Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
So it very much shows its age, and Chesterton was old fashioned, a strict Catholic who thought the world was going to hell and could be pretty chauvinistic, but I recommend his Father Brown stories. Father Brown is a Cathomic priest who uses his knowledge of people, his religious background, and his willingness to look behind social convention to solve crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Megazver posted:

I've read the first, uh, five books, I think. They're pretty good and also fairly stand-alone - it's the usual mystery series deal where it's mysteries of the week interspersed with ongoing relationship stuff.

I read a bunch of them. They're not bad. But near the end, the narrative voice got on my nerves, and I started finding Falco pretty insufferable.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, on review, I'm starting to get really tired with Ngaio Marsh's take on the nobility. Death in a White Tie is a good mystery, but in retrospect it's hard to take seriously the suffering of a woman who's 'straining herself to the utmost' by giving too many very expensive parties.

I wonder how much of that sort of thing is meant as wish fulfillment/voyeurism for the reader? The reader can see how the other half lives, and fantasize themselves in a world of rich people who dress well and throw fancy parties.