Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

We'll wait for your e-mail after the meeting containing all the things you didn't voice during it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Spent thirty minutes in the bathroom avoiding a sprint planning meeting only to come back to find out this poo poo is scheduled for TWO loving HOURS.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
How do people like this even look their children in the eyes

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Sjs00 posted:

How do people like this even look their children in the eyes

Office workers have evolved/devolved way past needing eyes, so their kids don't have any. Little translucent creatures, no bigger than your thumb.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Icochet posted:

Office workers have evolved/devolved way past needing eyes, so their kids don't have any. Little translucent creatures, no bigger than your thumb.

A most satisfying answer I'll need a full report on my desk by the end of the

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Willias posted:

Okay guys, this meeting is to sign off on this document that was sent out to you a week and a half ago. I asked for any input to make sure that the document is correct, and no one sent me any emails back, so this should be a quick meeting!

*it's a 10 page document*

*no one has read the document*

*about 3 managers complain about every other line*

*meeting takes an hour and a half when it was slotted for for an hour*

Haha, okay guys, I'll make the necessary changes and email the document back out.

*spend 30 minutes updating document, send email with new document out to managers again, never get sign offs*

About six months later, from an app dev lead: "Hey, so did you ever get that document made, looks like it's a couple months overdue and I'm being asked why we don't have it yet"

:morning:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Just got done installing the new hardware in your conference rooms. Now Management will know who has entered the room, how long they were there, who participated in the meeting, and the average mood of everyone in the meeting. This is now live on video conferencing as well. Next quarter it will be implemented on your workstation so that management can get a "workplace happiness" report.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

JEEVES420 posted:

Just got done installing the new hardware in your conference rooms. Now Management will know who has entered the room, how long they were there, who participated in the meeting, and the average mood of everyone in the meeting. This is now live on video conferencing as well. Next quarter it will be implemented on your workstation so that management can get a "workplace happiness" report.

*If you don't hit your Workplace Happiness rating quota, it's a disciplinary

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Songbearer posted:

*If you don't hit your Workplace Happiness rating quota, it's a disciplinary

Can you come down to HR's office?

"Song, it has come to our attention that you are lowering our workplace average causing a drop in the 'Best companies to work for' on Linkedin. We are going to have to let you go, here is 1 weeks severance pay if you sign this non compete (to include any and all remotely related industries). Thanks and remember to smile as you are packing your things."

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Wicker Man posted:

:Tries to play it cool while trying not to side glance secretary's jahoobies:

:stares directly at co-workers tits and zones out for entire meeting:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Lincoln posted:

:stares directly at co-workers tits and zones out for entire meeting:

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.
Sits in a 3 hour meeting about equality and being inclusive to minorities that basically amounts to management justifying hiring people from outside the company for the major new division opening up. Instead of internally like they have been saying for 8 months.

At the obligatory 'are there any questions' phase that no one is suppose to ask questions in, someone points out that *enter how they are of the target minority HR is looking to hire* and wants to know why he was passed up for promotion as a minority.

Management and HR have no idea what to do and are furiously typing on their phones while saying hold on and then quickly ending the meeting.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
  • Meeting 1: Finance people bring in data guy about consolidating company data stored in a large amount of separate Excel spreadsheets. Wants proposals for three possible Excel-based solutions.

• Meeting 2: Data guy presents options; is met with stares from finance people because it was apparently expected that the consultant would be the one to actually choose one. Finance people scold data guy for lack of initiative, schedule another meeting for data guy to present his solution.

• Meeting 3: Data guy explains that if it's actually up to him, that Excel is not an appropriate platform for this task and advocates a database solution. Finance wants to think this over; schedules another meeting.

• Meeting 4: Finance people explain that they're not looking to "overhaul" their process and moreover that they're an "Excel house"; opt to proceed with an Excel solution

• Multiple daily meetings over the next few weeks: Finance people continually request more features from Excel solution that require complex formulas and VB coding in order to provide functionality that would have come in the box with a database.

• Meeting # Whatever: Project has run overschedule and overbudget and development has to come to an abrupt end. Data guy expresses regret he did not push harder/make a stronger case for the database; is met with the response: "Yeah but we're an Excel house."

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

*zones out during meeting and fantasizes about getting a job where I work with my hands and put in a long hard day’s work, get injured on the job, collect scant disability benefits, get addicted to opioids, OD on fentanyl, and only get found when neighbors start complaining about the smell*

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
Hi Joe, Larry, Ravi, and Raj, since you're all here getting coffee let's stand and discuss what we did over the weekend. no need to find a room or sit at one of the many empty tables - right here in front of the cream and sugar is fine.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

lizardman posted:

• Meeting 1: Finance people bring in data guy about consolidating company data stored in a large amount of separate Excel spreadsheets. Wants proposals for three possible Excel-based solutions.

