Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Autechresaint posted:

Yeah there were a couple of scenes that looked exactly like what 3d looks when you take off the glasses, I was wondering if they messed up or something too.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My wife had the same problem

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I mean, it was just me in the theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

I really liked the movie and the animation style was unique and interesting, but I had to go to the front desk twice to make sure I wasn't in a 3d showing without glasses. I was literally the only one there, so I couldn't just look around. If I could change one thing about the film, I would tell the people in charge of the look that horizontal separation of the image to express depth is bad. Up until it was over, I was questioning if it was 3D despite being told no twice.

In my mind, this effect was trying to replicate the look of comics when they're slightly misprinted on newsprint, so the color bleeds or is separated from the line art.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Conrad_Birdie posted:

In my mind, this effect was trying to replicate the look of comics when they're slightly misprinted on newsprint, so the color bleeds or is separated from the line art.

That's what I told my wife but it still have her a headache, she never got used to it

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Conrad_Birdie posted:

In an interview, one of the directors (Peter Ramsey, i think?) says that there is no focus blur in the movie, but that they used CMYK color separation to the same effect.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That polygon interview is aces, and what a great process to make a movie, at least according to one of its art directors.

He also name dropped John Paul Leon for an inspiration for Spidey Noir. A guy who draws like this

I wonder if they can make that a film...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just got back from this, and I was utterly blown away. Visually stunning, genuinely heartfelt, and just generally amazing all over.

My favourite blink and you’ll miss it was you get a 0.25 second shot of Aaron’s TV when Miles turns up, and I recognised it instantly as this shot from Community:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ending spoilers

I'd assumed the 616 universe mentioned on the readout earlier in the movie was Miguel. isn't he from the 616, just its future?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

ending spoilers

I'd assumed the 616 universe mentioned on the readout earlier in the movie was Miguel. isn't he from the 616, just its future?

They've been a little cagey about this. 2099 is both Earth-928 as well as future 616, I assume to give them wiggle room if something goes really pear shaped in either timeline. Either way, I wouldn't assume anything is comics-canon until it comes up in the actual comics.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It occurred to me why I loved this Stan Lee cameo so much: it shows the genial, wise, friendly side of "Stan The Man" who's always giving out sage advice and is a friend to all kids and it was a genuinely loving tribute to his public persona, but it also cheerfully acknowledged his sneaky business-obsessed side. It was the most accurate portrayal of Stan Lee I've ever seen in these movie cameos.

The film did the same thing for Spider-Man: it was a genuinely loving tribute to the character and was a showcase on everything great about him but it also embraced all the dorky aspects of the character like the emo dance.

Re: the spider bite

ImpAtom posted:

I got the impression it was another multiverse escapee. It did have Alchemax written on it but that considering Spider-2099 in the credits that doesn't rule it out. It also just could have gotten there when Doc Ock or someone visited since it's right near the supercollider spot.
Also didn't the spider's corpse 'glitch out' when Miles went back to look at it, or am I misremembering?

ImpAtom posted:

Another bit I liked that made things feel less coincidental: Of course Uncle Aaron knew the spot he took Miles to. He works as Prowler and it would have passed it by frequently while visiting the supercollider.

Yeah when Miles asked him how he knew about that place he said something about how he goes to all sorts of interesting places because of his job.

That's also what I liked about the radioactive spider bite - in most Spider-Man origin stories they go to great lengths to show the spider being experimented on and escaping and then they come up with some random reason why Peter was visiting the lab or whatever on that particular day, in this version they drop hints about the spider's origins but go to pains to show that it's no coincidence that Miles was hanging around near the dimension portal facility because his uncle brought him to his 'workplace' to try and impress him.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also didn't the spider's corpse 'glitch out' when Miles went back to look at it, or am I misremembering?

It 100% did. Also, Alchemax is a direct reference to the 2099 canon -- the name of the company was not made up for this movie, and though Kingpin is involved with it in the 616 version it's not necessarily a direct connection (it's actually more related to Osborn.)

I think KP's collider is a lower tech version of whatever Miguel is messing with in the future, and KP managed to poke into the spiderverse only because the barriers between realities were softened by Alchemax-2099 somehow. One thing we never really get an explanation for is why the collider grabbed spiderpeople specifically -- theoretically, it should have been going for KP's family.

I'm also a little suspicious of Aunt May's underground spider-fort -- She apparently has some amount of cross-universe knowledge already? Where did the spider car and bike and all the uniforms come from? Is there a cabal of spiderpeople already doing stuff 'verse wide? We can assume that the original universe's Peter Parker was dead set against the supercollider running because he figured out for himself that it would break reality, but I think there's plenty of room open for it to have been someone else pointing it out...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

NmareBfly posted:

One thing we never really get an explanation for is why the collider grabbed spiderpeople specifically -- theoretically, it should have been going for KP's family.

it was going for KP’s family until Norman smashed Spider-Man into the collider. It’s what gave Liv the idea to use DNA to help lock the collider into the desired target

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 17, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

NmareBfly posted:

One thing we never really get an explanation for is why the collider grabbed spiderpeople specifically -- theoretically, it should have been going for KP's family.

