Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
London
Nom
Nom
Nom
Goku
View Results

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This film was an absolute loving mess, but I enjoyed every second. Hugo Weaving owns, sexy kung fu aviatrix owns, zombie step dad owns.

Absolutely this. Just got back from seeing it, and loving loved it to bits, despite rolling my eyes, turning to my wife, both agape, and laughing with her in exasperation at how on the nose and trite some of the dialogue is. "THIS DOLL HAS NO HEART (turns to camera, winks at audience, shits pants) LIIIKKKKEEE MMMMEEEEE!!" etc. It's loving gorgeous, more visually interesting than whatever's gonna win a cinematography Oscar, so many cool ideas. It's almost exactly like if Star Wars was written instead by a bunch of kids playing make believe.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Doctor Malaver posted:

I liked the first half. The cities were really interesting (I'd play a computer or board game in that setting) and the plot looked promising. It was subversive, original, weird. Like something Terry Gilliam would make.

The second half was horrible, though. The characters, who weren't very strong to begin with, become completely one dimensional. It's all stereotypes and cliches, to the point some scenes seemed taken verbatim from other movies. I felt stupid and wanted it to end sooner. No idea why they didn't make a shorter movie and get rid of some characters. It would make more sense and cost less.

I did think a few times, it would have made a MUCH better computer game than a movie. The pacing between set pieces, the lack of internally consistent logic, the flatness of the characters, all would have made more sense if it was an unchartered-like game.

I thought it was especially bizarre, on reflection, how in a movie about 'cities that drive around everywhere' they went almost out of their way to make the cities feel about the same size as a ship? At no point did I get a sense of scale of anything other than like, the Titanic cruising around picking up fishing trawlers. I guess this makes it all a lot easier to shoot, because you just shoot a movie about a ship that eats boats, (jettison the 'catch', we need more speed) and then change the CG, and you don't have to actually think about how it would actually work at all. Which is a shame, because man, what a crazy idea.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Guy Mann posted:

Yes, if there's one place that needs to spend less time demonizing sex in its childrens media institutions its the country that gave us Jimmy Seville and has spent the past few years making Paedogeddon into a documentary.

Yeah, because everyone knows when you stigmatize sex to children, that makes for less pedophiles.... what? I guess maybe it's not super clear to Americans (or, non BRITISH-PAEDOPH-ISLES citizens) that our problem has always been 'no sex please, I'm British'. It's not at all the same thing as the puritanical 'demonization' that you have, where it's decried and called disgusting and abhorrent to God or whatever. No, what we have is just a quiet 'tut', and everyone turning to look the other way if someone asks where babies come from, with a dutiful scolding glance from the Matron of the situation. I guess it's like, a holdover from the Victorian sensibilities, :decorum:. It means that there's basically no education on the matter, except from media. It is of zero surprise then that we have basically the highest teen pregnancy of anywhere. Like I get that it's not just sex on screen that's going to remedy this, but the whole PAEDOGEDDON thing is very obviously related; one of the biggest revelations about it all was just how well known about it was, but no one said anything. "You just didn't talk about it". That's our whole problem right there, we're super afraid to talk about any of it. Stiff upper lip, keep calm and carry on n all that. (Think of England!) I think that part of changing that would be to admit that maybe someone having their head blown off with a shotgun is actually 'more' taboo than having sex.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Blazing Ownager posted:

Not a good sign for your hundreds of million dollar blockbuster: CineD hasn't even hit page 2 and it's almost out of theaters entirely.

What in God's name are you blathering about?

I'm voting the thread change it's title to 'Mortal Engines: the whole PAEDOGEDDON thing is very obviously related' in honor of this post

Hahaha, yeah, sorry, I had just had coffee and was typing incredibly emphatically. Of course the movie had nothing to do with pedo, I meant the lack of communication around sex was related. I don't think the movie really cares much for social commentary much at all beyond the "separating kids at the border" comment, which is rare (lazy?) for a YA movie. It almost says something about colonialism = bad and dropping the bomb on Hiroshima was a bit much, but, doesn't even really get that far.

/edit: oh also if you're not familiar with Brass Eye then my post comes across even more insane?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 31, 2018