Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
The point is to steal something and then start doing your own thing with it. That's where new stuff comes from rather than the creative ether.
Literally just aping stuff and not changing anything about it or making it personalized is abject garbage lol.

And this is what all those fancy quotes actually mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Big Data posted:

I understand all of that. Greta Van Fleet isn't so much borrowing or being influenced by a range of bands so much as literally trying to sound like them. They're selling out shows because people are sad that Zeppelin stopped touring.

yeah again that's exactly the same thing as what the Stones started out doing, they were intentionally copying the sound of American blues artists for an audience of people who wanted to hear that stuff live but couldn't or wouldn't for a variety of reasons

I'm not saying it's a good thing but rather just a basic element of art that has both good and bad ramifcations, it no way new and not at all "weird". in the music world its about as far from weird as one can get, its extremely normal. the complaints about it are also extremely common of course, though it is telling that such complaints always focus on newer bands and ignore the history of the trend, just as listeners of artists like elvis presley and frank sinatra will unironically complain about newer artists "not even writing their own songs"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Earwicker posted:

yeah again that's exactly the same thing as what the Stones started out doing, they were intentionally copying the sound of American blues artists for an audience of people who wanted to hear that stuff live but couldn't or wouldn't for a variety of reasons

I'm not saying it's a good thing but rather just a basic element of art that has both good and bad ramifcations, it no way new and not at all "weird". in the music world its about as far from weird as one can get, its extremely normal. the complaints about it are also extremely common of course, though it is telling that such complaints always focus on newer bands and ignore the history of the trend, just as listeners of artists like elvis presley and frank sinatra will unironically complain about newer artists "not even writing their own songs"

loving nobody would praise or care about the Rolling Stones if they had stopped at doing just that and made it their whole thing.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
As far as I know there are only dadrock albums.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I realize I'm making myself an easy target here.. but any Tool album, especially 10,000 days. It all flows from one end to the next.

Also, the Megas: get acoustic album is loving art. It's essentially a rock Opera about MegaMan and it's amazing. I don't even like MegaMan all that much.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Grape posted:

loving nobody would praise or care about the Rolling Stones if they had stopped at doing just that and made it their whole thing.

except doing that was exactly why people cared about them in the first place.

they didn't start doing their own thing until they had already built an audience (and gone through some lineup changes). starting out as a covers band and then a very derivative blues band is what gave them an audience in the first place.

Divine Styler
Apr 8, 2005

quantum mechanic
The correct answer is clearly OK Computer, Aenima and Illmatic. Although I see a lot of good nominations ITT. Wish You Were Here, Melancholy, Aja, Legend, etc. Good effort.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Drunk Nerds posted:

It's fine if you don't like a genre, or a band, or even a generation. Just stay out of the albums that fall into those categories. This thread seems to be about people who like the genre and the band saying, "wellllll... Abbey Road may be one of the best albums of all time... but man Maxwell's Silver Hammer sucks."

We're getting hypercritical, here, not just vaguely critical

I think you need to re-read the thread title. Perfect albums can’t have a bad song on them.

That’s why the only two perfect albums are Aloha from Hawaii and Talking Book.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Earwicker posted:

they didn't start doing their own thing until they had already built an audience (and gone through some lineup changes). starting out as a covers band and then a very derivative blues band is what gave them an audience in the first place.

This is definitely changing a bit with modern, solo or unknown bands, especially with the internet. A number of artists I've played with have done the same thing as me, working in our home studios for years, stealing ideas from other bands and refining them, sharing the tracks in insular communities.

Eventually, a more unique sound evolves, and the artists gravitate towards each other and eventually drop an album that's a newer take on an old idea.

It'll probably never lead to the kind of success that would make a million people say it's a perfect album, but the touring bands in the SDS/modern metal genres tend to have hardcore followings, and the forum farm team thing that's going on has really opened up the industry to new talent.

It also sort of avoids the "the first albums are ripping off so and so", as the artists did that years before anything had a real public reach.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

The Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We’re Gone? is perfect, but the 2014 reissue is somehow even better.

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018

Earwicker posted:

Yeah these kids aren't the stones. They reached deep into the past for a certain sound and they're not adding anything to it. Maybe that'll change someday but I don't have a crystal ball.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Big Data posted:

Yeah these kids aren't the stones. They reached deep into the past for a certain sound and they're not adding anything to it. Maybe that'll change someday but I don't have a crystal ball.

You keep missing the point, I'm not saying these kids will necessarily turn out like the Stones, odds are they will not. My point is that young bands copying the sound of older bands is not a "weird musical trend" at all, it is and always has been an extremely normal, common musical trend.

the Rolling Stones were not remotely the only group of British kids copying American blues artists in the 60's, but they were one of the most successful which is what allowed them to go on and be more creative and have the career that they did. Most of the others have long been forgotten. but they certainly existed and were locally popular at the time, and if you look around you will find that this has been going on constantly more or less everywhere. again in the music world this is about as far from "weird" as it is possible to get.

also with Led Zeppelin in particular, it is very ironic for anyone to complain about their sound being ripped off because what Zeppelin did was far more than just copying the sound of earlier bands, they were straight up plagiarists. that is another level.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 6, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

I think you need to re-read the thread title. Perfect albums can’t have a bad song on them.

Agreed, I see now that I wasn't very clear.

If you do have a bad song you want to point out, please provide some criticism beyond "I didn't like it." If popularity were enough to evaluate art, Jurassic World would win the oscar.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Oscars are bought and paid for.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Muswell Hillbillies / Hounds of Love / Deltron 3030

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018

Earwicker posted:

You keep missing the point, I'm not saying these kids will necessarily turn out like the Stones, odds are they will not. My point is that young bands copying the sound of older bands is not a "weird musical trend" at all, it is and always has been an extremely normal, common musical trend.

the Rolling Stones were not remotely the only group of British kids copying American blues artists in the 60's, but they were one of the most successful which is what allowed them to go on and be more creative and have the career that they did. Most of the others have long been forgotten. but they certainly existed and were locally popular at the time, and if you look around you will find that this has been going on constantly more or less everywhere. again in the music world this is about as far from "weird" as it is possible to get.

also with Led Zeppelin in particular, it is very ironic for anyone to complain about their sound being ripped off because what Zeppelin did was far more than just copying the sound of earlier bands, they were straight up plagiarists. that is another level.

I'm not missing the point. I understand what you are saying and still see a major difference between the stones covering contemporary (to them) blues artists and a modern band imitating a specific band that died 20 years before they were born. I'm not complaining about them ripping off LZ, I simply see no reason to bother listening to GVZ if that's the sound you're looking for since LZ were a better band anyway.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Big Data posted:

I'm not missing the point. I understand what you are saying and still see a major difference between the stones covering contemporary (to them) blues artists and a modern band imitating a specific band that died 20 years before they were born. I'm not complaining about them ripping off LZ, I simply see no reason to bother listening to GVZ if that's the sound you're looking for since LZ were a better band anyway.

American post-war blues was not contemporary music when the stones were starting out. Some of the American r&b they copied was more contemporary.

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018
Really splitting hairs here at this point. Some of the earliest stuff might be a stretch.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Big Data posted:

I simply see no reason to bother listening to GVZ if that's the sound you're looking for since LZ were a better band anyway.

pretty sure the main point of bands like that is people want to hear this kind of music played live by young energetic people who run around on stage, and thats what these guys do, and LZ no longer can.

its not my thing personally but the appeal seems pretty obvious

Big Data posted:

I understand what you are saying and still see a major difference between the stones covering contemporary (to them) blues artists

uh, no. when the Stones started their career in the 60's they were copying and covering artists who started their careers in the 40's. they were not contemporaries, they were copying older musicians that they had loved as teenagers and wanted to sound like.

quote:

and a modern band imitating a specific band that died 20 years before they were born.

its really not a different thing at all, the time difference is slightly wider (partly because LZ had a fairly short career themselves) but it is definitely the same exact concept. kids trying to sound like an older band they idolized, maybe some day they will grow up and get their own sound and maybe they won't, but there is nothing at all "weird" about what this band is doing, again it is the opposite of weird, they are basically yet another Wolf Mother

