Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Previous Thread with lots of useful information

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdqQ3iG7ylw

What is Final Fantasy Brave Exvius?

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is a mobile F2P RPG from Square-Enix and the makers of Brave Frontier. Released Globally in the summer of 2016, and in Japan 8 months before that. It shares some minor similarities with Final Fantasy Record Keeper but it's mostly Brave Frontier with a huge coating of Final Fantasy. Using given story characters and heroes from classic FF games you form a 5-man squad to run through dungeons, fight super bosses, and even other player teams in an Arena. Your story is standard Final Fantasy fare with an evil force destroying crystals, but the music is really good. Some of the art, specifically the animated backgrounds are really quite beautiful if you stop to pay attention to them. Some of the sprites are better than others, and some have some very fun and enjoyable animations. Combat should feel right at home to fans of the FF series, particularly of the Nintendo era.

This thread is focused on the Global version of the game but there are some goons that play on the JP version as well. Even if you don't play the JP version, it pays to pay attention to it as you can see what units to try to pull for in the future to help round out your party or break the game with a ridiculously strong character.

Gameplay

The game is structured around classic Final Fantasy turn based combat, typically involving 5 of your characters and 1 friend unit. Explorations on the world map play out like a dungeon in an FF game would (random battles, top down exploration view, hidden chests, etc). Most of the time you'll be jumping right into battles either against a boss or series of battles against enemies leading to a boss fight. There are a large variety of characters and against all but the most difficult content there are multiple strategies you can use to win.

Anything else I should know?
It's a mobile game, so it's free to play potential is based on your luck from the random Gacha/loot box style system of giving out characters. Public opinion of SquarEnix and Gumi (the publisher and developer respectively) is also only slightly better than Blizzard and Bethesda as of this posting.

If you want to join us, download it from your respective Apple/Android store, but DO NOT sync it with your Google/Facebook account until you have read the next post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
★★★★ IMPORTANT ★★★★★

REROLL UNTIL YOU GET A GOOD 5★ CHARACTER

For complete information on how to reroll, click here.
This might take a while (as in an hour or more).

With the 7* Meta being firmly in place, you'll ideally want to start off your game with a pair of 5★s in place so you can eventually turn them into a 7* and have a good unit to work with. However, since it's impossible to guarantee that you can pull two of the same character with the limited number of rolls you start with, just try to get a decent 5* unit.

-----------------------

Once you’ve rolled a good unit, link the account to your primary Facebook account and this will forever associate them. Next time you reinstall the app, choose the login with Facebook option and it will bring back this account.
Next step you’ll want to do is get your friend ID; located by clicking ‘Menu’ on the home page, then clicking ‘Player Info’. Take that code and add it to the Goon Friends Google Doc, add anyone on there that has open slots (make sure to write something ‘Goony’ as your greeting so people know you’re a goon friend), then for good measure post it in the forum and introduce yourself. People will add you and you can use our powerful allies to help coast through most content.

------------------------------------

Once you’re done that bit of prep, you’re ready to start playing the game. New players should focus on doing the story. The story will unlock a few more characters, you’ll get a lot of gear and crafting materials along the way, unlock recipes to craft gear and helpful materia, and by completing the missions in each area you’ll also earn a lot of Lapis. Which you could either use to refresh your NRG to keep grinding the story or just horde for unit pulls. Check the wiki as you go and make sure you talk to everyone as the Espers are hidden and require you to chat up townsfolk to open up their locations on the world map. Espers are very good and important things, which when connected to a unit and leveled will not only enhance that unit’s stats but also give that unit whatever abilities you’ve unlocked by leveling the Esper. Some of these abilities are very strong, make sure you try and unlock all the unique abilities that each Esper has.

Click here to read the Exvius Wiki Getting Started post.
[

There is always some event going on in the Vortex but as a new player it might be impossible for you to compete alone. Ask in the thread and see what units can carry what difficulties. Typically, a top tier unit, wielding the best gear, can solo all difficulties up to and including PRO. Depending on the event, ELT may be possible as well. Check in the thread, ask for advice on how to do the events (what skills to use with what units), and don’t try to go in without a good friend unit because you’ll get destroyed at lower levels and you’ll just waste your time and NRG.

Eventually your units will hit a cap on their level and need to be awakened. The materials to go up to 5★ are available from story missions or from the Chamber of Awakening. The materials needed to go from 5★-> 6★ are not available via grinding a vortex or through story missions. They are available either by purchasing a bundle with Lapis(not advisable unless you’re impatient) or waiting for a King Mog event (Highly Advisable). King Mog events occur every month for 2 weeks and will see you grinding battles in the Vortex and accumulating event currency which can be traded for a variety of things, but there will always be a supply of 6★ awakening mats for purchase.

Other things new players should know:

Do your daily quests, completing 5 of them is worth 50 Lapis.

Use your Arena orbs. They are refreshed 1/hr. Use the first 5 you get every day to do Arena battles against other players’ teams don’t worry about losing, you’ll still get the daily rewards (40 Lapis and 1 Star Quartz are the important rewards). Use subsequent orbs to fight your way through the Coliseum section. The Coliseum has some Lapis rewards as well as some other decent rewards.

Expeditions are side content similar to the expeditions in Final Fantasy Tactics. You choose some units to go do a job, spend some materials to increase the success chance, then those units become unavailable for a set amount of time, 3 to 24 hours, after which they return and either bring you back some relics and different rewards or fail and bring you back nothing. Relics are quite good for crafting a very nice materia but they aren’t something you’ll be able to really do early on in the game. However try to cycle them each day, doing the lower level ones (C&D level) as you can get some good rewards for weekly relic totals.

Go do the story, pop your head in the thread and ask questions, have fun. Don't be like this guy.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 1, 2020

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Important Links

Wiki - https://www.exviuswiki.com THIS IS YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND, BOOKMARK IT! Exvius SubReddithttps://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/ Very helpful for future planning of TMs, awakenings, and enhancements.
Goon Friend Listhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PBoE56CzVaq1L8WE4sMeBhkoEByummcaU-8qMIFfZLI/edit#gid=0 Add goons and let them carry you to victory. Very depreciated, ask in the thread.

Exvius Goon Discord Channelhttps://discord.gg/Jx9b6Rt – If you need immediate help, ask here.

Exvius Macros Webpagehttp://www.ffbemacro.com/ – After reddit drama, the current developer of the macros that we all use and love has founded his own site, keep up to date there.

Unit Build Calculator - http://ffbeequip.lyrgard.fr/builder.html – Fantastic online site where you can build units with many different parameters. Also tells you the expected average damage of attacks so you can actually see how effective your gear choices will be. ★★★★★

Unit Max Damage Listhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QDbQBT9cEAkfWnF7xMjYUpcKKYdtRk9aFQz9V1d6XtY/preview#gid=279899472 – Use this to see what the highest damage rates are in the game. Compared your unit to the best and cry.

Unit Awakening Plannerhttps://pardoman.github.io/ffbeawakeningplanner/ – Use this to see how many of each 6★ material you need. Unfortunately, it’s out of date.

Odds Calculator for pulls - http://ffbe-oddsbitch.danposluns.com/??x=7&y=0&z=0 - Use this to see what your odds of getting a banner unit is over X number of different pulls.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Server resets at 0000 PDT. Maintenence is Thursday Morning. Banners Change on Friday Morning.

Leveling a free summon to max and selling them gives decent gil (1★ = 4,400 | 2★ = 15,000 | 3★ - 32,000)

Most of the bundles are AWFUL. Don't buy them. IF there is an exception, it will be posted about in the thread. The NRG packages are alright if you're low rank and really want to keep playing.

Don’t chase banner units. The rates for Blue(3 ★)/Gold(4 ★)/Rainbow(5 ★) characters are 78%/19%/3%, and the chances of it being a banner unit are 19%/4.75%/1.5%

How do I ‘get gud’?
Learn how to chain and finish(aka Chain Capping). This is a pretty decent video that explains how it works. Note that most chainers work best with another copy of the same unit due to how their attacks are staggered.

On top of that, exploit elemental weaknesses with elemental weapons. Keep ATK/MAG buffed. Use debuffs whenever possible; even Imperil and Deprotect, which are learned by many Espers, can increase damage significantly.

