Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Created by Sony Pictures Animation and produced by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse tells the story of a Miles Morales, a smart, awkward kid from Brooklyn who is bitten by a radioactive spider and begins to develop strange powers. Searching for answers, he runs into the costumed hero you and I all know as Spider-Man. And then, after a run-in with a supercollider, he runs into another one. Then four more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUzgg84iacY

Before you know anything else, know that Into the Spider-Verse is good. Very good. It's currently sitting at 97% on Rotten Tomatoes with 237 reviews, an average of 85% on Metacritic, and is dominating the box office (Sorry Mortal Engines). Once you've seen it, of course, you'll know why: the movie makes the absolute most of animation as a medium and is utterly breathtaking to see in motion. The writing is great as well, delivering some incredible jokes along with moments of genuine tension and emotion. The soundtrack is good, the use of color is fantastic, it's got great action and fight scenes... long story short, if you like animation, you'll love this movie. If you like superheroes, you'll love this movie. And if you hate both of those... you'll still probably like this movie. It's that good.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Receives 10/10 from Pick.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Easily the best Spider-man movie in 15 years and that really undersells just how good it is.

Not many movies look remotely that good from start to finish, I can't believe that came from Sony.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I will reiterate what I said in the other thread - this movie could have used a little more time to let some things develop, but that's really the only criticism I have. Miles is a fun character. The visuals are without comparison. I saw it in a Dolby theater where the sound system and the cushy seats are supposed to be the draw, but I might go back to see it again in IMAX if I have the chance.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Really neat article on the process that went into creating the movie's look and feel:

https://twitter.com/pramsey342/status/1072665741307056128

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also worth noting, for any photosensitive goons out there: there are tons of rapidly flashing lights throughout the movie, especially in the background for pretty much the entire 10ish-minute climax.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Thanks for making this thread. I loved this film. Every pixel, every frame just radiated this love of Spider-Man on a level that in all honestly could probably never be achieved in live action.

All the characters were great, and while it was expected that Peni, Ham, and Noir would be relegated to the background, I never thought of them as throwaways compared to Peter, Miles and Gwen.

Things go really fast and it's easy to miss details in a single viewing.

My favorite detail I caught the second time: When Miles shows up at the end to join the battle, Peter says that he loves him and then as a quick aside, says, "Do I want kids?" and then we see Peter in the epilogue at MJ's with flowers. That was neat.

I'm seeing it again with my nephew tomorrow and I can't wait.

Kabraxis
Mar 22, 2003

Well I guess it's lucky for me I'm not unarmed. Seeing as I'm....eating your beans.
My kid and I just got back from this one and holy crap. I have often thought that Marvel needed to lean into animation like DC does and to think that this came out of Sony is kind of amazing. The visual style of this movie is unparalleled. They do a thing where they add comic elements to the scenes that really adds a lot to each situation.

Miles is great. His dad is likewise great. The story with his uncle is really well done. It's hard to talk too much about it without going into spoilers so I just won't. All I will say is if you're a fan at all of Spider-Man, see this movie. The plot is really well done and the whole movie is dripping with heart. Like the best written Spider-Man comics there are parts that are gut-punchingly sad while being able to find witty appropriate humor throughout.

I know Sony has already greenlit another film in this universe and it's deserved. All I want now is more animate stories told of this caliber for other characters. They're onto something here.

Edit: And to echo Regalingualius, if you're an epileptic goon or otherwise photosensitive goon, maybe steer clear? There are tons and tons of flashy glitched out light sections throughout the film. It's beautiful, but I could see how it could be harmful for some.

Kabraxis fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 15, 2018

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I really only have minor complaints, like Peni Parker being turned into comedy relief, no subtitles for the spanish, would have preferred more time to the three minor spider-people and perhaps a little less on non-essential Miles story.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

How was Spider-Ham?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Almost no one who goes to see this movie is going to know anything about the "Spider-verse", and frankly I thought there was a completely appropriate amount of the tertiary spider-people, who, much like Zebra Man or Clock King, are "real" from comics but no one knows or cares about and certainly don't want to see a lot of.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
99% of the people who watch this film are going to assume Penny Parker is a gimmick character for this film alone, like Spider Man Noir and Spider-Ham, and will not look into it further. It's as it should be.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
So is this the Spider-Man version of the TMNT movie where they meet all the alt universe copies of themselves from goofy 90s to grimdark original comic?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

504 posted:

So is this the Spider-Man version of the TMNT movie where they meet all the alt universe copies of themselves from goofy 90s to grimdark original comic?

Sort of except that I'm not even 100% sure the "real" Spider-Man is there (not totally sure if they're committed to fuckup Spiderman being "real" Spiderman)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Pick posted:

99% of the people who watch this film are going to assume Penny Parker is a gimmick character for this film alone, like Spider Man Noir and Spider-Ham, and will not look into it further. It's as it should be.

