Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Anarchy
Feb 19, 2007

Shit, they're not even starfish - LOOK AT THEIR EYES

Hey guys, I don't know if most of you remember but seven years ago I released my first game Bizango Blast on iOS. I got a lot of support and feedback from goons when I originally posted about it here, it was a fun time and the reason behind my avatar. I looked back at the original and cringe, it was ugly and I have no idea what I was thinking with the aiming but there was something still fun underneath all of that. I decided I can make this good, so I started working hard finding all the feedback from the original and applying them to the new game.

Who knew that by adding some pupils and reflections to the Starfish eyes they'd look less creepy?

I'm happy to say it looks and plays way better and I'm quite proud of what I accomplished this time around, it's also much more fun and has none of the frustration factor of Sphoxie.

Bizango Blast is an action physics puzzle game where you take control of the cannon and blast the bad guys away while making sure not to hit the eggs. Like Angry Birds but in 3D. It's a game of controlled destruction with many challenges and surprises. There are 50 levels spread across 5 different worlds with their own unique twists and or powers to play with.

Enough words check out the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4GsuURXels

I made it by myself as a solo dev from the concept, art, programming and even the music for better or worse. I hope you give Bizango Blast a chance, I've put a lot of my heart and soul into it and I'm happy with the result. It was done in the Unreal Engine 4.

The website: https://bizangob.com

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/983520/Bizango_Blast/

There is one small issue due to the Unreal Engine, there is an engine bug that when ever the gpu takes too long to respond the engine panics and crashes, here is the bug report https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-51650 and as soon as UE 4.22 is released I'll patch Bizango Blast. It's a bit random so you may never encounter it but if you do you can try running Bizango Blast in DirectX 12 or Vulkan, another option is reduce the resolution scale to 75% or 50% in the options menu or reduce the post process effects.

I already started working on my next game, an "endless" starfox 64 style jet shooter, does sound like a good idea?

The first 6 goons that send a PM asking for a Steam key will get one!

Finally I asked the mods permission to make this thread and Palpek and VideoGames said it was ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
On your store page description, where you list the controls, you've mixed up the keyboard controls for aiming and shooting:

Mister Anarchy
Feb 19, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

On your store page description, where you list the controls, you've mixed up the keyboard controls for aiming and shooting:

Thanks for the heads up!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This looks like a fun game! I'm not sure if I can actually run it so I can't really provide any kind of good feedback but I think it's pretty cool that you went back and looked at a title you felt you could do better and ended up redoing it all by yourself. I hope your game is received well and that I'll get a chance to play it some day when I have a rig that I think could run it :)

Mister Anarchy
Feb 19, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

This looks like a fun game! I'm not sure if I can actually run it so I can't really provide any kind of good feedback but I think it's pretty cool that you went back and looked at a title you felt you could do better and ended up redoing it all by yourself. I hope your game is received well and that I'll get a chance to play it some day when I have a rig that I think could run it :)

I sent you a key, I put in some scalability options so it might work on lower end rigs with the right settings.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Oh wow, this brought back memories. Saw the thread title, couldn't work out why it was vaguely familiar, and it's the hosed up starfish game! I was one of the goons who tried it back in the day. I think my feedback was quite negative, yet also well intentioned as it was the early days of the App Store and I wanted to see goons do well.

I don't think I've got gaming time to spare for the shiny new rebooted version, I'm kind of over physics games ITYOOL 2018, but I'm kind of delighted that it exists. You went back to something that sucked, years later, for a do-over. That's... sweetly wonderful. And hell, the very fact that I remembered the hosed up starfish game all these years later means it made more of an impact on me than many actually good games I enjoyed and then forgot.

This thread honestly made my night.

Mister Anarchy
Feb 19, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Oh wow, this brought back memories. Saw the thread title, couldn't work out why it was vaguely familiar, and it's the hosed up starfish game! I was one of the goons who tried it back in the day. I think my feedback was quite negative, yet also well intentioned as it was the early days of the App Store and I wanted to see goons do well.

I don't think I've got gaming time to spare for the shiny new rebooted version, I'm kind of over physics games ITYOOL 2018, but I'm kind of delighted that it exists. You went back to something that sucked, years later, for a do-over. That's... sweetly wonderful. And hell, the very fact that I remembered the hosed up starfish game all these years later means it made more of an impact on me than many actually good games I enjoyed and then forgot.

This thread honestly made my night.

Thank you, I appreciate your words :unsmith:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So Mister Anarchy sent me a steam key and it turns out that I can, in fact, run this game, which was a pleasant surprise.

Now, I've only played a few of the starter stages so I haven't gotten into anything super tricky, but I do have a couple of criticisms that I wanted to bring up.

