Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Perfect here doesn't mean the best or most influential, although all three of these are very good and very inflential. What I mean is there isn't one bad song stinking up the thing, or weird pacing or big uneven spots, etc -- the album is good and is without flaws front to back. This puts out Sgt Peppers, Blood on the Tracks, Dark Side of the Moon and definitely quite a few others but whatever.

Anyway, in order of how good they are overall, these are the three perfect albums

1) The Red Headed Stranger

This is the album that raised Willie Nelson from a likeable country workhorse into a sort of indisputable pantheon of world class musicians. If you don't listen to country and you got a fat aunt that loves Willie Nelson and you don't get it it's because you never heard Red Headed Stranger. Strangely enough this album was in part an echo of the number three album on this list as Nelson has stated in interviews that he wanted to do Nebraska kind of thing.

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj51eDT11UTp3RJwCCC531g6kg0ba0yfm (Youtube doesn't have the full album up as a single track at this time)

Feature track is 1 of 16, "Time of the Preacher"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf1w66uijqU

2) Kind of Blue

Maybe the only jazz album to jump clear of the genre into the popular mind, Kind of Blue is a moment to moment perfect album that is free of the kind of up-its-own-rear end jerking off that drives so many people away from jazz. One of the Allman Brothers Band's lead guitarists (I forget which) stated in an interview that the long flowing improvisations they became famous for in concert were built up from listening to Kind of Blue over and over and playing things that way. John Coltrane is one of the saxophonists on the album and apparently the rest of the group is almost as well known to jazz people. Each side was recorded in one session, with Davis demanding (as usual) no rehearsals, giving his players only rough notes to go by just before they were going to record, however of the tracks on the album only Flamenco Sketches is the actual first take (but that song did not appear on the album until the reissue in the 90s).

Full album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fC1qSxpmKo

Feature track is 2 of 5, "Freddie Freeloader"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPfFhfSuUZ4

3) Nebraska

Springsteen crushed it with Born to Run, the released Darkness on the Edge of Town and The River, the last of which introduced some darker material but which was his most immediately successful album up to that time (Born to Run would continue to gather steam down the road at a greater rate but The River came out of the gate the hardest). He followed this up with an album he recorded mostly on his own in his garage, almost all of the songs bleak or murderous, set in one of the few states provably worse than New Jersey. Nebraska is grim but without the temptation to feed his fanbase a nine minute working class anthem Springsteen was free to do his most careful and intricate work. He managed it without a slip up along the way and Nebraska has over time become a symbol and maybe even map for how one person can pull something off like that on their own.

Full album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dy2O9Khq1A

Feature track is 10 of 10, "Reason to Believe"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ro16WgM1IE

=====

Probably the most commonly mentioned albums in the thread so far are:

Steely Dan's "Aja":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzrDs_Vaho4&list=PL8a8cutYP7fodkZK1G6kK00rVwhMCy4_F
(I don't like Steely Dan but okay)

Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmHrHQEmp2Q
(I don't like the intro to Time and feel that Money is a weak link but this album is my number 4 choice for a perfect album if I unscrew my butthole a little)

Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-kA3UtBj4M&list=PLKLjDq58gFD_cY1K3dqNhzRe8mibgziQZ
(I listened to it before but it didn't make a big impression)

raton fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

A ton of people will groan at this but I don't give a poo poo.

40oz to Freedom by Sublime

YeahTubaMike posted:

Smash by The Offspring

I don't think I listened to either of those two all the way through maybe I will someday soon, you will see

raton fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 14, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Like all list threads I look foreward to all the posts where someone says something they actually like and no one reads it or cares or interacts with the thing recommended

I will listen to some of the ablums that people post though

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

disintegration by the cure

I don't like Fascination Street but the opening bits of this album are very good

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Robokomodo posted:

But Slick Rick has 4 albums.

Treat em Like a Prostitute and Johnny Cash's cover of Deliah's Gone are the only two songs I've played when girls were around where they got mad at me for it

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Marvin Gaye: what's going on is a flawless album

I thought I had this one and had listened to but I don't so maybe I haven't so I will probably try it later becasueit's more promising than the Carly Rae Jespen one

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I downloaded this one because it's on a buncch of lists like Pitchfork kinda ones but it ain't clicked I guess IDK

I can never remember any of it after I listened to it

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wall Balls posted:

donuts by dilla

I ahve a mental block with hip hop, every year I give it another go and end up still not liking it very much

I think the only hip hop album I've listeed to all the way through more than once that I still kinda like is Illmatic

I will give this one a try

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Khorne posted:

There are a lot of albums that are close. Ready to Die by biggie comes to mind. In some ways it's better than the albums I listed, but it also has a turd track or two.

