Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Where's Graceland on that list, OP?? <:mad:>

e: Paul McCartney & Wings - Band on the Run

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Sgt. Peppers' not on the list because due to the lack of Strawberry Fields Forever, which pointlessly was kept off the album since it was released as a single, but it was nevertheless slapped onto to the US Magical Mystery Tour, also:

Mr. Kite - meh
When I'm Sixty-Four - "Paul's granny poo poo"
Within You Without You - too quiet and too much sitar, man
Lucy - the acid world being depicted is actually terrifying

There is just something a little off with every other song that keeps it from being Best Ever but it's up there as far as Beatles albums go

Kind of like how Dark Side of the Moon would be one if not for the little things like the clocks in Time, Money not being as good a song as everyone thinks, the plodding nature of Us and Them, and Eclipse just because it tries to wrap everything up a little too neatly

The Wall is not on the list because there's way too much Styx-esque pomposity (Waters literally sounds like Dennis DeYoung on the opening tracks), also the whole wah wah wah my daddy never came home aspect that Roger Waters would then go on to make another, additional album dedicated solely to, which sucked

Tears for Fears - The Seeds of Love was actually the very first album I thought of, but the last track is really weak, also they were browbeaten by the studio into naming the album after one of the singles instead of the cool and esoteric original title "Raoul and the Kings of Spain" which they just ended up using as the title for a different album

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It's quintessential Dad Music but it's funny there's no real consensus over which one song to skip. For me it's either the second or last song but I don't skip them, I merely enjoy them less.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Oh wow definitely can’t wait to listen to what someone who hates a great band thinks is a perfect album

But actually, to accurately assess their lack of credibility

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

overseer07 posted:

Black Sands - Bonobo

I'd say something by Megadeth, probably Rust in Peace, but there's always something embarrassing on every album.

Songs from the Big Chair - Tears for Fears

Black Sands is better than the last two, but I'm not sure that it's better than the first two. The whole Bonobo catalogue, especially Sweetness, It Came from the Sea and the One Offs collection. Bonobo is one of my favorite artists period, but I don't know if I've found the "perfect" ambient/chill album yet.

And Megadeth is the centerpiece of one of my favorite Onion articles of all time

Yeah, this one is actually perfect even though I think Seeds of Love is a technically superior TfF album from every aspect other than kicking rear end, which this one definitely does from start to finish- I Believe is literally just taking a breath.

e: I will listen to some Phish and report back, but I really don't believe it's the best of jazz- I was listening to In a Silent Way and to me, I couldn't ask for any better of a jazz album

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 19, 2018

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I can’t wait to listen to all the recommendations itt to see who’s right and who’s a goddamn moron

(Still haven’t listened to the phish)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Now you’ve reminded me of the beck cameo on futurama, and how for a show set in the distant future how badly some of the other guests dated the show down to the year month and day

I’ll say Paul Simon - Graceland again for this page since it’s good enough to list twice

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Lionel Richie - can’t slow down

I didn’t know who I was until I heard this

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Duke is the demarcation point for genesis- everything after it and including it is more pop oriented- they never stopped doing the long prog rock compositions, they just became fewer and farther between (Dukes Travels, Dodo, Home by the Sea, Domino, Fading Lights, etc)- even as they became more “adult contemporary” they still experimented a great deal, but that wasn’t what was drawing sales or new fans

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The Patrick Bateman monologues on music are extremely unironically on point, I feel

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

treasureplane posted:

The point is to surface cool music for other people to check out, not to stage a popularity contest.

I thought it was about which albums are “perfect” (rather than obscure)

I could care less what one guy says is a perfect album if nobody else agrees with them- I would take that as a sign that it’s probably not perfect from any technical or subjective standpoint

The proof is in the listening but I’m more likely to listen to something multiple people name as one rather than one persons listing of multiple albums that are met with immediate disagreement

Some people just like lovely music and this is a great way to find out

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

The only good Pink Floyd record is the first one and even that isn’t great.

BigFactory posted:

Phish was named the greatest American rock n roll band ever because they basically took jazz music and perfected it. It wasn’t really listenable before phish.

BigFactory posted:

It’s just a bad song. Same with have a cigar.

BigFactory posted:

Good, so let’s take Aja off the list of perfect records. It’s the soundtrack to a peeping tom’s Friday night adventure. It’s sleaze.

Haha you’ve got some seriously bad posts itt god drat

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
*drops the names of thirty albums and bands nobody has heard of and gives zero feedback or assent to what has already been contributed*

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I love Radiohead but on each album there’s at least one imperfect song or composition that keeps it off these lists for me; for OK Computer it’s Fitter Happier

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Bends is good but still sophomoric

Kid A dies at the end with Motion Picture Soundtrack

Amnesiac is all the songs rejected from Kid A and has a worse version of Morning Bell- the songs are good but it’s not as atmospherically cohesive

Hail to the Thief owns except for the last song and the Gloaming

In Rainbows has the very weak Videotape

King of Limbs is solidly below average

Moon Shaped Pool owns but Burn the Witch is weak af

BigFactory posted:

No bad songs on Pablo honey.

:getout:

Pablo honey is the only one I don’t ever listen to- it’s totally dissimilar from everything that would come after

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm partial to "Frustrating Lack of Content" by the Nominators of Obscure Albums

Oho drat

Well just lol if you don’t driveby the thread with bullshit recommendations and not read or comment on anyone else’s good ones

E: semi content: rumours is a great album- one amazing song after another- but oh daddy or whatever it is is a drag

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Listening to the Proclaimers - Sunshine on Leith and gotta say... no bad songs on this one really. But never one that would come to mind if you asked me to name a perfect album

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Upon careful reflection, Gaucho is actually the best and most perfect Steely Dan album- far superior to Aja

Ron Jeremy posted:

I’d also submit Eric Clapton Unplugged as a perfect album.

:sad: and :wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I couldn't call myself a Devo "fan" because much of their work I don't care for but the debut album Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are DEVO! still holds up- perfect for what it's trying to be and what it ends up doing.