Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just finished The Big Nowhere and I cannot believe how much Nic Pizzolatto lifted from this book for True Detective Season 2. It’s basically an Otherworlds version of it and I cannot believe he did it after the shade he got for plagiarizing portions of the first season. Anyway, it’s a really, really good book and I’m glad I decided to read the LA Quartet in the correct order. It kills me that Upshaw could have closed the case on the first day, but I wonder if Ellroy is making a point on the nature of clues and tunnel vision when he has the killer be the only source of information on the first victim’s homosexuality while every other character Upshaw meets reinforces that he wasn’t. Typing that out, I guess it could be as simple as Upshaw’s own homosexuality affecting his judgement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I should really start keeping a log. I’ve found myself midway through a ton of Larry Niven and other sci fi author’s work only to realize I was guessing the plot so well because I’d already read it :doh:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really liked BBC’s Full Cast radio adaptations of Christie’s work as well as the David Suchet TV series, so I decided to pick up some Agatha Christie novels... they were not well written.

The radio adaptations are where it’s at.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just finished Ellroy's Underworld USA Trilogy. While there wasn't a mystery component to most of the series (which I missed, having finished the LA Quartet), I really liked how Ellroy introduced the emerald heist in the prologue in the final installment. The entire prologue is just 3 pages but the level of violence and intrigue (as well as the mysterious emeralds that kept appearing throughout the novel) scratched that itch.

Ellroy is 3/4's through the Second LA Quartet and I have avoided reading anything about them, however the few stray comments I have read suggests that he has fully embraced his Tarantino reputation and I'm worried that Perfidia, This Storm, and the rest won't be the detective novels I was hoping they would be.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Perfidia has a murder mystery as far as I can recall.

Great!

Weird Request Time: I bought a copy of Ellroy’s LA Noir trilogy off Amazon and it came without a dust jacket. This is a small thing, but drives me nuts. I thought I could, since I’m half decent at it, create a linocut inspired by the trilogy to print on the front.

I don’t want to spoil any of the plot for myself (and creating a “blind cover” actually sounds kind of fun tbh), so I was wondering if anyone who has read the Hopkins Trilogy could identify some imagery that I could incorporate into a custom cover. Any ideas??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have summers off and have down time now, but probably won’t when the school year starts. It takes me forever to read novels because most of my time is spent with essays and short stories haha

Edit: I guess it makes more sense to just look at a couple of the original book covers and work from there

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 5, 2021