• Meeting 2: Data guy presents options; is met with stares from finance people because it was apparently expected that the consultant would be the one to actually choose one. Finance people scold data guy for lack of initiative, schedule another meeting for data guy to present his solution.

• Meeting 3: Data guy explains that if it's actually up to him, that Excel is not an appropriate platform for this task and advocates a database solution. Finance wants to think this over; schedules another meeting.

• Meeting 4: Finance people explain that they're not looking to "overhaul" their process and moreover that they're an "Excel house"; opt to proceed with an Excel solution

• Multiple daily meetings over the next few weeks: Finance people continually request more features from Excel solution that require complex formulas and VB coding in order to provide functionality that would have come in the box with a database.

• Meeting # Whatever: Project has run overschedule and overbudget and development has to come to an abrupt end. Data guy expresses regret he did not push harder/make a stronger case for the database; is met with the response: "Yeah but we're an Excel house."

I think we work for the same company!

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

tuyop posted:

I think we work for the same company!

My God, they still haven't learned?!

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kwosge posted:

Sits in a 3 hour meeting about equality and being inclusive to minorities that basically amounts to management justifying hiring people from outside the company for the major new division opening up. Instead of internally like they have been saying for 8 months.

At the obligatory 'are there any questions' phase that no one is suppose to ask questions in, someone points out that *enter how they are of the target minority HR is looking to hire* and wants to know why he was passed up for promotion as a minority.

Management and HR have no idea what to do and are furiously typing on their phones while saying hold on and then quickly ending the meeting.

If this is exactly how it went down it's hosed up (and hilarious) and multiple levels.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Yeah, let's table that
Let's touch base when you land.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
value add opportunity

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Close friend of mine worked for a company for 15 years and literally built their database from the ground up.

Company gets bought out and new boss schedules a meeting with the higher ups and asks what programs and apps they use. Colleague names my friend's database and this guy literally says "Oh, THAT! That program is garbage! Never use that!"

To a proprietary, in-house program that only this company has ever used. So dude instantly looks like a complete moron. Tells my friend that they need to invest in whatever hot program of the year was available at the time and asks if they can modify it to do all the stuff the current system can do. Friend tells them it could take years to work out all the bugs and kinks out of it and it'd really be better to try and add whatever they wanted to the current system. Dude ain't having it. This goes back and forth for a few months.

Shocker of shockers, they lay off my friend during a downsize a few months later. Say they don't need them because everything runs fine without them. The rest of the team can handle it. Stereotypical "what do we pay you for if everything is running smoothly" bs.

Skip to two years later and my friend is checking the job section and sees that their position is still available. Decides to apply for their old job for shits and giggles.

Dude at interview loses his poo poo when he finds out that this person sitting in front of them is the person who designed the system they work with. Says that whoever fired my friend was a complete moron(and apparently no longer with the company) and they want her back ASAP because no one has been able to do her job effectively ever since she left. Pay raise included to sweeten the deal.

Happy ending right?

A year and a half later, my friend has to go on disability due to serious health problems. But oops, all the years she worked before being laid off don't count so she only gets the kind of coverage any other person who's worked for 12 months gets. Not the package she would have gotten had she never been laid off.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

:capitalism:

opie
Nov 28, 2000

lizardman posted:

If this is exactly how it went down it's hosed up (and hilarious) and multiple levels.
That sort of happened to me. Management blamed IT for not posting the job req internally and claimed to be very surprised that I didn't apply for it before they were forced to hire an external non-minority.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I have had that exact poo poo happen to me except it was in a chain of restaurants run by my extended family. My cousin who I consider my older brother was showing me how to calculate labor one day and showed me how it goes up by about 1.5% when he adds in my hourly rate after all the other employees and after a busyish lunch.
"drat bro you're expensive!" He joked.
I loving no called the next day gently caress you dude you're paying me ten a loving hour

opie
Nov 28, 2000
In my case it was the result of an acquisition where half the company was new management and wanted their own guys. When the old management heard about what happened they lost their poo poo and scrambled to get me to not quit. I was one of three people on this product development team and the only one left who knew how it worked, and we had already sold the product to several big customers. It was a poo poo show and one of my big regrets in life was taking the big raise and not quitting for maximum gently caress you impact.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Close friend of mine worked for a company for 15 years and literally built their database from the ground up.

Company gets bought out and new boss schedules a meeting with the higher ups and asks what programs and apps they use. Colleague names my friend's database and this guy literally says "Oh, THAT! That program is garbage! Never use that!"

To a proprietary, in-house program that only this company has ever used. So dude instantly looks like a complete moron. Tells my friend that they need to invest in whatever hot program of the year was available at the time and asks if they can modify it to do all the stuff the current system can do. Friend tells them it could take years to work out all the bugs and kinks out of it and it'd really be better to try and add whatever they wanted to the current system. Dude ain't having it. This goes back and forth for a few months.

