Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Choices don't matter if they're all false.

The movie portrays the universe as being connected by a spider-web, which is something spiders make to catch prey. So who made it and what exactly does it catch?

There's possibly infinite worlds with their own Spider-People, but what exactly causes them to appear and follow the same template. What exactly causes a freak accident to be replicated in every dimension? I mean, it's a bit convenient that Miles Morales becomes a Spider-Person just in time to replace his dimension's Spider-Man.

The obvious answer to all this that there's a Spider-God who made the web, is colonizing worlds with Spider-People, and manipulating events behind the scenes. For some reason (it helps catch prey, somehow?). This was of course already established in the comics.

This movie is so scattershot that a coming-of-age-ish story about a black teen superhero has a Lovecraftian subplot that's only barely explored.

into the spider-verse is a worm crossover fanfic, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the bit in the final fight where kingpin bleeds across dimensions while fighting miles is a visualisation of the idea that, because of who he is as a person, he'll drive his family away through his actions regardless of the timeline, imo

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

it's pretty patently obvious that the aesthetics of the multiverse resemble a spider's web. not really down on the whole spider-god thing but the general presentation definitely draws a connection between the alternate dimensions, spider-man, and the creation of spider-man as a work of fiction

see also how all the spiders-people introduce themselves "one last time", in a very meta reference to the part where spider-man stories keep fuckin' retelling the origin story

plus the part where miles ends up trying to avoid retelling his origin story only to end up watching a criminal shoot his uncle and learn that with great power comes great responsibility, despite being fully meta-aware of the trope

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

miles doesn't glitch because he's in his universe

???

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

derra posted:

It's me, I'm the nerd that knew something was up with Aaron because he had an Xbox controller in his pad, in a Sony film.

lmao

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Chappie had the immortality supercomputer powered by PS3s so the bad guy using a competitor console in Spider-Verse is downright restrained.

i'm fairly sure 'a whole bunch of ps3s plugged into each other' is a real-life thing people who can't afford real supercomputers do for a cheaper alternative, but yes

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

isn't "4 year old enjoys movie" the sort of quality discourse we created blockbuster video for

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

okay, now go back and look closer at the post to find what other context there is for the child and the movie

the idea that kids should only be inspired by people that look like them is bad and promotes weird essentialist concepts of race that are totally foreign to me as a non-american

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

mycot posted:

I see this thread has already hit the "being European makes me perfectly race-blind" point of posting.

this is an embarrassingly bad attempt to own me either way, but i'm not european

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Zore posted:

They were pretty clearly building up a romantic arc between the two. Like they end the movie platonic but they're both into each other and I expect that to be taken further in the sequel.

the hot new thing in hollywood is to have interracial representation but never actually deliver on it because it's very easy to dogwhistle in a way that reasonable people infer and move on with their lives while the rabid morons who would boycott your movie if the (it's always a black guy and a white girl) black guy and the white girl kiss won't do anything if they don't actually show them doing anything. i'm tempted to call it cowardice but this is 2019 and people might actually die if you commit to your beliefs so i'm not going to blame them for skillfully skirting the subject.

see also: detective pikachu (detective pikachu at least breaks the mold a little by having the black guy be interracial and have his parents be white guy / black girl but it's still rife with it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

a 4 year old american child has almost certainly seen teen titans go, featuring cyborg.