We actually do know that!

The thing homes in on whatever's placed in the beam. During the climax, it's something related to Kingpin's family (I wanna say a hair, but holy poo poo is that segment a visual smorgasbord and I could be mixing it up). That's what starts bringing in Mrs Kingpin and Kingpin Jr.

During the initial test, it was Peter's head, shoved in by Norman. That's why we got spider-folk

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also, I gotta say, this movie had the best reveal for Doc Ock. I did not see that coming, at all.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Oh right! Well, the rest still stands. And yeah, I remember the hair in the second running, I just forgot about Pete's head getting stuck in on the first one.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

NmareBfly posted:

I'm also a little suspicious of Aunt May's underground spider-fort -- She apparently has some amount of cross-universe knowledge already? Where did the spider car and bike and all the uniforms come from? Is there a cabal of spiderpeople already doing stuff 'verse wide? We can assume that the original universe's Peter Parker was dead set against the supercollider running because he figured out for himself that it would break reality, but I think there's plenty of room open for it to have been someone else pointing it out...

I don't think so, I think that is all just the property of that universe's Spider-man. Those are all just different suits he's used during the years, and he had those vehicles at one point in the past as well

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, its like The Batcave and in this case, the Spider-Cave.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I don't think so, I think that is all just the property of that universe's Spider-man. Those are all just different suits he's used during the years, and he had those vehicles at one point in the past as well

I can see it either way, pretty sure it's meant to be at least a little ambiguous. How long does he say he's been spider-man in the opening monolog? I also thought when Miles goes back to see her and she's in the chair downstairs she had a real Madame Web vibe -- but this also might just be me way overthinking.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

I can see it either way, pretty sure it's meant to be at least a little ambiguous. How long does he say he's been spider-man in the opening monolog? I also thought when Miles goes back to see her and she's in the chair downstairs she had a real Madame Web vibe -- but this also might just be me way overthinking.

oh drat, yeah she did. I'm into that idea

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

NmareBfly posted:

I can see it either way, pretty sure it's meant to be at least a little ambiguous. How long does he say he's been spider-man in the opening monolog?

Ten years.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Which is canonically the same amount of time Spidey has been around in comics canon, and consider how much insanity got pushed into that.

Superhero timescales are hilariously dense. Gwen has been a spider person for 2 yrs and was a full fledged veteran.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

ConfusedUs posted:

We actually do know that!

The thing homes in on whatever's placed in the beam. During the climax, it's something related to Kingpin's family (I wanna say a hair, but holy poo poo is that segment a visual smorgasbord and I could be mixing it up). That's what starts bringing in Mrs Kingpin and Kingpin Jr.

During the initial test, it was Peter's head, shoved in by Norman. That's why we got spider-folk

AND Gwen’s insertion into the timeline one week prior to the “Spider-noggin in the beam” explains why the spider ends up in the tunnel the day before!

Also, I can’t find it on the soundtracks, does anyone know what tune Peni is listening to when she’s making a new goober?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

1stGear posted:

But Jesus Christ that noise

For real. This film is going to get ALL the praise for its animation and visuals and deserves it but, and this is coming from an animation nerd, it needs serious attention given to the sound design. The Prowlers demon noise (somewhere between J-Parks T-rex roaring and the Titanic ripping in half) is immense and does a lot to make the purple flashy cat man real real scary. Beside that you have little details like Spider Ham making little boings and honks as he moves about to further push his looney toons style. It's a great detail and nothing is done to draw attention to it or go "SEE WHAT WE'RE DOING HERE?"

And the soundtrack slaps. Uncle Aaron had good taste in music.

Love Doc Ock on so many levels. Starting with Peter assuming it would be a male who was head scientist and saying how he should examine his views (he's a slob but not a jerk after all) and then hitting the audience with that same "Oh yeah, I [probably?] didn't think a woman would be the Doc. It's just clever.

I could wall of text about the way it works with Great Expectations as well but I want to re-watch it first with a more analytical head on.

Quick fire thoughts: Gwanda and May are everything, Ham was great, Noir was funny, Peni was under used and I wish she was more like her comic counterpart but still had moments, I walked out before the end of credits scene and the Opening and Closing title sequences were dope.

Looking forward to the Gwen led spin off, optimistic about the announced sequel.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am hoping in the spinoff/sequels that if they do something with J. Jonah Jameson, they borrow the Insomniac games' version, who is retired from the Daily Bugle and is running an Infowars-esque podcast. It was fun in that game and I am sure that Miller and Lord's sensibilities would go wild on that.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Some info on the Peter from Miles universe: according to the wiki (so take this with a grain of salt) that Peter was supposed to be as competent as Spider-man could be so it makes sense that he would have a spider cave and all that other stuff.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Gaunab posted:

Some info on the Peter from Miles universe: according to the wiki (so take this with a grain of salt) that Peter was supposed to be as competent as Spider-man could be so it makes sense that he would have a spider cave and all that other stuff.

