Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, wait, is his father’s name really Jefferson Davis, wtf happened there?

Comic book creators tend to do a bunch of things that they think are super funny subversions, like "haha wouldn't it be funny if a black man shared a name with a racist traitor? But it's okay because, he's like, taking it back! And also wouldn't it be funny if, like, there was a Spider-Woman who, like, Peter was literally uncontrollably horny for because of, uh, pheremones that I'm pretending is commentary on sexism and fetishism of female characters in comics? And what if her uniform was just a bunch of webs she shoots onto herself, so the readers are also uncontrollably attracted to her at the same time?"

Sorry I just peeked at the Spider-Verse comics to see what they were like and was reminded why I don't really read comics anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bbf2 posted:

Also the skinny guy from the Lonely Island was the Green Goblin which is kind of random. Did he even speak? It all sounded like grunting and monster noises

He's probably Goblin because Rodney Rothman produced Popstar. Natalie Morales popping up as Miles' teacher was a nice surprise to me, I'm not sure if there was a similar reason why she was in the film but I appreciated it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mameluke posted:

Maybe Gwen's perk is she has precognitive Spidey-sense, like how Miles has invisibility and electric discharge, Peni has a psychic bond with a spider, and Ham has, well, ham-merspace?

Oh my god. Spider-Ham has a hammer. How did I miss that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DC Murderverse posted:

edit: or a quick joke about lego spider-man

He could probably empathize with Newspaper Spider-man, both their greatest enemies are bricks.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So now I’m obsessing about DC Batman Jingle Bells in a Marvel movie made by Sony. :aaaaa:

One of the songs on the Black Panther soundtrack directly mentions Gotham City. The rapper actually namedrops a character but it's unclear who because it's censored.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like this is what Sony should be putting their energy into instead of their Aldi-brand MCU with D-list villains. The Spider-Verse would be perfect as a cinematic multiverse because you can make each movie generally standalone, but still have crossover potential.

Sick burn on Aldi outta nowhere (seriously, their store brand stuff ranges from good to better than the name brands)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

I was inside an Aldi once and the general atmosphere of it was the most depressing place I've ever been in in my life.

They recently did a redesign that makes it much better but there's some that can't be saved. The one in Rocky Hill, CT is actually awesome but the one is Bristol is pretty depressing

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Fish posted:

Heck, throw in Squirrel Girl as a scientist best friend and let Ryan North run QA on all the computer jokes.

Oh my god that would be the greatest thing ever.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Dragon Prince on Netflix did a similar thing but they held on, like, the sixes. It was immediately noticable in any dialog scene, and laughably bad at times.

I actually don't mind it at all in Spider-Verse--in a weird way, it makes the CGI feel more "real", almost as if it's stop motion.

Until 2018 I still hadn't been sold on CGI over traditional animation. I appreciate what studios have done with it, but I find myself returning to films like Road to El Dorado or Lion King or Aladdin way more often than, say, King Fu Panda 2 or The Incredibles (even though there's some amazing animation in KFP2, and the design of the Incredibles is fantastic). But between The Dragon Prince (which translated the ATLA "anime" style perfectly, especially in action scenes) and Spider-Verse I'm actually really excited for the future of CGI TV shows and movies.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Well it was fairly evident that Peter B. uses the shower/tub as a safe space for emotional healing (See: sadness montage). Likely it's a place he views as a home separate from the outside world where he feels free to feel vulnerable due to it's shelter. In order to feel 'normal' and 'functioning' in a time of emotional crisis, of course he would irrationally recreate traditions in the one place he feels safe.

As for the cat, it's a comics reference to his on-again-off-again romance with Catwoman-ripoff, Black Cat. Hopefully this thread will be picked up on in the sequel, if only due to it's implications.

Your post made me think of the potential of the sequel having one of Spidey's rouge's gallery getting a universe hopper and teaming up with a bunch of other universe villians to commit a bunch of crimes. I imagine the Black Cat from Spider-Ham's universe is literally just a snarky black cat who is good at robberies. And the Lizard is just a lizard.

Actually, let's just greenlight a Spider-Ham film.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I Before E posted:

No, Rouge is a Sonic character

drat you, autocorrect.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really hoping that there's like, three or four commentaries on the Blu-ray. One from the directors, one from the animators, one from the composer, and one from the actors (because those are generally pretty fun).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's an insanely clever design choice and I'm legitimately surprised that no one had thought of it before.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't have (and can't really afford) a 4K TV but Spider-Verse might push me over the edge.

