Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

raton posted:

A lotta people won't like this but it's the clocks and the dopey sounding baseline that open Time

It almost works but it's really jarring and sometimes I like it and sometimes I hate it so I couldn't settle on the album.

I think it's next in line though, for sure

It was written while they were on tour basically so all the songs are from working rather than some high concept screed, the lyrics are intentionally more direct, there aren't any long instrumentals (apart from the really good wordless vocal) and those are the usual spots where theres a flub on their other albums (but also some of their moments -- I consider Comfortably Numb to be the single best song of the last whatever years)

I don't hate you for this opinion, but also, everything you said is precisely part of why I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Purple rain is a great album, but I dunno if I would call it perfect. Like, Purple Rain's big song, Purple Rain, is basically the best and he could have just released that and called it a day and he would probably still be hailed as a master, but in order for an album to be an album, it's got to have multiple parts that all come together, so as much as Purple Rain rules (it rules hard, I loving cried the first time I heard it and I'm not ashamed of that) one song can't carry an album.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Grape posted:

Look at this enormous scrub who doesn't appreciate the rest of the Purple Rain album.

Grape posted:

There is literally only one track on Purple Rain I could do without, which is Baby I'm a Star, and I still like it alright anyway.

Grape posted:

Let's Go Crazy? Computer Blue? When Doves Cry? Hmm naw, these are mediocre songs to me, a man who lives alive irl.

Gologle posted:

Purple rain is a great album, but I dunno if I would call it perfect. Like, Purple Rain's big song, Purple Rain, is basically the best and he could have just released that and called it a day and he would probably still be hailed as a master, but in order for an album to be an album, it's got to have multiple parts that all come together, so as much as Purple Rain rules (it rules hard, I loving cried the first time I heard it and I'm not ashamed of that) one song can't carry an album.

I'm amazed you can have both a correct opinion (I agree that Baby I'm A Star isn't as good as those others you singled out) and yet lack the ability to read. I love Purple Rain, Darling Nikki is my second favorite song on the album and one of my top Prince picks.

EDIT: Please note that when it comes to Prince the "Top [Blank]" list should basically start at 30 because Top 10 is drat near impossible.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Speaking of Highway 61 Revisited, I'm just putting it out there, but I listened to Desolation Row once, and it was the longest 11 minutes of my life, and I like long ballads. I never want to listen to that song more than once every couple years. I don't think it's a bad song, but I also can't tolerate listening to it a lot.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Bat Out of Hell, the first one. Not a single bad track.

I thought about it, but yeah, I agree with this one. Bat Out of Hell is great from start to finish, and unlike other examples in the thread, Meat Loaf REALLY should have stopped after making it. Like, he sucks now, but even back then, nothing he has made since has equaled Bat Out of Hell. Him and Jim Steinman captured lightning in a bottle.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Charles Aznavour - La boheme (1966 album, not the single)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
On a minorly related topic, does anybody in this thread actually like John Lennon? I think I used to, but then I heard some of his interviews where he basically just poo poo all over Paul and trashed his own earlier Beatles stuff, plus I heard the guy was just an awful, awful parent to his kid, to the point that Hey Jude was made about it, and John looked at it, saw that it was about him (being a bad parent) and was like "Thanks Paul! This song is great, this is the best present you've ever given me!" with no self awareness involved. And I also watched that Chuck Berry/Lennon vid where Yoko is in the back howling like a she-beast and I'm like "...maybe George Harrison really was the best Beatle after all..."

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
While I wouldn't call it his best work by far, in terms of being a "perfect" album, I'd like to nominate Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind, in the sense that every single song perfectly conveys the feeling of wretchedness and misery that Bob was, has, and will probably always carry with him every moment of his waking life because I think he's come to realize he's a trash man.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

DoctorGonzo posted:

Johnny Cash live at Folsom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06wMNow3npo

This with Stop Making Sense and No Sleep till Hammersmith are my favorite live albums

Hell yea, dude, Johnny Cash isn't considered maybe the best country singer and one of the best blues and folk singers for nothing.

EDIT: Has anybody mentioned The Moody Blues' early stuff? A Question of Balance is one of my favorites from them, but I'm pretty sure Days of Future Passed is their best stuff. In Search of the Lost Chord might be someone's perfect album, idunno.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 28, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
People in this thread have already brought up London Calling, yes, and yes, it's pretty great. I would agree with the belief that it was a perfect album.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I would argue that Paul McCartney was better off after The Beatles, but of course that's because he was a Beatle to begin with.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
They both stole from black musicians, so I think the real answer is Chuck Berry or Big Joe or whoever it was that influenced Dylan, names I used to know but forgot.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I wouldn't say Tusk by Fleetwood Mac is a perfect album, although it is a fantastic one, but I will say that after listening to Beautiful Child on the album a few hours ago after years without listening to the album in full I think that that might honestly be in Stevie Nicks' Top 3 or Top 5 best performances she's ever recorded, that song is sublime start to finish. There was no good thread to drop this hot take, so here you go instead thread.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I did mention the Moody Blues you loving rock viking.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That's pretty garbage to withhold giving credit to artists and bands simply because they happen to be born within a certain generation.

EDIT: Especially when everybody born in that time frame would have been at the perfect age for what was arguably the greatest heights of rock n roll.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Bruce Springsteen said it best, but others have also said basically the same thing, is that the key to being a successful artist is to steal somebody else's idea and get away with it.