I agree with this very much

I think there are better albums in aggregate than the three I posted but they all have a big log or two floating in the punchbowl as well

Also when you talked about the hip hop albums being turdprone they also have those loving skits

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
To the Steely Dan posters why not that Dire Straits one with the guitar on the front?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Have always and will always skip whatever track one is called

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sid Vicious posted:

Hey sheep goats what song or part of a song on dark side of the moon do you think drags it down just curious because it was where my mind went as soon as reading the thread title

A lotta people won't like this but it's the clocks and the dopey sounding baseline that open Time

It almost works but it's really jarring and sometimes I like it and sometimes I hate it so I couldn't settle on the album.

I think it's next in line though, for sure

It was written while they were on tour basically so all the songs are from working rather than some high concept screed, the lyrics are intentionally more direct, there aren't any long instrumentals (apart from the really good wordless vocal) and those are the usual spots where theres a flub on their other albums (but also some of their moments -- I consider Comfortably Numb to be the single best song of the last whatever years)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nurge posted:

As much as I love them they all have a missed track or two. Ænima is the closest probably but ehh, you know. Die eier von Satan is just a straight comedy track that should have been on a puscifer record.

Agree with this notion exactly

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Dog posted:

Singles by Future Islands is my only perfect album, but there are lots of really freakin good ones in this thread.

That's a hella weird choice Senior Dog but thanks for posting

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JebanyPedal posted:

Has anyone posted Dave Matthew's
Cause lol if someone did I want to see it.

I look almost exactly like Dave Matthews

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Nerds posted:

This thread is really amazing, thanks for starting it. I love how it's "nominate an album, then everyone else gets hypercritical trying to pick it apart."
My FIL is here and he owns every album listed here (I think I've posted his music room before, it looks like a library wing). We're having a blast going through this thread and debating what's "wrong" with each album.

Yw

Tell the mods to stop probating me all the time please

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

maker posted:

all poo poo try again

Here's one you'll like it's called two gay guys making GBS threads into a tin washtub from forty feet up (and lovin it)

raton fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 15, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JebanyPedal posted:

How do you feel about that.

I don't care

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I will update the op later with Aja even though it isn't my cup of tea in general

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Call Your Grandma posted:

London Calling
Blood on the Tracks

that is all

Did you see the article about how you can compile the original lost mix of Blood on the Tracks from the recently released More Blood, More Tracks?

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/bob-dylans-masterpiece-is-still-hard-to-find

These are the tracks you want

69 (CD 5, No. 3),
71 (CD 5, No. 5),
34 (CD 3, No. 3),
76 (CD 5, No. 10),
48 (CD 4, No. 2),
16 (CD 2, No. 5),
11 (CD 1, No. 11),
59 (CD 4, No. 13),
46 (CD 3, No. 15), and
58 (CD 4, No. 12).

Biggest difference is a little organ here and there and a less out of place version of Lily Rosemary / Jack of HEarts

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Taima posted:

The best single musical performance i’ve ever heard is easily the Anderson Paak tiny desk.

Everything about it is loving perfect. I could also talk about how incredible Paak’s simultanous vocals/drum work is but thats neither here nor there.

https://youtu.be/ferZnZ0_rSM

Kinda not my thing but it wasn't bad and I cna see how some people less brokebrained than me might really like it

the John Prine Tiny Desk is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOg7mAkrKJw

raton fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 15, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

Heres three albums i really like:

Self titled - Kris Kristofferson
Felt mountain - Goldfrapp
Freak Out! Frank zappa

I will listen to the Felt Mountain one and the Freak Out one because I listened to you about Kris K and that went real well

I have some Goldfrapp album but I dont' think it's that one

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Tea for the Tillerman

I like that song real well and the album is pretty good too I don't remember what the guff is on it but I think there was a guff

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RossMan4Life posted:

I prefer to listen through albums, I think Dark Side is great throughout, but I'm sure you could make a case it's not up to your definition's snuff.