99% of people are probably seeing it thinking that the movie is about the Peter Parker they know, and have no idea who Miles Morales or Spider-Gwen is.

I don't expect the audience to know these very minor spider-people, I just would have liked the movie to perhaps give them a few minutes more each, and there was no need for more than one comedy relief.
But these are all minor complaints in an otherwise great movie.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pick posted:

Sort of except that I'm not even 100% sure the "real" Spider-Man is there (not totally sure if they're committed to fuckup Spiderman being "real" Spiderman)

when the device pulls through all the Spider-people there's a quick shot of numbered dimensions and 616 was on there.

My only very minor complaint was that the film didn't have time for a few of Pete's emotional beats, like he had zero reaction to seeing Gwen, but it's also not his story so it's understandable.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

howe_sam posted:

when the device pulls through all the Spider-people there's a quick shot of numbered dimensions and 616 was on there.

this means nothing to me

Kabraxis
Mar 22, 2003

Well I guess it's lucky for me I'm not unarmed. Seeing as I'm....eating your beans.

Pick posted:

this means nothing to me

The 616 Universe is where the "real" Peter Parker comes from.

Edit: I also think it's pretty clear the "real" Spider-Man isn't in this one. Spider-Man never gets killed by Kingpin. Our Spider-Man also doesn't have a Batcave under Aunt May's house. Peter B. Parker is pretty close to the real thing, but I just don't think so. It doesn't matter though. Literally the last line of the movie is about how anyone can wear the mask. It just takes guts.

Kabraxis fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 15, 2018

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

howe_sam posted:

My only very minor complaint was that the film didn't have time for a few of Pete's emotional beats, like he had zero reaction to seeing Gwen, but it's also not his story so it's understandable.
Multiverse and all, he could be from a branch that just focuses on Peter and MJ from the get-go and doesn't have a Gwen, like some of the movie versions. He does react to seeing her ('oh you know her, that's cool'), but there's no visible recognition.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Davros1 posted:

How was Spider-Ham?

Doesn't get a lot of time, but he's completely in character. Gets a good moment in the end battle.

And yeah, if Sony wants to spin off and make Spider-Ham and Noir and Penni Parker movies I'm all for it. They already said the sequel is gonna be about Gwen and Miles and that's a really good decision. I loved how Gwen's world looked.

Also really excited if they decide to spin something off with the character after the end credits too.

hathfallen
Dec 22, 2003
I was worried from some of the trailers that the animation wasn't going to be up to par but it really, really was, especially in some of the later scenes. At first I did feel like the Miles story tended to drag but then I realized the story is really about him and the other Spider-people are reflections of what he could possibly become.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For me, the real breakout animation was on Kingpin himself. It's amazing that they made essentially a "void" so powerful. He's way smaller than Green Goblin, for example, but he seems IMPOSSIBLY HUGE even when he's not. Amazing.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Pick posted:

For me, the real breakout animation was on Kingpin himself. It's amazing that they made essentially a "void" so powerful. He's way smaller than Green Goblin, for example, but he seems IMPOSSIBLY HUGE even when he's not. Amazing.

They did a great job framing him. Incredibly imposing.

I LOVED this movie. I don't really have any immediate complaints about it. I'm glad Miles has finally been told on screen, and I liked the decision to not subtitle any of the (small amount of) Spanish. Context clues were enough to pick up on it if you don't speak Spanish, and it made it more immersive to not subtitle it. I expected a lot of the animation, but it was even better than I expected. Definitely the most comic book feeling comic book movie, and I have pretty high hopes for more in this style. I think it's going to be pretty difficult to hit the same highs though.

Hell yeah Spider-Man 2099.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pick posted:

That is exactly what I was coming in here to post. He's full on Bill Sienkiewicz but they way they animate him is amazing. He is this dark void that just seems to dominate any scene he is and with the film's use of color that is tremendously striking. He just feels like a horrifying intimidating presence.

I think it's meaningful that when he gets physical you never question it. A lot of Kingpin stuff fails at this in other mediums but here it feels innate to who he is, largely because the violence he does feels primal. I also think it helps a lot that the violence is often masked or hidden, relying on the style to convey the impact. It actually makes him a lot scarier.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I find it difficult to believe that Kingpin could ever have reproduced, never mind financing a super-collider in an attempt to replace his dead family.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Just got out of this movie. I hope it makes a billion dollars. It succeeds with the characters so well that I just wanted a five hour movie where all the spider people hang out a occasionally take out a member of their rogues gallery, but mostly just hang out a be funny and cool.

The only moment I thought felt contrived is how Miles dad gets to the supercollider room suddenly. Felt like they needed him to be there for the emotional beat so suddenly he was. No sense of how he somehow ended up so far underground without backup.

So many great jokes and incredible sequences in this movie. And it’s everything I’ve ever wanted out of Cg rendering. Beautiful stuff.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I always thought the Prowler was a dumb joke but boy did the translation to film made him legit terrifying

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

That is exactly what I was coming in here to post. He's full on Bill Sienkiewicz but they way they animate him is amazing. He is this dark void that just seems to dominate any scene he is and with the film's use of color that is tremendously striking. He just feels like a horrifying intimidating presence.

I think it's meaningful that when he gets physical you never question it. A lot of Kingpin stuff fails at this in other mediums but here it feels innate to who he is, largely because the violence he does feels primal. I also think it helps a lot that the violence is often masked or hidden, relying on the style to convey the impact. It actually makes him a lot scarier.

You can actually buy that this Kingpin could kill Spider-Man by just loving whaling on him. Total physicality.

They made Green Goblin huge (I thought this was cool too) but Kingpin just comes across as so much more dangerous.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I went to see this today with my kid and it was...good. But I don't get the overwhelming praise for it overall and, as much as I liked the overall style, I hated the jerky animation. It was pretty cool and better than a lot of stuff I've seen but I'm not sure I buy into all the hype.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Unbelievably amazing movie, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned my favorite part of the movie: Doc Ock. Great surprise (oh she's a villain OH she's OCK), incredible design (I loved the flexi-pneumatic look of the arms) and I think "oh good, Liv" is the line of the movie.

The visual styles, where everyone's got a signature color palette and art; the music; I honestly can't thing of a single criticism beyond "Miles' arc is the now-standard firsf-movie arc," and even then it's a really good example of it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I always thought the Prowler was a dumb joke but boy did the translation to film made him legit terrifying

I thought his design looked weird and...unbalanced? Like his gloves and boots were huge but the rest of him was really thin and the spiky cape collar looked goofy.

But Jesus Christ that noise

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sound design on Prowler was incredible.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Post movie thoughts

Not much of a spoiler but has only been out on two days for the states

Do you think we'll end up revisiting Miles story? I've read the comics and I feel like the things after what the movie covered are just reactions from the previous established Ultimate Spider-man world. As of right now I'm not sure I would like to see much Miles in a sequel as much as I want to see other Spider-Heroes and having their worlds interact. From what I'm gathering thats actually whats going to happen with a Spider-Woman movie in production presumably using the same style.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I want as much black Spiderman as possible, as black as possible. In fact, replace every Spiderman with someone half-black, half-Latino, like Miles, and Spiderman movies are banned from having songs by white people, until Mickey Mouse is public domain.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Post movie thoughts

Not much of a spoiler but has only been out on two days for the states

Do you think we'll end up revisiting Miles story? I've read the comics and I feel like the things after what the movie covered are just reactions from the previous established Ultimate Spider-man world. As of right now I'm not sure I would like to see much Miles in a sequel as much as I want to see other Spider-Heroes and having their worlds interact. From what I'm gathering thats actually whats going to happen with a Spider-Woman movie in production presumably using the same style.

They've already said the sequel is going to focus on Miles and Gwen so we absolutely are.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Pick posted:

I want as much black Spiderman as possible, as black as possible. In fact, replace every Spiderman with someone half-black, half-Latino, like Miles, and Spiderman movies are banned from having songs by white people, until Mickey Mouse is public domain.

Armond had a very late and very Armond take on Miles.

Armond White posted:

The temerity of retelling a Spider-Man tale by pandering to the nonwhite demographic (and those who flatter themselves for condescending to it) reveals how brazen the media have become.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I really enjoyed it. I do wish we could have seen just a little more of the three lesser Spiders, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pick posted:

I would've gone with Spider-Punk over Noir personally but that character deserves his own film in this political climate.

Did anybody else have a weird screen effect midway through? When they steal the computer there was a pattern that looked like smoke in the center of the screen. I thought it was stylistic but it persisted up to May's basement and felt out of place.

Anyway everyone gushed all my points but I can't praise the villain designs enough. They're all cool and imposing in ways they don't tend to be in other properties. They really nailed Kingpin being this sad slab of meat until he's actually standing beside you and it's like "oh gently caress I'm fighting a human wall."

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
There are many, many things I really liked about this movie but if I have to pick one thing out of the pack I think some kind of special congratulations should go to whoever is responsible for them going completely dark on Doc Ock's role in the movie, I didn't see it given away anywhere in trailers or clips they put out which made it a great twist that caught me by surprise.

Also the first Stan cameo in a long time that hasn't pulled me out of the movie and made me roll my eyes. I wish it was the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Pick posted:

Sound design on Prowler was incredible.

yeah I thought it was a goofy choice (I know he's in the comic origin), but yeah those sound cues. My kid was loving terrified. I was worried me might have to leave.