Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

- Ska du ha maito i kaffet?

Boileau & Narcejac also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maybe they're 50s not 60s. I'm drunk so probate me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Global Disorder posted:

Any French authors you recommend? The only French crime novels I've read are a few Simenon books from the 50s. He's good, though it often feels like he was making it up as he went along.
Fred Vargas. She writes rather basic police stories, but the real highlight is the weird and quirky characters. Nothing groundbreaking, but very pleasant reads. I'd suggest starting with either The Chalk Circle Man or The Three Evangelists as the books form a loose series.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 22, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Fred Vargas. She writes rather basic police stories, but the real highlight is the weird and quirky characters. Nothing groundbreaking, but very pleasant reads. I'd suggest starting with either The Chalk Circle Man or The Three Evangelists as the books form a loose series.

I've only read one Vargas and it was FORESHADOWING FORESHADOWING FORESHADOWING OH MY GOD THIS PRORAGONIST IS DUMB AS poo poo The End. Maybe it was just a bad example? Neptune's Trident or something like that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nah, that's fair. You definitely don't read them for the mystery.

e: Although to be fair, Neptune's Trident isn't a typical example since you know who the killer is from the start.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 23, 2021

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

A lot of the Fred Vargas novels seem to have supernatural elements that turn out to be cover for something else. In this way, they’re a lot like literary Scooby Doo stories.

Last year, I read through all of her books, and I enjoyed all of them except for This Poison Will Remain, mostly because the solution to the mystery was an etymological clue, and the character who would have spotted it immediately at the beginning was sidelined because of a ridiculous and uncharacteristic subplot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I finished The Seven Dials Mystery. It was fun, even though it can't be called a fair play mystery; it gleefully violates Knox's rule #8, and pushes the limits of two other rules to boot.

Much like The Secret of Chimneys, it's a playful genre mashup. If The Secret of Chimneys was The Prisoner of Zenda vs. Arsene Lupin (despite also being a country house mystery), The Seven Dials Mystery is Bertie Wooster vs. The Thirty-Nine Steps. The PG Wodehouse pastiche is quite well-done, actually. The ending is reminiscent of a certain other well-known early-20th-century novel, but of course saying which would be a major spoiler.