Anyway, I rather enjoy Explosions in the Sky's 'The Rescue.'

E: also the Foster the People album 'Torches' is excellent.

Best postrock album is Mogwai's Happy Songs for Happy People

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Brooks posted:

The soundtrack from *Amelie* has no flaws.

I'd put *Breakfast in America* on the list but I tend to skip the first track.

I like Breakfast in America a lot but I also skip the first track

HAve you ever listened to that Deep Breakfast album you might like that, it also has breakfast in the title and is pretty good

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

Patti Smith - Horses
Patti Smith - Horses
Patti Smith - Horses

Easter is better all the way through

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

let it mellow posted:

man this is like the hipster thread, what about billy Joel

I hate him

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

GEEKABALL posted:

LEd Zeppelin Physical Graffitti. Two full albums of rock greatness. I won’t say that every Zepplin album is perfect, but they came goddam close every time.

I like that album a lot and used to go past the apartments on the cover all the time when I was workin in the ambulance

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Bat Out of Hell, the first one. Not a single bad track.

Even better, though, is Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy.

Warren Zevon is my favorite guy but every album he has has one or two incredibly gross wet farts on it somewhere -- that Somebody killed a clown song on Transverse City is a musical felony

Exciteable Boy's ruiner is that loving Nightime in the switching yard song

his best album overall is the self titled one but Join me in LA sucks

I really love the Preludes album and especially this song but it's a posthumous album and some of the tracks are unfinished takes that stop in the middle etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5V0Mv0j3Jo

I think Comfortably Numb is the best song ever written from an objective standpoint but the song I like the most myself is probably French Inhaler, or maybe Splendid Isolation

"Where you gonna go
With your scarves and your miracles
Whose gonna know who you are
Drugs and wine and flattering light
You must try it again until you get it right
Baby you'll end up with someone different every night"

///

"Michael Jackson in Disney Land
Don't have to share it with nobody else
Lock the gates, Goofy, take my hand
And lead me through the world of self"

raton fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 15, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RossMan4Life posted:

Thanks, been meaning to check them out. Crazy, I know.

This album is rad as heck.

Thanks for the thread, gonna listen to some good tunes. :toot:

E: Actually I told you to listen to the wrong one the best one is Come On Die Young for some reason I always swap the titles of that one and Happy Songs for Happy People

I got tired of all the GYBE stuff and EITS never stuck but Spiderland and some of the Mogwai stuff still shines through

I saw them record that live album they released it was very nice, blew out my left ear for two days though

This the live album one, they did it right before the band was going to be restructured so the performance includes a lot of fan / live favorites, this is from the DVD version so it has some footage of the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M33yPlG3cPo

Also Tortoise's Millions Now Living Will Never Die is very good, this is my favorite track on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLCgcp83Tfg

raton fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 15, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I have I remember liking the one his son did on there

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I like the Taking Heads a lot but I don't think it's possible that any of their albums don't have one or more "kooky" black sheep songs on there, I haven't checked though so maybe I'm wrong

Stop Making Sense is almost certainly the best live recording out there (excluding blues and jazz) and there are parts to it that are absolutely transcendent but the Genius of Love part suuuuccckkkks shiiiiittt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVOopPORLuk

raton fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 15, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Great Beer posted:

Dethalbum III is flawless and the best death metal album ever released. Fight me

I searched this on YouTube and found out it was from that one cartoon but I gave it a chance anyway and closed it after about ten seconds of the vocals, sorry

raton fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 15, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wall Balls posted:

donuts by dilla

I got through seven or so tracks but it got samey and honestly irritating sorry

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dang

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BigFactory posted:

I can’t understand how people in 2018 really get into supertramp. There’s a century of recorded music and somehow supertramp floats to the top?

Dad played Breakfast in America on roadtrips a lot.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I've now listened to half of a metal album straight through.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Med School posted:

Dude Purple Rain is better than every Springsteen album and every movie he made also.

If you pretend Nebraska doesn't exist, sure

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

tetsuo posted:

Anyone arguing against Dark Side Of The Moon is a dumb child who doesn't deserve ears.

Fun fact I originally had a fourth album slot written up for dsotm but I scanned through the songs on it in the mp3 folder and Money, especially the first two minutes of it, is real weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BigFactory posted:

The only good Pink Floyd record is the first one and even that isn’t great.

:chloe: