Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
London
Nom
Nom
Nom
Goku
View Results

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think my opinion of this was a bit colored by having read the books growing up. They definitely sanitized it a bit and generally the tone is a lot less bleak. Overall I think they didn't do a bad job, but there was some clunky dialogue and incredibly unsubtle foreshadowing ( why is Tom showing off a superweapon killswitch ten minutes into the movie

I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the cities themselves, and it's a shame we don't get to see more of London, but it's understandably difficult for a movie to have both the rambling adventure outside and the slow-burning mystery inside London that the books have.

One thing I was confused by is Shrike's entire intro scene. I think the whole prison scene is not in the books. I know it's supposed to build up the big scary terminator for his introduction, but I feel like the books handled it better - he just loving shows up screaming HESTER SHAW and Hester is like "oh yeah I have a robot zombie stalker btw".

And then Valentine blows up the prison, which I feel like would do the opposite of covering up his past. Was that London's prison? Won't someone notice?

At least they showed off Shrike's creepy doll collection which i was personally hyped for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This film was an absolute loving mess, but I enjoyed every second. Hugo Weaving owns, sexy kung fu aviatrix owns, zombie step dad owns.

The auswitz imagery is in shockingly poor taste for a rollicking YA adventure, and the constant swirling camera is just awful. But I was never bored, so it's miles ahead of the Hobbit.

I think the immigration scene is more a dig at ICE than anything else. The sequence itself is straight out of the books, but the announcement about child separation isn't.

It's an early indicator for a young adult audience that the Municipal Darwinism stuff is not actually in everyone's best interest. It's interesting how it comes across today given the books were written like 20 years ago

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

The mobile cities take too much of a backseat to the by-the-numbers drama, I think. I'm rereading the books after watching this, and the world is more fleshed out. You hear about lots of other cities even though the character's din't visit them. In the movie it's London, Salthook, and a couple of tiny towns.

The books hold up pretty well. And yeah as mentioned there is a LOT more death in the books. But it makes thematic sense for things to be bleak. Cities eating cities is obviously unsustainable and the violence of the books reflects it.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

!Klams posted:

I did think a few times, it would have made a MUCH better computer game than a movie. The pacing between set pieces, the lack of internally consistent logic, the flatness of the characters, all would have made more sense if it was an unchartered-like game.

I thought the same thing after seeing the movie. I remember when i read the original books I thought it would be a cool strategy game where you eat smaller towns to upgrade your own etc.

Nowadays I think I would prefer a Bioshock style game, some action with a focus on narrative and exploration. Maybe you could be an Anti-Traction League spy infiltrating various cities. Or you could play a stalker, for a more Wolfenstein style experience.

Although I think my dream game would be a Freelancer style game where you play an aviator and you fly all over the world trading and taking jobs. Cities are constantly moving around and eating each other, and you can influence what happens depending on the jobs you take. Or you can just explored the wastes looking for old-tech.

comedy option: a very, very ambitious Cities: Skylines mod.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I laughed a lot at his intro scene. goodbye, tiny colin farrel