Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The aqua Halloween song is one of the best songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Alive! Alive! O! by Jose Feliciano :cool:
Live at the Cafe Au Go-Go & Soledad Prison - John Lee Hooker
the Band - the Band

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 6, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

RJWaters2 posted:

I think you really need 10-15 years with an album before you can put it to this test. A lot of stuff doesn't hold up a decade later. Also I'm an idiot and wrote Aquarius when I meant Aquarium. Cuba Libre and Goodbye to the Circus aren't great and Bumble Bees is embarrassing even as an Aqua fan. I'll give the person who agreed with me the benefit of the doubt they were thinking of Aquarium too.

None of this is even close to contemporary. Even Lady Gaga is rapidly becoming mom music. People in high school when The Fame came out definitely have primary school age kids by now.

You are old.
:corsair:

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Grape posted:

None of this is even close to contemporary. Even Lady Gaga is rapidly becoming mom music. People in high school when The Fame came out definitely have primary school age kids by now.

You are old.

Oh hon, you have no idea.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Natalie Merchant has 2 perfect albums. The Unplugged album with 10,000 Maniacs and her solo Tigerlily.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

phosdex posted:

Natalie Merchant has 2 perfect albums. The Unplugged album with 10,000 Maniacs and her solo Tigerlily.

I dunno why that unplugged series was so good.

I’d also submit Eric Clapton Unplugged as a perfect album.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
this will be controversial but Workingman's Dead by the Grateful Dead

really none of their jammy side to speak of, probably their most focused album and best songwriting (thanks to Robert Hunter's guidance)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
black peter is boring as gently caress

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Live Free posted:

I am absolutely flabbergasted that no one has mentioned In the Aeroplane Over the Sea yet. The worst thing you can say about it is that Communist Daughter isn't as good as the rest of the album. Is it just such an obvious pick that nobody bothered to bring it up in nearly 25 pages?

Yes. Except that Communist Daughter is one of the best tracks and that Oh Comely is far and away the weakest track.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

this will be controversial but Workingman's Dead by the Grateful Dead

really none of their jammy side to speak of, probably their most focused album and best songwriting (thanks to Robert Hunter's guidance)

the only grateful dead album i find enjoyable to listen to at all is blues for allah, and even on that i only really like help on the way as a studio track

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Upon careful reflection, Gaucho is actually the best and most perfect Steely Dan album- far superior to Aja

Ron Jeremy posted:

I’d also submit Eric Clapton Unplugged as a perfect album.

:sad: and :wrong:

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Big Data posted:

I like fleetwood mac but I refuse to hold up anything the boomer generation did as all time great. There seems to be some weird musical trend where young rock bands completely rip off the sound of classic bands and it's awful. People are loving the poo poo out of it though.

This band sucked back when they went by Wolfmother

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ
Steely Dan is Yacht Rock trash, alongside with the Carpenters.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

ProperCoochie posted:

Yes. Except that Communist Daughter is one of the best tracks and that Oh Comely is far and away the weakest track.

This is wrong as hell. Oh Comely is a top 3 track. I will hunt you to the ends of the earth.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stop making sense

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Live Free posted:

I am absolutely flabbergasted that no one has mentioned In the Aeroplane Over the Sea yet. The worst thing you can say about it is that Communist Daughter isn't as good as the rest of the album. Is it just such an obvious pick that nobody bothered to bring it up in nearly 25 pages?

I could never get into this album. There are people whose opinions I generally respect that like this album, so I always assumed there was something going on here that I just wasn't hearing. But I can't tell if that's the case, or if this is one of those albums that is just plain terrible that everyone likes as a meme.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Hello Rockview by LTJ is probably the perfect album

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Bodyholes posted:

I could never get into this album. There are people whose opinions I generally respect that like this album, so I always assumed there was something going on here that I just wasn't hearing. But I can't tell if that's the case, or if this is one of those albums that is just plain terrible that everyone likes as a meme.

Aeroplane was really good in part because of when it came out and what other music was going on at the time. It's pretty inaccessible if you're going into it blind.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

xtal posted:

Aeroplane was really good in part because of when it came out and what other music was going on at the time. It's pretty inaccessible if you're going into it blind.

I just listened to it for the first time and I can get why it had so much influence. It really is unique as hell and clicks in a way that gives me that 'dark side of the moon' vibe.

Like, the album doesn't have singles - even the songs with catchy hooks are just too weird to be taken on their own - but the whole thing together is really compelling.

I liked it a lot.

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

DoctorGonzo posted:

Stop making sense

Perfect concert film. That and The Last Waltz.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ollu posted:

Perfect concert film. That and The Last Waltz.

Yeah, and queensryche operation: LIVEcrime. Basically the 3 perfect concert movies.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I couldn't call myself a Devo "fan" because much of their work I don't care for but the debut album Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are DEVO! still holds up- perfect for what it's trying to be and what it ends up doing.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

DoctorGonzo posted:

Stop making sense

More songs about buildings and food

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Oscar Wild posted:

More songs about buildings and food

Is very underrated I agree. Really awesome record there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Listening to Hemispheres. Don’t get much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I’m still working my way through this thread as I’m trying to get back into the idea of albums as albums. My “skip nothing” list to contribute, off the top of my head:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Just flawless all around, and a very cohesive late ‘70s sound that makes it feel like all these songs belong together

Pulp - Different Class
All their other stuff is patchy AF, but this is essentially a concept album. An hour of songs about being young, poor, angry, working class, and horny. I caught it a year or so after release and it was describing my life at the time. 20 years later it still carries that same power.

Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill
Safe popular choice, but well, it never gave me a reason to skip.

The Go-Gos - Beauty and the Beat
It’s from 1981 but I only discovered it a year or so back. Everyone knows the two singles We Got the Beat and Our Lips Are Sealed, but they are honestly the weakest songs on the album. I put it on one night, randomly, and I was all this is a good song. Hey, another good song... huh another good song? I’ve had it on heavy rotation

William Shatner - Has Been
Yeah he did a lot of dumb novelty tunes before and since, but he had actual musicians collaborate to make this a good set of songs. Achingly beautiful and not only good to listen to start to finish, it NEEDS to be heard start to finish for it to work properly. This is not a joke suggestion, it’s actually legit.