and hit Contrapoints instead" and yeah, that's about right). And while there's room for something to spoof that style, The Munsters ain't it.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's weird that 'cheap-looking' is one of the first criticisms that comes to mind considering this is probably the biggest budget he's ever worked with by far. Supposedly this is a $30-40m movie.

It's definitely an intentional choice on his part, especially since we've seen what he's capable of with far less.

It's just a baffling choice. It's almost like when he decided this was going to be a kids' movie he caught the same "kids movies should look like candy-coated poo poo" bug that infected Robert Rodriguez.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Scuffy_1989 posted:

I'm going to stay with I think it was made to be in black and white.

vs

It honestly is kind of amazing how much better the trailer looks in black and white.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

It does look better in B&W where it feels less garish. I am inclined to say that he probably wanted it B&W but was studio-asked for color.

This is the one part of the trailer that looks awful either way, tbh

The joke also sucks, but to be fair that's totally in keeping with The Munsters. Sometimes a speed ramp and slide whistle was the best it had to offer.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Basebf555 posted:

Again though, this is a sitcom. Is it really that out there to think that it looks like a cheap sitcom because that's what The Munsters was?

The Munsters wasn't notably cheap in any particular way, though. It was a single-camera, shot-on-film sitcom with sets and costumes that matched the quality of its contemporaries. It was cheap in the way that sitcoms were cheap in general, I suppose, but not in a way that especially stood out.

And even if we say that it looked like a cheap sitcom, it definitely didn't look anything like a Disney channel show from right after the transition from analog to digital.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

STAC Goat posted:

Its remaking Munsters as something from flawed memory and reputation instead of what it actually was.

Yeah, this is what I'm saying. The original show wasn't cheap, it was a single camera 35mm production with reasonably complex lighting, sets and costumes for a sitcom of the era. It wasn't expensive by any stretch of the imagination, but I think people are confusing the show itself for some of the things it was spoofing.

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Does digital work in fps or just simulate it?

Digital video is still just a series of pictures in sequence, so yeah it's still FPS.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The_Doctor posted:

Simulates it, you can change the supposed framerate. When Danny Boyle filmed 28 Days Later, he turned up the digital framerate on the zombies to like 10,000fps which gives them the weird jittery movement.

Overcranking and adjusting the shutter angle are both things you could do with film cameras as well, and neither have anything to do with "simulated" FPS. They're still just capturing a series of still images, and playing them back at a different rate than they were captured is a technique as old as film itself (it's how Benny Hill shenanigans and slow motion were, and still are, achieved). 24 FPS is the standard for film projection, and so it's what's recorded most of the time for natural 1:1 timing, but recording at 30 FPS and slowing it down slightly for more dramatic moments or 48/60+ FPS for a big hero shot aren't at all uncommon (the doves in John Woo films aren't that slow in real life). And that's all without getting into material designed to be played at 30 FPS, which frequently uses the same cameras.

(also, the movement in 28 Days Later was achieved by recording at a slightly lower framerate and really cranking up the shutter speed; recording at a really high framerate would result in super slow-mo)

sethsez fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 14, 2022

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Mooseontheloose posted:

That's my point though. It's ok if Rob Zombie wants to make some kitchy non-violent 60s/70s culture piece.

Nobody's bothered by it being campy, some people just think it looks cheap in a low effort "consumer camera with all the settings left on auto" sort of way. If it actually looked like cheap 60s/70s kitsch I think a lot more people would be on board, and failing that it could just look... straightforwardly good, like The Addams Family 90s reboot did (the original shows were on at the same time and had similar production values).

sethsez fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 17, 2022

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

WeaponX posted:

Critiquing, criticizing, and analyzing a film does not interfere with ones enjoyment of said media. Fandom does not get to silence all critical lenses.

I always took that as a reaction to a specific type of smug killjoy rather than a blanket "don't criticize things" statement. It's about people who would rather loudly complain about how bored / annoyed they are by something other people are watching rather than leave and do something else.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Terminator's a weird one in that I think it definitely reads like a slasher on the page and the structural similarities are obvious, but doesn't really feel like one on the screen until the final segment in the factory and a couple isolated moments here and there. It's a bit like how you really don't need to change much to turn Home Alone from a family-oriented comedy to a horrific home invasion thriller... the details and tone can sometimes matter more than the bigger plot elements and structure.

I can see both sides of the argument, and ultimately it feels like it straddles the line too much for me to fully agree or disagree with either. If I had to pin it down I'd personally call it a slasher-influenced action movie, but I get why people would emphasize things differently.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

dorium posted:

English or Italian version of Tenebre for a first time viewing?

English. It's generally dubbed well, and the main characters are American (as are two of the lead actors) so the constant English despite being in Rome makes some sense.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Dave Made a Maze has its strong points, but I don't need to see an independent film about an artistic-but-aimless 30-something manchild being forced to finally face the world by his motley crew of buddies and eternally-patient girlfriend ever again.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I loved the first 95% of Resurrection, and Rebecca Hall is loving incredible throughout, but the ending didn't quite work for me. I admire its ambition, though.

I also think it'd make an interesting and incredibly draining triple feature with Men and Watcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

They/Them is what happens when someone with a sense of shame tries to copy Ryan Murphy.