Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Saw it. Was cool. Glad they didn't spoil a couple of the twists via the trailers like most movies seem to want to nowadays. Hope it makes a billion dollars cause I'd much rather have more movies willing to look this cool and sound this great and have this much confidence in themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I think it genuinely helps that Miles is a character whose origin is effectively unknown AND who builds off a character whose origin is well-known. The film assumes the viewer knows MJ/Aunt May/Peter and takes it as a given and uses that to add context to the other character's origin so it feels fresh while hitting similar beats.

yeah, also I think this is the first big screen movie that has a new character taking over the mantel of a legacy superhero.

like, most big name super heroes that get big budget movies get reboots when their time is done, Spider-Man being a prime example, but I can't think of any before this point where we get a new character taking over for the established character, which is something that happens all the time in comics.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear crow posted:

My only real issue with the film so far has been how did Gwen sneak into the most prestigious and exclusive private school in New York and pose as a student for a whole week with seemingly no record of her existing in Miles' world?

The answer is "It's a movie, it doesn't matter", but it's still just gonna bug me.

Ya know what bugged me about that bit? How did her spider-sense know to go to that school? What, is Gwen's spider-sense precognitive? And why was she undercover as a student? Like, taking classes and everything? You'd think if she's going there to investigate, it'll be to hack the computers and look up any people of interest, then tag and follow them. Instead she's... just kinda hanging out, going to classes like a normal student? What is that doing to help?