Yeah, that comes directly from interviews with Lord and Miller:

quote:

Q: Do any of these Peter Parkers exist in the same universe as the Sam Raimi films? Because you do pay homage to them early on.

Chris Miller: I think the idea is that this Peter Parker is an amalgam of all the Peter Parkers that you have seen in popular culture. So there's elements of the Homecoming Tom Holland Spider-Man, of an Andrew Garfield Spider-Man, of the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man, of Spider-Man from various comics and TV shows. And sort of in this universe the Spider-Man that comes to Miles' world is one that looks similar to but is not exactly the same as the ones that you know. And so, that's why all of those plots are similar, but there's a twist to them.

Phil Lord: Yeah, the Spider-Man in Miles' universe that he meets early in the movie was meant to be as competent a Spider-Man as possible, and is meant to be living in an alternate universe that we would all consider the mainstream comics universe. So you'll see that like he and M.J. kiss in the rain upside down, but she's upside down, and he's right side up. Just trying to find little ways to say, "This is a parallel dimension."

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

hiddenriverninja posted:

In an interview, one of the directors (Peter Ramsey, i think?) says that there is no focus blur in the movie, but that they used CMYK color separation to the same effect.

That matches up with what I was seeing. I think it is an interesting choice in theory, but in practice it makes certain scenes look like you should be wearing 3D glasses. I found it really distracting. It didn't bother me in terms of eye strain or headaches or anything, just on a creative level.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Looking at the cast list, the guy who they got to voice Tombstone is actually an African-American with albinism in real life. Now that’s commitment.

Also the skinny guy from the Lonely Island was the Green Goblin which is kind of random. Did he even speak? It all sounded like grunting and monster noises

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

bbf2 posted:

Looking at the cast list, the guy who they got to voice Tombstone is actually an African-American with albinism in real life. Now that’s commitment.

Also the skinny guy from the Lonely Island was the Green Goblin which is kind of random. Did he even speak? It all sounded like grunting and monster noises

He has a few lines while fighting in the collider: "It's not up to me!" is the one I can remember

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Something that keeps popping into my head is the first Peter Parker's death effecting the people of New York. The shot of people getting notified that he had died, the Stan cameo with his kind words about Spidey, and the memorial with MJ talking and many of the crowd wearing Spider-Man masks or makeup is probably the saddest I've ever felt watching a comic book movie and I knew that the other Peter was going to show up so it wasn't really a "final" death. It was such a good little bit of paying respects to the hero I grew up reading, and I got a bit misty-eyed (the song choice is also solid for it all)

gently caress this movie is so good.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bbf2 posted:

He's probably Goblin because Rodney Rothman produced Popstar. Natalie Morales popping up as Miles' teacher was a nice surprise to me, I'm not sure if there was a similar reason why she was in the film but I appreciated it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This movie was great and I want more of it. The visual style was fantastic and truly a comic in film. I'm excited for more of this style and the spider verse.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009
I'm also fairly certain Jorma (Goblin) is also Spidey 67. In the credits he's listed as Green Goblin/Last Dude, much like Oscar Isaac & Greta Lee are credited as Interesting Person #1 and #2. And "Last Dude" is similar phrasing that would be a way to keep that spoiler under wraps. Also I listened this 2nd time watching the movie and it definitely sounds like him. Hope he sticks around for the next one.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

asecondduck posted:

He's probably Goblin because Rodney Rothman produced Popstar. Natalie Morales popping up as Miles' teacher was a nice surprise to me, I'm not sure if there was a similar reason why she was in the film but I appreciated it.

oh that was Natalie Morales? It sounded so much like Natasha Leggero that I assumed it was her and i must have missed that line in the credits.

Maybe Natalie got the part from Miles, they're probably related!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/felicihardys/status/1074113373409812483

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I've been listening to this song on repeat.

For the full sequence if you wanna relive it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euUGPQZoHw

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm waiting to see if I can find the aftercredits on YouTube because it's so funny

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, that comes directly from interviews with Lord and Miller:

man trying to remember what Andrew Garfield's spider-man was supposed to be and i've seen both Amazing movies.

e:

Ccs posted:

Yeah I've been listening to this song on repeat.

For the full sequence if you wanna relive it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euUGPQZoHw

lol 1:26. you can literally pause anytime during this and it'll be an amazing background

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 18, 2018

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Best Spider-Man movie I have ever seen. It is just amazing to watch in motion and the story is just good.

It's like LEGO Batman in the sense that it's a better movie than the movies it's actually based on.

Homecoming was good, but to me, this was actually MUCH better. It's the only Spider-Man movie to finally top Spider-Man 2 as my favorite superhero movie of all time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It only just dawned on me that when Peter punches the truck on his date in a flashback he's in his full Spider-Man costume. On a date!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Trying to check for sure, but on the Spider that bites Miles, does it say "Alchem X?"