I got two of the same chainers but I can't hit 20+ chains, what's the deal?
Each unit has a different frame delay between when you hit the button and when they launch into their attack. Each attack also has a set number of frames between each hit. This is regardless of animation preferences so don't worry if you turned on/off the animations. Most units have a consistent number of frames between each hit, but some have differing numbers of frames which make them difficult to chain, even if the attack itself has a large number of hits. Sometimes this just occurs at the end of an attack, like in the case of Tidus, but other times it can alternate throughout the animation; as in the case of Fryevia.

If you are using two units that are the same, and each is using the same skill, then you just need to press the buttons as fast as you possibly can. In the example linked above, 2 Setzers using 'Red card', to perfectly chain like they do, need to be pressed within 3 FRAMES(not seconds) of each other. Each unit also has a delay between when you activate them and when the first hit lands. You'll want to keep track of that because then you can figure out how long before you'll need to activate your finisher.

The Wiki and FFBE.DB both now list what chain family an ability belongs to, if it belongs to one of a common family. It's a little inconsistent what abilities get translated as and what JP players might know their name as so just check the wiki/db for the exact info in case you're confused.

Now, once you've found a couple units that have similar frames, actually chaining them is...well not necessarily easy. If you're on Android you can use a magnification trick to help you chain perfectly, but if you're on iOS you can do a couple techniques(ask in the thread and post what device you're using). However, there is another way. Using macros on Nox/Memu will allow you to chain perfectly everytime, and you can even use this handy website to generate the macro for you so you don't have to mess around with editing the timestamps.

Should I roll for on this banner?

If you follow the thread for any length of time you'll see people talking about the new units that are the new hotness. Typically you'll want to save your pulls for banners that will get you a character that will fill a hole in your party or is so strong that they define the meta. In either case, there will usually be a bit of discussion about this as the banner comes around and people will be weighing in with their opinions.

I've heard that Killer effects are better than straight ATK, is that true?

Yes, a killer effect is applied after some of the other damage calculations and is roughly equal to 2.34% ATK against an enemy of that type. However some enemies are multiple types which makes them less effective. Killer effects don't obviously add to your ATK total but don't discount them, they're much better than straight attack in most situations. In particular, Trials and Event bosses are situations where you'll want to show up stacking killers.

I've heard X doesn't stack?

This is an outdated phrase that was popularized by JP players coming over to GL. In Global we have some Materia with the 'unstackable' tag, meaning that you can only equip one of that specific named materia. Because those materia could stack in Japan and the similarity of terms, people quickly became confused that similar effects couldn't stack(example: Ifrit's Beast Killer and a Beast Killer Materia), however then people changed the phrasing to say that "different sources could stack", the easy way to think about it is that "Everything stacks, except unstackable materia." Meaning you can't have two Dragon Killer materia, because those are unstackable, but you can have Dragon Killer and Dragon Killer+ because those are materia with different names.

Previous thread located here

Important character information:

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 14, 2018

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Important character information to add:

Jake really sucks.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

What's the ETA for 7* PS Rydia? The game really wanted me to have that unit as I got three in a row.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Rydia will be in the next batch of 7*, which is probably going to be in 3-4 weeks or so.

Also, it's spelled 'hoard.' :colbert:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Ornamented Death posted:

What's the ETA for 7* PS Rydia? The game really wanted me to have that unit as I got three in a row.

Next month.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Page 1 get.

When will I be able to get another LM Fina to meld into her 7*?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Nephrite posted:

Also, it's spelled 'hoard.' :colbert:

I was trying to have my cake and make a joke about 'goon swarming' at the same time. It doesn't really make sense to hoard your posts but I guess contextually it doesn't really make sense this way either.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

PaybackJack posted:

I was trying to have my cake and make a joke about 'goon swarming' at the same time. It doesn't really make sense to hoard your posts but I guess contextually it doesn't really make sense this way either.

That's okay, nothing about the game makes sense either so you're good to go.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Ground floor, hoard for Golbez

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Most importantly, when can I smash my 2 Ray Jacks?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Are any of these SPR/DEF auto boost enchants better than just straight +SPR/DEF? I imagine that I'll always have a relevant buff if I really needed it, which makes the autos sorta eh, although I guess it helps that it can't be dispelled?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

KDdidit posted:

Most importantly, when can I smash my 2 Ray Jacks?

