Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Corrosion posted:

Trying to check for sure, but on the Spider that bites Miles, does it say "Alchem X?"

It says Alchemax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

That's what I thought, I remember seeing other props with that label. A roommate of mine said that the spoiler topic had that written on it, and I can't remember that detail specifically enough to say otherwise.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A Spider-Man Movie Ranking No One Asked For

1) Spiderverse
2) Homecoming
3) Spider-Man 2
4) Infinity War
5) Spider-Man 1
6) Civil War
7) Amazing 1
8) Spider-Man 3
9) Amazing 2

Let's all admit that the first Raimi movie was spectacular for the time but hasn't held up super great. The fights with Green Goblin look especially weird.

Spiderverse, to me, was a revelation. I don't get invested in movies a ton but I actually teared up a couple of times. Good family stories, especially father and son ones get right at my heart.

Day 1 Blu Ray purchase for me.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ccs posted:

Yeah I've been listening to this song on repeat.

For the full sequence if you wanna relive it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euUGPQZoHw

That cut to Miles' comic hitting the stack, followed by cutting straight back to the action is so loving good.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

If you're wondering if superhero disguises would work IRL, a guy sitting next to me turned to his friend during the credits and asked, "Why did Spider-Woman look so much like that girl at the high school when she took off her mask?"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rosalind posted:

If you're wondering if superhero disguises would work IRL, a guy sitting next to me turned to his friend during the credits and asked, "Why did Spider-Woman look so much like that girl at the high school when she took off her mask?"

Wow. Why even pay to see a film if you're going to pay so little attention?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 19, 2018

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Had the chance to see this myself tonight. Definitely the best comic book superhero film ever. So much style. Both the OST and the soundtrack are tremendous as well. I also loved it even had the PS4 Spider Man suit in the Spider Cave I messed up by forgetting today started school vacation so a whole lot of kids that wouldn't shut up, but I guess that's on me. Don't sleep on this one. I want to go back and see it on the big fuckoff Dolby Theater.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Skippy McPants posted:

Wow. Why even pay to see a film if you're going to pay so little attention?

Target demographic for "32 plot points you missed cause you're a dumbass" clickbait

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Inzombiac posted:

Day 1 Blu Ray purchase for me.

4K or go home.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The_Doctor posted:

4K or go home.

Man, I'm not made of money.

I don't even have a 4k TV, I think.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
When I was watching this all I could think about is how many armchair internet film experts say that origin stories are objectively terrible and more reboots should just tell the origin in an opening flashback and then get on with the story. Because this was an origin story composed entirely of other smaller origin stories and was one of the best and most original superhero movies ever made while the ones that do do that opening flashback trick like the 2008 Hulk movie and Batman v Superman are, well, not.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I don't think I've ever heard someone say origin stories are objectively terrible, only that it's a well-worn cliché—esspeiclaly for Spider-Man—so if you're gonna do one it better be good.

This movie dodges that complaint by being not just good but probably the best origin story to date. In part, because it recognizes that origin-fatigue is a thing and pokes fun at it. The running "one more time" joke and the way it pays off at the end are both incredible.

Hell, it manages to be an origin and a team-up story at the same time and does both of them better than anybody else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it genuinely helps that Miles is a character whose origin is effectively unknown AND who builds off a character whose origin is well-known. The film assumes the viewer knows MJ/Aunt May/Peter and takes it as a given and uses that to add context to the other character's origin so it feels fresh while hitting similar beats.

Also, you know, fuckin' dripping with style.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I think it genuinely helps that Miles is a character whose origin is effectively unknown AND who builds off a character whose origin is well-known. The film assumes the viewer knows MJ/Aunt May/Peter and takes it as a given and uses that to add context to the other character's origin so it feels fresh while hitting similar beats.

yeah, also I think this is the first big screen movie that has a new character taking over the mantel of a legacy superhero.

like, most big name super heroes that get big budget movies get reboots when their time is done, Spider-Man being a prime example, but I can't think of any before this point where we get a new character taking over for the established character, which is something that happens all the time in comics.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Also, I gotta say, this movie had the best reveal for Doc Ock. I did not see that coming, at all.

