Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Just gave blood last week, though can do the charity thing instead. I'll pick something out soon but I also want to encourage people not to see it as a one-off blood drive, but a habit to get into. There's a constant need for fresh blood, and for a long list of reasons many people aren't eligible, so steady donors are always welcome. (The same thing is true for these charities, but at least money keeps long-term).

If you want to know general requirements and reasons for deferment, this is a basic list for US donors. Mostly they have to do with your medical history, current medications, or whether you've spent time in places with malaria or mad cow problems. Good news is that men who have had sex with men are no longer lifetime deferments like they used to be. Bad news is, you still have to wait a year. Things like tattoos and piercings depend on on the state you got them in. If the state has compliant regulations to prevent blood-borne illness you're probably good, if not you'll have to wait a year.

If you're not used to blood donation, one thing to know is that depending on your blood type, they might want different components of your blood more than others, such as red cells, platelets, or plasma.

Each of them have a different donation interval, since your body can replace different components at different speeds. You can give whole blood every eight weeks, platelets once a week, and plasma twice a week, allowing you to help more people if you can spare the time. If you give just red cells they take twice as many, so you can give every sixteen weeks. That's a good fit if you can't go often but have the right blood type.

One drawback of all of those is that they take special equipment so not every donation center can do all of them. They might also have additional donor requirements: you need to meet higher height and weight requirements to give red cells, for example.

If that all sounds complicated or if you don't know your type, they'll never pass up whole blood donations either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Here's my RAICES donation: