Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I may be extremely wrong on account of being white as gently caress, but I was under the impression that the tradition in Hispanic and latinx communities was that a child takes both their father and mothers family names as a compound with the mothers name last in the order, and Miles is afro-latino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The absolute best part of the spiderversr comics was the villain jumping into the Newspaper Spider-Man dimension and getting so absolutely freaked out that he immediately leaves.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Reading BoTL's rap sheet always reminds me why no one should respond to them in earnest.

I always think it's funny how people compare lamps to SMG, when the main difference is that Lamps always falls back on an imagined consensus to justify his hot takes, whereas SMG always had the dignity to present his ideas as nothing more than his own one man campaign.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I will not rest until Italian Spiderman is given his due

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Extremely lol of you to think that Disney would shitcan the only character of the marvel comics that normal people actually give a poo poo about

Spiderman isn't the fantastic four or loving ghost rider, Spiderman IS marvel comics, if they tried to dumpster Spiderman the same way they did FF then the entire comics branch would be shuttered within the year. Disney has spent the entire MCU trying to make up for the fact that they don't own the flagship Marvel character, and Sony genuinely has them by the balls here.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

There's just one spiderman I want to see in the sequel.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is that the origin of the famous ancient head-shake .gif? Better than I could have dreamed.

Italian Spiderman is absolutely magical and the creators also made Danger 5, which is similarly bizarre.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Let’s not forget that there’s a difference between “black kid watches a show about a black superhero” and “black kid watches a movie where Spider-Man, the second most popular superhero in America, is a black kid”

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Spider-Verse also uniquely engages with (American) Black Culture through its setting, style, musical choices, presentation of family, and other cultural cues that most other black heroes don't get. Even Black Panther which was widely beloved very clearly identifies the hero as African, while the (cool, but still a murderous misogynist) villain is coded as African-American.

The single most groan-worthy moment in Black Panther is when Killmonger takes over Wakanda and this is symbolized by the music taking on ~dangerous hip-hop bass beats~

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The MSJ posted:

He was actually from the Noir Marvel comic universe that reimagines Marvel characters in a realistic noir setting. So Cyclops have no eye beams but is very good with guns while Rogue steals the identity of rich women to scam horny rich guys. Spider-Man is apparently a professional thief or something.

they did actually have superpowers in the Noir comics, iirc Noir Spiderman has the usual suite of spiderman abilities but also carries a gun. He's basically a mix of the Shadow and the Rocketeer, gets bitten by a ghost spider after accidentally breaking open a mysterious idol and has a tripped-out hallucination where an ancient god gives him superpowers, which he uses to take revenge on the gangs of New York that killed his uncle and mentor, and also nazis.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Wait, hasn't 616 been the main comics' continuity since the 70s or 80s? Why would that also be the MCU continuity?

Because kevin feige and Disney at large are not exactly subtle about their intentions of making the MCU the de facto “real” marvel universe superseding the actual comics, and one of the multiverse MCU movies (either spidey 3 or strange 2) explicitly called the MCU earth 616 as a part of this.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Wittgen posted:

It is also so infuriating how Miguel blames Miles for getting bitten by that spider. Miguel basically ignores The Spot, the scientist who actually disrupted things by stealing the spider from a different dimension. It is all Miles fault somehow.

Miguel is obsessed with “canon” because he needs the idea of some cosmic self-enforcing Order that mandates personal tragedy for spider-beings because it’s the only way he, personally, can cope with the fact that he went through the wringer twice, presumably with one package of the standard spidey tragedy plus the loss of his replacement family. He resents Miles because his very existence as a Spider-Man that shouldn’t exist is a full-throated universal refutation of the one idea that’s letting him hold it together (after all - if his idea of Canon was true, then shouldn’t both Miles’ universe and universe 42 fallen prey to the glitching and rifts? And yet they persist despite such a seemingly massive violation) and he’s projecting all the blame of the situation possible on to him to try and justify his resentment.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The joke being more the Spot HAS always been a goofy side villain with him becoming a serious threat being a surprise. Though it might go with the idea of Miguel coming to see the recurring elements of Spider-man as necessary rather than just particular motifs that some of them happen to have in common. Heck, maybe if he actually talked to the one who caused the mess with Dr Strange he might learn a thing or two about how different things can be.

I mean the biggest point I realized after brushing up a bit is that for all Miguel talks about the certainty of canon events, Miles’ dad is historically not only not dead in most appearances, he’s the only member of the morales family who consistently gets out unscathed. Miguel’s whole thesis is fundamentally bullshit from the word go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like they’re going to “unlock” Miles in Beyond so there’s more of him in the spider-verse. So you get the comics one, video game one, various cartoon iterations, etc.

Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if, if they show any alternate spider-mileses, they were planning to hold them back for Beyond for the emotional payoff.