Same here. I saw the film last night as was like "Oh, okay, she's just hosed in the head, Pete's gonna knock her out and we're never gonna see her aga--OH poo poo SHE'S DOC OCK!"

I also loved the Krondon cameo as Tombstone. I know he only had like two lines in the film, but between that and Tobias Whale on Black Lightning dude's been killing it in villain roles lately.

I hope they bring back Miles' hoodie/shorts/sneakers costume for the sequel. It makes a great pairing with Gwen's costume especially because Spider-Verse 2 is gonna be Gwen-centric from the sound of it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I hope they bring back Miles' hoodie/shorts/sneakers costume for the sequel. It makes a great pairing with Gwen's costume especially because Spider-Verse 2 is gonna be Gwen-centric from the sound of it.

The hoodie and sneakers were a good look, but I think the idea is that it's his street cover. The tights are mostly black, so when the hoodie is zipped and his mask is off he can move around more or less "in costume" without being noticed.

I bet Spider-Verse 2 will go for a cotagonists approach rather than giving over the lead to either Miles or Gwen. The spinoff they've also talked about definitely sounds like it'll be her film, though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

The hoodie and sneakers were a good look, but I think the idea is that it's his street cover. The tights are mostly black, so when the hoodie is zipped and his mask is off he can move around more or less "in costume" without being noticed.

I bet Spider-Verse 2 will go for a cotagonists approach rather than giving over the lead to either Miles or Gwen. The spinoff they've also talked about definitely sounds like it'll be her film, though.

I'd be down for that definitely. I've been burned out on Peter's Spider-Man since Amazing 2 and I love the poo poo out of Miles and Gwen's take on the role, so anything with both of them in it as Spider-People, I'm all on board for it. I really hope Insomiac takes a cue from Spider-Verse and not only includes Gwen in the Spidey PS4 sequel but has both her and Miles as playable too.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

yeah, also I think this is the first big screen movie that has a new character taking over the mantel of a legacy superhero.

like, most big name super heroes that get big budget movies get reboots when their time is done, Spider-Man being a prime example, but I can't think of any before this point where we get a new character taking over for the established character, which is something that happens all the time in comics.

The Mask of Zorro?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

This definitely goes to the top of my list as one of my favorite comic books movies for visuals alone. One of my biggest issues with comic book movies, the MCU specifically, is how bland the visuals are and the refusal to even acknowledge the media they're adapting and Spider-verse just says "gently caress you" and embraces all of it.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I loved this for many of the reasons people already stated. It managed to include many things that I loved about Batman the Animated Series, especially its way of showing intense murdery things within a PG rating.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah for a PG movie there sure is some dark stuff.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah for a PG movie there sure is some dark stuff.

everyone had a cartoon space gun that never does anything then kingpin just took out a regular old gun that actually works and just shot someone and that is the most batman the animated series thing ever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And apparently went right through the Prowler's armor, for whatever good that did, but hey.

BTAS really wrote the book on how to work around network censorship and ratings boards.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's weird because for whatever reason when I see pew pew lasers I don't see them as threatening (possibly because they never hit anyone) but you see Kingpin with a 9mm and suddenly my brain was like "Oh poo poo! A GUN!"

And then Aaron dies completely bloodlessly, but you dont need it to be bloody and gorey because there's already a heap of emotional weight there

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And apparently went right through the Prowler's armor, for whatever good that did, but hey.

BTAS really wrote the book on how to work around network censorship and ratings boards.

Bullets! His one weakness...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Bullets! His one weakness...

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

This movie was absolutely fantastic and its visual style was amazing but the one detail in its character design I can't stop grinning about is Doc Oc's hair bun giving her the silhouette like an actual octopus.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Iron Twinkie posted:

This movie was absolutely fantastic and its visual style was amazing but the one detail in its character design I can't stop grinning about is Doc Oc's hair bun giving her the silhouette like an actual octopus.

