Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I know that discussion has moved on from the question whether Peter B is 616 Spider-Man, but another subtle clue that he isn't is hidden in his "Let's do this one more time!" montage. There, you can briefly see his dimension's Doc Ock's arms reaching for him, and they are the arms of the Raimi movie Doc Ock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Currently rewatching the movie for the umpteenth time, and I just need to say how much I love Liv. Her "secret identity" is just perfect, what with the big hair and the nerdy glasses. It's such a great moment when she does up her hair and it all falls into place.

One thing that I haven't seen much talk about is how chatty she is during the fights. She is basically trash talking Peter all through the laboratory fight, and it's kinda unnerving because she is so condescending.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I love her chattiness. She's kind of like traditional Spidey in that she never stops talking.

As far as I've read the comics, most of Spidey's villains are like that, if only to keep up with Spidey while they try to squash him. Liv feels a lot more gleeful, though, probably because as you said, she loves her job.

I have difficulties putting it into the right words, but making Liv a woman makes her more fun but also more frightening. She's got a teacher thing going on, showing up first in the scene where Miles is late for class and gets quietly chewed out by his teacher. And she reveals herself to a Peter who's strapped down to a chair, dropping her lab coat. Maybe that's all just me being Doctor Oedipus, but I feel like there is a whole lot going on with Liv.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The very first moment in the movie making me tear up was Aunt May telling Peter B. he looks tired, but yeah Aaron in the alley was another big one.

I cry so much during this Spider-Man movie :cry:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I like how Doc Ock still gets teased early in the movie, though. You can actually see Liv's arm choking Peter Prime during the very first origin montage, which also references a bunch of moments from Spider-Man 2. You can briefly see Molina-Ock's arms reaching for Peter B in his origin montage, and Gwen is sucked into the multi-verse while fighting a more classic Doc Ock. It's just so much fun how the movie subtly maintains awareness of Doc Ock, and then drops Liv on you.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vakal posted:

The Michelin Man style arms was a nice touch as well.

Truth be told, they kinda remind me of umbilical chords. But that might just be me being Oedipal again.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I love this bit because earlier when he does the comic book backstory part he reveals aunt May is dead in his universe so when he says "I'm not ready for this" when they're stood outside I consider how weird that situation is. The way he reacts to her and softens up his voice when she steps up to him... :cry:

That Peter gets to see May again is definitely a part of it, but for me it was especially touching that May just acknowledged Peter B's struggle. He mentions during the lab break that he forgot how it feels to have someone looking after him, and he's been heroing a good deal longer than the other Spider-People and has consequently been through a lot, it felt like such a warm moment to have someone go "I can see what you have been through!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Taking back the name Harold Itler.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Counterpoint, if you ignore people you can't report them and their stupid asses wont get banned. Why do you want Lowtax to die?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

Going by those links provided, it reads more to me that he expressed skepticism of the claim that a black 4 year old would have never seen a movie starring an African American child.

Now, I'm white as hell, but that does seem like a bit of a stretch. Like, he's four! Why are we assuming his parents are negligent with their kids art or media? Even just sticking with Disney productions (which are hardly free of racism!) Miles is their 3rd Black main character in recent years.

Obviously there's no need to be as severe or dismissive as Lamps could be when expressing ourselves, but this is still the level of discourse:

Lol if you think it's only others (long dead) who are capable of creating toxicity, just lol

"Black kids aren't poor under-represented in cinema, they have a refridgerator Black Panther" is a bad take, OP.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Spiderman talks poo poo to hide his insecurities, he's a goon's goon.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

So my biggest concern is that the conflict feels a little reheated? Like the first movie was “miles gets powers but can’t use them properly and fucks something up which makes his Spider-compatriots say he’s not ready until he has a realization about what it means to be Spider-Man, after which he saves the day” and a lot of that is echoed in the trailer. Miles wants to be a part of the Council of Spideys, Miguel clearly thinks he’s not ready, presumably after loving something up or wanting to gently caress something up, Miles has a realization about what it means to be Spider-Man, after which he saves the day. Even the notes of Gwen’s dialogue hit that same “I tried having a friend, he died, I don’t want to risk you dying too” thing. I trust that there will be more to it than that; Miguel appears to be the idealized version of what Miles wants to be, right down to speaking perfect Spanish that would presumably not earn a B and piss off his mom, and I assume Miles’ gently caress-up is slightly larger scale than crushing a USB drive and watching his Uncle die because Miles made his guard drop.

I think it would be a little hilarious if Spiderverse ended up doing roughly the same plot as Flashpoint (loving with time to bring a parent back) because I have to imagine it will be wildly more successful than The Flash at making that story interesting

At the center of the Mutiverse Web, Miles utters the words "No more Spider-Men!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

GateOfD posted:

with how many spideys are in the trailer, like at least 1/4 of them are gonna get maimed by the end right?

If Spot turns out to be Carnage in disguise, I'm going to buy a hundred tickets.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Agents of W.H.A.T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

Originally Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage and Law-Enforcement Division, changed in the 91 into Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate, while in the MCU the meaning is Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division

S.H.I.,E. and L.D.