Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Also, I gotta say, this movie had the best reveal for Doc Ock. I did not see that coming, at all.

Yeah I loved her design. The Dr. Ock suit is very Metal Gear Solid inspired, taking some from Raiden's sneak suit in MGS2 and the Beauty & The Beast unit outfit from MGS4. I also love that the tentacles weren't metal, but looked to be inflated rubber cells, which reminded me of an experimental "soft robotics" tentacle that's actuated by internal springs that's been developed for a whole range of uses, from mining, search & rescue, and surgical purposes. Just a refreshing, modernized take, much like all the designs..

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm still disappointed we didn't get a tease of Japanese Spider-man, the one with the giant robot.

I'm really hoping the sequel will have Spiders-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Spider-Man Noir was bitten by a vessel of an ancient spider-god that wasn't radioactive so why is he there?

Also Japanese Spider-Girl was never bitten by a spider at all

checkmate libs

Spider-Ham was a spider bitten by a radioactive May Porker.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

nerdman42 posted:

He's new, but I'm very fond of Spiders-Man.

My hope is that he's in a sequel. It's totally a concept they could have fun with, although in a dark way.

My dream scenario would include cancer-ridden and radioactive Ruins Spider-Man being a Debbie Downer to the other Spider-People, so Spiders-Man takes him off-screen to console him, then returns moments later by "himself", claiming that Ruin SM "went back to his home dimension" and "he's in a better place now".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Space Fish posted:

People talk about 'the snap' well watch out in Antichrist for 'the snip.'

I feel like the incoming Spider-Women movie has plenty of potential to invent new Spider-ladies instead of having to look to the comics to echo gags (not that there's anything wrong with that). Heck, throw in Squirrel Girl as a scientist best friend and let Ryan North run QA on all the computer jokes.

Unfortunately, I'm certain that Squirrel Girl is a MIC property and not something that can crossover easily.

I'm wondering about Spider-Woman: she's basically related to Spider-Man by name only, having her whole thing being essentially a better, superpowered American-sanctioned Black Widow.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

It was choppy, and it was entirely deliberate. They animate most of the non-action scene on twos, meaning they hold on any given frame of animation for two full frames, to create the style. Normally it's something used in traditional animation to save on costs, but CGI doesn't work that same way. They literally had to tweak their animation tools to replicate the 2s effect because usually the software automatically generates inbetween frames.

I think it was a good choice. It adds to the comic book aesthetic, and it really fuckin' pops when they shift into 1s for the action scenes.

Yeah, I saw a making of where they go to the Ones on the "What's Up, Danger" sequence, but also ran the background at 60fps when he's jumping from car to car.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

porfiria posted:

Is there a Spider Man where Peter is a huge anthropomorphic spider who gets bitten by a radioactive man and gains all the proportionate strength and abilities of a man?

That's basically the origin story for Spider-Ham, instead being an anthropomorphic pig biting a spider.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the many, many goofs they had in the big crowd scenes during the animated credits sequence. I was too focused on the big ones at the foreground like all the Spider-Hams roasting a Spider-man on a spit over a fire or recreating exponentially bigger and more populated versions of that one 60s Spider-man meme to look over the others.

I was looking forever through those big crowd scenes for the "two Spider-Man (Men?) pointing at each other" bit and never found it. :argh:

Turns out that that's the '60s Spider-Man gag that I never caught because I left the theater early :argh:

Guy Mann posted:

Even as far back as Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs Lord and Miller have been incredibly good at packing their movies full of, to borrow the term from the people who made The Simpsons, VCR Gags so I'm really looking forward to getting to watch it from the comfort of my own home with a pause button handy. Even the small clips and stills they released as promos had a bunch of stuff I missed, like the different universes having ads for the Yugo and a big EA Sports water polo game.

I still love that the Times Square introduction of Gwen and Peter B. have so many tidbits like the movie posters for From Dusk To Shaun and Hold Your Horses starring Seth Rogen.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

You who else needs to be in a sequel, besides Spiders-Man, Japanese Spiderman and Italian Spiderman?

The Osborne Spidermen, played by Wilhelm Dafoe and James "So Good!" Franco. Everyone but Miles is perturbed by thus, but Miles thinks they're sort cool, what's the big deal?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The takeaway message I got from that scene was underlining the fact that Peni doesn't need her mech suit to be a bad rear end because after Scorpion wrecked the suit she just climbed out, grabbed the nearest blunt object and continued beating the snot out of him, which is also a continuation of the "Anyone can wear the mask (but it's who you are inside that makes you Spider-Man)" theme

She also recovered the suit's "spider" core before returning to her home dimension, so she'll be back in a new suit with the same core.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Given Spider-Verse May's technical acumen, it's not unreasonable to think they were once friends at some lab. It's also not unreasonable to assume there may be a more personal history, given that things tend to be similar between dimensions and there is, indeed, a romantic link between the two in mainline Spider-Man.

The other thought is Peter knew Liv and thus so did May by extension. They could have been colleagues in college and/or lovers before Peter settled down with Mary Jane. Miles' universe Peter seems to be around the same age as Liv, or Liv slightly older.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zore posted:

Mostly a lot of stupid stuff in the original comic where they hid the relationship between Jefferson and Aaron for a dramatic reveal by having Jefferson go by Morales. And the white dude writer really didn't think through the implication of Jefferson's last name being Davis.

Mark Millar's a CHUD, or it's British Isles, Brexit-loving equivalent. He knew exactly what it meant and he probably thought it was so loving clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zore posted:

I thought Brian Michael Bendis created Miles and all his cas

Ah, might be confusing him with Millar, because Miles was originally part of the Ultimate Universe, which was Millar's brainchild. I forget that both Miles was created by Bendis and about a year or so after the Ultimate Marvel line came out.

Bendis, as far as I know, is a cool dude.