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018

Earwicker posted:

pretty sure the main point of bands like that is people want to hear this kind of music played live by young energetic people who run around on stage, and thats what these guys do, and LZ no longer can.

its not my thing personally but the appeal seems pretty obvious

uh, no. when the Stones started their career in the 60's they were copying and covering artists who started their careers in the 40's. they were not contemporaries, they were copying older musicians that they had loved as teenagers and wanted to sound like.

its really not a different thing at all, the time difference is slightly wider (partly because LZ had a fairly short career themselves) but it is definitely the same exact concept. kids trying to sound like an older band they idolized, maybe some day they will grow up and get their own sound and maybe they won't, but there is nothing at all "weird" about what this band is doing, again it is the opposite of weird, they are basically yet another Wolf Mother

Just out of curiosity - do you like GVF?

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

London Calling is my favorite album. I think I listened to it seven times in a row while working on my senior project.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ
Garbage Van Fucks.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Can we get hypercritical on 36 Chambers of Death, for a moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-zG9Zh3qr8

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Pararoid posted:

Air - 10 000 Hz Legend
La Roux - La Roux

and it's already been mentioned, but Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique too.

whoa 3 for 3!

Here's my favorite, Double Nickels on the Dime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXdGjdYQh4k

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Big Data posted:

Just out of curiosity - do you like GVF?

not particularly, no. like I said, its not really my thing but I can see the appeal. in any case im talking about the larger trend not just that one band

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Gologle posted:

Bruce Springsteen said it best, but others have also said basically the same thing, is that the key to being a successful artist is to steal somebody else's idea and get away with it.

It was Picasso who said “good artists copy, great artists steal”.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tought it was Stravinsky?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

DoctorGonzo posted:

I tought it was Stravinsky?

He stole it from Springsteen.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

T Bowl posted:

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden

Agreed, yep

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/talk-talk-spirit-of-eden/

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

The Thousandfold Epicentre by The Devil's Blood. Its pretty perfect now I gave it a spin and think of it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I love it when dorks complain about artists sounding like other artists. I mean....there are not unlimited musical instruments. Vocal range can only do so many things. Death metal woodwind would probably be an odd combo and very unsuccessful for example. Reminds me of an episode from this past season of Nathan for You where he tries to help a business avoid paying customs fees by having fire alarms labeled as musical instruments when shipping them overseas. Of course to do that he needed to try creating a semi-successful song featuring a fire alarm. He got it a decent amount of publicity.....but the song was trash.

Dave Grohl said it well in the Foo Fighters documentary - Back and Forth. He said that people were pissed at him for making another record after Cobain passed. That loud drums and guitars is what he does. "What do you want me to do? Make a loving reggae album"?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

loving hell this is excruciating.

Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me
Dirty Three - Ocean Songs

fuckin :laffo:

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me
Dirty Three - Ocean Songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFqbZ_x5yZg

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Gobblecoque posted:

It's bland white music, op

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bob Dylan Highway 61 Revisited

Also foo fighters loving suck and i wish dave grohl would go away

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMCsv-zj56s

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

numberoneposter posted:

Smash Mouth - Fush Yu Mang

Astro Lounge was better than Fush Yu Mang in every way and got totally buried under the All Star avalanche. "Waste" is probably the best song they ever wrote.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Motor Booty Affair is listed on the spreadsheet as Funkadelic, technically it is a Parliament release.

Buzzcocks "Singles Going Steady" is loving terrific. It's a compilation, but the vast majority of the songs are non-album singles so it's not merely skimming the cream of the crop from other releases. It's Buzzcocks' best album.

RIP Pete Shelley.

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 23, 2019

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Listening to the Proclaimers - Sunshine on Leith and gotta say... no bad songs on this one really. But never one that would come to mind if you asked me to name a perfect album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
throughout my travels i have found this to be the best album:

empire of the sun - two vines

not sure which albums, too many good ones:

iced earth
pink floyd
iron maiden
primus
michael jackson
judas priest
gwar
dio
daft punk
gorillaz
lady gaga
eminem
katy perry

there's still many of the artists listed above's music i haven't heard yet

also do you guys think we should bump this thread for further music discussion? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836076