Shocker of shockers, they lay off my friend during a downsize a few months later. Say they don't need them because everything runs fine without them. The rest of the team can handle it. Stereotypical "what do we pay you for if everything is running smoothly" bs.

Skip to two years later and my friend is checking the job section and sees that their position is still available. Decides to apply for their old job for shits and giggles.

Dude at interview loses his poo poo when he finds out that this person sitting in front of them is the person who designed the system they work with. Says that whoever fired my friend was a complete moron(and apparently no longer with the company) and they want her back ASAP because no one has been able to do her job effectively ever since she left. Pay raise included to sweeten the deal.

Happy ending right?

A year and a half later, my friend has to go on disability due to serious health problems. But oops, all the years she worked before being laid off don't count so she only gets the kind of coverage any other person who's worked for 12 months gets. Not the package she would have gotten had she never been laid off.

Why she didn't negotiate retaining her previous years of seniority? They gave her a raise you'd think that they would've given that too...

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*i shouldnt have go for drinks with that lady
*i shouldnt have had sex with that lady

after the meeting
*hey what are you doing on friday?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Reign Of Pain posted:

Why she didn't negotiate retaining her previous years of seniority? They gave her a raise you'd think that they would've given that too...

I honestly don't know. I never dug too deep as it was kind of a sore spot for her.

Though a part of me suspects she simply neglected to do it, or assumed that'd be the case, because when it happened I remember her being pretty blindsided by it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

"Horus, we are going to transition you into a new role in a different department, and move your current roles and responsibilities onto the teams you currently work with. Let's have a meeting to plan out your daily tasks".

*Proceeds to have meeting where all the poo poo I do and all the teams I interact with are mapped out, watch as my team leader and manager get increasingly more nervous as they realize the amount of work they'll be dumping on other teams*
*Other teams FLIP THE gently caress OUT and basically say "that's a no from me dog, don't give a gently caress what you say" to doing the work, putting the company's ISO cert at risk*

"Horus your transfer is delayed until further notice"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DoctorGonzo posted:

*i shouldnt have go for drinks with that lady
*i shouldnt have had sex with that lady

after the meeting
*hey what are you doing on friday?

Let's get completos

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

"Horus, we are going to transition you into a new role in a different department, and move your current roles and responsibilities onto the teams you currently work with. Let's have a meeting to plan out your daily tasks".

*Proceeds to have meeting where all the poo poo I do and all the teams I interact with are mapped out, watch as my team leader and manager get increasingly more nervous as they realize the amount of work they'll be dumping on other teams*
*Other teams FLIP THE gently caress OUT and basically say "that's a no from me dog, don't give a gently caress what you say" to doing the work, putting the company's ISO cert at risk*

"Horus your transfer is delayed until further notice"

Your transfer to a other company is delayed only as long as you're willing for it to be delayed.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Your transfer to a other company is delayed only as long as you're willing for it to be delayed.

Trust me friend, my resume is polished. I'm waiting another 9 months or so until I have the requirements to write for some certs and then we'll see.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I loving hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate our loving dumbass business partners. That is all.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
*knows to use right arrow to advance Powerpoint slide*

*Cannot fathom using left arrow to go back*

"Oh, whoops wrong side, how do I go back haha"

*Clicks mouse button, slide advances further"

*Nervously shakes mouse, right clicks but doesn't see 'previous slide' option, eventually hits ESC to close presentation and go back to previous slide before restarting*

*Does this every couple months*

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
*plugs projector cable into laptop, desktop immediately appears on the wall*

"Uh, it worked. On the first try."

*there's an uncomfortable silence*

"I'm... scared. Is there another room we can use?"

*everyone flees to the next room.*

*plugs cable. A "No signal" text appears on the wall*

"Oh thank god."

*starts wiggling cable and trying to find Windows' display settings*

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I just spent an hour and a half meeting about our company's growth plan for the next three years yesterday I and couldn't have given less of a gently caress. Thankfully I got a seat in the back corner so I could just lean up against the walls and pretend I was paying attention.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I loving hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate ha...

I'll have to stop you right here, sorry. We have a meeting this Thursday, you can add this to the agenda, and we'll discuss this with everyone, okay? I just don't want anyone miss on your feedback. Sounds like it's important.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Infidel Castro posted:

I just spent an hour and a half meeting about our company's growth plan for the next three years yesterday I and couldn't have given less of a gently caress. Thankfully I got a seat in the back corner so I could just lean up against the walls and pretend I was paying attention.

I didn’t know I had a coworker in this thread

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Infidel Castro posted:

You got off light, we did this last week and it took SEVEN HOURS. For a "department" of four people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlbrL1H1ngs