Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Per the suggestions in the Clash Royale thread, just throwing this up so we have a place to congregate and get a group forming.

Brawl Stars is Supercell's (Clash Royale, Clash of Clans) new top down cowboy themed shooter. You select a brawler from a cast of characters ranging from Luchadors to Miners to Cacti in a variety of modes ranging from 3v3 Gem Hunt (first to 10 wins), Bounty Mode (straight PVP I believe) and of course the 2018 mandatory Battle Royale.

It has been live a few places for almost a year now I think, so there is loads of starter content out there on Youtube and Reddit but most people you'll encounter are starting fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
We have a Brawl Stars chapter of Goonstache now, feel free to request an invite. Just make sure to say something goony in your request.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
2poor4gems is active as well.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'll be interested to see how things shape out in another week or so once people get comfortable with the mechanics. Right now Gem Hold seems to boil down to whose pubbys back out as soon as they take damage first and then who can hold the middle. Not to say I haven't seen a few clutch plays where someone gets a super off in enemy territory for the kill and steal but a decent amount of games feel one sided at the moment.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I've demanded entry as user MANDRAKE, I'm not good at this game but that's not stopped me before.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Someone told me to check this dumb mobile game out. I haven't lost a game yet because pubbies are loving terrible. I have applied to Goonstache and am prepared to go pro.

edit: gently caress I got stomped right after posting that just ban me now.

siggy2021 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 13, 2018

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Still trying to get a feel for the movement, it is like trying to drive someone on ice.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm giving Supercell another shot. Their games are nice at first, before the blinding rage and self-loathing take hold.

Still don't miss CoC/CR one bit.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Joined 2poor4gems as Androk. Please do not purge me (yet).

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Joined 2poor4gems as Shazbot

game is fun, shotgun newbs in the face

solo showdown as shelly/bull is fun due to aforementioned shotgun surgeries

e: to be clear about this, there is autoaim (just tap the attack instead of holding to see the cone) which will target the nearest enemy and fire directly at it; while that sucks at range, it rocks when you're close up, with a shotgun, and especially with shelly's super, which is a BIGGER shotgun, and also if you have ammo, you can fire about as fast as you can tap when it comes to shelly and bull (though apparently there's some kind of attack speed stat that isn't shown but is apparent when playing different brawlers)

I want that fire-flinger dude though

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 14, 2018

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I want that fire-flinger dude though

If you're talking about the robot Molotov tosser, you get him for free by signing in with your Supercell account (which is free to make).

I've been enjoying him. You can adjust the distance you toss, and it's pretty good for zoning out areas or lighting the bushes on fire.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

incogneato posted:

If you're talking about the robot Molotov tosser, you get him for free by signing in with your Supercell account (which is free to make).

I've been enjoying him. You can adjust the distance you toss, and it's pretty good for zoning out areas or lighting the bushes on fire.

Also his attacks go over walls, so stay behind a wall and lob molotovs over with near impunity.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

I wish there was an option to tap on the screen to attack.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
Applied to 2Poor4Gems as Riller.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Kill All Humans posted:

I wish there was an option to tap on the screen to attack.

There is. Tapping the shoot button, or somewhere near it, auto-aims and shoots the nearest enemy. Obviously not so good for long-range brawlers but for shotgunners it works well.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Poco is my poo poo but I wish you could swap your brawler based on who your pub teammates are.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
So far I like Nita and Barley. I just found Poco but I haven't tried him yet.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I want that Poco special power. Sounds amazingly my jam. I love healing idiots!!!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I've seen Poco billed primarily as support but I'm actually 2-0 in the Battle Royales by playing conservative and using the super to win 1v1s.

Waiting to get my hands on Pam whose super is an AoE heal circle it looks like.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I've been leveling all my brawlers to level 5 or 6 to pump up my trophies for the rewards. Should I be grinding them to 9 right away instead for the special power unlock?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

From what I've gathered, the specials are tied to the power levels not the rank, so really as long as you're gaining trophies and opening chests they should hit 9 eventually from power points.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
It really sucks that they removed the daily free brawl box just few days before the game was released globally.

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015
Applied to 2poor4games as Guacboiii.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

BoldFace posted:

There is. Tapping the shoot button, or somewhere near it, auto-aims and shoots the nearest enemy. Obviously not so good for long-range brawlers but for shotgunners it works well.

I know about that, I meant like tapping on a particular part of the screen and your character will attack in that direction. My (slight) issue with the game is that it can be difficult to rapid fire precision shots at long range, because between shots there's a delay where you have to tap and drag then readjust your aim.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Is it 2Poor4Gems or 2poor4gems? Cause one has significantly less players (one)

Applied to 2Poor4Gems as Sodie Pops

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I’m starting to really like this game.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Me too. Poco is really fun. I didn't play the beta for very long because it kinda sucked on The iPhone SE's tiny screen

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Joined 2poor4gems as 49. Doing well as EL PRIMO, that elbow drop just fucks poor little nooblets up

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
Just applied as Niknudstunod

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Think the initial rankings have bots in em, either that or the players are really stupid.

Anyone interested in a discord channel?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Trip report : Penny is hilarious. Put your turret in some bushes behind a wall and pubbies seem unable to deal with it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Sent a request as FirstGeR cause I have fat fingers.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Putty posted:

Think the initial rankings have bots in em, either that or the players are really stupid.

Anyone interested in a discord channel?

I don't know if there are bots, but I do know there are plenty of stupid players. I have encountered so many people in gem grab that apparently think you win by having a lot of kills and will go out of their way to avoid picking up gems or will run straight into the enemy if they have accidentally picked gems up.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

NPR Journalizard posted:

Trip report : Penny is hilarious. Put your turret in some bushes behind a wall and pubbies seem unable to deal with it.

I'm having a ton of fun with her on wider showdown maps. I've been repeatedly killing Bulls that try to take a crate gem while I'm on the opposite side of them, and I generally do well if I don't die in the opening rush.

CliffyBMine!
Oct 2, 2006

Epic Megagames? I'm Epic MegaGAY!
Applied to 2Poor4Gems as dahouss

This game is crazy fun, and seems way less dependent on microtransactions than previous supercell games

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CliffyBMine! posted:

Applied to 2Poor4Gems as dahouss

This game is crazy fun, and seems way less dependent on microtransactions than previous supercell games

I dunno, I haven't been playing all that long and I'm already way low on coins and have a bunch of brawlers to upgrade.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I got to 1000 trophies and now I'm out of new Trophy Road brawlers to try and things are becoming a slog. My only Super Rare is Darryl who sucks. I don't care what Reddit nerds say about him.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

NPR Journalizard posted:

I dunno, I haven't been playing all that long and I'm already way low on coins and have a bunch of brawlers to upgrade.

I hope you haven't been buying the brawler point deals from the shop.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BoldFace posted:

I hope you haven't been buying the brawler point deals from the shop.

I was, but I have largely stopped, just getting the rare ones now. Why, was this bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

NPR Journalizard posted:

I was, but I have largely stopped, just getting the rare ones now. Why, was this bad?

They're just the worst value deals in the entire game.