Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Definitely see the movie in 3D if you get the chance. The animation style is perfect for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You guys really owe it to yourselves to see it in 3D if you have the chance. Saw it again last night, and it’s just as good when I’m not stoned off my rear end.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

There’s a thin line between bravery and stupidity.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

All the realities got blown up. Miles got put into the regular reality when they got remade.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Yeah. Spider-Man PS4 was really good, but this was on another level.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's a shame that they couldn't make the movie look good to reflect that. The visuals aren't beautiful, they're just complex. What they convey is completely pedestrian.

This is why you get so many reviews insisting that the movie is psychedelic, even though there's absolutely nothing consciousness-altering about it.

The movie is about a kid losing his individuality as his story is hijacked by others, and he turns into a consumer and then a product.

Are we allowed to tell you to gently caress off?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

It's something that was explicitly pushed on social media as an extension of the movie's "anyone can wear the mask" through line. It's not my thing but making fan characters is the way that some people engage media and both them and the people who made the movie seem to be enjoying it.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/spidersona

It’s super cute. Mine would be a universe where he caught the robber, and stayed a wrestler. All the villains become wrestlers too.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’m half surprised they didn’t get My Chemical Romance to do a song for Peni Parker.

And sticking with the music theme; I’d really like to see Spider Punk in the next one. Another black Spider-Man for Miles to look up to would be cool. He’d be a bad influence on him.

Also, I just realized Miles and Gwen’s dads are both cops.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It should have been about the wrestling. Written in kayfabe like the WWE comics.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Spider-Verse is now on Netflix.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We should also note that Captain Americat and Hulk-Bunny aren't recent characters, they were first introduced in the first Peter Porker comic 36 years ago:

I think I mentioned that Spider Ham is the oldest character besides Peter Parker. Noir has a couple years on Miles, I believe, and Gwen only predates Peni by a month.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Now I want to see Tom Holland team up with Japanese Spider-Man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Watching Evangelion on Netflix reminds me how messed up Gerard Way’s original story about Peni Parker and SP//DR story was compared to the more bubblegum anime style of movie Peni.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Can’t believe I only just realized thanks to the thread that Peni is partially a riff on this:

Kind of? She was originally just straight up an Evangelion homage. The spiders venom was getting pumped into her brain to bond her with SP//DR the Spider-Eva. They fight Mysterio who is (or just piloting. I forget) a giant floating eyeball.

Japanese Spider-Man had a good manga style story in one of the Spidergeddon one shots, by the goon who usually writes Spider Punk.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That reminds me that when Miles first appeared, Glenn Beck accused the Obama administration of forcing Marvel to make a black Spider-Man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

You read it wrong, hope that helps.

Did anyone watch the 3D version of Spiderverse when it was in theatres? I missed that boat and wondered if it added much to the film.

It was so good. The animation style lends itself to 3D very well. It enhances the movie without being distracting.

Definitely recommend getting high as a kite and seeing it in 3D if it ever comes back to theaters.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The 70s was full of awesome black heroes that made it well into the mainstream and were popular for a lot of the 80s and early 90s, then they got ditched and forgotten by the next generation. Also black people still have the same wealth they did in 1968.

Please don't read this as me saying "representation doesn't matter at all" - of course it does! - and more like thinking "Will and Grace did a lot to mainstream acceptance of gay marriage, but also rich gay people still hate poor gays and I don't think Black Panther is gonna stop some racist cop from shooting an unarmed black guy in the back". I've never had anyone able to explain to me how representation is going to fix the issues that are tearing America apart - the best I get is some line about "a postive role model" when in fact it's a power fantasy. The people "represented" are still largely gorgeous richies that validate our current economic order.

Just stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I hope Supaidaman shows up in Part 2. Miles already has a Leopardon toy.

I thought they said something about wanting to put him in.