I bought a Blu-Ray player just for Scott Pilgrim.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 12, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comfortador posted:

I don't want to buy a 4k blu-ray player just for this. Who has pretty dependable 4k streaming that I will be able to get this from digitally?

No digital content provider is gonna compare directly with the Blu-Ray, the bitrate just isn't there (and most people's Internet isn't either).

Maybe buy a PS4 Pro so the expense feels better ($400 for a console and 4k Blu-ray player feels better to me than $250 for just a player). Plus then you can play the Spider-Man game too!The Spider-Man game is great but it doesn't have 4K Blu-ray support which makes no sense to me but whatever.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 13, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comfortador posted:

I own a PS4 Pro, it doesn't come with a 4k Blu-ray player.

Wait seriously? My bad, don't do that then.

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe not comparable to a physical disc, but if you have the internet connection to handle it, 4k streaming is still noticeably better than 1080p.

Oh absolutely! But the question was if there was a streaming service that offered a 4K stream comparable to a disc and the answer is not really.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 13, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't iTunes 4K not true HDR either? Like, it's partially implimented or something?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that should be spoiled just in case. I still can't believe that the two most recent Spider-Man films managed to surprise me with a villian reveal, I should know better by now.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Mann posted:

So I might be overthinking it but depending on how you interpret the scene in the collider at the end Kingpin not only failed to bring back a copy of his family but he ruined his chance to ever do it against because he managed to drive away every single version of his family in the multiverse at once by beating up Spider-man in front of them. I have a hard time thinking of any villain who owned themselves so completely and thoroughly, let alone in a way that didn't kill them as pretty much every other superhero movie and animated family film is wont to do.
You're not overthinking it, I'm pretty sure that's exactly how you're supposed to interpret it.

I read somewhere (maybe here?) that the sequel could be an alternate universe Kingpin busting into Miles' universe to destroy everything because Miles' Kingpin messed things up with his wife and son and I think that could work pretty well.

Mameluke posted:

If you think about it, the collider opened up the same dimensions each time, so you have to assume that the Matt Murdock Richard Fisk was from either Gwen or Peter B.'s universe, and that there was a Vanessoink and Richog Fisk left on the cutting room floor
Oh maaaaaaan that's a missed opportunity.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the point is that in every universe where the Kingpin is the Kingpin in any sense that matters, he ends up driving away his family sooner or later.

Also, Peter Porker is striding the rather thin line between Spider-man and Deadpool.

It's really more old-school Looney Tunes in Spider-Ham (wait, am I allowed to say that? Like, legally?).

Deadpool does a lot of the same manic "anything for a laugh" humor and physical comedy that Looney Tunes did, but R-rated.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 13, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I loved this movie from the second the comics code stamp came up but this was one of the parts that just made me beam.

The glitching logos and rising, glitching noise that came with them was a pretty great way to set the stage but yeah, all it took for me to know I as in for a good time was the CCA stamp.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Target didn't have a single copy of Spider-Verse on the shelves when I swung by there earlier today (I didn't go there specifically for it). I can't think of the last time I saw that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh man Spider-Verse has the best dumb special feature since the Archer season 1 DVDs where they replaced the titular character with a dinosaur.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve2911 posted:

Movie ruled. Really wish I saw it on the big screen now.

I totally think they could've done without the three comic relief universe iterations though. Maybe just have one and give them more screen time (and make that one noir).

It's important to the themes of the film to show a variety of Spider-People. Peni and Peter Porker are important, even if they have less screen time than the other characters.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

meanolmrcloud posted:

I always leave a marvel/other big budget flick saying to my wife that with all their millions of dollars and armies of staff, it’s super loving disappointing that we get bland imagery and boring plot lines. They could do literally anything with these superhero movies but their vision is so hemmed in their focus grouping that these fantastical characters just do the same poo poo 14 different ways.

Spiderverse is a revelation to what creativity and having no caps on imagination can do. Every second of it was enthralling and exciting and I was genuinely sad towards the end that it would be over soon, and I couldn’t see more of it.

Do what I did and watch it again. And again. And again.

I've watched it 10 times since I saw it opening day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hiddenriverninja posted:

I have never wanted to disown someone so fast after a friend texted me a third of the way into the movie "Miles is wak"

Text back "here's the Green Goblin's response:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XshORRaNNNU"