Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
sgt pepper's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Mozi posted:

white album

Revolution 9 is garbage and its a crime against culture that its on the white album but Hey Jude isnt

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

e: Paul McCartney & Wings - Band on the Run

good choice, even/especially if you add on Helen Wheels and Country Dreamer like the 1993 rerelease. I would say Tug of War was a perfect album but he just had to include Ebony and Ivory

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
it seems like there's a bunch of mccartney/wings albums that are close to beatles quality except for one or two really embarrassing songs

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Woden posted:

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile and The Downward Spiral
Faith No More - Album of the Year

No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom comes really close

okay TDS I can see maybe but The Fragile is perfect?? I love it and everything but come on

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
if it werent for the last track Undertow would be perfect

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

I vote Aja by Steely Dan

7 tight, amazing, groundbreaking jazz rock songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwaz40X0mQk

I've been slowly going through their discography for a while now, and this is next up, so it's good to hear at least two people say it's perfect.

Steely Dan owns. Side B of The Royal Scam has been the only real dip in quality so far; Haitian Divorce is good but not really feeling the rest

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
geogaddi is the only boc album i like

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
oh i didnt read the op. whats the bad song on sgt peppers

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i want to disagree with Ram but im having trouble finding a reason.

e: like Smile Away is corny as hell but its still great

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
drat it i forgot about Within You Without You. point conceded.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
getting out of dadrock i would say Untilted by Autechre is perfect. if it werent for the two throwaway minute long piano interludes then Songs About My Cats by Venetian Snares would be. maybe Doll Doll Doll, but i still like Cats a little more

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

goethe.cx posted:

tom waits - rain dogs

im personally not crazy about Diamonds and Gold or 9th and Hennepin (or most of his spoken word stuff really). i'd say Small Change is closer to perfection.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
gordon lightfoot if you could read my mind

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

raton posted:

I can't love any electronic music, without the moment to moment manipulation of the vocals / instruments the life in the music dies

This may be just a "me" problem but I don't play an instrument or anything and I thought back in like 2000 that electronic music was going to be a great human frontier -- but everything in it is stillborn just before the line where it becomes actual art

hurr

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
okay, then that is definitely a "you" problem

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
sorry. I like your thread

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

treasureplane posted:

"Long Haired Lady" is the problem for me. An amazing piece of songwriting, and yet somehow nearly intolerable.

you have made a powerful enemy today.

quote:

Here are some records that I like all the way through:
  • Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic

I skip that instrumental thingy every time. also Through With Buzz isn't that great. phenomenal record otherwise though

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
You sound very smart

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Truckin' is the one bad song on American Beauty by Grateful Dead. sorry just spitballin here to get the thread back on track

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
a better question would be, "what is a perfect album"? because it has something to do wit hthe thread

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
What would you consider a perfect album?

e: nvm you already posted some, my bad

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
hating a band isnt the problem. sometimes you just dont like something. thats perfectly fine. the issue is that this thread is about discussing perfect albums, or near-perfect albums, agreeing or disagreeing on the finer points of what makes a particular album perfect or not perfect ("if it wasnt for this bit of filler..." "this track isnt quite as good as the others..."), which to me is really fascinating as a topic of discussion, and really isnt aided by someone just making GBS threads all over the artist or group who made it as a whole. i loving hate Incubus and would never ever willingly listen to their music but thats not really a constructive reply to that person who said an Incubus album is perfect, in this thread. it would be something for another Incubus fan to comment on.

mycophobia fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 18, 2018

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Shitfuckers!!! by Venetian Snares is a perfect EP. quintessential breakcore. just six tracks of loving relentless immaculate drum programming

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Cosmo's Factory

Run Through the Jungle and Ooby Dooby feel like filler to me

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
yeah a lot of things indicate John Lennon was a huge prick, but in the Beatles he was a hell of a songwriter. Paul, however, was/is the best Beatle.

anyways Plastic Ono Band is a near-perfect album, but God is pretentious as hell and I don't really like it.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
can yall post titles instead of just youtube links, please?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Dubplate Fire posted:

I hate Venetian Snares. He loving sucks. Breakcore loving sucks. It's not music and your scaring the girls away.

I like his early stuff.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

precision posted:

The first Venetian Snares is legit

:raise:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

LSD CURES JUNKIES posted:

The Downward Spiral-Nine Inch Nails

I Do Not Want This is kinda weak

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
posting to maybe unbreak the thread

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
wow the op sucks lol

e: talking about raton

mycophobia fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 27, 2018

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Try the [code] tag, op.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i think you'll have to add the spacing manually. it's not immediately obvious to me if you can save stuff as fixed width in Calc, I don't ever use it

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I think you can set up a Google Sheets spreadsheet and make it public. prolly can just copy and paste between it and Calc directly if I had to guess

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
ive listened to Aja front to back about ten times now and i think I Got the News is the only track that doesnt measure up. the others are all great

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Dr Robert and I Want to Tell You are not great songs

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Weak Beatles Album Songs

Please Please Me - There's A Place

With the Beatles - Little Child, Roll Over Beethoven

A Hard Day's Night - None! ===Perfect===

Beatles for Sale - Rock n Roll Music, Mr. Moonlight, Honey Don't (Easily worst Beatles album)

Help! - You're Going to Lose That Girl, Dizzy Miss Lizzy

Rubber Soul - The Word, What Goes On

Revolver - Dr. Robert, I Want to Tell You

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band - Within You, Without You

The Beatles - Piggies, Revolution 9

Let It Be... Naked - The Long and Winding Road (in my Beatles headcanon this album completely replaces the original, it's better in every way)

Abbey Road - Maxwell's Silver Hammer

mycophobia fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 28, 2018

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Wtf within you without you is one of the 3 or 4 good songs on sgt peppers. Talk about overrated albums.

god I want to shoot you in the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
It's not even a bad song. It's just weaker than the rest. When I'm 64 owns, chump.