Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think Kingpin absolutely stood out as a huge contrast to whatever onscreen action was going on in a way that gave him some serious presence. Not just talking about the previously-mentioned juxtaposition of flashy color and black void, but the way he just shot Prowler to death with a real gun in a move where every other gun fired was a big, cartoony laser. That caught me way off guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Or you, you know, have 90 million dollars spent on an entertaining, stylish, and refreshingly distinct product. That seems kind of important too.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
They're undoubtedly secondary characters, but I think that's okay. They serve the triple role of comedic relief, animation flex, and providing a wide range of possibilities to answer the question of "what is a Spider-Man." If anything, the attempt of giving Penny a tiny bit of pathos with her spider-bot at the end felt a little out of place for that reason.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

I Before E posted:

I don't think they should have cut all three, but paring it down to one and really focusing on that one for comic relief would probably have led to a more interesting set of gags.

The gags would get stronger and you'd probably be able to get them some development, too, but you lose out on the relevance of a spider-multitude and get less chances to flex animation skill. It'd be a tradeoff, but an interesting one.

I vote Spider-Ham for that pick personally.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Peter was definitely the most glaring omission this movie, yeah, but he still had a lot of really solid scenes. I think the other three major Spiders in this movie were more interesting than Noir, Peni, and Ham.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Gaius Marius posted:

You could've cut all three from the first movie and have been fine with just Gwen and Peter.

Don't get me wrong. They served valuable functions in the movie! But it was A) communicating the "anyone can be Spidey" theme, B) selling the varied art styles of the Spider-Verse, and C) comedic potential. I wouldn't just toss them away. Its just that as characters, they're a bit more one note than India, Byte, and Punk are shaping up to be, even with their much lesser screen time.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Electric Phantasm posted:

That sounds incredibly exhausting

Jesus christ, yeah. Like, its one thing for Superman, who legitimately can be everywhere and do everything. But for your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

mystes posted:

I'm not sure he really was seriously supposed to be? In the scene where gwen is talking about the stuff she's doing with spider society and Miles sounds kind of jealous I guess there was like one line where she mentioned she left her jacket at his place or something where Miles might have been been thinking they were an item but it's almost irrelevant

to me during that scene he sounded much more like he was jealous of gwen for getting to be involved in spider society than jealous of hobie and the others for spending time with gwen

Honestly if anything the biggest "evidence" comes from Pavitr, who was teasing them the whole scene even before Hobie came up.