Probably never, King's Knight folded, it didn't require pulling and had no energy system and came out like a year after Final Fantasy 15, so people didn't spend money on it. The End.

I'd just like to point out for new folks, you really do want to get at least one good 5★ base unit with your starting pulls before you link your account.

Also, Facebook will probably figure out your shenanigans and lock your account if you're too good for a "real" Facebook account.

If you check the wiki, and Reddit, you will see people beating advanced trials without whale-tier gear and units... so it's possible to do if you learn the mechanics.

I'd still try for at least three 5★ units to start, personally.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Aww yea new thread smell

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I just want to state I hate Chow

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
How can you hate the good boy Chow

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

suuma posted:

How can you hate the good boy Chow

Seriously. Chow's such a good dog.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Annath posted:

Page 1 get.

When will I be able to get another LM Fina to meld into her 7*?

after the newest 7* batch step up banner expires all of those units will be added to the UoC pool (the banner, not the mog minister). Will require 10 summon select tickets so spend wisely.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Wiki says 75% of the time he will protect the party from magic damage. For me, it is more 25%.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Please don't UoC a second LM Fina unless you have a good seven star in every other role in your party. 6* LM Fina is incredible and can still perform very well in a 7* world, so focus UoC on tanks and damage dealers and breakers and buffers before healers.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

pet all puppers

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Don’t spend money on this game.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

smertrioslol posted:

when is ffbe 2 supposed to be coming out?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

smertrioslol posted:

No gacha-shaming in this thread. We're here and we're whaling like we're a 300 pound chick at the club whose song just came on and it's Friday loving night y'all.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

hagie posted:

I just want to state I hate Chow

Chow isn’t Jake at least

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Why did I get nothing but +mag/spr when trying to improve a spear? Why???

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ornamented Death posted:

Why did I get nothing but +mag/spr when trying to improve a spear? Why???

I keep getting +ATK trying to upgrade a scepter. Its luck of the draw, but it still sucks sometimes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I am STILL holding out for a Final Fantasy Mystic Quest collaboration. :colbert:

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

arisu posted:

Please don't UoC a second LM Fina unless you have a good seven star in every other role in your party. 6* LM Fina is incredible and can still perform very well in a 7* world, so focus UoC on tanks and damage dealers and breakers and buffers before healers.

yeah, this

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Ground floor got fryevia #1 and #2 in the last week

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

LadyPictureShow posted:

I keep getting +ATK trying to upgrade a scepter. Its luck of the draw, but it still sucks sometimes.

Sometimes I swear that there’s a greater chance that you’ll get the opposite stat of what you need :tinfoil:

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Can't believe I passed out last night trying to maintain my top 3000 arena rank. 300 lapiss down the drain and dropped down to rank 3445

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Which of these silver chests are actually worth opening?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Which of these silver chests are actually worth opening?

Nowadays? Almost none of them. If you're just starting out then maybe some of the resistance spells, bar-whatever is going to help you but really the whole silver keys thing got power creeped hard and I honestly don't even know who they expect to grind out Diamond gear.

Looking at the full list

Spirit Slayer Recipe
Bug Killer Recipe
Bird Killer Recipe
SPR 15%
SPR 20%
Unsui Clothes - Recipe
Rubber Suit - Recipe
Flame/Ice/Thunder Shield - Recipe
Ice Armor - Recipe

I'd say that's about it. Maybe some of the gear if you're really hard up for stuff.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 14, 2018

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011
Run 1 vs 3* Levi was a wash. Managed to get below 60% even with Wilhelm accidentally at only 50% evasion, but Bubble Blast killed him and the physical follow-up killed the rest of my guys. My 3-turn rotation with Tidus + Kurasame is solid though. Next time I'm going to bring a friend A.Rain to eat the snort so I don't need to dispel every turn, then Wilhelms MAG break should be enough hopefully.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Tipme posted:

Can't believe I passed out last night trying to maintain my top 3000 arena rank. 300 lapiss down the drain and dropped down to rank 3445

Bless your heart for trying. I've always assumed that trying for Arena rank is a fool's errand.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

FINALLY Odin taken down with WEEKS of crafting best way to take down.

Now Leviathan...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hoard for Akstar.

Also Reberta is the best dragoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Hoard for Akstar.