I liked her octagonal glasses.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Iron Twinkie posted:

Oh my God, of course. I didn't piece the together!

I really like that Gwen had gapped teeth that were also uneven. It's super cute and great that they didn't feel compelled to make her statuesque.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hello, unique scoring techniques.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The_Doctor posted:

Just got back from this, and I was utterly blown away. Visually stunning, genuinely heartfelt, and just generally amazing all over.

My favourite blink and you’ll miss it was you get a 0.25 second shot of Aaron’s TV when Miles turns up, and I recognised it instantly as this shot from Community:

It's a perfect shot for that scene because not only did that shot inspire the creation of Miles in the first place, but Glover has played both characters. He voiced Miles on one of the cartoons and played Aaron in Homecoming.

ConfusedUs posted:

Also, I gotta say, this movie had the best reveal for Doc Ock. I did not see that coming, at all.

Fun thing I noticed on the second watch is that when Miles is late to class Olivia's name is on the screen in that video they're watching, but Miles is obscuring her last name.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Gavok posted:

Fun thing I noticed on the second watch is that when Miles is late to class Olivia's name is on the screen in that video they're watching, but Miles is obscuring her last name.

The glasses she's wearing in civilian garb are also octagons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
My only real issue with the film so far has been how did Gwen sneak into the most prestigious and exclusive private school in New York and pose as a student for a whole week with seemingly no record of her existing in Miles' world?

The answer is "It's a movie, it doesn't matter", but it's still just gonna bug me.

I hope they bring Liv back for the sequel because she was a phenomenal take on Doc Ock, but I'll also be cool if she's just loving dead too because her getting rammed by a random flying semi truck and everyone just shrugging it off was one of the best sight gags in the film.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

My only real issue with the film so far has been how did Gwen sneak into the most prestigious and exclusive private school in New York and pose as a student for a whole week with seemingly no record of her existing in Miles' world?

White privilege?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Spider-people are established to be geniuses; I mean Spider-noir solved a rubix cube despite being colorblind so I figure hacking into the school should be easy enough.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Corrosion posted:

White privilege?

Gaunab posted:

hacking into the school

I accept both answers. Thank you CineD :buddy:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear crow posted:

The answer is "It's a movie, it doesn't matter", but it's still just gonna bug me.

Ya know what bugged me about that bit? How did her spider-sense know to go to that school? What, is Gwen's spider-sense precognitive? And why was she undercover as a student? Like, taking classes and everything? You'd think if she's going there to investigate, it'll be to hack the computers and look up any people of interest, then tag and follow them. Instead she's... just kinda hanging out, going to classes like a normal student? What is that doing to help?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Ya know what bugged me about that bit? How did her spider-sense know to go to that school? What, is Gwen's spider-sense precognitive? And why was she undercover as a student? Like, taking classes and everything? You'd think if she's going there to investigate, it'll be to hack the computers and look up any people of interest, then tag and follow them. Instead she's... just kinda hanging out, going to classes like a normal student? What is that doing to help?

Apparently her spider sense is precognitive (or at least her wiki says so, not read comics for a few years and she's pretty recent). They kinda had everyone having crazy good Spider Sense beyond just "danger warning" with how it let the Miles universe Peter recognise him as a guy with powers straight away or let everyone know when another Spider person was in the area.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Maybe Gwen's perk is she has precognitive Spidey-sense, like how Miles has invisibility and electric discharge, Peni has a psychic bond with a spider, and Ham has, well, ham-merspace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mameluke posted:

Maybe Gwen's perk is she has precognitive Spidey-sense, like how Miles has invisibility and electric discharge, Peni has a psychic bond with a spider, and Ham has, well, ham-merspace?

Oh my god. Spider-Ham has a hammer. How did I miss that.