Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just got back from this, and I was utterly blown away. Visually stunning, genuinely heartfelt, and just generally amazing all over.

My favourite blink and you’ll miss it was you get a 0.25 second shot of Aaron’s TV when Miles turns up, and I recognised it instantly as this shot from Community:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Inzombiac posted:

Day 1 Blu Ray purchase for me.

4K or go home.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

tin can made man posted:

Am I the only turbonerd that saw blonde spider Man and immediately gasped "Ben Reilly?"

The only real plot holes I could take from this are the aforementioned high school age gwen infiltrating a prestigious charter middle and Jefferson Davis apparently being the only cop in NY to the point where he's not only police security at the Kingpins Gala but also responding to emergency calls in Queens

Look, he's the best drat street cop in Brooklyn and Captain Holt believes in him.

He wasn't security at the gala, he was out on the street and saw weirdness going on with the building, so went to investigate.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fisk uses the Walter Bishop method of child replacement.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Where do you guys keep getting this spider-god thing from?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

and at the end of the series the thousands of wasps that think they're human get elected as senator of Texas

Can you try writing something a bit more fantastical please? Just ripping true to life stories is dull.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

OK.

Am I overthinking this or is this a thing.

When Doc Ock is on the TV in the classroom talking about alternate dimensions, She says something like "In an alternate dimension I could be really into leather pants." Is this a joke about classic Doc's terrible costume that you're only supposed to get an hour later while cooking dinner?

I believe he had leather pants in Spider-Man 2?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

asecondduck posted:

Your post made me think of the potential of the sequel having one of Spidey's rouge's gallery getting a universe hopper and teaming up with a bunch of other universe villians to commit a bunch of crimes. I imagine the Black Cat from Spider-Ham's universe is literally just a snarky black cat who is good at robberies. And the Lizard is just a lizard.

Actually, let's just greenlight a Spider-Ham film.

You’d think, but it’s actually a catfish. Literally, Black Catfish.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I don’t usually succumb to these sorts of books, but I picked up The Art of The Movie last night, and goddamn, that’s a gorgeous book.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Can you just all stop responding to him? He’s just an obtuse arsehole who seems to delight in this poo poo.

I’ve had him on ignore for quite some time, it’s improved my forums experience immensely, and I’d advise you all to do the same.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

So a thing I just realised. Aunt May recognised Ock and called her Liv like she says her friends do.

Don't Aunt May and Doc Ock usually have history in most universes?

Aunt May and Liv dated, confirmed canon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

And speaking of songs, I kind of wish the song that plays for Spider-Gwen's flashback was available on the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6RBTPMFATk

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Zore posted:

Peni and Gwen are roughly the same age (Gwen is 16, and Peni is at least 14)

The only adults we see in the movie are the Peters (B., Prime, Noir and Porker)

If I remember, they say Gwen is only just older than Miles, and Miles is 13 in this film.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

“Why’s he so weirdly buff?”
“Damned if I know. Blame the 90s.”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Next Spider-Man film directed by Tarantino confirmed

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kalko posted:

Speaking of IMAX, I was thinking how great it would have been to catch Interstellar on it, and sure enough after randomly browsing the Melbourne sessions list (where I saw Spiderverse) there is a single session of it later this week. Is this something IMAX theatres do in general? Do they re-screen older movies from some sort of IMAX's Greatest Hits collection?

Unfortunately I don't actually live in Melbourne so I've only seen a few IMAX sessions in my life, but drat, if I did live there I think I'd visit every week.

On occasion, yeah they do. I know I caught a screening on Tron Legacy at the imax several months after it came out.

Spider-verse would probably get a rerelease if it won the Oscar. It might even get one for being nominated.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Annie awards were tonight.

Spider-verse won, err, pretty much everything.

Basically it won all seven awards it was up for.

It should have been up for best soundtrack too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Spider-Verse won the BAFTA for best animated film. :britain:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’d do it. 4K spider-verse is going to be a guaranteed buy for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Xbox One S comes with a 4K Blu-ray player.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

loving OSCAR WINNER Y'ALL! :toot:

Edit: I just realised they held off the physical release so they could put the Oscar winner thing on the cover (or not if they hadn't).

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 25, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/status/1099859388498509824

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Film’s getting a rerelease this weekend, including in IMAX!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is that panther-shaped gargoyle a reference to something?

Context?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Just saw it for the second time, but this go around was in IMAX 3D. Still so good, definitely my top film of 2018. I’m so happy it won the Oscar and got this secondary release.

I legit teared up more than once, for various emotions. Aaron in the alley, the leap of faith sequence, the post-credits bit. Pure gold.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I love Aaron’s quiet ‘No no no no’ as everything suddenly unravels right in front of him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There was a great AskReddit post recently about ‘What film has given you a movie high?’ and OP sited Spider-verse. I can definitely concur with that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well this happened in the comics...

https://twitter.com/mleelunsford/status/1084990686892453888

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also, the Walmart exclusive figure is super awful and not worth the extra $5. The figures for this movie have been pretty terrible anyway...

Had to go look this up. It’s not too bad. It’s the closest likeness of movie Miles that’s out, which is pretty sad, honestly. I’m going to be picking up the 4K Blu-ray which doesn’t have any of these fancy add-ons. :saddowns:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I miss 90s shows where the heroes were resistance groups in a world ruled by a childish supervillain and the cops were evil robots.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Spider-verse makes me tear up at multiple points. There’s something in its DNA that just makes me so emotional about Miles and his journey. It’s amazing. :’)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Darko posted:

I'd rather get another movie about Miles and his specific and unique struggles as a young black-Latino superhero in NYC as opposed to even more stuff about Peter Parker, personally.

Very much so. Honestly, I don’t even want more Gwen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think that's just in the US. In the UK we only just got Homecoming. I think we're gonna have to wait until next Christmas for Spider-Verse if that's any indication.

Edit: Also Lord & Miller co-wrote the latest Spider-Man annual that's Spider-Ham focused. It's real good, check it out. I'm pretty sure one of the characters introduced in it (Spider-Guin - yes, Spider-Gwen as a penguin) is going to show up in a sequel. At least she will if there's any justice in the world.

You’re missing out the best pun.

Meows Morales. :imunfunny:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

[spoiler]That's not even the first funny animal take on Miles. There was Miles Morhames as Ultimate Spider-Ham in another comic.

Yeah, but that one was horrifying.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/pelagidae/status/1095904247974060032

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve seen it 4 times now and it’s wrecked me throughout every time. Happy tears, sad tears, just general too many feelings tears. It’s so good, you guys. :gbsmith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

“Maybe you guys can go around? Alright, thanks New York.”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1152176759007305729

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

so jefferson took his wife's last name?

Miles took his mom’s last name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Miles was introduced like, a decade after ultimate spider man started.

Yeah, Miles was introduced by Bendis as a reaction to the ‘Donald Glover for Spidey’ campaign before Andrew Garfield was cast.