1. The game feels like it is extremely blinding. I checked the options and messed with some settings but while there were some that changed how bright the game was, it still felt super overly bright. It made it hard to read and look at because of how bright it is, it's kinda like looking up into a flashlight.

2. Sometimes I'll knock over the enemies and they won't actually die, they'll just roll backwards and sit there and I'll have to hit them again. I'm mostly wondering what actually counts for killing them since sometimes they'll roll off of a platform and die but other times they'll roll off a platform and live.

The good: It controls well! My shots go exactly where I expect them to go, the physics does exactly what I expect it to do, everything seems fine and dandy! I just think that the presentation is a bit too overly bright and that the game could use some kind of...idk, a contrast setting or something, whatever would help make the bright colors not quite so eye-blindingly bright. Though if others want to chime in on why I'm wrong, that's also fine, because I could easily be talking out my rear end here and not knowing what the hell I'm talking about.

e: actually, question regarding the physics: is it purposefully designed so that when you shoot one of the enemies, you'll end up removing whatever surface they're attached to as well? Forest 4 is the first stage I'm having trouble 3 starring because it seems no matter what angle I hit the enemies at, it destroys the rest of the tower and that causes the middle egg to get destroyed.

e2: of course I get 3 stars after making that edit. Just seems pretty touchy where you can hit the enemy without it taking out the surrounding stuff but I guess that's also the whole point of the game sooooo

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 18, 2018

Mister Anarchy
Feb 19, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

So Mister Anarchy sent me a steam key and it turns out that I can, in fact, run this game, which was a pleasant surprise.

Now, I've only played a few of the starter stages so I haven't gotten into anything super tricky, but I do have a couple of criticisms that I wanted to bring up.

1. The game feels like it is extremely blinding. I checked the options and messed with some settings but while there were some that changed how bright the game was, it still felt super overly bright. It made it hard to read and look at because of how bright it is, it's kinda like looking up into a flashlight.

2. Sometimes I'll knock over the enemies and they won't actually die, they'll just roll backwards and sit there and I'll have to hit them again. I'm mostly wondering what actually counts for killing them since sometimes they'll roll off of a platform and die but other times they'll roll off a platform and live.

The good: It controls well! My shots go exactly where I expect them to go, the physics does exactly what I expect it to do, everything seems fine and dandy! I just think that the presentation is a bit too overly bright and that the game could use some kind of...idk, a contrast setting or something, whatever would help make the bright colors not quite so eye-blindingly bright. Though if others want to chime in on why I'm wrong, that's also fine, because I could easily be talking out my rear end here and not knowing what the hell I'm talking about.

e: actually, question regarding the physics: is it purposefully designed so that when you shoot one of the enemies, you'll end up removing whatever surface they're attached to as well? Forest 4 is the first stage I'm having trouble 3 starring because it seems no matter what angle I hit the enemies at, it destroys the rest of the tower and that causes the middle egg to get destroyed.

e2: of course I get 3 stars after making that edit. Just seems pretty touchy where you can hit the enemy without it taking out the surrounding stuff but I guess that's also the whole point of the game sooooo

Thanks for the feedback!

1. I looked into it and it seems that when post processing is below "High" the auto exposure part doesn't correct the image. I'll lower the over all brightness of the game when "Med" or "Low" are selected, try playing it with "High" post processing in the mean time.

2. The enemies have a hidden HP system so if they fall of low enough platform or if something breaks their fall they won't necessarily die. Damage is calculated by all impacts that they receive either from the ball or the environment.

3. Unfortunately the physics in the Unreal Engine is not really deterministic, I did everything I could think of to keep it as stable as possible by giving it all the sub steps it would allow and as many iterations in the various physics calculations that wouldn't kill the frame rate. So there's no escaping a few quirks here and there. However the trick to your problem is if you hit something above it's center of mass/gravity some of the transferred force goes down and affects the object below it but if you hit it below the center of mass it will go up without affecting the object below it. Try hitting different parts of enemies and see how the ball reacts, you can even ricochet the ball and hit multiple enemies if you hit them on their side!

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I like the creepy starfish, good job

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
oops

Mister Anarchy
Feb 19, 2007

There's a demo out now on steam with the first 5 levels so you can try it out for free! If you buy the full version your progress will not be lost with steam cloud.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Bazinga.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Mister Anarchy posted:

There's a demo out now on steam with the first 5 levels so you can try it out for free! If you buy the full version your progress will not be lost with steam cloud.

I dont see a demo button, it comes up on search but not on the main page, possibly I'm blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Anarchy
Feb 19, 2007

PlushCow posted:

I dont see a demo button, it comes up on search but not on the main page, possibly I'm blind.

I'm not sure, on the demo page it's the second one. If you still can't get it to download I can upload a none steam build and post the link here